As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer: The Game of Fantasy Battles

1565758596062»

• GABBO GABBO GABBOGABBO GABBO GABBO Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Give the king a great weapon and you're S7 too.

Give him armor of the ages and golden ankhra ands hes S7 with 5 wounds and a 4+ armor and 4+ ward

And now he's mega expensive.
    It works sometimes, but that 6 pt great weapon is always a bargain.
    (Unless you're in a chariot, then I take the spear of antharak or the flail of skulls.)

Kings get expensive really fast, but princes are the best heroes hands down. Even with no magic items there crazy cheap for what they are.

Princes can turn a laughably bad unit of skeleton warriors into a little roving block of death.
    In higher point games I try to run two with a LHP and a LP.

Yeah I alterd my list after your inital adivce to that set up, hopefully this is what ill run with now
    Liche High Priest
    Cloak of the Dunes
    Nefferas Plaques of mighty incantation
    Golden Ankhra 340

Tomb Prince
    Armour of the Ages
    Shield 137

Tomb Prince
    Spear of Antarhak
    Light Armour
    Shield

Liche Priest
    Hieratic Jar
    Dispel Scroll

25 Skeletons
    Hand Weapons
    Shields
    Light Armour
    Full command 250

25 Skeletons
    Hand Weapons
    Shields
    Light Armour
    Full command 250

25 Skeletons
    Bows 200

3 Chariots
    Command 170

8 Heavy Horsemen
    Command 163

Tomb Scorpian 85

Screaming Skull Catapult 110
    Skulls of the foe

That's a pretty solid list there.
    In 2500 you can add a giant, or another scorpion for more skirmishing flankers, you can expand that unit of chariots for more mobility, or you can add a big block of tomb guard to fuck shit up.
    You've got a lot of versatility there.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Give him armor of the ages and golden ankhra ands hes S7 with 5 wounds and a 4+ armor and 4+ ward

(Unless you're in a chariot, then I take the spear of antharak or the flail of skulls.)

Kings get expensive really fast, but princes are the best heroes hands down. Even with no magic items there crazy cheap for what they are.

Princes can turn a laughably bad unit of skeleton warriors into a little roving block of death.

Yeah I alterd my list after your inital adivce to that set up, hopefully this is what ill run with now
    Liche High Priest
    Cloak of the Dunes
    Golden Ankhra 340

Tomb Prince
    Armour of the Ages
    Shield 137

Tomb Prince
    Spear of Antarhak
    Light Armour
    Shield

Liche Priest
    Hieratic Jar
    Dispel Scroll

25 Skeletons
    Hand Weapons
    Shields
    Light Armour
    Full command 250

25 Skeletons
    Hand Weapons
    Shields
    Light Armour
    Full command 250

25 Skeletons
    Bows 200

3 Chariots
    Command 170

8 Heavy Horsemen
    Command 163

Tomb Scorpian 85

Skulls of the foe

In 2500 you can add a giant, or another scorpion for more skirmishing flankers, you can expand that unit of chariots for more mobility, or you can add a big block of tomb guard to fuck shit up.

Its also cheap and easy to build, 2-3 more boxes of skeles then the only expensive bit is the Catapult.

Norgoth on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

Liche High Priest
    Cloak of the Dunes
    Golden Ankhra 340

Tomb Prince
    Armour of the Ages
    Shield 137

Tomb Prince
    Spear of Antarhak
    Light Armour
    Shield

Liche Priest
    Hieratic Jar
    Dispel Scroll

25 Skeletons
    Hand Weapons
    Shields
    Light Armour
    Full command 250

25 Skeletons
    Hand Weapons
    Shields
    Light Armour
    Full command 250

25 Skeletons
    Bows 200

3 Chariots
    Command 170

8 Heavy Horsemen
    Command 163

Tomb Scorpian 85

Skulls of the foe

Its also cheap and easy to build, 2-3 more boxes of skeles then the only expensive bit is the Catapult.

the benefit of owning a high point-cost army

PiptheFair on
    edited August 2007
    I can't decide between painting my Screaming Skull Catapult as a big bone construct, or a big gold construct like my Tomb Scorpion.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited August 2007
    I can't decide between painting my Screaming Skull Catapult as a big bone construct, or a big gold construct like my Tomb Scorpion.

