As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Monday, February 4, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 34: The Accidental War

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

image[PATV] Monday, February 4, 2013 - CheckPoint Season 2, Ep. 34: The Accidental War

We all knew Reddit and SomethingAwful would fight eventually, but we didn't expect this…

Read the full story here

Dog on

• Options
    Game VyseGame Vyse Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    some thing shows up in the top left at 0:26 for like 1/10th a sec

Game Vyse on
  • Options
    WiddershinsWiddershins Registered User new member
    Very good summary of the Asakai fight: good research, no stupid non-facts. That's pretty much what happened.

• Options
    GraelynGraelyn Registered User regular
    Why, yes! Sociologists ARE studying EVE Online.

• Options
    japhjaph Registered User regular
    Very scary that human behavior transcends into the virtual. Of course, when you look at Eve Online's player base it just makes sense.

• Options
    TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    ... I like Balloon Fight :(

• Options
    jedidethfreakjedidethfreak Registered User regular
    I personally don't get the rage on the Wii U VC charges. Nintendo told us before the system launched that Wii VC titles weren't going to have GamePad support. Now, they're offering a solution for such, but are charging for it.

Nobody paid for GamePad support when they bought their Wii VC, and you can still play your Wii VC on your Wii U without paying a dime.

Wind Fish in name only, for it is neither.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    That is usually who I see at gamestop
    I do find it odd that they are not really selling computer games and yet it's one of the few places you can get a steam card

• Options
    metaphistmetaphist FLRegistered User regular
    @japh Cute comment but it actually makes no sense. It's both more likely, and less scary, for negative human behavior to show up in a consequence free environment.

as-siggy-blank-left.jpg
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Kathleen looks super goth in this episode, particularly in her segment at the end.

• Options
    likalarukulikalaruku Registered User regular
    I hear you like clusterfucks, so I put Clusterfuck in your clusterfuck.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Nice to know that Valve was doing some spring cleaning and stumbled across the old, unreleased Mac version of Half-Life 1.

Y'know, the one that was completely done save some testing, and that they cancelled because they didn't want to spend time making sure multiplayer always worked cross-platform.

No, I'm not still bitter, even though I totally <3 them nowadays.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Kathleen_LRRKathleen_LRR Registered User regular
    @Game Vyse - I see that. Weird. Looks like a render bug. It was not in the episode when I exported it. Hrm.

• Options
    FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    There's another one a few seconds later. Any time I see those, part of me always wonders if it's a Fight Club thing and has to rewind and watch again really carefully.

Excellent reporting on the Eve thing, Graham. That's one of those games that seems like it'd be cool because of stuff like that, but in reality would be way too tedious for me to ever play. So having someone break down what outlandish thing happened recently in a way that doesn't require me to already know all the intricate alliances and politics is always nice.

you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
  • Options
    moosemaimermoosemaimer Registered User regular
    @PMAvers

Maybe they'll release the Dreamcast port next... it was so close to done a strategy guide went to print.

• Options
    DrainDrain [E] Tabletop Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Good job on the EVE story. I was there too and that's basically what happened :) Sidenote, the PA forum corporation is also in Goonswarm.

N9pjfAk.png
    "I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time." - Tycho
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    @PMAvers

Maybe they'll release the Dreamcast port next... it was so close to done a strategy guide went to print.

The Dreamcast: Never dead, just dreaming.

But yeah, I was still annoyed by that if just because the company that was doing the port ended up shuttering because of that.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    ... I am troubled at how much I am enjoying the Verizon choose your own Ad, that is playing before this. IT'S LIKE A GAME!

IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    kailowkailow Registered User regular
    Ohh EVE, CCP knows the players market the game for them lol

• Options
    JodinsanJodinsan Registered User regular
    Kathleen is a sadist. Who knew?

(Totally being facetious. Cue the trolls...)

• Options
    Xyz_39808Xyz_39808 Registered User regular
    Holy shit that EVE screenshot was rediculous

• Options
    TweegTweeg Registered User regular
    A better example would have been, promising someone a blackberry and giving them a old iphone since the iphone is a trendy pos and anyone with the least bit of tech knowledge can see it as a overpriced paper weight.

