As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WAR] Deader than the Tomb Kings.

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    Running up to a wizard with my Witch Elf and putting those barbs on him and then watching him kill himself as he moved around in a panic was great fun

Just wasn't worth a monthly fee

t5qfc9.jpg
  • mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    I miss Warhammer. So does my wife. Honestly, they just hung themselves, and it's a damned shame. The forumers told them exactly what was wrong with the game and they just ignored them, for *years* until no-one who cared was left. It really was an amazing game at it's peak, before EA gutted the whole thing and all the passionate folks were told to piss off. And it sucks too, because I really, really love the IP.

(Spills some crystal light on desk in memory)

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    My main was a Squid Herder, back in the day, a class well known as the weak sister of PVP, when everyone else was a Fire Mage. Let's just say that I used to die A LOT.

Fairchild on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Oh man. I miss my Disciple at times. Then everyone figured the best way to heal with them was not to jump out and kill things but to equip a chalice and stand in the back. . .

Then I rolled a chosen who i also loved.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited January 2013
    I dug up my old photobucket account so I'm going to post some old screenshots from the launch of the game just for the hell of it;

EXPLOSION POSE
    335fg9e.jpg

The Thing, warhammer style
    1o0qpe.jpg

My White Lion character and his silly hat
    s5hgsp.jpg

Dark elf sorceress under a night sky somewhere
    35mp6w5.jpg

Frozen bloodthirster. The game was really ugly but it did manage to set the mood just right in a few places
    149nog5.jpg

A massive PVP raid going underground through some tunnels
    2ibe2b7.jpg

A chaos bro, doing whatever it is chaos bros do
    33kx7ib.jpg

And my favourite character, my crazy eyed chaos healer. Loved tossing elixirs at people to heal them and the fact that you could ressurect people IN COMBAT meant I was basically a necromancer during PvP play, raising my fallen teammates constantly so they could get back to the meatgrinder. Best healing class and unintentional necromancer class in any MMO I've played.
    xnd7r6.jpg

Also this is why I will probably never play the game again:
    WAR 30-Day Subscription 15,99 $
    Tax: 3,20 $
    Total: 19,19 $

Also I just went to their forums for no good reason at all and there's this thread asking where the developers are. Apparently there are 1-2 developers still dealing with the game and they had traveled to London that week so there was simply no one there to deal with the game. They also fired the community managed and never replaced him with a proper one. The forums are just run by some random moderator

They really have some balls still asking people to pay a monthly fee for a game like this

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    i really enjoyed this game, the tanks really felt like tanks. like always though, i'm drawn to playing the least played class, so i was a magus, which is fine for many organized groups, but i didn't run with them. i should have stuck with my shaman or marauder. or, better yet, black ork. the class was a bit wonky, but i liked orks the best, and black ork best of them.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Had two main characters over the course of me playing this game. The first was a Marauder named Lorntarf and I played him with a buddy and eventually joined a good guild and made quite a few friends. Took a break and came back to find that guild broken up, the friend not really playing anymore so I decided to make a character of the opposite faction on another server. An Iron Dwarf named Mortarth, think I played him for a bit longer than I did the Marauder but my memory is fuzzy.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Zzulu wrote: »
    They really have some balls still asking people to pay a monthly fee for a game like this
    I think they don't go free-to-play because the game cannot handle it. One or two years ago, this game would have been really packed with players had they gone free. However, even with subs, the game had serious fucking performance issues with big raids and the servers tended to choke and die as well.

This is why they went with Wrath of Heroes, and that game is fucking awful. How awful? It's never going to leave "Open Beta," which the game has been in for nearly TWO YEARS now. But hey, you can still buy shit.

YL9WnCY.png
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    I still miss my black orc. Did almost no damage but it took a fuck ton of people to take me down. There were times when id end up tanking a small groups while the rest of my team ran back from the warcamp. Damn those were the days.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Definitely had some good times in the early days of WAR.

ir02gr1.th.jpg

war12ch3.th.jpg

war04jd7.th.jpg

ir05bj8.th.jpg

oobermuir01.th.jpg

ir04yn7.th.jpg

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Then there's the problem it's having right now. One person multiboxing 5-8 characters at once is wiping out the entire other faction, of 1-2 warbands of people before they can even do anything in retaliation. I'm still playing this actively, I technically have control of the Candymancers. Although I turned it into my own bank. I'll likely play this game untill I die or it does. The only people I interact with outside of work are ingame. =|

akirasig.jpg
    Then there's the problem it's having right now. One person multiboxing 5-8 characters at once is wiping out the entire other faction, of 1-2 warbands of people before they can even do anything in retaliation. I'm still playing this actively, I technically have control of the Candymancers. Although I turned it into my own bank. I'll likely play this game untill I die or it does. The only people I interact with outside of work are ingame. =|

that's pretty nuts that a multi-box setup can do that.

• SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    Then there's the problem it's having right now. One person multiboxing 5-8 characters at once is wiping out the entire other faction, of 1-2 warbands of people before they can even do anything in retaliation.

If I were to guess the multibox class makeup, it's a bunch of bright wizards/ Sorcerers' with maybe a healer or 2 thrown in.

• eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    This game was fun for quite a while, even when the content was growing stale, and I attribute that to the Candymancers and the people in it. Its a shame it didn't get the post launch support it needed to turn the game in to the success it could have been. The base gameplay was fun, and even in PvP tanks actually felt like tanks. What a waste of potential, which is probably said about a lot of MMOs. Seems to be a trend of doing two things wrong for every one thing they get spot on.

(She/Her)
  • bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Feldorn wrote: »

that's pretty nuts that a multi-box setup can do that.

Yeah, even thought the multiboxer crossrealmed and farmed his own characters, never has collision, and stacks aoe damage still, he's allowed. The opposing faction has all but given up, especially when he is on. It is impossible to do anything again him for long.

akirasig.jpg
    I will say that yes, they did Tanks right in PvP in WAR. The "taunt an enemy player and debuff his damage until he damages you 3x" was a great mechanic for tanks. It forced enemies to focus on you or they'd just not deal a ton of damage.

Also being able to guard other players on your team and mitigate their damage while pumping out numerous CC and debuffs to all the bad guys around you.

t5qfc9.jpg
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Actual collision was the best.

A line of tanks blocking the ramp up to the top of a tower made for some awesome defensive wins.

Zzulu wrote: »
    I will say that yes, they did Tanks right in PvP in WAR. The "taunt an enemy player and debuff his damage until he damages you 3x" was a great mechanic for tanks. It forced enemies to focus on you or they'd just not deal a ton of damage.

Also being able to guard other players on your team and mitigate their damage while pumping out numerous CC and debuffs to all the bad guys around you.
    The big thing about tanks was Guard. It was a permanent buff given to a friendly player that transferred a percentage of all damage they took to you so long as they stayed within range. In scenarios, a good tank could stymie even a bursty class like Witch Elves/Hunters with Guard and a taunt. Tanks also had a lot of crowd control such as a very easy-to-use snare and knockback. It really was one of the more exciting parts of the role, but they were absolutely shit at class balance.

YL9WnCY.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Nothing was better than punting someone off of a cliff.

I want more MMOs that let me punt things off of cliffs.(Instead of some dumb invisible wall stopping it)

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    The day they put an invisible wall round logrins forge so my blackguard could no longer punt warrior priests into the lava was the day I cancelled my sub

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Warhammer to this day, remains the only MMO to satisfy my art design itch.

The progression seemed weak at first, but hot damn by the mid 30's you were a certified badass looking motherfucker.

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    This thread just makes me feel sad. :(

• NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Yeah another cool thing they did, albeit really buggily, was the trophy system. I loved pinning the tiny head of some critter on my shoulder or hanging an ale mug on my belt

That way you'd get some variation between players even if they were wearing the same exact armor. I hope future MMO's expand on this idea

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    I miss my witch hunter, he was honestly the coolest looking character in all my MMO playing I ever achieved.
    Who doesn't like pistol whipping dudes with a flintlock and then sword fighting with a rapier.

Missing it now as well...

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • manjimanji Registered User regular
    if WAR went F2P I'd sign back up in a heartbeat. i have an itch for battleground PVP and WoW and WAR are the only MMOs i've played which have made a good fist of it. since quitting WAR i've played Aion, STO, SW:TOR, AoC, GW2 and TSW and have found them all lacking in that department.

not that WAR didn't make me howl with frustration with its unkillable warrior priests, its bomb squads and its slide show fortress and city sieges. plus the launch was a clusterfuck, by the time the game had been patched to playability everyone i knew had long since quit, leaving me killing randoms for several months. i am however a sucker for the IP and the design aesthetic.

normally i prefer playing a healer, but in WAR the tanks had such a good mix of skills (guards, taunts, heal cuts, armour cuts, stacks of cc as well as hold the line for shield wall goodness) that playing an effective bodyguard for key team members, mitigating damage to your whole team or tying up enemy healers for a full match were all distinct possibilities.

my blackguard, banana yellow colour scheme compelling players to attack me more effectively than any in game taunt:

_000.jpg

my witch hunter. leaping from the shadows to burn heretics, then shooting them in the back with a flintlock as they flee the last word in satisfaction:

a6b1758b-77f9-4125-9f03-34d7b061a3e4_zps5b04388f.jpg

my zealot. bag of cats just out of shot:

