As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Do you recycle? I don't even have the option. (Also incentivizing "green" behavior)

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Ah, bottled water.

I'm on my phone but please imagine a picture of a Native American crying a single tear.

Nothing makes me feel worse about not recycling than the number of bottles of water we go through a week. We probably go through at least 48 bottles a week. . .

why don't you use a reusable water bottle and a filter on your tap??

My wife doesn't like either, and she has a habit of not drinking enough, so I am happy to buy the bottles since they get her to drink more water (especially now that she is pregnant). Also, there are strangely high breast cancer rates in long island, and a popular theory (which I think is completely false) is that it is something in the water.

Why won't she drink out of a reusable water bottle??? I'm still not getting it.

She would want to wash it every time it was empty, and that would be a hassle, so she'd drink less. Also, she doesn't like how big most water bottles on the market are, since she likes to keep one in her purse (that said, a water bottle recently leaked and basically ruined her wallet, so maybe a plastic bottle that had a better lid wouldn't be a bad idea. . .

wash it? It had water in it. You...rinse it out?

there are many water bottles that will fit in her purses. and would be less likely to spill.

I think you could save yourself some guilt and reduce your plastic bottles!

• DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    Ah, bottled water.

I'm on my phone but please imagine a picture of a Native American crying a single tear.

Nothing makes me feel worse about not recycling than the number of bottles of water we go through a week. We probably go through at least 48 bottles a week. . .

why don't you use a reusable water bottle and a filter on your tap??

My wife doesn't like either, and she has a habit of not drinking enough, so I am happy to buy the bottles since they get her to drink more water (especially now that she is pregnant). Also, there are strangely high breast cancer rates in long island, and a popular theory (which I think is completely false) is that it is something in the water.

This is so weird to me. Long Island (especially, and I'm guessing where you live here - Nassau County) has some of the best tasting tap water around. Whenever I go out of state or upstate it always tastes like dreck or loaded with sulfur, but LI aquifer to me tastes the same or better than bottled.

I can understand in light of the pregnancy though, in your situation I wouldn't begrudge Mrs. SKFM many superstitions.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    It's actually usually less about the quality of the water, but more as SE kind of subconscious status thing.

I'll give that to you if its fiji or voss, but poland springs or dasani?

Well, yeah.

Just like people will assure you that the wine from that $120 dollar bottle is so much better than the $12 bottle, even if what's inside is exactly the same, people will gravitate towards the more expensive option because it's more expensive, that must mean it's also higher quality! Even though just as often, it's the opposite that's true

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »
    It's actually usually less about the quality of the water, but more as SE kind of subconscious status thing.

I'll give that to you if its fiji or voss, but poland springs or dasani?

Buying bottled water of the latter type is effectively a tax on people who are too lazy to fill bottles from a tap.

And, on the subject of recycling, around here (san francisco) we can't even keep high end recyclables in our bins long enough for them to be picked up. People go by on trash days and take out all the bottles etc to recycle them for money before the trucks even arrive. Usually it's only cardboard and other bulk recyclables which make it on the truck.

My wife and I probably generate 1 full trash bag every 2 weeks, with a majority of that being cat litter. Everything else is either recycling (about the same volume) and compost (a little more, since more and more packaging is compostable)

I find the more cooking I do, and the better I get at it the less trash, compost etc I produce. I try to re-use recyclable material in the vegetable garden where I can. Water bottles make great root waterers for pots of vegetables, and no surface water helps control shallow rooted weeds and mold spores.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    When I lived in Chicago we had the best recycling system.

You just through everything into the dumpster. Then, some guys would drive down the alley in an old pick up and take all the large scrap steel, or anything that might be repaired and resold. And then after the truck went through, a bunch of guys with shopping carts would come and pick out all the cans.

My old weight bench, was picked up from the curb in less time than it would have taken me to drive the 5 miles to the scrap metal place. Great service, no cost. Can't be beat.

And if you're not home, they'll even recycle your A/C and copper wires!

