As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do you recycle? I don't even have the option. (Also incentivizing "green" behavior)

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    A few years back I tried to make myself paperless, and I've mostly succeeded. If people send you PDF's etc., it's easy enough to make a signature using a touch phone, save it as a stencil or similar and lay it on PDF docs to email back.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    On a recycling note, we caught the trash guys throwing all our recycling away with the trash one day about a month ago and my wife went absolutely BALLISTIC on them, called the waste management company (who admitted fault), and then sent a letter to the mayor and got an actual reply that they'll be investigating. She's a teacher who takes her class to the landfill every year on a field trip and goes out of her way to provide recycling bins for all her kids who need them (we have single stream recycling, easy).

Just mind-boggling and really makes you think how often that occurs.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    On a recycling note, we caught the trash guys throwing all our recycling away with the trash one day about a month ago and my wife went absolutely BALLISTIC on them, called the waste management company (who admitted fault), and then sent a letter to the mayor and got an actual reply that they'll be investigating. She's a teacher who takes her class to the landfill every year on a field trip and goes out of her way to provide recycling bins for all her kids who need them (we have single stream recycling, easy).

I'm relatively certain they dump all the paper my office produces (a whole lot for it's size) into the trash. I've seen them walk around dumping garbage and recycle into the same container pretty frequently.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

I'm relatively certain they dump all the paper my office produces (a whole lot for it's size) into the trash. I've seen them walk around dumping garbage and recycle into the same container pretty frequently.

Trash to energy maybe?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    So do you guys compost? I keep a Folgers container on my kitchen counter and toss in all the cooking scraps. When it's full, it goes on the pile in my garden. Between that and the recycling bin, my roommate and I probably only output a full trashbag every 7-10 days (if I can get the neanderthal to break down his pizza boxes)

• Options
    I don't have a lawn. I offset by being paperless! I have like 10 years worth of documents on a hard drive.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Hell in my town a recycling crew was straight up selling cardboard by the truckload to a private salvage company instead of hauling it to the municpal recycling plant.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    So do you guys compost? I keep a Folgers container on my kitchen counter and toss in all the cooking scraps. When it's full, it goes on the pile in my garden. Between that and the recycling bin, my roommate and I probably only output a full trashbag every 7-10 days (if I can get the neanderthal to break down his pizza boxes)

You're kidding. My wife and I have to take out a full garbage bag every 2-3 days on average, and it is not food waste that is filling it up. It's mostly containers from things, to be honest.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

You're kidding. My wife and I have to take out a full garbage bag every 2-3 days on average, and it is not food waste that is filling it up. It's mostly containers from things, to be honest.

When you take the plastic / paper / cardboard / glass out of your garbage, there isn't that much left. If you compost (or run stuff down a disposal), your garbage won't stink so there is no need to change the trash regularly.

Since we moved to Ann Arbor and have great single stream recycling, the three of us (me, wife, and daughter) could probably get away with one full garbage bag / week. We usually end up changing it twice / week because something like shrimp tails or bones gets thrown in there, but there just isn't that much trash that isn't recyclable. The only stuff that really goes in the garbage is stuff like kleenex / paper towels, and foam egg cartons.

In the winter sometimes we'll go a month without wheeling the garbage to the curb and still have plenty of room. Recyclables are every other week, and that gets iffy if we miss a pickup.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »

My work does the opposite. Recyclables get sorted out of the trash. Its like streamline recycling but to the next level.

You'd be amazed how difficult it is to throw bottles/cans into the trash.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Given the habits you've said you follow I'm not surprised.

• Options
    SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    PantsB wrote: »
    My work does the opposite. Recyclables get sorted out of the trash. Its like streamline recycling but to the next level.

Honestly, that sort of system has always seemed better to me except the issue of biodegradeable waste is pretty huge. And glass, since it breaks, which is part of the reason a lot of single stream municipalities won't accept it. People aren't that awesome at sorting things anyhow, so you always need people sorting things out at the recycling center, so it seems like you could get better economies of scale going by treating all trash as potential recyclables.

The glaring issue then of course is that biodegradable waste fouls fucking everything, and so that is a big problem. I sometimes wonder if a triple stream system would work divided into something like 'compostables', 'biohazards' and 'non-compostables'. So things like baby diapers, medical waste, and fouled containers would be sequestered from everything else, and then sorting of the non-compostables would occur at the landfill site. Then again there is probably a reason that hasn't been attempted.

Saammiel on
  • Options
    I was astonished at how little garbage we were throwing out after we started single stream recycling. My wife, me, 12 year old daughter, and a baby probably only throw out 1 full standard garbage bag full of waste a week, and most of that is dirty diapers at this point.

