As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Buttoneering - Event Schedule and Official Button info added!

• The_Doctor1The_Doctor1 Registered User regular
    Hmm, definitely considering making some buttons for this. I made some my first (and only) time to pax prime and had a blast trading. I enjoyed trading cards last year, but it was harder to do the random meetups in lines and such, but with buttons, the participants seem more visible.

PAX East 2014 Checklist: [X] Time off [X] Plane Ticket [X] Hotel [X] 3-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Don't be afraid to get creative, either! Lots of people use their forum avatar on their buttons but you can always come up with something that's personally expressive instead of representative. My SO and I always feel that as geeks, we're morally obligated to find clever puns to illustrate on our buttons.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    Will be making a button and a bonus button.

Will not be making a recursion bonus button though.

I'll also bring all my old buttons from Prime, so finding me should net you about 5 or so buttons.

“Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
  • thedandmomthedandmom Registered User regular
    I'm tempted to give it a try this year

linkbanner.jpg
  • psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    Hmm, Spec Ops: The Line / MLP crossover button? "You're not a bad pony..."

“Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
  • scottyb1218scottyb1218 BostonRegistered User regular
    Uploaded my buttons...one avatar, one bonus. Looking forward to participating!

sig.php?id=222
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    As fun as it is coming up with buttons and neat to get other people's buttons, I just don't get rid of enough of them and always end up coming home with too many left overs. I'll probably... maybe... bring some old ones with me but that's it.

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Steel Fire wrote: »
    As fun as it is coming up with buttons and neat to get other people's buttons, I just don't get rid of enough of them and always end up coming home with too many left overs. I'll probably... maybe... bring some old ones with me but that's it.

I feel the same way about the trading cards. I have so many extras from just one year.

Once I get my shit together and get a button or two set, I am not getting a ton. My stuff will be limited edition!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2013
    @Steel Fire I've heard that from a couple people, but so many people I know run completely out super fast. Everyone has different experiences I guess, but I order a ton and I do not have a lot left over from either prime 2011 or 2012.

At least with buttons it's way easier to buy fewer than the cards ;)

zerzhul on
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Steel Fire wrote: »

Protip: Join the Cookie Brigade and wear buttons on your lanyard. You'll talk to hundreds of people and run out on the first day.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I still have a good deal of buttons left over from like... Prime 2011, or something... Regular and Bonus, which I'll probably hand out one of each to any buttoneer I come across just because I want to get rid of them, and also because they're smaller than the average size.
    I'll update my profile on the buttoneering site soon.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    zerzhul wrote: »
    At least with buttons it's way easier to buy fewer than the cards ;)

The fact that they gave us like 50+ extra cards when ordering was ridiculous.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    Unless my girlfriend is shockingly into this idea, I will probably be just handing out my old cards. :/

She might be though. She's all artistic and stuff. Super-awesome fancy ceramics.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    i've decided I will be participating in this. i want to have as many things representing PAX as possible on my Pax Sash.

7US7VWW.png
  • AboutLastNightAboutLastNight Whitney Registered User regular
    Just got my shipment of buttons today!

• Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    jonxp wrote: »
    N13 wrote: »
    Has anyone experienced trouble bringing his pins to PAX in carry-on luggage? I'm not planning to check a bag, so will these make it through TSA?

From the OP:
    Q. Will I be able to fly with my buttons. Are they considered an instrument of death?

As confirmed by the US TSA and experience from past years, 1' -1.5' buttons are not classified as an instrument of death even if you have a 100, and can be carried on or checked (they did say that depending on the TSA Agent you may be asked [forced at gun point] to check the buttons).
    But remember this only applies to people whose flight originates in the US. If you are flying into the US with buttons make sure you check with your TSA equivalent before bringing them on a plane. The TSA people here also highly suggested that you check with US Customs (contact via your local embassy) before you try and bring them into the country (they indicated that the problem isn't with the button it's with what you could be hiding in the button). Recap: If you’re in the US you can fly w/ buttons, if you’re not your probably better off mailing.