Yeah, the pickers are an interesting bunch, but the city and most of the burbs have separate bins and trucks for recycling. Started out as separate, but most are mixed now - glass, plastic, paper all go in the same bin.

I sometimes wonder how much waste was/is being created by those "reusable" bags everyone buys now. I would be surprised if it's been a net benefit as far as environment.
    It's keeping a ton of plastic grocery bags out of landfills. Those not only don't decompose well themselves, they prevent landfills from breathing and allows other garbage to decompose better, to say nothing of all the plastic we're saving in not manufacturing those bags.

Yeah, the ideal would be if everyone re-used the old plastic bags 20-30 times before switching to re-useable but the new bags are MUCH better. For one thing they can often be made out of more degradable material (woven plastic fibers rather than sheets at worst) and that it much easier for biological systems to deal with if it is thrown away. Once you use a re-useable bag 10 times or something you are energy positive, and I think it takes only 5 times to be garbage positive.

They are also better than plastic bags for actually carrying stuff.

I try to use reusable bags for grocery shopping; keep a few in my trunk and grab them on the way in. Better for me, and if after manufacturing and distribution, it really is an energy benefit, all the better.

Plastic bags are terrible, tearing, hard to carry, etc. I like the reusable ones from Whole Foods and Trader Joe's - sturdy, good handles.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    What do people use for cat litter storage? We end up using the bags from the grocery store (even with our reusable bags we have a few plastic bags on hand from the raw meats).

And I wish recycling here wasn't such a pain in the ass. Aside from deposit on bottles and cans, we really can't do it. The damn center is only open from 9-12 on Saturdays, and I either work or have class every time. D:

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    You do realize you could start collecting recyclables to bring to a station each week, right? Also, you could talk to your neighbors and possibly start recycling as a group.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    There are a few cases where I think bottled water makes sense...like something to keep a case or two handy in case of an emergency, or if you have really shitty tasting tap water...but mostly it's just a tax on people who are too lazy to use the tap or susceptible to marketing.

If you are paranoid during pregnancy, you definitely should consider a reusable (BPA free) water bottle with a filter instead of disposable bottles. BPA is in pretty much any plastic that's not marked BPA free, and the water that sits for weeks or months in an Aquafina / Disani / etc bottle is going to be absorbing crap from the plastic. With a reusable bottle, you are probably filling it up the same day, if not the same hour.

Either way, in most cases disposable water bottles are filled with tap water. Nothing special. If you get a Britta filter for your tap or a pitcher, or have a filter on the dispenser from your fridge the water you are getting is leaps and bounds 'purer' then the water you get in a bottle. It's a bit of a moot point though, because unless you are under a boil advisory, pretty much any first world water supply is perfectly safe to drink.

Really...invest in a Britta, and a $15-20 reusable water bottle - they even make some that have a built in filter, so you can fill them anywhere. Wash them out nightly and you'll be fine. Being paranoid about bacteria growing in a water bottle over the course of a day, but then drinking water that's been sitting in a cheap plastic bottle for weeks or months just seems...asinine to me.

Not even thinking about the waste of two cases of empty bottles going straight into a landfill each week.

zagdrob on
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Actually, all of the major brands have been using BPA free bottles in their sub 3 Gallon bottles for a very long time. I also think it is false that most cases they are just tap water (Great Bear did that over a decade ago and it was a big scandal). They are mostly water from private springs or distilled water.

We have used Britta and Pur filters in the past, but my wife didn't care for either.

I have to say though that just rinsing a bottle sounds kind of gross, especially if you use it while eating.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    If you're suckling the lid like a baby's bottle, sure. If you're just pouring it into your mouth (I was shown how by my dad when we went hiking - just jut your bottom lip out like a spout) then you won't be backwashing anything gross.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    How are you using these water bottles while eating?

Actually, all of the major brands have been using BPA free bottles in their sub 3 Gallon bottles for a very long time. I also think it is false that most cases they are just tap water (Great Bear did that over a decade ago and it was a big scandal). They are mostly water from private springs or distilled water.

We have used Britta and Pur filters in the past, but my wife didn't care for either.