• Options
    EgretEgret Registered User regular

A full garbage bag? That still leaves another garbage bag inside your house. Maybe two, but I haven't seen posts from your wife.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Saammiel wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »

Honestly, that sort of system has always seemed better to me except the issue of biodegradeable waste is pretty huge. And glass, since it breaks, which is part of the reason a lot of single stream municipalities won't accept it. People aren't that awesome at sorting things anyhow, so you always need people sorting things out at the recycling center, so it seems like you could get better economies of scale going by treating all trash as potential recyclables.

The glaring issue then of course is that biodegradable waste fouls fucking everything, and so that is a big problem. I sometimes wonder if a triple stream system would work divided into something like 'compostables', 'biohazards' and 'non-compostables'. So things like baby diapers, medical waste, and fouled containers would be sequestered from everything else, and then sorting of the non-compostables would occur at the landfill site. Then again there is probably a reason that hasn't been attempted.

Well at a workplace (office) a lot of that is mitigated. Might not be feasible in other situations

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I was astonished at how little garbage we were throwing out after we started single stream recycling. My wife, me, 12 year old daughter, and a baby probably only throw out 1 full standard garbage bag full of waste a week, and most of that is dirty diapers at this point.

That sounds awesome. I wish we could get recycling like that. Even just separating out plastic/glass and cardboard in apartments I lived in made a huge difference in how much garbage we had to throw out.

• Options
    Well to be fair there's three recycling bins full every week to lug out to the curb. And it grinds my gears a bit that I bought a big ass wheeled trash bin for 80 some bucks that barely gets used anymore.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    My apartment has a single-stream recycling bin, but almost no one uses it (I do). As was discovered in the 80's: If you don't make recycling painfully, stupidly, easy, most people won't do it.

When I lived in a complex without it, I didn't recycle because I don't own a car, and the energy used by a bus to get me from my house to a public recycling facility would far outweigh anything saved by the act of recycling. It was just simple math. To do so anyway would have been out of pure eco-elitism, and not an actual objective, quantifiable, benefit.

Some things should obviously be recycled not because it's an energy savings, but because you don't want those things in your ground water (electronics mostly).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    My apartment has a single-stream recycling bin, but almost no one uses it (I do). As was discovered in the 80's: If you don't make recycling painfully, stupidly, easy, most people won't do it.

When I lived in a complex without it, I didn't recycle because I don't own a car, and the energy used by a bus to get me from my house to a public recycling facility would far outweigh anything saved by the act of recycling. It was just simple math. To do so anyway would have been out of pure eco-elitism, and not an actual objective, quantifiable, benefit.

Some things should obviously be recycled not because it's an energy savings, but because you don't want those things in your ground water (electronics mostly).

I lived in an apartment once where there were bins for plastic and paper/cardboard, and we were always very good about it, but some people were just animals and would throw anything in there, which was bizarre, since they could have just thrown things down the chute.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I have found that the "animal to human" ratio favors animal heavily when living in apartments, no matter how nice those apartments are. I don't live in the hood, the ghetto, whatever. My rent is not cheap, my place is decent, livable, I can bring women there and not feel ashamed.

It's still mostly inhabited by the dregs of society. I have no idea how they even get in the door, or where their rent money comes from...I don't want to know.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I have found that the "animal to human" ratio favors animal heavily when living in apartments, no matter how nice those apartments are. I don't live in the hood, the ghetto, whatever. My rent is not cheap, my place is decent, livable, I can bring women there and not feel ashamed.

It's still mostly inhabited by the dregs of society. I have no idea how they even get in the door, or where their rent money comes from...I don't want to know.

Yeah, this was a luxury, doorman building with a private driveway and giant fountain outside, the works. Didn't stop people from putting old eggs or milk in the recycling bin. . .

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    schuss wrote: »
    A few years back I tried to make myself paperless, and I've mostly succeeded. If people send you PDF's etc., it's easy enough to make a signature using a touch phone, save it as a stencil or similar and lay it on PDF docs to email back.

Can you tell me more about this?

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    Man. I just looked in the bottles and cans container in the break room when I got a cup of tea, and it was half filled with the wrappers from reams of paper. We are not very good at being green here!

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    When I lived in Chicago we had the best recycling system.

You just through everything into the dumpster. Then, some guys would drive down the alley in an old pick up and take all the large scrap steel, or anything that might be repaired and resold. And then after the truck went through, a bunch of guys with shopping carts would come and pick out all the cans.

My old weight bench, was picked up from the curb in less time than it would have taken me to drive the 5 miles to the scrap metal place. Great service, no cost. Can't be beat.

And if you're not home, they'll even recycle your A/C and copper wires!

Yeah, the pickers are an interesting bunch, but the city and most of the burbs have separate bins and trucks for recycling. Started out as separate, but most are mixed now - glass, plastic, paper all go in the same bin.

I sometimes wonder how much waste was/is being created by those "reusable" bags everyone buys now. I would be surprised if it's been a net benefit as far as environment.
    It's keeping a ton of plastic grocery bags out of landfills. Those not only don't decompose well themselves, they prevent landfills from breathing and allows other garbage to decompose better, to say nothing of all the plastic we're saving in not manufacturing those bags.