Just saying.

• Options
    ran88dom99ran88dom99 Registered User regular
    Isk is always exciting.

• Options
    dmautzdmautz Registered User regular
    So, how long until the BOOM! in the credits, Kate Stark, is killed off by George R.R. Martin?

• Options
    vortexcortexvortexcortex Registered User regular
    Time Travelers from the FUTURE traveled through time to make this show in the PAST! They then sent the video back to the future so they can better slack off in the PRESENT!

The Truth is Out There:
    "Copyright (c) 2012 Bionic Trousers Media"

Don't believe the Denialists! This is NO Typo! John Titor Was Correct!

• Options
    WhyroonWhyroon Registered User regular
    It's great that EVE continues to generate stories like this; and however hated they may be by large parts of the community it sure does seem like Goonswarm have their hand in more than a few of them. I love the Goons' antics in EVE... from a distance, as great a distance as possible.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I don't play Eve Online, although I do play Dust 514, so I'm technically part of that universe now. But I fucking love that it exists and that lunacy like this happens in it on what seems to be a fairly regular basis. Also, the mass of that ridiculously huge swarm of ships probably could cause some (slight) time dilation.

Also, add me to the list of people who'd rather not give credit card details to Microsoft or PSN. Purely for security reasons, though, not the weird/paranoid/criminal reasons Checkpoint (in jest, I'm sure) ascribes to this choice.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    Titanium DragonTitanium Dragon Registered User regular
    Man, $25k in real world damages. GG EVE.

• Options
    GilhelmiGilhelmi Registered User regular
    I know the EVE economy is being studied by (real world) economist. So sociologist are probably working on a study right now.

Ah, EVE, the madness of the system.

• Options
    rainbowhyphenrainbowhyphen Registered User regular
    In an imagined place
    For imagined reasons
    A battle rages.

War never changes.

raise-this-arm-to-initiate-revolution.png
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    All I got out of this is that I'm really glad I don't play EVE online. I respect what it's there for, but it's not for me.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    dallashogandallashogan Registered User new member
    You guys should move up the teleprompter so you are looking more at the camera instead of below it. Great video!

• Options
    metroidkillahmetroidkillah Local Bunman Free Country, USARegistered User regular
    @Framiling: That's pretty much what I was thinking with that glitch. I rewound a dozen times just to pause at the right moment. Imagine my disappointment when it wasn't a picture of Graham with a mohawk.

I'm not a nice guy, I just play one in real life.
  • Options
    garyklineccgaryklinecc Registered User regular
    [ Japh: Very scary that human behavior transcends into the virtual. Of course, when you look at Eve Online's player base it just makes sense. ]

Man, you would not believe. It is the oddest thing, but human behavior seems to follow (wait for it) human players. No matter how virtual the environment, the people and their relationships are quite real.

Just awesome that I was watching this wil having EvE open in another window. Didn't even hear about this battle through the game. Thank you CheckPoint!

• Options
    vishnou00vishnou00 Registered User new member
    I have to say, balloon fight is great

it's a lot like Joust, but it's great (I didn't get into Joust, so I'll say it's good and just came earlier).

Just go play balloon fight, even if it's an emulator...

tun tun tun tuladuladu
    tun tun tun

....watch out for the fish!

• Options
    Cthulhu CalamariCthulhu Calamari Toronto, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Graelyn wrote: »
    Why, yes! Sociologists ARE studying EVE Online.

Does anyone know of any particularly interesting studies published so far?

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    @PMAvers

Wasn't that what (eventually) became the HD pack for the PC version?

sig.gif
  • Options
    johnnywhitebreadjohnnywhitebread Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I don't know if it's the lighting or the color of her hair, but Kathleen's eyes look really great these last few episodes.

Also, I have Balloon Fight on the E-Reader! Remember when that didn't mean a Kindle?

johnnywhitebread on