I have to say though that just rinsing a bottle sounds kind of gross, especially if you use it while eating.

Eh, Dasani is tap, as are anything that touts "reverse osmosis process" or similar, as they're basically saying they're filtering tap. Poland Springs is more "we're not near that many people in Maine, so we can pull as much water as we want."

As far as rinsing a bottle - It's water, and the only thing that may be going back in it is the stuff that's already in your mouth, so... errr.... how could it be dirty?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Must be nice to live in an area where the tap water is not either A) taste like you swallowed a mouthful of pool water or B) not from an area with terrible water supplies.

There's a small part of my old county where the water was pretty rancid for drinking. Great for bathing anyways, but drinking was problematic.

Yes, even for NYS with our beautiful finger lakes and water supply there is really shitty water in some of these places. So much so that parts of the county are fighting to get on the bigger city water supply. But the problem is that county has a lot of areas where well water is amazing and people don't want to pay the extra $50 a month for city water. Seriously, amazing well water. But in order for the county to want to do it, it's either everyone or no one. I have no idea why.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

You said you felt bad about your huge plastic bottle waste. Is it enough to change? All I'm hearing are more excuses to keep doing what you're doing..

So It Goes on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    It's almost as if that was SKFM's journey through every thread...

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Bottles are one of those things you can slap in a giant bag and take it to a recycling center when it's full.

That's what most of us do in upstate. Take it to a local grocery store with bottle & can return. I find it weird the largest areas in NYS wouldn't have something similar for SKFM.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Bottles are one of those things you can slap in a giant bag and take it to a recycling center when it's full.

That's what most of us do in upstate. Take it to a local grocery store with bottle & can return. I find it weird the largest areas in NYS wouldn't have something similar for SKFM.

I just want curb side collection. We do 90% of our grocery shopping at a small local place that doesn't do bottle collection. The big box stores near us do it, but I'm not comfortable going into the small spaces where they set them up, along with the presumably homeless people who push the shopping carts of bottles to the store.

That's pretty irrational. I've never seen a homeless person there, they tend to go to the physical counters anyways. Gets them an extra quarter or so.

You're more strung out worried about getting mugged than I am.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I there's one thing you need to worry about with someone who works all day to eek out a living is that they'll attack you.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    You're afraid of having to be in close proximity to some homeless person at Target while you're doing your bottle recycling?

And I thought I knew the definition of sheltered.

I just want curb side collection. We do 90% of our grocery shopping at a small local place that doesn't do bottle collection. The big box stores near us do it, but I'm not comfortable going into the small spaces where they set them up, along with the presumably homeless people who push the shopping carts of bottles to the store.

o_O

I don't care how paranoid you are...if there is one time you don't need to worry about homeless people, it's in the back of a store where they are cashing in bottles and haven't redeemed the slips yet.

I don't know why I'm surprised. It seems like every thread ends up being 'SKFM talks about doing lazy / inconsiderate things, makes excuses for it'.

• N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I collect paper and plastic recycling both at home and in my classroom. Our waste company doesn't offer curbside pickup since we're outside of the city limits, though. There is a company that does, but that's a fee on top of monthly trash pickup. There is a recycling drop-off once a month downtown, and I truck my bags of recycling down there every time. It's important to me considering the vast amounts of plastic bottles and paper (I'm a teacher) that I accumulate, not only on a personal level, but as an example to my students--I want them to know some things are worth the effort, and I want them to think twice before just chucking things in the trash.

Seriously. You could get curbside pickup if you clued in one dude with a broken-down truck what day you'd be putting them out. Our recyclables got downright plundered in SF.

In terms of actual solutions for your preferences: do you have a contract with the waste management co? Does the town? Agitate there. Idle bitching won't do anything, but most places are amenable to curbside recycling, especially if it's a suburban community with stay-at-home people, as a lot of people care about that stuff.

Yup this is the perfect time to be a squeaky wheel, if people want it, they'll provide it.

schuss wrote: »
    Seriously. You could get curbside pickup if you clued in one dude with a broken-down truck what day you'd be putting them out. Our recyclables got downright plundered in SF.

