As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Buttoneering - Event Schedule and Official Button info added!

• AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I'm personally going to go with 100. 50 for Buttoneers and 49 to get people new to Buttoneering hooked on it. Like a button-based drug dealer where the drugs are the buttons. 49 or more people at East will be Buttoneering addicts thanks to me. :D

I am also considering printing up a bunch of business cards with my contact info on the front and a few QR codes on the back that link to various info. I want one of the QR codes to link to an explanation of what the heck Buttoneering is. The Buttoneering site doesn't really explain anything about it - you have to be in the know already to make heads or tails of it. I *could* link them to a thread on the forums, but what if URLs change down the road... I could just host a small page explaining in static terms what Buttoneering is, unless such a beast already exists. jonxp does something like the page I speak of already exist? Does anyone have any alternative suggestions? (OR, zerzhul will e.g. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/172601/pax-buttoneering-now-with-twice-as-many-pages be the same URL forever and ever? [or at least the next year or three])

http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Buttoneering

Thank you! That'll work perfectly and help further my domination of the world via QR code goals.

fss_overall.png
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    I'm personally going to go with 100. 50 for Buttoneers and 49 to get people new to Buttoneering hooked on it. Like a button-based drug dealer where the drugs are the buttons. 49 or more people at East will be Buttoneering addicts thanks to me. :D

I am also considering printing up a bunch of business cards with my contact info on the front and a few QR codes on the back that link to various info. I want one of the QR codes to link to an explanation of what the heck Buttoneering is. The Buttoneering site doesn't really explain anything about it - you have to be in the know already to make heads or tails of it. I *could* link them to a thread on the forums, but what if URLs change down the road... I could just host a small page explaining in static terms what Buttoneering is, unless such a beast already exists. jonxp does something like the page I speak of already exist? Does anyone have any alternative suggestions? (OR, zerzhul will e.g. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/172601/pax-buttoneering-now-with-twice-as-many-pages be the same URL forever and ever? [or at least the next year or three])

http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Buttoneering

Also: http://buttoneering.org/faq

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I need to get a little carry case for buttons. I don't feel like pinning them every time I give/get.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I need to get a little carry case for buttons. I don't feel like pinning them every time I give/get.

Even if you don't pin them immediately, you'll probably want to ASAP, as it helps other folks find you.

• AtomicGaryBuseyAtomicGaryBusey I put on my robe and wizard hat. Beautiful Lynnhood, Wash.Registered User regular
    jonxp wrote: »

Even if you don't pin them immediately, you'll probably want to ASAP, as it helps other folks find you.

This is good advice. I didn't get any bites for my buttons until I literally coated my hoodie and a top hat in them. Advertising is paramount.

jonxp - thanks for the FAQ link. I have no idea why but I couldn't find that link to save my life before you gave it to me.

fss_overall.png

This is good advice. I didn't get any bites for my buttons until I literally coated my hoodie and a top hat in them. Advertising is paramount.

jonxp - thanks for the FAQ link. I have no idea why but I couldn't find that link to save my life before you gave it to me.

If you are logged in, I assume you know what's up, and it's kinda hard to find. If you aren't logged in, it's one of the main navigation items.

• ransimransim Registered User regular
    So I think this year I'm going to finally give in and do my own button. Should be fun giving them away while distributing for the Cookie Brigade.

Working with the other Brigadiers to figure out who is going to do the brigade button.

• ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular

i plan on having all of mine on my sash and just replacing them with one i trade for.

7US7VWW.png
    If you are logged in, I assume you know what's up, and it's kinda hard to find. If you aren't logged in, it's one of the main navigation items.

Aha, that was my issue - I was logged in. Again, much thanks, Jon. :)

fss_overall.png
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    I've been giving out buttons to people I meet for the past two years, and I'll be doing it again this year. Ask me nicely and I might even give you 2011 and 2012's designs too.... they make a nice set, and you get a bonus stats boost if you use all three of them together. ;D

Can't wait until I've made five, which as any TWEWY fan knows is a full battle set....

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    Done! Very excited... I love new traditions!

Who is going to PAX South?
  • Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

draklan usually wears his "buttoneering vest" so he's pretty hard to miss at Prime, otherwise we just usually ask people we see with buttons if they are buttoneers

Some attendees use a scarf, or their backpacks but yes advertising is key , as well as attending any planned meet ups that occur ie: Sunday after the Omegathon

zerzhul on
  • psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    In the market in Seattle, there's a neat little novality hat store. I bought a hat that's a big D6 a few years ago, and that has always been my buttoneering hat.

Look for it. Muh ha ha ha ha ha

“Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
  • KomiKomi Registered User regular
    psychopez wrote: »
    In the market in Seattle, there's a neat little novality hat store. I bought a hat that's a big D6 a few years ago, and that has always been my buttoneering hat.

Look for it. Muh ha ha ha ha ha

I now remember what I COMPLETELY forgot to do at Prime last year, crap.

Hats are definitely a great way to advertise yourself as a buttoneer. It's probably the most distinguishable I could find from my experience (even though I've only done it once.). I asked plenty of people that had a bunch of buttons on their backpacks and stuff if they were buttoneers and most of the time I just got some odd glare and a "no". I didn't do too well at advertising myself at prime, but I'm definitely getting myself a hat and covering it in my buttons for east since it should do well to advertise "HEY, I'M A BUTTONEER, COME TO ME!"

...on that note I still need to make my buttons.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Badge (HOLYCRAPIGOTA4DAY!)
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • NewspaperCraneNewspaperCrane Registered User regular
    We're talking about getting custom buttons printed for my group for PAX East this year, and I was wondering if it was cool to Use the PAX logo on our buttons? I know this isn't directly related to buttoneering, but I figure you guys would be the people ask.