Bone, I get the feeling that much gold whould look horrible.

Norgoth on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    anyone play dwarves?

I need a fantasy rulebook, and I'd rather get the box set with the goblins than have to spend fifty bones just for a hardcover version of the same damn thing without all the extra goodies, but I hope to split a small part of the cost with someone who could actually use the stumpies models.
    Honestly, as a person who wanted to start a Dwarf army and had an unnatural love for gobbo-based O&G armies the whole set was win-win.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited August 2007
    WHY wrote: »
    anyone play dwarves?

I need a fantasy rulebook, and I'd rather get the box set with the goblins than have to spend fifty bones just for a hardcover version of the same damn thing without all the extra goodies, but I hope to split a small part of the cost with someone who could actually use the stumpies models.
    Honestly, as a person who wanted to start a Dwarf army and had an unnatural love for gobbo-based O&G armies the whole set was win-win.

Its worth the cash for the one faction alone.

Norgoth on
    edited August 2007

It looked sort of cool on my scorpion.
    scorpionfront.jpg

I'm trying to get a good mental image of this big gold trimmed army sitting on the table, and it feels like it would be really cool thematically.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    anyone play dwarves?

Sending PM now.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    drhazard wrote: »
    anyone play dwarves?

Sending PM now.

got it.

thanks, dude.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited August 2007
    My updated Mordheim list.
    Plague lord - 85 pts
    Halberd - 10
    Light Armor -20
    Helmet - 10
    sling - 2

Total - 127

Pestilens Sorcerer - 45
    Sling - 2

Total - 47

Plague Monk - 45
    Censer - 40

total - 85

Monk Initiate - 25
    sword - 10
    sling - 2

Total 37

Monk Initiate - 25
    sword -10
    sling - 2

Total - 37

Monk Initiate - 25
    sword - 10
    sling - 2

Total - 35

Plague Novice - 20 each x 6
    sling - 2
    dagger - 2

Total - 110

Total 500 pts

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Just ten more freaking Free Company to go.

Then I have to base all of the other models.

ugh.

Der Waffle Mous on
    edited August 2007
    Behold the fruits of my labors, 1000pts of the Army of the Reik.
    1kempire-1.jpg

Father Sternholm, Warrior Priest.
    Albrecht Hartmann, Gray Wizard.
    Gilliard De Rosan, Bright Wizard.

Reiksguard, 5x IC knights with lances.

Osburg 3rd Swordsman regiment, 20x swordsmen.
    Osburg Auxiliary regiment, 10x free company detachment.
    Osburg 1st Musketeers, 8x handgunners detachment.

Elbert's Bad-arse Brigade, 10x free company.

205th Nuln Cannoneers. Great Cannon

Der Waffle Mous on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    details, man! details! Closeups and macro-zoom!

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited August 2007
    IMG_1973.jpg

Reiksguard knights

IMG_1978.jpg

cannon, some musketeers, and a Elbert's guys.

IMG_1977.jpg

And the swordsmen.

Der Waffle Mous on
    edited August 2007
    WHY wrote: »
    IMG_1973.jpg

Reiksguard knights

IMG_1978.jpg

cannon, some musketeers, and a Elbert's guys.

IMG_1977.jpg

And the swordsmen.

Nice. I was planning on taking a leaf out of ardvarks book and doing a guide to getting a play standard army painted, but my parents have taken both the houses digital cameras, so thats gone out the window. I still might do a thread, but it whould need others to submit examples of techniques and things.

It looked sort of cool on my scorpion.
    scorpionfront.jpg

I'm trying to get a good mental image of this big gold trimmed army sitting on the table, and it feels like it would be really cool thematically.

It might be cool, but I think you whould need to break up the gold on the Catapult somehow to stop it just being one block colour.

Norgoth on
    edited August 2007
    My army actually did pretty well. Came in 5th overall, 4th in generalship.

