As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] Priest Talk: I've Tested Positive for Shadow

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Septus wrote:
    exis wrote:
    I just saved myself some talent points. Whee!

At the cost of a global cooldown and a bunch of mana. Whee?
    Honestly. Shadow form is mana intensive already. Viper sting>Shadow priest

:winky:

Edit: Fuck Dwarves.

JAEF on
  • Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    JAEF wrote:
    Septus wrote:
    exis wrote:

If you can live without the heal, then don't fucking spec for it. Plenty of people would consider them "x" spec but not have that trees 31 point talent. If you can find something elsewhere you'd rather have, or spend more points in the earlier parts in the tree, then do it. Stop bitching that the already highly augmented damage aspect of the tree didn't get another addition. It gave shadow priests more survivability, which seems crazy because we/they already are one of the harder classes to kill.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    MalvientMalvient Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    exis wrote:
    Derrick wrote:
    I understand people being upset about shadow mending. You'd expect the 41 point shadow talent to be damage. I mean, if you're specced that far into shadow, obviously that is your focus.

I can see it being quite useful in PvP for self healing (if it allows that). But I still wouldn't count on gettting a heal from anyone in shadowform in current BGs. And in raids, eh they'll probably either be healing or shadow (slim chance but some make it).

Really the only thing I see about this spell is increasing shadowpriest survivability. More power to them.
    1) drop shadowform
    2) cast flash heal
    3) recast shadowform

you're missing a fairly big bonus though; two schools with a healing spell, effectively fucking up kick/counterspell

Malvient on
    EVE-Online: Eryx Terayen, Seraphal
    World of Warcraft - Calbert, Azjol-Nerub (PvE)
    syrairc.png
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    JAEF wrote:
    Septus wrote:
    exis wrote:

If you can live without the heal, then don't fucking spec for it. Plenty of people would consider them "x" spec but not have that trees 31 point talent. If you can find something elsewhere you'd rather have, or spend more points in the earlier parts in the tree, then do it. Stop bitching that the already highly augmented damage aspect of the tree didn't get another addition. It gave shadow priests more survivability, which seems crazy because we/they already are one of the harder classes to kill.
    I'm bitching because imo it's not worthy of being a 41 point talent. I won't spec it, doesn't mean I can't complain about it.

exis on
  • Options
    goldengolden Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    yeah, I dunno what they were thinking with the holy tree

I can't believe they decided to keep lightwell and lower its cooldown by 2 minutes

ughhhhhhh

golden on
    sig7.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I don't think people are really grasping what circle of renewal means. It's basically functions like a grenade in that everyone within the radius of 15 yards of who you targeted (in that players particular party) gets the dot. So you set up your raid with all melee dps in their own groups, just use that and it heals that whole party from the safety of 40 yards.

It's not a prayer of healing around the priest with a dot rather then a direct heal. It's a way to safely HOT 1-5 people at a distance.

ParisInFlames on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Circle of Renewal is a very good concept. 31-39 holy is not.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    You have better healing than a druid or shaman. They cannot compete unless they spec for healing. Thus, you are open to having some damage talents.

And honestly, the damage talents ain't much to fret over. Several help healing too (reduced cast time, +crit, etc.), and Searing Light is a mere two points.

Druids have no talents in Resto that help both offense and healing at the same time.

Rorus Raz: Turning every fucking Wow thread into a discussion about Druids since 2004.
    He mentioned druids in the first post.

Shit, let me buy your next set of contacts. Your current brand sucks.

It's Toad. He can read it just fine. He's just happier trolling everyone for everything.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    I wouldn't spec for the skill, but it's not as bad as people are trying to make it out to be. I'm pretty sure you get more straight healing with this build then you would going any further into holy, which is too bad.

The talents that bug me the most in holy are probably the ones focusing around prayer of healing. Prayer of healing is just far too situational. Although, did anyone else notice the "Reduces mana cost of Prayer of healing and Prayer of Mending by 10/20%"? Redemption is buggy/lags. Lolwell is a interesting idea, but executed very poorly.

ParisInFlames on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I use PoH quite a bit more than most priests. I usually am the 5th in a melee group (3 melee DPS, 1 shaman, me). I PoH pretty much whenever the three melee are missing significant amounts of health, choosing between rank 2-5. I don't mind the overhealing, since it's still going to be more efficient and quicker than renews or single heals on them.

I don't have imp PoH in my current spec, but it was one of my favorite talents from holy when I did have it.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    apollotreatinguapollotreatingu __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2006
    Magicawe wrote:
    Lejin wrote:
    Its also not like you have to get the shadow heal.

We don't have to get Lightwell either but at some point we would like top tier talents that are appealing.

Look at the rogue trees then talk about appealing top tier talents.

Our new combat 41pt talent is actually a dps decrease.

*sigh*

No, it is not a fucking DECREASE. The only reason people are spewing that stupid shit is they assume that when the talent prevents a dodge from Backstab, Sinister Strike, etc. that it will not crit, when that obviously is not the case. They wouldn't make a fucking talent that decreased your DPS.

