As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Requesting a comic critique (HijiNKS Ensue)

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Guy of Gisborne joke!

I love you.

Anywho. I like it. Got some funny stuff in there. I don't know shit about art so I'll just stick with saying that the humor is good.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    hijinksensuehijinksensue Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    anable wrote: »
    That's a pretty good job dressing up your characters while still keeping their unique qualities. I think the joke is flat, but again, the costumes are well done.
    Thanks! Several people have asked why they all have beards. Despite the fact that the people they are based on have beards, it makes telling them apart easier.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Guy of Gisborne joke!

I love you.

Anywho. I like it. Got some funny stuff in there. I don't know shit about art so I'll just stick with saying that the humor is good.
    I appreciate the comments. Glad you liked the joke, but I would be interested to know what you thought of the art, regardless of whether or not you "know shit" about it. Anyone can tell you what they find appealing without claiming to be an expert.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    These are all great. I love the Harry Potter spoiler one, how that guy immediately knows what 'the helmets' are when told to get them.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    milknpeachesmilknpeaches Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The art needs black borders around each panel, a different font, and more shading on the characters

milknpeaches on
  • Options
    CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Do you have any reasons you think he needs to do this? What's wrong with the font? I can understand the want for black borders but I think his gutters are wide enough for him to be fine without it. The shading is up to his own disgression. (Well, everything is really)

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    These are all great. I love the Harry Potter spoiler one, how that guy immediately knows what 'the helmets' are when told to get them.
    Thanks! I hoped that would come across, like they often have to "get the helmets" for various reasons.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The art needs black borders around each panel, a different font, and more shading on the characters
    Thanks for the input. I struggled with picking a font that had the look i was going for but was still readable. I like this one. Its CrimeFighterBB from Blambot.

I think the black border might look weird but I will give it a try and see what happens. Any examples of this?

I would like to do the shading but its a time issue now.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Crowleston wrote: »
    Do you have any reasons you think he needs to do this? What's wrong with the font? I can understand the want for black borders but I think his gutters are wide enough for him to be fine without it. The shading is up to his own disgression. (Well, everything is really)
    Yeah, I think these issues were all stylistic choices rather than requirements. Most of the comics i read dont do heavy shading (probably out of laziness like me) but I also tend to like the flat look vs the overly 3d cell shaded look.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just noticed that out of the last six comics, three of them end with characters gasping (transformer, pubic hair, suicide).

I don't think this is make or break, but just a heads up that you don't want to end 50% of your content on that note. It's kind of like those Bash quotes that have "lol" at the end. Leave the funny part, but cut that stuff out all together.

anable on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I just noticed that out of the last six comics, three of them end with characters gasping (transformer, pubic hair, suicide).

I don't think this is make or break, but just a heads up that you don't want to end 50% of your content on that note. It's kind of like those Bash quotes that have "lol" at the end. Leave the funny part, but cut that stuff out all together.
    Wow. I hadnt noticed that. Thanks for the heads up. The one Im working on right now does not end with a gasp so at least Ive broken the chain.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also, I am going to form a band and call it "Transformer Pubic Hair Suicide."

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ok! Got something. The guy with the largest beard seems to be changing skin tones. Like some wonky tanning cycle.

Clarity Edit - Eli! Sorry. Didn't know the name and had to look again.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ok! Got something. The guy with the largest beard seems to be changing skin tones. Like some wonky tanning cycle.

Clarity Edit - Eli! Sorry. Didn't know the name and had to look again.
    I see what you mean, but its the context of his wig and costume colors that make it seem to change. When you sample his skin in photoshop its the same value.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ok gotcha. That's all I came up with. I like the art. It's nice and clean.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    anableanable North TexasRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Wow. I hadnt noticed that. Thanks for the heads up. The one Im working on right now does not end with a gasp so at least Ive broken the chain.

The thing is that you can have all of those jokes be exactly the same and just take out the gasp.

without.jpg

Ignoring the hand on the side of the picture.

anable on
  • Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Also, I am going to form a band and call it "Transformer Pubic Hair Suicide."

...transpubicide...

I agree that the 2D look works well for these comics. I don't think you need to shade them.

lyrium on
  • Options
    Mr. H.G. BlobMr. H.G. Blob Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Here's the most recent comic. This was really just an excuse to draw the different costumes. Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

-Joel

2007-08-08-comic-con-07-firefly-venture-brothers-fifth-element.jpg

"Zoe"'s line actually made me lol. Firefly 4 life.

Mr. H.G. Blob on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    man, you can disregard my opinions if you want, but your comic will suffer for it.

Atm your art is completely flat and lifeless. Flat colors (no shading), flat backgrounds (no perspective). And the text - while not bad - is still kind of... flat. Nothing jumps out at me and says, "pay attention, for I am important."

Anyways, I think your comic has more potential than anything else I've seen on these forums, and I wanted to point this shit out. But don't listen if you don't care to improve.

milknpeaches on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    man, you can disregard my opinions if you want, but your comic will suffer for it.

Atm your art is completely flat and lifeless. Flat colors (no shading), flat backgrounds (no perspective). And the text - while not bad - is still kind of... flat. Nothing jumps out at me and says, "pay attention, for I am important."

Anyways, I think your comic has more potential than anything else I've seen on these forums, and I wanted to point this shit out. But don't listen if you don't care to improve.

You have some weird passive-aggresive issues going on, dude.

Brolo on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

By disregard, do you mean "Read, understood and took under advisement."?