So far, no one has ever encountered an issue greater than a bag search because of all the metal in the carry on.

For Prime neither hubby or I have ever had any problems bringing our pins from Canada, we do have them in our checked baggage under the plane and not as carry on as customs can be a hassle and you go thru customs after you've checked your baggage.

• Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    Love buttoneering, and since I still have ample buttons left over from the last 2 Primes I will just be bringing those along for anyone who needs them , would greatly enjoy a Saturday morning meetup again as I believe it was a huge success at Prime that allowed those who would not be around after the Omegathon a chance to trade. (2012 Prime button was the same as my Avatar pic, 2011 button was 1 of my cats sleeping )

Love buttoneering, and since I still have ample buttons left over from the last 2 Primes I will just be bringing those along for anyone who needs them , would greatly enjoy a Saturday morning meetup again as I believe it was a huge success at Prime that allowed those who would not be around after the Omegathon a chance to trade. (2012 Prime button was the same as my Avatar pic, 2011 button was 1 of my cats sleeping )

Ohhh that would be great, I would love to trade buttons and cards from last year.

i have a question about the purebuttons site. am i supposed to upload my art on the template? or just use the template to size it and then send it without it? and is there any certain file type it should be in when i send it to them? i checked their site and couldn't find any of this information.

7US7VWW.png
    I second all those questions.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    i have a question about the purebuttons site. am i supposed to upload my art on the template? or just use the template to size it and then send it without it? and is there any certain file type it should be in when i send it to them? i checked their site and couldn't find any of this information.

For the PSD and Adobe Illustrator templates:
    Uploading on the template is just fine. The only thing to be careful of is to make sure that the guidelines they use to show where everything goes on the button are no longer visible. The filename doesn't matter at all.

For the jpeg template:
    Use it for sizing and positioning, and then make a png instead. You will be less happy with your results if you submit a jpeg than you will with a png due to lossy compression.

Additional note for the Buttoneering site: For best results , export your artwork to a PNG and upload that. That will result in the least chance for errors when I generate thumbnails and such.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    got my buttons in the mail yesterday and i'm super happy with them! i got mine a little smaller than standard because i just like 1" buttons and i think i could more easily find non-pax uses for any leftovers. yay for east buttoneering!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • xenardxenard Registered User regular
    I must find time to create a design

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
    did any of you use the template help or digital proof? i'm still not 100% sure im uploading it correctly but it gets super expensive if you use those things.

the way i was going to upload it was to use the PSD template to size it, then make the guide lines layer of the template invisible, and then save it and upload it as a PSD file. will that work? i really wanna do this but i am not willing to spend 40+ dollars on it to have them help me.

7US7VWW.png
    I would be willing to be that some of the people in this thread would be able to help you get the file into the format it should be in for uploading if you ask nicely :)

(I'm not one of them, I don't have photoshop or illustrator)

that was me asking. :P

7US7VWW.png
    I can help with file formatting too, I have photoshop and the like

i have everything i need to do what must be done (sounds ominous) im just not sure what needs to be done. i dont want to spend 20 bucks on something and have it come out terrible.

7US7VWW.png
    edited February 2013
    did any of you use the template help or digital proof? i'm still not 100% sure im uploading it correctly but it gets super expensive if you use those things.

the way i was going to upload it was to use the PSD template to size it, then make the guide lines layer of the template invisible, and then save it and upload it as a PSD file. will that work? i really wanna do this but i am not willing to spend 40+ dollars on it to have them help me.

That's exactly what you should do. Just stick your artwork in their PSD, and make sure the guide lines are invisible.

jonxp on
    awesome. thanks for the confirmation.

7US7VWW.png
  • CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    I have a few leftover buttons I think, but I don't think I'll have new ones made for east.

