As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Speaking of google maps.

Should it be able to contact my contact list? Because it can't.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Speaking of google maps.

It can not, no. Third party app restriction, unfortunately.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Speaking of google maps.

That's silly - all third party apps can access the contact list. A popup appeas asking "suchandsuch app what's to access your contacts" with an allow or deny button.

I don't understand why google didn't use that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Speaking of google maps.

That's silly - all third party apps can access the contact list. A popup appeas asking "suchandsuch app what's to access your contacts" with an allow or deny button.

I don't understand why google didn't use that.

Right. I worded that badly. Third party apps CAN access contact info, but they have to ask permission. Google Maps doesn't do that, for whatever reason. I'm really not sure why, either.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Can anyone confirm that TV apps like TWC TV and WatchESPN don't work with the new JB? I saw in an article on The Verge that they might not function afterwards, which would be a total deal breaker on my iPad 3 (not so much iPhone 5).

EDIT: I can confirm JB breaks the TWC TV app and Flixster streaming, but there are simple, free fixes for them. WatchESPN works just fine.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So I just got the idea of using my iPad as a second monitor. Does anyone have any experience with that? "Air Display" seems to be the first result from Google (there's unfortunately no longer a trial version). It's $10 though :/

Anyone know any other choices that work? It's not super important, but just would be kind of cool

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Well it just magically started charging. But now my touch screen is getting poltergeist scary.

Like I can hold my finger above some of the keys and it will register a key press. Then there are weird dead zones migrating randomly across the screen.

I need to complain briefly though. I thought i'd be smart and pair my bluetooth keyboard that I use for my iPad with my iPhone and send messages that way. No way to send from the keyboard. That lack of shortcuts is disturbing.

steam_sig.png
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    So I just got the idea of using my iPad as a second monitor. Does anyone have any experience with that? "Air Display" seems to be the first result from Google (there's unfortunately no longer a trial version). It's $10 though :/

Anyone know any other choices that work? It's not super important, but just would be kind of cool

I use iDisplay (link).

Works on OSX and Windows.

Only $5.

XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
    Is the Logitech Ultrathin case still the hotness for keyboard cases for the iPad, or has something new come out since that's flown under the radar? Thinking I might finally pick something like this up for mine, but the Logitech case is still pretty expensive.

steam_sig.png
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I saw the new one for the iPad mini the other day and it's definitely still the hotness.

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    what are y'all using for alarm clock apps, if anything?

trying to find one that isn't a cluttered trash heap of misguided UI design and i'm not having any luck

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Uh, the Clock app.

I don't need my alarm to do much more than wake me up at time A on days B, C, D, E and F. :P

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Uh, the Clock app.

I don't need my alarm to do much more than wake me up at time A on days B, C, D, E and F. :P

b o r i n g

Uh, the Clock app.

b o r i n g

But also the most reliable. Which is my number one feature in an alarm clock.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Uh, the Clock app.

b o r i n g

But also the most reliable. Which is my number one feature in an alarm clock.

uhh, yeah.

If you want your alarm clock to be exciting, change the ringtone it launches with to something that excites you.

But the apple Alarm clock, two funny bugs a year ago not withstanding, is a fucking rock and I rely exclusively on it.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    So I tried iDisplay today on my work-PC (Win 7) with my iPad (v3, retina).

From a functional standpoint it is great so far. However, it does disable Aero (the transparency effects in Win Vista and up), which makes me a pissy dude. Not a huge deal, and I 100% understand why they do it, but <whine tone="annoying-child">I don't like it. I want my pretties back.</whine>

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Does that get me anything that 2 monitors on my PC or Splashtop to remotely login doesn't already? Just not picturing how using my iPad as desktop extension helps me.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    edited February 2013
    I was just using it as a "junk" monitor. Things like my IM windows and Acrobat (I was reading a spec-sheet for a file for the IRS) were being put over there.

So no, it's nothing but an additional wireless monitor.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Having a bit of a shitty day after I noticed all the scratches on my phone's screen.

Shoulda never took that screen protector off, ugh. Hate myself.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited February 2013
    Quit carrying diamonds in the same pocket as your phone, zero.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    I got a giftcard for an iPhone 5 for Christmas. I'm ready now to purchase. Is this article still current (its from September) or have the networks improved/changed since then? I'm leaning towards Verizon 1GB/month but would like to know what you all think. I'm currently on Straight Talk, but I won't be considering that one (no 4G).

I'd add two things:

1) T-Mobile is rumored to finally be getting the iPhone 5 sometime this year (possibly in the spring) with LTE support.

2) Verizon iPhone 5's are unlocked, whereas the others are not. Whether that matters to you or not is entirely up to you.

Minutes, data, etc depends on how much you want to pay per month and what your typical usage is.

steam_sig.png
    I _may_ be mistaken, but I believe only the GSM sim card slot on the Verizon iPhone 5 is unlocked, not the CDMA side. So you could take it to AT&T or T-Mobile, but not Sprint.

Personally, I like AT&T a lot. Great coverage in NJ, LTE everywhere here, and it's faster than my DSL at work. Verizon's also usually a safe bet, since their network is equally (if not more so) huge.

