As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A new artist looking for some opinions

Edgy42Edgy42 Registered User new member
edited February 2013 in Artist's Corner
As of now i am still in high school, in the future i would like to have a career in art.
The problem is i don't know where to start, or if i have the skill to pursue a career in the field of art. I am looking for some pointers or just general opinions of what i can do to further myself in art.
As of yet i haven't Created any comics or stories, but i am thinking of starting one soon ( and thank you to the kind chaps who helped me upload images)
FN2pzYk.jpg
p5iIzhn.jpg
HDED08u.jpg
EMhqe2J.jpg
gBzStPx.jpg

Edgy42 on

• SeraphSwordSeraphSword Sketch Fetishist Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Well, most likely this thread will be locked unless you change it. Posting actual images rather than links is a bit of a rule.

To post images, you have to have them hosted on the web, from a site that allows direct linking. I don't believe DA allows that, so you might try a place like photobucket or sadpanda. When you have them hosted, those sites will usually give you a link for posting on forums.

Mastery is the result of ceaseless error, combined with ruthless self-appraisal.
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    Get an imgur.com account and upload pictures you want feedback on there and post them directly in the thread.

• Edgy42Edgy42 Registered User new member
    thanks for the help =)

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Alright, this is what every new artist in here gets told: start with the basics.
    That is:
    Draw from life, take model drawing classes (not necessarily lessons) and draw a shit-ton of what you see. Go scout the QDT thread and just check it out. If you don't feel like delving into one of the artbooks at first, you can head on over to Stan Prokopenko's youtube channel ProkoTV as he covers some of the same areas and you'll get a taste of what those books are about.
    Now you might be thinking: "why do I need to learn where the bones in the nose sit when I'll be drawing highly stylized characters?"
    Answer: in order to simplify and stylize you'll always need to learn the basics. Picasso started out doing highly realistic paintings and then later moved onto doing Cubism. Get the basics down first, tempting as it is to only draw stylized stuff exclusively it won't help you in the long run.
    Drawing stylized characters is fun, but you'll have to do some of this at the same time.

As for that comic: do it! One day, sit down in peace and quiet and with a set time frame and just start scripting your comic in whatever way. Do this each day, or every second day or something, until you finish it (except if it's a 100 page epic, I'd advise doing short stories of max 20 pages). Halfway through it you'll think it's shit. Doesn't matter though, it's a first draft. When that draft is done, hide it, start a new story. When that story is done, look at your old draft, revise it, put it away. Repeat until you're satisfied after having put it away for a week and then read it again. THEN start drawing it.
    If you don't revise it again and again, you'll lose interest after drawing the first two pages because it is shit. It will be shit. I've scripted so much shit, trust me it's shit. But it gets better with each revision. You'll be able to see how you were too influenced by something at the time of writing it and you'll remove that, until your script is pure YOU.
    How you script is up to yourself really. Some people just write everything about the page in a word document, some do exclusively thumbnails and some do both.
    I like to do two thumbnails on each A4 paper and then write the captions and dialogue next to it personally, but you might have different preferences.
    But yeah, stop putting that comic off and start doing it.

Also: carry something to jot down your ideas onto, always. Sometimes the best ideas come while you're in the shower, or while you've just gotten off a bus or something. Stop what you're doing and write that shit down.

As for the art you've posted: there's not much for us to go by right now. Try drawing a person, just a regular human being of some sort (zombies work fine too, as long as they're in proper proportions), or try drawing what you see. Set up a little still life to draw. That way, the people in here will have something to go by and will be able to point you in the right direction.

m3nace on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Along with drawing a human, try drawing some shapes (cubes, balls , pryamids etc) and pay attention to the light source. One huge thing that is off now is your shading. You're doing what most everyone does at first, coloring thing's dark because that place looks like it should be dark. It's ok, but to make pictures really pop (and, more importantly, look like it is taking place in a real place) , you have to use light and shadow with care and sensibility.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Edgy42Edgy42 Registered User new member
    okay ill do some drawing and get back to you guys with some realism work =) i would just like to say thank you for the help so far i really appreciate that you took the time to look at my stuff.

• JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    Everything that the above posters have said is true, I would definitely listen to their advice. But to answer your question directly, yes, I think you have everything you need to be an artist. People have this conception that being a good artist is some special ability that you just have, but that isn't exactly accurate. While a certain baseline of talent may be required, the only things you really need are a desire to make art and the Will and Patience to work at it. Now if you want to create original work that can be sold as a stand alone piece then a bit of creativity is also necessary, but I think a truly unimaginitve person who was willing to work hard at it could still make a living in certain fields. But I don't think you have to worry about that, one thing we can judge from the work you have posted is that your drawings do show promise, so get to work and keep working and drawing and doing all those things they mentioned above.

• MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    I've got to say; you seem to have a really good attitude about receiving criticism. Welcome to the Artist's Corner, and I hope you enjoy your stay!

• HalenHalen Registered User regular
    Draw an egg.

Draw an egg.