• KapolKapol Registered User regular
    I might do it. I'm not a normal member around here though, and it depends on the price. I'd like just order 50 1.5 inch buttons. It'd most likely just be my avatar and maybe usename... though I need to figure out how to make a spinning GIF work on a button... :P

yeah im going with 50 as well. you save some money and i cant imagine handing out more than 50 in one pax.

7US7VWW.png
    yeah im going with 50 as well. you save some money and i cant imagine handing out more than 50 in one pax.

I think for this PAX East, 50 is probably the right number, since buttoneering is new for East.

To give you an example of how popular this is at PAX Prime though, I know some people who bought 200 and were out after the first day. I typically buy 150 and come home with between 0 and 25 from Prime.

• PurpleBekPurpleBek Manchester, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Small question, I would love to get in on this but I will probably try make my own buttons. That's fine isn't it?

pax%20sig.png
    PurpleBek wrote: »
    Small question, I would love to get in on this but I will probably try make my own buttons. That's fine isn't it?

Totally fine. Pin back buttons are just one way to participate. Last year we had ribbons, decorative cloth pins (for lack of a better word), 3D printed pins, and all manner of home made buttons. Additionally, if you want your buttons made somewhere besides Purebuttons, feel free! We just suggest them since we've had good luck with those guys, but it is in no way a requirement.

edited February 2013
    I think for this PAX East, 50 is probably the right number, since buttoneering is new for East.

To give you an example of how popular this is at PAX Prime though, I know some people who bought 200 and were out after the first day. I typically buy 150 and come home with between 0 and 25 from Prime.
    wow, good to know. i really hope this does continue at Pax East, as i cant get out to prime.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png

wow, good to know. i really hope this does continue at Pax East, as i cant get out to prime.

I'll try to get a picture of my set of buttons from the first year of Buttoneering at Prime for illustration. A lot of us thought that 50 would be *fine* back then too, but it totally ended up blowing up. I honestly do think 50 will be fine as of right now for East, just because we don't have near as much time to ramp up as usual.

• AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    I'm personally going to go with 100. 50 for Buttoneers and 49 to get people new to Buttoneering hooked on it. Like a button-based drug dealer where the drugs are the buttons. 49 or more people at East will be Buttoneering addicts thanks to me. :D

I am also considering printing up a bunch of business cards with my contact info on the front and a few QR codes on the back that link to various info. I want one of the QR codes to link to an explanation of what the heck Buttoneering is. The Buttoneering site doesn't really explain anything about it - you have to be in the know already to make heads or tails of it. I *could* link them to a thread on the forums, but what if URLs change down the road... I could just host a small page explaining in static terms what Buttoneering is, unless such a beast already exists. @jonxp does something like the page I speak of already exist? Does anyone have any alternative suggestions? (OR, @zerzhul will e.g. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/172601/pax-buttoneering-now-with-twice-as-many-pages be the same URL forever and ever? [or at least the next year or three])

fss_overall.png
    I'm personally going to go with 100. 50 for Buttoneers and 49 to get people new to Buttoneering hooked on it. Like a button-based drug dealer where the drugs are the buttons. 49 or more people at East will be Buttoneering addicts thanks to me. :D

I am also considering printing up a bunch of business cards with my contact info on the front and a few QR codes on the back that link to various info. I want one of the QR codes to link to an explanation of what the heck Buttoneering is. The Buttoneering site doesn't really explain anything about it - you have to be in the know already to make heads or tails of it. I *could* link them to a thread on the forums, but what if URLs change down the road... I could just host a small page explaining in static terms what Buttoneering is, unless such a beast already exists. jonxp does something like the page I speak of already exist? Does anyone have any alternative suggestions? (OR, zerzhul will e.g. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/172601/pax-buttoneering-now-with-twice-as-many-pages be the same URL forever and ever? [or at least the next year or three])

http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Buttoneering

This discussion has been closed.