So I'm messing with my contacts, and on the iPad it's showing facebook and icloud contacts. I added a phone number to FB contacts, and then it disappears from my contact list. Anyone ever seen this?

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    iPad mini question time:

I'm contemplating picking one up soon to replace my 6 year old Macbook for work purposes. I photograph new cars for a car dealership, then upload upwards of 120+ photos at a time. Provided that I buy a Lightning to USB/SD card adapter for it, would an iPad be capable of compressing photos then uploading the compressed file onto a website?

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    iPad mini question time:

I'm contemplating picking one up soon to replace my 6 year old Macbook for work purposes. I photograph new cars for a car dealership, then upload upwards of 120+ photos at a time. Provided that I buy a Lightning to USB/SD card adapter for it, would an iPad be capable of compressing photos then uploading the compressed file onto a website?

It's capable of doing it, but it probably depends on where/how you store your photos. I might recommend the full-size iPad for this kind of stuff, too.

a5ehren on
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I've been giving Feedly a try on my iPhone after using Reeder for nearly a year, and I like it a lot so far. It's certainly more visually interesting than Reeder, and I liking having image thumbnails for each article. The scrolling can be a bit wonky when an article has an image layout wider than the screen, and the built in Pocket/Readability function for the integrated browser does a good job with text but a terrible job scaling images to fit.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    edited March 2013
    I think I made a big, big mistake this past week.

I'd been toying with the idea of devising a hands-free solution for the iPad to use in bed as, frankly, the Smart Cover sucks for this on anything other than a hard flat surface and because holding it upright leaves my hands exposed to the cold (my room has terrible air circulation and it's been fucking cold outside the last couple weeks). I decided that, knowing I was about to enter into a fairly lengthy stretch of feeling awful and being bedridden, I'd finally figure out a solution to this. I looked at a few options, including floor and lamp-like stands that cost upwards of $80. Which is ridiculous. I did a little looking for a way to fashion my own similar solution but couldn't really find anything that was suitable for a hatchet job. Then I found a couple mic stands with fittings for iPads on them, but they were still fairly expensive and looked like they'd take up too much floor space for a "lounge in bed" solution. But it was obvious that some sort of swivel solution was what I needed.

Stumped, a friend of mine suggested I check Monoprice for VESA mounts. I had absolutely no idea they sold them, and had never even considered them for the iPad. I found a bunch of mounts, but nothing to mount the actual iPad. But then I found this, and it was like the clouds parted. I'd found my solution, and I grabbed this to mount it to. I found the absolute perfect spot on a wall right next to my bed to mount it on, which I later found out was in range of an electrical outlet I didn't even know existed in my room so I can actually charge the iPad while it's mounted, and have basically been laying in bed watching Fringe for the last 3 days while bathing in almost ridiculous levels of comfort and warmth. Hell, I don't even have to worry about accidentally damaging it by falling asleep (big reason I never used it to read as a means of falling asleep) due to the height it's mounted at and the angle it hangs at above the bed, though I can simply swivel it out of the way if I want to instead of just letting it hang in position. Easily some of the best $35 I've ever spent. If anyone's been looking for something similar I strongly recommend going this route, and I would say getting a mount with the ball joint on the end is a must. It allows for very fine adjustment that I've found key for perfect alignment whether lounging back or when I want to sit up and look down at it, and it removes the need to adjust the height of the mount itself.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • mynameaintyaomynameaintyao Registered User regular
    Pictures please :D

Did you zip tie the power cable along the arms?
    Bullio wrote: »

I'd been toying with the idea of devising a hands-free solution for the iPad to use in bed as, frankly, the Smart Cover sucks for this on anything other than a hard flat surface and because holding it upright leaves my hands exposed to the cold (my room has terrible air circulation and it's been fucking cold outside the last couple weeks). I decided that, knowing I was about to enter into a fairly lengthy stretch of feeling awful and being bedridden, I'd finally figure out a solution to this. I looked at a few options, including floor and lamp-like stands that cost upwards of $80. Which is ridiculous. I did a little looking for a way to fashion my own similar solution but couldn't really find anything that was suitable for a hatchet job. Then I found a couple mic stands with fittings for iPads on them, but they were still fairly expensive and looked like they'd take up too much floor space for a "lounge in bed" solution. But it was obvious that some sort of swivel solution was what I needed.

Stumped, a friend of mine suggested I check Monoprice for VESA mounts. I had absolutely no idea they sold them, and had never even considered them for the iPad. I found a bunch of mounts, but nothing to mount the actual iPad. But then I found this, and it was like the clouds parted. I'd found my solution, and I grabbed this to mount it to. I found the absolute perfect spot on a wall right next to my bed to mount it on, which I later found out was in range of an electrical outlet I didn't even know existed in my room so I can actually charge the iPad while it's mounted, and have basically been laying in bed watching Fringe for the last 3 days while bathing in almost ridiculous levels of comfort and warmth. Hell, I don't even have to worry about accidentally damaging it by falling asleep (big reason I never used it to read as a means of falling asleep) due to the height it's mounted at and the angle it hangs at above the bed, though I can simply swivel it out of the way if I want to instead of just letting it hang in position. Easily some of the best $35 I've ever spent. If anyone's been looking for something similar I strongly recommend going this route, and I would say getting a mount with the ball joint on the end is a must. It allows for very fine adjustment that I've found key for perfect alignment whether lounging back or when I want to sit up and look down at it, and it removes the need to adjust the height of the mount itself.

