As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Shmups/Run n Gun thread (Be attitude for gains!)

• ChaosandQuietChaosandQuiet Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Aye, for the PS2, it's great, and should be pretty cheap by now.
    Cool, I like cheap.

Speaking of, the link Savygamer in your sig, are all of those games the Pal versions? The prices are nice, but if they are Pal versions, I guess I'm out of luck.

ChaosandQuiet on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0772-1797
  • Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm wanting to get one of the TG16 shmups on the VC, but I'm not sure which one is the best. Any recommendations? Do any of them have co-op?

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Cool, I like cheap.

Speaking of, the link Savygamer in your sig, are all of those games the Pal versions? The prices are nice, but if they are Pal versions, I guess I'm out of luck.

Yep, everything's PAL unless otherwise stated. Most of the retailers featured won't ship to outside the UK either, sorry.

LewieP on
  • synthetic1synthetic1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    A shmup thread and no mention of Einhander. For shame.

synthetic1 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Hey Mega Man, join my side. You'll be mine, FOREVER!"
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    synthetic1 wrote: »
    A shmup thread and no mention of Einhander. For shame.

Sleep wrote: »
    I know for a fact that I need Einhander, and my local Gamestop has both Raiden III and RType Final.
    Einhander is ok but is of the "random weapon at random level" design which leads to sloppy spastic gameplay.

Anyway, I played a bit of 1941, 1944, and 194X just recently. All very fun stuff. I also was going to try the Armada Online because I remember what fun it was on the DC, but I couldn't use my joypad, and it doesn't play like a traditional shump at all, so I kind of quickly just exited and uninstalled. A shame. What kind of sucked about 1941 was that there were all these weapons you could get, but it was too much--I mean, it was cool using the shotgun in coop because I could kind of cover the other guy, but really I just wanted to use the three way because it behaved like a normal gun with stuff coming out the sides too.

piL on
  • SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Alien Hominid HD is probably the most fun run 'n gun that's been released in the last 3 years. It seriously is one of my favorite games. It's not the hardest game out there, but I love what a dedicated team of a few people who really love the genre can do.

Samphis on
  • phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I love me some DonDonPachi. That combo system they have is crazy! :D

phamtq on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    I need to get that on the PSX, though I don't really have the means to play it. I imagine I can find an old system to mess with.

Sheep on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Samphis wrote: »
    Alien Hominid HD is probably the most fun run 'n gun that's been released in the last 3 years. It seriously is one of my favorite games. It's not the hardest game out there, but I love what a dedicated team of a few people who really love the genre can do.

Me too. Alien Hominid is one of my favorite PS2 action games.

slash000 on
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The Red Star is like a bullet hell game plus a standard beat-em-up. I beat it yesterday, it was pretty good. The patterns start out insultingly easy and get to an average level of challenge by the end.

Samidare is pretty fun. Kicks my ass though.

Kaputa on
  • darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Darius Twin: SNES shmup with some of the best music I've ever heard.

Space Megaforce: Bullet-hell shmup + progressive power-ups + SNES = <3

I could name others but they don't really stand out other than satisfying my shmup cravings. For shmups, the Super Nintendo is the system of choice for me.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
    edited August 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »
    setrajonas wrote: »
    PCB has its charms, but I definitely agree that the mechanics of IN were much more refined, especially with regard to item collection. Also, the music of IN is incredible.

I hold a special place in my heart for Aya's theme personally.
    I need to start playing Shoot the Bullet again. I actually got pretty good at it after a while, and once I started thinking of it as half puzzle game/half bullet hell I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Hopefully ZUN will make another one eventually, because the only StB clone I've tried was fucking terrible.

Kaputa on
  • ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    New(-ish) Raid over the River vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXbJmLepRzs

Starting to actually look somewhat promising.

ArcticXC on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I didn't know The Red Star was a shmup.

How come I've never seen it?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2007
    Fuck yeah, 70 scenes cleared in Shoot the Bullet. That's enough for the night. 9-7 was fucking annoying.
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I didn't know The Red Star was a shmup.

How come I've never seen it?
    The boss fights are very shmup-ish, but it's as much of a traditional beat-em-up as it is a shmup.

But come on, that's taken right out of a vertical shooter.

edit- and as to why you've never seen it: The game was completed years ago, then never published, then published last May or so really quietly, and since everyone had already reviewed it years ago no one who wasn't already interested in the game heard about it. I'm guessing it sold about 16 copies.

Kaputa on
    edited August 2007
    I think Red Star got a very, very limited print run anyway; as in, the publisher knew that it wasn't going to get much attention or garner many sales.

slash000 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I wonder if I can still find a copy.

Well, I haven't gone on a hunt in a while.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Mr. GruntorMr. Gruntor CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The official online store has copies for $20. As a bonus, each copy is signed by the comic's creator, Christian Gossett.

Mr. Gruntor on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    I think Red Star got a very, very limited print run anyway; as in, the publisher knew that it wasn't going to get much attention or garner many sales.

Actually, they weren't prepared for how many people DID want the game and had to reprint. I was lucky to find a copy at a gamestop by accident and went ahead and grabbed it (comon, $20 new is awesome).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited August 2007
    anyone know if there is a way to buy a pal version signed?

LewieP on
    edited August 2007

I'll check eBay.