In terms of actual solutions for your preferences: do you have a contract with the waste management co? Does the town? Agitate there. Idle bitching won't do anything, but most places are amenable to curbside recycling, especially if it's a suburban community with stay-at-home people, as a lot of people care about that stuff.

I live in a gated community which contracts for private trash pick up. The community board recently voted not to add recycling. The township does curb side, but not on private roads, and it does not operate drop off sites, believe it or not.

Rich people.

Do you have any friends in town? Drop the recycling off there.

edited February 2013
    Rich people.

Are you sure they aren't just middle class? I'm sure only a few have their own private planes and live-in staff. So, definitely a middle class neighborhood.

zagdrob on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    SKFM, you are just so fascinatingly irritating to have around. Please don't let us drive you away.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

This is hilarious to me. 'I'm not comfortable dealing with the various problems that people like myself have created in the United States, so I hide behind my moat & drawbridge while posting on the Internet about how being selfish really will create the best society!'

Your behavior is very pathetic, and you sure do like to drag your wife & kids into threads to hide behind whenever you get called out.

With Love and Courage
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Rich people.

Are you sure they aren't just middle class? I'm sure only a few have their own private planes and live-in staff. So, definitely a middle class neighborhood.

It's really not like that. It's just a community that happens to have a gate. I'm pretty sure noone owns a plane and very few people have second homes or boats. It's really no different than the surrounding areas which don't have gates, but they get curbside recycling. We have better snow removal and nicer roads though.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Seriously SKFM, sack up and carry your empty bottles into a store that does recycle. I mentioned Target previously because I know they will take plastic bottles that don't have deposits, such as water bottles, for recycling.

I'm sure the gate is immaterial to you too, right? Like, you could would totally move out into that... 'public' space anytime. It's just, y'know. Those homeless people.

Recycling is easy. This is not a problem with public services, or a lack of action on the part of either the state or society to make recycling accessible. It's a personal choice made by you, for irrational & paranoid reasons, that has limited your ability to recycle.

With Love and Courage
    edited February 2013
    Rich people.

It's really not like that. It's just a community that happens to have a gate. I'm pretty sure noone owns a plane and very few people have second homes or boats. It's really no different than the surrounding areas which don't have gates, but they get curbside recycling. We have better snow removal and nicer roads though.

Dude, you live in a fucking gated community in one of the most expensive markets in the country. Just because it's not a 30,000 square foot mansion in the Hamptons doesn't mean your community isn't a bunch of rich assholes...rich assholes who won't pay an extra what? $15 / month per household to have their recyclables picked up?

You won't return bottles to a store because <gasp> you might need to be near people who could possibly be homeless.

As much as I love reading things you contribute and consider you one of the 'good ones', sometimes I just shake my head and think that if you are even an average example of your community / peer group...man, that's just fucked. The most simple and basic things that you won't do, and the weak ass excuses you make for not doing them...I don't even know sometimes.

EDIT - And I'm done with today's standard 'pile on SKFM for being clueless' thread derailment. My apologies to anyone I may have offended who has legitimate reasons - like distance or availability - for not recycling.

zagdrob on
    EDIT - And I'm done with today's standard 'pile on SKFM for being clueless' thread derailment. My apologies to anyone I may have offended who has legitimate reasons - like distance or availability - for not recycling.

The thing is, he's not clueless. He's a well educated solicitor.

He knows better, but chooses to do the lazy or reprehensible thing every time. Why? 'Well, because the wife.'

With Love and Courage
  • Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    There are a few cases where I think bottled water makes sense...like something to keep a case or two handy in case of an emergency, or if you have really shitty tasting tap water...but mostly it's just a tax on people who are too lazy to use the tap or susceptible to marketing.

If you are paranoid during pregnancy, you definitely should consider a reusable (BPA free) water bottle with a filter instead of disposable bottles. BPA is in pretty much any plastic that's not marked BPA free, and the water that sits for weeks or months in an Aquafina / Disani / etc bottle is going to be absorbing crap from the plastic. With a reusable bottle, you are probably filling it up the same day, if not the same hour.