The plan is to hand them out at the show for free, as well as wear them ourselves.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2013
    It is generally not ok to use copyrighted PA imagery on anything.

zerzhul on
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    I pin my buttons to my lanyard. And distribute cookies. So soon I am wearing a chain of buttons.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • NewspaperCraneNewspaperCrane Registered User regular

And that's why we ask. Thanks, we will not be using it then.

And that's why we ask. Thanks, we will not be using it then.

Indeed :) Occasionally special permission can be obtained, but it would need to be obtained from Robert directly as there is nobody else who could give that sort of approval.

• thebookguythebookguy Registered User new member
    First time at PAX and this sounds like fun, buttons ordered and imaged uploaded. :D

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Lady Amalthea, i will definitely have my eyes peeled for you. that button is lovely, i've got to have one!

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Hm. I think I might have to bail out, don't have the time to make a button design I'm happy with this go round. Sadtrombone, I guess I rarely have time for stuff at East anyway.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Cliffs of SanityCliffs of Sanity Registered User regular
    So glad I had a few minutes to check the forums today (I tend to ignore them between PAXes). Buttons for PAX East! I love buttoneering at Prime.

• Rabid DogRabid Dog Registered User regular
    My first PAX, so I think I will participate in this! Being as bad at art as I am, my roommate is whipping a picture up for me. xD

• Josh@purebuttons.comJosh@purebuttons.com OhioRegistered User regular
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to check in a give you a brief update. We have received many PAX orders thus far and we wanted to thank you all for the support!

I wanted to check in and get clearance from you guys before we do this but we want to do a PAX blog post. If this is okay with you guys post up and let me know one way or the other. If it is okay and for those interested we would like to feature your buttons on the blog post. For anyone interested please send physical photos of your buttons to me directly. Josh@purebuttons.com

Thanks guys!
    Josh

Hey guys,

Just wanted to check in a give you a brief update. We have received many PAX orders thus far and we wanted to thank you all for the support!

I wanted to check in and get clearance from you guys before we do this but we want to do a PAX blog post. If this is okay with you guys post up and let me know one way or the other. If it is okay and for those interested we would like to feature your buttons on the blog post. For anyone interested please send physical photos of your buttons to me directly. Josh@purebuttons.com

Thanks guys!
    Josh

Just make sure that you make the distinction that this is done by community members, and is not an "official" PAX thing (as in, not specifically endorsed by PA).

• Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    A) Do I leave the file as CMYK?
    B) On step three: Those who uploaded a PSD file, did you see your artwork after uploading or did you get "preview unavailable"?

5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
    it gives you "preview unavailable" if you load a PS file.

7US7VWW.png
  • zeromystzeromyst wat Registered User regular
    This seems very awesome.

I will be joining this awesome thing.

EVERYONE WILL HAVE AN ISSAC PIN....lol :mrgreen:

CRANK UP THE C. CRANK UP THE D.
    A) Do I leave the file as CMYK?
    B) On step three: Those who uploaded a PSD file, did you see your artwork after uploading or did you get "preview unavailable"?

A) Yes
    B) The preview doesn't work for PSD

• Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    Excellent! I have placed my order.

5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • Josh@purebuttons.comJosh@purebuttons.com OhioRegistered User regular
    Not a problem. We will make note that these are done my supporting members!

i finally have some spare cash so i will be placing my order tonight WOOOOOO!

7US7VWW.png
  • TechGamingNewsTechGamingNews CEO Cape May, NJ.Registered User regular
    We Just ordered 100, LOOK FOR US! we are proud to join Buttoneering at PAX East

DALTON DOOLY | CEO | T&G News
    http://techandgamingnews.com
    --
    [x]Media Pass [x] Hotel [x] Rental

I am not an exhibitor I am press I am not trying to step on toes, I am attending some Community functions to meet new people and have a good time.
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I will have a variety of buttons and trading cards this year including:
    - Any remaining buttons from PAX Prime 09, 10, and 11
    - Thousands of trading cards from PAX East 10 and 11
    - Light Weight Role Playing Game SWAG "Sir Heavyweight" buttons (available to anyone who comes to our booth)
    - Light Weight Role Playing Game Bonus "Goblin" buttons (available to anyone who can trade a button or card of their own)

I will be vending in tabletop for all of PAX at the Light Weight RPG / Schrader Heavy booth, but will have tons of stuff to trade at the booth. The trading cards are even available to buttons traders! I will be posting pictures when everything comes in. In the meantime I posted the "goblin" buttons to the buttoneer website.

PeasantDave on
  • zezspecszezspecs ScotlandRegistered User regular
    Just uploaded my button to the website. Doing another Pokemon horse theme button again this year. I'll mostly be helping PeasantDave out at the booth, so your best bet to catch Keldeo would be to find me there. So excited!

• psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I'm closing in on my main button, combining an easy game with a very hard one.
    JvTuYX5l.png

psychopez on
    “Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
    ok had some hiccups but got my order done today. Buttons ordered and uploaded to the site. WOOOOOOOOOOO! look for me with my Boyscout Lookouts sash covered in buttons.

7US7VWW.png
    Woot, I played around with a white version of this, but it just clashed with the text too much. Got the order all in. Can't wait to bring these to East! :)
    Thanks-Obama.png

fss_overall.png
    edited February 2013
    Guys, please don't put our coupon code on RetailMeNot. It's poor form, and I don't want to have to start distributing it through secure channels.

And more importantly, we don't want put PureButtons in a place where they have to think about not giving them to us.

jonxp on
This discussion has been closed.