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Is there a fix yet for this iPhone 5 overheating issue? I'm definitely noticing my phon getting hot, and now my screen is also dimming, though I don't know if they're necessarily related.

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Can someone explain Apple's "iCloud" service to me? My wife ran out of space on her 16GB 4S, I was under the impression that she could just store her music "in the cloud" and just access it whenever. So she pays the 40 bucks for like another 20 GB of storage, fine. But now we're completely stuck as to how to put shit IN the cloud. All it seems like it's doing is backing up her phone...which the 5GB of free space did for her no problem. How can she just store ALL her music/photos/videos on this iCloud service and free her phone up to download apps? She can't even update anything at this point because her phone has about 6MB free space on it.

edited March 2013
    Allforce wrote: »
    Can someone explain Apple's "iCloud" service to me? My wife ran out of space on her 16GB 4S, I was under the impression that she could just store her music "in the cloud" and just access it whenever. So she pays the 40 bucks for like another 20 GB of storage, fine. But now we're completely stuck as to how to put shit IN the cloud. All it seems like it's doing is backing up her phone...which the 5GB of free space did for her no problem. How can she just store ALL her music/photos/videos on this iCloud service and free her phone up to download apps? She can't even update anything at this point because her phone has about 6MB free space on it.

iCloud is solely for backing up app data and syncing it between devices (such as podcast subscriptions in Downcast). You can't store things on it and retrieve them at will.

iTunes Match is what you're looking for when it comes to music. $25/year with a 25,000 song limit, can stream or download matched tracks to your iDevices. I'm almost positive you could simply backup the music you have on your device to iCloud, but you can't do anything with it other than back it up.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
    So that's 40 bucks wasted, great.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    I'm betting you could probably get a refund from Apple support. If you aren't close to using the 5GB of free iCloud space it should be obvious that you make a mistake in purchasing extra iCloud storage.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    She bought it like 2 weeks ago so probably not.

I'm confused as to what the service is actually FOR if you can't store items on it. If it's for app data like Bullio says, isn't that shit all stored anyways with Apple? I reformatted my iPad and could just download any app that I had before through the App Store.

I honestly assumed "iCloud" was their cloud storage service, like DropBox. What are people filling up 20-40GB with?

Allforce wrote: »
    She bought it like 2 weeks ago so probably not.

I'm confused as to what the service is actually FOR if you can't store items on it. If it's for app data like Bullio says, isn't that shit all stored anyways with Apple? I reformatted my iPad and could just download any app that I had before through the App Store.

I honestly assumed "iCloud" was their cloud storage service, like DropBox. What are people filling up 20-40GB with?

No, I'm betting they'll still refund you.

And it's for backup. Apple let's you redownload apps, but that won't preserve things like: podcasts, audiobooks, photos, videos, game saves, app settings, etc. that stuff is only stored in backups, either on your computer or via iCloud.

It's also used for syncing data across iOS devices and Macs, like documents in text editors, photos in photo editing apps, your place in books and podcasts, your mail settings and Safari bookmarks, etc.

PhotoStream and my iPad backups are what eat up most of my iCloud space.

But yeah, sounds like you wanted iTunes Match. Honestly, they'll probably be happy to help you out. Just tell them what happened. Apple's support department is actually pretty nice and pretty flexible for the size of company they are.

Get iTunes Match, its pretty baller.

Also, the 25,000 songs only applies to songs in THEIR library that you happen to have a copy of from whatever means.

If you have a bunch of niche, unique stuff that is not a part of the iTunes Music store, it will bleed over into the iCloud storage, and will not count against your 25,000 song limit.

I have about 6 gigs of my icloud taken up by music like that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    PhotoStream and my iPad backups are what eat up most of my iCloud space.

But yeah, sounds like you wanted iTunes Match. Honestly, they'll probably be happy to help you out. Just tell them what happened. Apple's support department is actually pretty nice and pretty flexible for the size of company they are.

Photostream doesn't actually count towards your iCloud storage. It's just a 1000 photos! No more! It does back up photos on your device in icloud backup, but you can turn that off (in icloud backup settings) because if you have photostream enabled on a pc or mac it will automatically download it there, reducing the need for another backup.

@Syndalis, are you sure about niche music counting towards your icloud backup? I have quite a bit myself but I can't find anything about it anywhere. As for the 25,000 song limit, this only refers to songs you did NOT buy through the itunes music store (e.g. You pirated or ripped from cds) if you only download from the ITMS it's basically infinite.

steam_sig.png
    Bullio wrote: »

Did anyone else keep reading waiting for an iPad break? Glad it worked out- even if it means you never get out of bed...