First round was against Ogres. The special rule was to pick one unit that will give double points upon being destroyed. Naturally, he picked my Cannon because it's fairly easy Gorger pickings. I had some horrible luck that round, said cannon misfired and exploded the first round of shooting, Handgunners managed to miss everything, including a short-range enfilade, and my knights charged his Bruiser and rolled no hits, and were promptly ground into a fine, meaty paste.

I managed to kill a unit of Gnoblars and a single Ogre Bull, mostly due to the Wall of Fire spell.

Second round was against a new guy with Dwarfs, that one went the way most Empire vs. Dwarf games go, which is spending half the game just milling around trying to get the other guy into shooting range. Granted, I managed to get a solid victory out of that one, but the knights continued to fail me by charging and failing to get a wound. Fortunately, they survived the game. I decided to end it all with some flair, by charging my warrior priest and bright-wizard with the sword of rhuin into his last surviving unit.

Third was against something totally and completely unexpected; a Dogs of War army. Duellists, a halfling hot-pot, a bunch of ogres and crossbowmen, and the Alcatani Fellowship. The Hot-pot was largely a non-issue as the misfires caused it to miss a good four turns, though I'd assume the crewmen had a nice lunch. The Alcatani Pikemen, while somewhat frightening, ended up being somewhat less effective than I'd have otherwise thought. A massacre on my part, for this.

The last was against some Hordes of Chaos, with a daemon who liked to vomit on my troops. Fortunately, he got a cannonball in the face the second turn, taking out roughly a third of his points. Most of my other troops ended up being chewed up, though. My knights, however, finally had karma go in their favor by not losing a single wound, and running down several hounds and a chariot. My swordsman block, with the priest, broke after having their unbreakable status dispelled, luckily managed to roll suprisingly well on their fleeing dice. High enough so that they don't get run down by the chaos ogres, but low enough that they were never really in danger of going off the map. The fact that they rallied in the last turn really saved everything, too. This one managed to be a draw, and was otherwise a really, really wierd-assed game.

The Lore of Shadows spell that makes a unit cause fear is suprisingly useful in certain situations. Like casting it on a unit of handgunners about to get charged.

Y'know, there's a certain charm in playing 1000pt WFB games. They're relatively quick, you don't have to worry about too many units, and being limited to Hero-level characters makes for some really nice scenarios.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well done! How many people were there?

I like playing at 1k points for the same reason. You have enough men and units to make things interesting but without a huge dependence on magic or insane characters. Also the fact that I can field nearly 130 men (rats) at 1000 points.

Die-Die man-thing!

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    edited August 2007
    Tomb Kings are a bitch to play at a thousand. I try to avoid it with them.

That said, GamesDay was very good to me.
    If you bought $100 worth of models, they gave you a raffle ticket and a grab bag. But it looks like they maybe gave you two bags instead of one, so I ended up leaving Gamesday with:
    (purchased)
    Forgeworld Skwadron Commander
    Forgeworld Imperial Pilot
    Gamesday Exclusive Orc
    A metal chaos undivided lapel pin
    Direct Exclusive giant eagle
    textured movement trays

(free in my grab bag)
    1 tub of snow flock
    1 tub of green static grass
    1 tub of the brownish static grass
    bottle of plastic glue
    bag of 40k round bases
    bag of barbed wire
    jungle swarm blister
    tomb guard command blister
    saurus old one blister
    Empire Engineer blister

Oh, and they were handing out Warhammer Online beta keys.

GABBO GABBO GABBO on
    edited August 2007
    Gamesday Exclusive Orc
    Gamesday Exclusive Orc
    Gamesday Exclusive Orc

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited August 2007
    Gamesday Exclusive Orc
    Gamesday Exclusive Orc
    Gamesday Exclusive Orc

My friends had one for about 2 weeks, his came in the post.

Norgoth on
    edited August 2007
    Is it an awesome Orc?

Asher on
    edited August 2007
    Exitus wrote: »
    Is it an awesome Orc?

How awsome is it?
    gdmodel_lg.jpg

So Awsome

Norgoth on
    edited August 2007
    I remember seeing that at some point. Yes, very awesome.

Asher on
This discussion has been closed.