Yeah, the ideal would be if everyone re-used the old plastic bags 20-30 times before switching to re-useable but the new bags are MUCH better. For one thing they can often be made out of more degradable material (woven plastic fibers rather than sheets at worst) and that it much easier for biological systems to deal with if it is thrown away. Once you use a re-useable bag 10 times or something you are energy positive, and I think it takes only 5 times to be garbage positive.

They are also better than plastic bags for actually carrying stuff.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    BlazeFire wrote: »

Depends on your device. You'll probably need an app of some sort. There are a few for android based devices, but the ones for iOS typically need access to google drive or dropbox.

bowen on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

There's an app - I think called Signature Saver, that lets you do a sig using your finger into your touchscreen phone (can do it an other number of ways too). Take this signature and a PDF editor and use whenever you need to sign docs.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Depends on your device. You'll probably need an app of some sort. There are a few for android based devices, but the ones for iOS typically need access to google drive or dropbox.

One of our clients has had good luck with Sign-n-Send on iPads.

• Options

What are you throwing out? I guess a lot of volume goes into milk jugs and such, which would be recycled, but I have a hunch that I might just use more produce and less packaged/processed foods than you. It makes even more sense thinking about how we don't regularly consume soda or wine, which are also pretty voluminously-packaged.

The trash from last night's dinner was a tin can, and an avocado pit & some green pepper stem that went in the compost. I drank water and I believe my friend had tea, which was also composted. Had I run out of all the ingredients involved, I would also have had to dispose of the paper our cheese came in, the plastic salsa container, and the plastic tortilla package.

We're also pretty good about conserving paper towels and just washing kitchen towels instead, that sort of thing.

• Options

What are you throwing out? I guess a lot of volume goes into milk jugs and such, which would be recycled, but I have a hunch that I might just use more produce and less packaged/processed foods than you. It makes even more sense thinking about how we don't regularly consume soda or wine, which are also pretty voluminously-packaged.

The trash from last night's dinner was a tin can, and an avocado pit & some green pepper stem that went in the compost. I drank water and I believe my friend had tea, which was also composted. Had I run out of all the ingredients involved, I would also have had to dispose of the paper our cheese came in, the plastic salsa container, and the plastic tortilla package.

We're also pretty good about conserving paper towels and just washing kitchen towels instead, that sort of thing.

We almost exclusively use fresh ingredients, actually. I think its a mix of cartons from milk and juice, bottles from spring water, and boxes. We also do take out way too often, and that takes up tons of space in the garbage can.

• Options
    Ah, bottled water.

I'm on my phone but please imagine a picture of a Native American crying a single tear.

• Options
    Ah, bottled water.

I'm on my phone but please imagine a picture of a Native American crying a single tear.

Nothing makes me feel worse about not recycling than the number of bottles of water we go through a week. We probably go through at least 48 bottles a week. . .

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I would actually like to see bottled water banned.

It would vastly improve the water table in the Midwest one way or another really quickly if that happened.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Ah, bottled water.

Nothing makes me feel worse about not recycling than the number of bottles of water we go through a week. We probably go through at least 48 bottles a week. . .

why don't you use a reusable water bottle and a filter on your tap??

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I find it a little weird that your country has a water distribution network so bad, that bottled water for home consumption is a thing.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Ah, bottled water.

My wife doesn't like either, and she has a habit of not drinking enough, so I am happy to buy the bottles since they get her to drink more water (especially now that she is pregnant). Also, there are strangely high breast cancer rates in long island, and a popular theory (which I think is completely false) is that it is something in the water.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    I find it a little weird that your country has a water distribution network so bad, that bottled water for home consumption is a thing.
    It's only really a problem in a handful of areas in the Midwest, and even then only during certain times of year.

It's mostly just a conspicuous consumption thing; Coca-Cola has people convinced that their water is superior to tap water, even though there's no evidence showing that, so people pay for it.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Ah, bottled water.

My wife doesn't like either, and she has a habit of not drinking enough, so I am happy to buy the bottles since they get her to drink more water (especially now that she is pregnant). Also, there are strangely high breast cancer rates in long island, and a popular theory (which I think is completely false) is that it is something in the water.

Why won't she drink out of a reusable water bottle??? I'm still not getting it.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It's actually usually less about the quality of the water, but more as SE kind of subconscious status thing.

• Options
    Ah, bottled water.

Why won't she drink out of a reusable water bottle??? I'm still not getting it.

She would want to wash it every time it was empty, and that would be a hassle, so she'd drink less. Also, she doesn't like how big most water bottles on the market are, since she likes to keep one in her purse (that said, a water bottle recently leaked and basically ruined her wallet, so maybe a plastic bottle that had a better lid wouldn't be a bad idea. . .

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    It's actually usually less about the quality of the water, but more as SE kind of subconscious status thing.

I'll give that to you if its fiji or voss, but poland springs or dasani?