I can't even find it on GameStop's website.

EDIT

Whoop. Official site FTW.

Sheep on
  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's on amazon as well.

setrajonas on
    edited August 2007
    Just grabbed it for slightly less than 30 bucks, shipped priority.

So, is it better than IGN lets on? Seems like they gave it a low score because it didn't tie in better with the comic book.

Sheep on
    edited August 2007
    That doesn't seem like it'd determine whether or not it's a good or bad game.

Besides, shmups are always critic proof.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Besides, shmups are always critic proof.

Hence why I bought it. Regardless.

Sheep on
  • MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Cool, I like cheap.
    I got into Gradius III a month or two back but haven't gotten very far yet. I keep crapping out on the cloud? Blob? boss pretty early in the game. It's fuckin great though. I highly recommend the III/IV PS2 disc, there are some nice extras.

Also, I was inspired to track down V... haven't yet... the cheapest copy via Amazon was around $50 when I looked. Holy crap. Ebay had some in the $20,30 range. Since I've started looking I haven't seen it any stores either. BOOO.

Mashalot on
    edited August 2007
    Gradius III on the PS2 disc is the arcade version of the game. The SNES one is based on the arcade version, but they actually feel pretty different when you play them. I think I like the SNES version better, for some reason. I think the difficulty ramp is a little better. Or maybe it's just me. Both good versions of a good game though.

Gradius V was $30 new when it came out, so getting it for that is a good deal.

I seen copies in Fry's Electronics around here.

slash000 on
    edited August 2007
    I forget that Shmups tend to get bigger prints relative to market size in the UK than USA, and a bunch of shmups that don't get a USA release do get PAL releases.

One of the only genre's I can think of aside from Football games that are more popular in the UK than in the USA and so some are Japan/PAL exclusive.

LewieP on
    edited August 2007
    Xyanide Resurrection got published there before it did here, but it was made in the UK, I think.

Which reminds me: if you still have a regular XB(and you should): go get Xyanide right now. $12.99.

It's awesome.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited August 2007
    I had it, and really disliked it, got rid of it.

LewieP on
  • MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Gradius III on the PS2 disc is the arcade version of the game. The SNES one is based on the arcade version, but they actually feel pretty different when you play them. I think I like the SNES version better, for some reason. I think the difficulty ramp is a little better. Or maybe it's just me. Both good versions of a good game though.
    Oooh reeallly...

I figured it was the arcade version but didn't realize it was that different. Interesting.

Mashalot on
    edited August 2007
    the UK got Alien Hominid on GBA. lucky bastards.

slash000 on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I forget that Shmups tend to get bigger prints relative to market size in the UK than USA, and a bunch of shmups that don't get a USA release do get PAL releases.

One of the only genre's I can think of aside from Football games that are more popular in the UK than in the USA and so some are Japan/PAL exclusive.

You mean soccer right?
    I'm really not this dumb.

piL on
  • Strange AttractorStrange Attractor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mashalot wrote: »
    Cool, I like cheap.
    I got into Gradius III a month or two back but haven't gotten very far yet. I keep crapping out on the cloud? Blob? boss pretty early in the game. It's fuckin great though. I highly recommend the III/IV PS2 disc, there are some nice extras.

He is easy.

FLY INSIDE HIM.

Strange Attractor on
    Hi.
    edited August 2007
    I found The Red Star at an EB nearby. I expect good things.

And I guess this confirms that XS and XSeed are two different companies.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ArcticXC wrote: »
    New(-ish) Raid over the River vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXbJmLepRzs

Starting to actually look somewhat promising.

Vaporware goes to bullet hell, and doesn't come out.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thread requires Parasec 47.

p47_3l.gif

Parasec 47 Download

Waka Laka on
  • SirNickSirNick Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Paka Laka wrote:

Looks like rRootage, but I'm not sure what the difference is. How's it play?
    Mashalot wrote: »
    Oooh reeallly...

I figured it was the arcade version but didn't realize it was that different. Interesting.

Yeah, the arcade Gradius III is legendary for its balls-hard difficulty even on low settings; ridiculously unforgiving if you die, even more so than other Gradiuses. Gradii? Hm.

The other cool things about Gradius III on the SNES that aren't in the arcade include actual new / revamped stages and stage order along with the secret bonus little stages loaded with extra points and extra lives.

Plus at the end of the game in the arcade,
    after you kill the final boss you have to do a high-speed, really tight and unforgiving "escape" sequence through this killer maze, and if you screw up you have to start the whole final section again just to beat the game. That sucks.
    In the SNES version, you don't have to do that and it's a whole lot less stress.

Plus I think there's extra weapons in the weapon edit mode. I know that the SNES version has four Option types (bonus Formation and Rotate, I think) instead of just two in the arcade (Regular and Snake).

I just can't go back to the arcade Gradius III after playing the SNES version so much.

SirNick on
    edited August 2007
    God dammit.

Guxt is hard.

Sheep on
  • ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    SirNick wrote: »
    Paka Laka wrote:

Looks like rRootage, but I'm not sure what the difference is. How's it play?

Plays like Noiz2sa but with a few different shot options or something. 10 stages per level, mid-boss at stage 5, boss at 10. I haven't touched it for a while but it's probably my favorite effort from Kenta Cho.

ArcticXC on