Actually they would... If the backstab would have been dodged (costing no energy) but it instead was a non critical strike costing full energy, then it's a dps decrease. I've seen the math, I didn't make it up.

Not to even mention that I've had my backstab dodged about once the whole time I've been playing.

apollotreatingu on
    Hey guys I got an avatar, can I hang out now?
    I'll let you ride my bike!
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Magicawe wrote:
    Lejin wrote:

We don't have to get Lightwell either but at some point we would like top tier talents that are appealing.

*sigh*

No, it is not a fucking DECREASE. The only reason people are spewing that stupid shit is they assume that when the talent prevents a dodge from Backstab, Sinister Strike, etc. that it will not crit, when that obviously is not the case. They wouldn't make a fucking talent that decreased your DPS.

Actually they would... If the backstab would have been dodged (costing no energy) but it instead was a non critical strike costing full energy, then it's a dps decrease. I've seen the math, I didn't make it up.

Not to even mention that I've had my backstab dodged about once the whole time I've been playing.

So, you're saying that hitting your opponent is a DPS decrease?

What the fucking shit?

reVerse on
  • Options
    Dely AppleDely Apple Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    The true objective of WoW is to never hit anyone, ever.

We don't want more Ike Turners, do we?

Dely Apple on
    feets.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    reVerse wrote:
    Magicawe wrote:
    Lejin wrote:

*sigh*

So, you're saying that hitting your opponent is a DPS decrease?

What the fucking shit?

I'm saying that not getting a crital strike is a DPS decrease. If it's dodged you save your energy and can backstab again. If its a non crit you are loosing DPS per energy... just how the rogue works.

Rogues have the highest chance to crit of any class in the game. At lvl 38 my backstab has a 50% crit chance in greens. So I expect to crit frequently and whenever I get a non-crit I would gladly trade it for a dodged attack and still have my energy.

Best way I know to explain it.

Also, Drysc made a post a few weeks ago saying the Combat and Assin tree 41pt talents were gonna get a buff.

apollotreatingu on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    Why the assumption that it won't crit?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TophobiiTophobii Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Attack_table

If an attack was to be dodged, it was not going to crit, the events are mutually exclusive.

Tophobii on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2006
    Tophobii wrote:

If an attack was to be dodged, it was not going to crit, the events are mutually exclusive.
    Again, you are making an assumption.

How do you know that the attacks will even take dodge into consideration? What if just ignores the possibility of dodge completely when using those attacks?

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Tophobii wrote:

Interesting data. Wowwiki really is the place to go if you want to know the math behind the game. Of course, all signs point to the math behind the game being changed on expansion release, as seen from looking at the screenshots with odd defense/crit ratings etcet.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Oh, I see. It would make more sense to just remove Dodge from the table. Surprise Attacks is effectively +(Chance to be dodged) to hit then, by the looks of it.

Tophobii on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Tophobii wrote:
    Oh, I see. It would make more sense to just remove Dodge from the table. Surprise Attacks is effectively +(Chance to be dodged) to hit then, by the looks of it.
    Not exactly, since removing dodge from the table would still lower your crit rate. Normally, you'd have say 10% various misses, 30% crit, 60% normal, now you'd get 5% misses, 30% crit, 65% normal.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    SanderJK wrote:
    Tophobii wrote:
    Not exactly, since removing dodge from the table would still lower your crit rate. Normally, you'd have say 10% various misses, 30% crit, 60% normal, now you'd get 5% misses, 30% crit, 65% normal.
    I don't see a decrease in Crits, just an increase in Hits.

So compared to Hits the amount of Crits would be lower, but overall the same.

Tophobii on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Tophobii wrote:

How do you know that the attacks will even take dodge into consideration? What if just ignores the possibility of dodge completely when using those attacks?

Well, the mechanics works like this:

If the attack was going to be dodged but it hits, then it's a glancing blow; a non-crit.

With my 50% chance to crit we can, in example, say that I will get a critical strike on every other backstab.

Backstab non-crit. damage: around 180
    Backstab crit. damage: around 500

So ask yourself this, would u rather do 180 damage for 60 energy, or have it miss, wait 1.7seconds and do 500 damage for 60 energy?

apollotreatingu on
  • Options
    GolemGolem of Sand Saint Joseph, MORegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Tophobii wrote:

If the attack was going to be dodged but it hits, then it's a glancing blow; a non-crit.

With my 50% chance to crit we can, in example, say that I will get a critical strike on every other backstab.

So ask yourself this, would u rather do 180 damage for 60 energy, or have it miss, wait 1.7seconds and do 500 damage for 60 energy?

The only reason that i care about rogue DPS in a Priest Discussion is how badly they will kill themselves on my Power Word: Shield. That 35 point Disp talent is gunna be amazing for PVP.

and i do see the usefulness of the shadowheal, took me awhile from being so disappointed that I didnt get a new kick ass 41 point shadow dmg talent. The shadow "heal" is ok and i like it, i think it should be a normal skill or at least not 41 points, you could use the 41 point spot for something amazing.