MKR on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    man, you don't even want to know about my issues (wink omg lol)

you've got to admit that borders, shading, and a different font would improve the comic. And I don't think my suggestions were taken under advisement, I think they were decided against. So I am getting all pissy :)

milknpeaches on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

The thing is that you can have all of those jokes be exactly the same and just take out the gasp.

without.jpg

I think it'd be better without the sound effect, myself.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    man, you don't even want to know about my issues (wink omg lol)

you've got to admit that borders, shading, and a different font would improve the comic. And I don't think my suggestions were taken under advisement, I think they were decided against. So I am getting all pissy :)
    Somehow I got unsubscribed from this thread so I have missed that last few comments. I tried the black border thing on my newest comic. Not sure if I like it but I did take it under advisement.

I dont agree that the art is lifeless, but I do appreciate your feedback. I will post the new comic here in a minute and you can see what you think about the borders.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007

Thanks for taking the time to illustrate that. I see what you mean. I will definitely be more conscious of the "gasps" from here on out.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I think it'd be better without the sound effect, myself.

Yeah, that might have been a tad forced. I'll look out for that in the future.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The new comic is up. The final panel was a real challenge artistically but I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I tried a black border around the first two panels as milknpeaches suggested. I think it looks alright, but Im not too sure about it. Maybe a thicker line would have made more impact.

2007-08-14-geeksplosion-cloverfield.jpg

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The One 52The One 52 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The sole mention of Marty McFly as a Jedi makes this comic pure awesome.

A bit too much of text though, especially in the first panel.

The One 52 on
    bigbosssig.gif
    The internet does not qualify as grounds where you can act like a bouquet of dick.
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The One 52 wrote: »
    The sole mention of Marty McFly as a Jedi makes this comic pure awesome.

A bit too much of text though, especially in the first panel.
    Believe me, I know its too much text. I kinda just said "fuck it" and stopped trying to make the first panel shorter.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    falcor.jpg

MKR on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    2007-08-14-geeksplosion-cloverfield.jpg

Y'know, it might even be more fun to split the 1st panel into 2 panels, replace the 3rd panel with the 2nd panel, and just let people try and pick out all the different characters on their own. I literally was able to name everybody before I even read through the Star Wars-style text (although admittedly I called Tom Servo 'That robot from MST3K'... I guess I'm not as big of a geek as I thought :()

Grey ST jacket - It's Wesley!
    Is that puffy jacket guy Han... no wait, Marty McFly!
    Oh shi- agent Smith!

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You're in desperate need for some new typography, but I think this comic has been your best one so far.

Brolo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Golden Yak wrote: »

Y'know, it might even be more fun to split the 1st panel into 2 panels, replace the 3rd panel with the 2nd panel, and just let people try and pick out all the different characters on their own. I literally was able to name everybody before I even read through the Star Wars-style text (although admittedly I called Tom Servo 'That robot from MST3K'... I guess I'm not as big of a geek as I thought :()

Grey ST jacket - It's Wesley!
    Is that puffy jacket guy Han... no wait, Marty McFly!
    Oh shi- agent Smith!

Thanks for the feedback. That probably would make for a more succinct comic. I am working on trying not to over explain things.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Rolo wrote: »
    You're in desperate need for some new typography, but I think this comic has been your best one so far.
    Thanks! Any font suggestions?

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    99% of the time, your comics seem to have too much text. Less text please!

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sorry if I came off as a bit of a psychopath/jerk in my last couple posts, I was at work. That's a pretty poor excuse but work just puts me in a bad mood.

I think for the black border to work it should be about twice as thick. On the other hand, if you don't like that then it looks fine without.

I like the way you do caricatures, IMO you should draw yourself and your friends that way too. Maybe just try it out in a strip and see if you like it?

Also, I'd use something more like Blambot: Mighty Zeo for the font.

milknpeaches on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    99% of the time, your comics seem to have too much text. Less text please!
    I agree. Im trying to find ways to tell the same jokes with fewer words.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Sorry if I came off as a bit of a psychopath/jerk in my last couple posts, I was at work. That's a pretty poor excuse but work just puts me in a bad mood.

I think for the black border to work it should be about twice as thick. On the other hand, if you don't like that then it looks fine without.

I like the way you do caricatures, IMO you should draw yourself and your friends that way too. Maybe just try it out in a strip and see if you like it?

Also, I'd use something more like Blambot: Mighty Zeo for the font.
    I thickened it up and it looks better. I'll check out that font. Thanks!

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    OK, I want to pick a new font and I need some opinions. Here are the Blambot Fonts I am considering.

Click for fonts:
    Evil Genius BB
    3026.big.png

Letter-o-mattic
    797.big.png

Webletterer BB
    2705.big.png

Digital Strip
    1028.big.png

ACME Secret Agent
    566.big.png

CrimeFighter BB (Current Font)
    2927.big.png

Sprectre Verde
    2892.big.png

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Mr. H.G. BlobMr. H.G. Blob Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    OK, I want to pick a new font and I need some opinions. Here are the Blambot Fonts I am considering.

Click for fonts:
    Evil Genius BB
    3026.big.png

Letter-o-mattic
    797.big.png

Webletterer BB
    2705.big.png

Digital Strip
    1028.big.png

ACME Secret Agent
    566.big.png

CrimeFighter BB (Current Font)
    2927.big.png

Sprectre Verde
    2892.big.png

Webletterer BB is the best of the set, but I'm not crazy about any of them.

Mr. H.G. Blob on