Either way, in most cases disposable water bottles are filled with tap water. Nothing special. If you get a Britta filter for your tap or a pitcher, or have a filter on the dispenser from your fridge the water you are getting is leaps and bounds 'purer' then the water you get in a bottle. It's a bit of a moot point though, because unless you are under a boil advisory, pretty much any first world water supply is perfectly safe to drink.

Really...invest in a Britta, and a $15-20 reusable water bottle - they even make some that have a built in filter, so you can fill them anywhere. Wash them out nightly and you'll be fine. Being paranoid about bacteria growing in a water bottle over the course of a day, but then drinking water that's been sitting in a cheap plastic bottle for weeks or months just seems...asinine to me.

Not even thinking about the waste of two cases of empty bottles going straight into a landfill each week.

I will never understand all the BPA hate. It was never really proven to do anything, and pretty much anything you buy canned still comes lined in polycarbonate, or whatever the plastic is that uses BPA as the monomer. That being said, nothing wrong with good old PET bottles.

As for the bacteria thing, I think it is a valid concern, although not on a daily basis. Bottles that have been bottled in a factory are probably very clean, and will thus be bacteria free forever pretty much, until they are opened. Once you start putting your mouth on the lid and swishing water into your face and then back into the bottle, that's when bacteria becomes a concern. I seem to remember there being a news story about people getting sick because they were reusing store bought water bottles, and not cleaning them every so often. I'm not 100% sure though, so I might see if I can dig up some actual facts on this.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
    Bacteria aren't magical organisms that can somehow survive inside of a plastic bottle with nothing to eat and then disease you later. No doubt there have been edge cases in the past where someone spit some food or whatever back into the bottle, let it sit for a few days and then drank some nasty microbes. Regularly using a water bottle over and over will not somehow populate it with magical mouth plague bacteria.

With Love and Courage
    edited February 2013
    Jebus314 wrote: »

I will never understand all the BPA hate. It was never really proven to do anything, and pretty much anything you buy canned still comes lined in polycarbonate, or whatever the plastic is that uses BPA as the monomer. That being said, nothing wrong with good old PET bottles.

As for the bacteria thing, I think it is a valid concern, although not on a daily basis. Bottles that have been bottled in a factory are probably very clean, and will thus be bacteria free forever pretty much, until they are opened. Once you start putting your mouth on the lid and swishing water into your face and then back into the bottle, that's when bacteria becomes a concern. I seem to remember there being a news story about people getting sick because they were reusing store bought water bottles, and not cleaning them every so often. I'm not 100% sure though, so I might see if I can dig up some actual facts on this.

The FDA issued a warning that BPA can have an effect on fetuses, infants, and young children and it's banned in baby bottles. I'm skeptical that it really matters, but I sure as hell wouldn't want my pregnant wife / baby take the chances considering it takes very little effort to avoid. I'd definitely worry about that before I worried about the bacteria that can grow in a bottle of filtered water within a day or two.

With bacteria, as long as you are rinsing the bottle out every time you fill it, and washing it every day or two, I wouldn't worry at all. I wouldn't drink water that was sitting in a bottle for two weeks on a desk, or go months without washing out the bottle, but nothing is going to grow in a day or two that's going to make you sick.

EDIT - Unless you are filling the bottle from mud puddles, the bacteria in a regularly washed bottle will mostly be the same stuff that's growing in your mouth.

zagdrob on
    To be fair, I used to not recycle because it was practically impossible unless I got there immediately after the trucks took it because my complex had 3 tiny green trashcans for plastic and cans. For 400 some odd people.

Fuck that noise. I'll straight up admit that I threw away a lot of stuff I shouldn't have because of the inconvenience of shitty landlords. I also threw away bottles because my store didn't have a bottle return, and it was like 30+ minutes to the closest bottle return (or the dump).

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    In your situation I would literally just post online that I have a bunch of bottles and cans on the curb for free and then bring all my paper and cardboard to some school's recycling bins.

Which the latter even my racist government hating dad did since it helped the local schools.