Golem on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Either way, it's at best, a very teeny tiny increase in dps for a 41 point talent.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Golem wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Tophobii wrote:

The only reason that i care about rogue DPS in a Priest Discussion is how badly they will kill themselves on my Power Word: Shield. That 35 point Disp talent is gunna be amazing for PVP.

and i do see the usefulness of the shadowheal, took me awhile from being so disappointed that I didnt get a new kick ass 41 point shadow dmg talent. The shadow "heal" is ok and i like it, i think it should be a normal skill or at least not 41 points, you could use the 41 point spot for something amazing.

Shiv is going to be my best friend. Your gonna get Ambush -> Shiv with Mind Numbing Poison. Try and cast some shit now bitch!

apollotreatingu on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Can we stick to the topic here, damn! lol

my Question is will the reflect dmg shield cause the reflect dmg if you cast it on another person. Seems kind of hacks if it works that way.

*Idea*

41 point Priest Talent Holy Tree
    Instant Cast
    3min CD
    "Sleep"
    Sleeps the target for 30sec

Basically this plays into the "masters of charm" side of the priest blizzard said we had but did nothing to explore this side.

Golem on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    You guys remember when people were talking about 2v2 combos?

Well I was kinda curious how the Shadow Priest and Warlock combo would work.
    So, yesterday I got caught unstealthed by that combo and.... oh god... the dots... I was dead the the instant the fight started.

apollotreatingu on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Tophobii wrote:

Combo Point?

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    You guys remember when people were talking about 2v2 combos?

Well I was kinda curious how the Shadow Priest and Warlock combo would work.
    So, yesterday I got caught unstealthed by that combo and.... oh god... the dots... I was dead the the instant the fight started.

Dude Fuck Yeah, Im looking forward to this combo big time.

PI the lock and then cast a dot on the rogue so that he get missery. GG
    Not to mention the fears from both.

Ive got a friend that has GM gear for her lock and she also has 8/8 felheart and 3/8 Nemesis, Im looking forward to tearing up the BGs being Displine spec healing.

Like the though of a warrior wailing on me and I keep spamming sheild until im hurting bad (40% ish) pop that 60% dmg reduction skill. and watch the dots kill him, while i let the renews and blessed recoverys and a flash heal or two catch me back up.

Death coil in a pinch... Seduction... mmmm i feel all warm and fuzzy

Jeeze Lueeze PPL go to the Rogue discussion post.

Golem on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Reigner wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Tophobii wrote:

Combo Point?

For me ( a SF rogue) crit = 2 combo points. non-cirt = 1combo point.

So no.

apollotreatingu on
  • Options
    KinetiKKinetiK Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Hello, move to a rogue thread you dirty slinking bastards!

I have 36 points in holy because my equipment wasn't that hot and my guild has Anub/Raz/Noth down and are butting heads with C'thun right now so I needed all the +heal help I could get. I'm wondering if I couldn't get more utility out of my build by going more disc (mental agility, spirit) and dropping some out of holy like imp PoH etc.

http://ctprofiles.net/1486603

KinetiK on
    Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    *Changed the title of the Topic to more accuratly discribe the content*

Golem on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2006
    As a Combat/Swords (currently 19/32/0) build, if the mechanics behind this were tweaked right, I could see it being very good to me.

And considering the amount of crap (read as; good stuff) that dagger rogues get, I wouldn't mind it kind of being the domain of non-dagger builds.

Daggers already starts off with some incredible burst damage, streaky as it may be. This would just make those slower, harder hitting weapons more consistant.

But yes, I remain skeptical, and hope that they do indeed see a little buffing before release.

As for priests, I'll probably keep mine Disc/Holy for raiding... but shadow for levelling is going to be all kinds of fun.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Tophobii wrote:

Thank you for being the only person who understood my point. I'm absolutley positive this is the way it would work, making it otherwise would be fucktarded. Glancing blows have nothing to do with the talent.
    Reigner wrote:
    Combo Point?
    For me ( a SF rogue) crit = 2 combo points. non-cirt = 1combo point.

So no.

Except you can't get SF if you get Surprise Attacks anyway...

Mgcw on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Can we get back on topic now.

> Priest Talents

> Why is Holy tree new talents less focused on healing
    > Shadowmend a good skill not worth 41 points (let make it a normal skill or a very low rank on the shadow tree)
    > "Masters of Charm" we have only one combat charm spell!

Golem on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Uh, has Blizzard ever described the priests as masters of charm? Is that some really old class description from release?

Septus on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Septus wrote:
    Uh, has Blizzard ever described the priests as masters of charm? Is that some really old class description from release?

It was when I rolled my Priest (first day of release) maybe they have removed that description, I still want Sleep dammit gimme gimme!

Golem on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Yeah, they had no idea what they were talking about in those days.

Septus on
  • Options
    Emo KidEmo Kid Registered User regular
    edited September 2006
    I fully support bringing back Sleep and Brainwash. yay4charms

Emo Kid on
  • Options
    edited September 2006
    Emo Kid wrote:
    I fully support bringing back Sleep and Brainwash. yay4charms