Makie_002.jpg

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I would play it too. It's really a shame they decided to make a shitty side game rather than make AoR F2P. Really stupid too.

with the current MMO forecast, i don't really think that F2P would have saved WAR. it would probably have required more developement investment that it would create in return.

edited February 2013
    I think a lot of players would have stuck around to play the scenarios and RvR if it was free to do so. It was pretty much the only modern western fantasy MMO where you could even have Realm vs Realm combat like that until GW2 came out several years later. They could have had their niché playerbase if they had supported the game properly at all

Instead the developers left the game with barely a skeleton crew and started work on a terrible sideshow game no one plays either. It's just a long string of bad decisions

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I know I had a issue last time I played it where I couldn't actually do any *damage* to enemy players when I PvP'd. Assuming I fell massively behind the gear curve. Wonder if it'd work better if they flattened the gear progression post-40 and then made higher tier gear cosmetic-only?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    They had a weird pseudo-expansion for 10 bucks that increased your RvR cap to 100 or something crazy, complete with new gear sets. Oh, but no LEVEL CAP increase nor new tier, so if you don't buy the pack then hahahaha go die.

YL9WnCY.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I really liked this game. Only MMO where my character always looked like a bad-ass, regardless of what equipment I had on him.

Of course, you may or may recall that I spent the first eight or so levels running around entirely in my underwear unless we were doing dedicated PvP...

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    And the beautiful thing was, there were achievements for that. And of course the titles to go with it. Loved running around with the Lady Godiva title on my very male Chosen.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I think the title I wore the most was "The Streaker" or "The Peeper". I don't remember, there were more I had. I had almost all of them, except the one that required falling into lava and dying while naked like 1000 times.

Also my Chosen got a lot of whispers of approval about his name. Thelonious Monkslayer. Which is totally my go-to name for my tanks in MMOs, should I ever play MMOs again.

DarkPrimus on
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    I think the best name I saw while I was playing was a Squig herder named Squigga Please. I also got a few chuckles from my Chosen's name, Twist'n Shout.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Because I was behind the lines I had this title on my shadow hunter
    GalelysF_003.jpg

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Huh, and there goes WoH.
    On March 29th, 2013 Mythic Entertainment will be shutting down all online services associated with
    Play 4 Free Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes (WOH)
    Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes (WOH)

The last day of operation for WOH will be March 29th, 2013. The servers will be brought down at 5:00 PM, EST, after this point in time WOH will no longer be available to play. Effective immediately, we have ended Gem sales in the store.

We have slashed store prices to allow players to acquire as many new items as possible before the shutdown date. And, during the time leading up to March 29th, 2013, we will be introducing new Heroes and events leading up to the game's final moments.

Player Appreciation Tribute:

In addition to new content in WOH, as a thank you for your support, we've created some free promotions within Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning.

NOTE: This tribute is non-transferrable and is restricted to the email address this message was sent to.

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Join the Forces of Destruction or the Forces of Order to determine the fate of the world, be it damnation or salvation, and explore deeper gameplay with character customization and crafting. Enjoy familiar arena combat with over 20 different scenarios or ride into battle atop a trusty warhorse and siege the enemy Keeps and Fortresses.

The Warhammer Appreciate Tribute will unlock the items listed below. In order to redeem this tribute please enter the following code (*SNIPPED*) at Mythic Accounts Center and enter WAR, open the main menu on the character you want to receive these items and choose account entitlements. This offer expires on May 31, 2013 at 12:01 AM, EST.

1 Month of free game-time
    1 Character Rank 30 / Renown Rank 40 character of their choice
    1 Armor Case, containing a full set of standard armor for the player's Tier
    1 Epic Mount of their choice
    2500 War Crests
    10 XP/RP Boost Potions
    10 HP/AP Regen Potions
    1 Baker's Mistake, a pie to throw at other players

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited February 2013
    1 Baker's Mistake, a pie to throw at no one because nobody is playing WAR either.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Heh, I thought the same.

A pity, so much went from with this game when people were hungry and rabid for something new.....or were they.

At times I wonder if they would ever be satisfied with anything but WoW despite their claims since that's where the people were.

• CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Cade wrote: »
    Heh, I thought the same.

A pity, so much went from with this game when people were hungry and rabid for something new.....or were they.

At times I wonder if they would ever be satisfied with anything but WoW despite their claims since that's where the people were.

People who want what WoW once had are still waiting. Some have EvE, some brave small scale sandboxes like Wurm Online and the like, some are forced to hop from one WoW clone and missed opportunity to another and hope to god something like Star Citizen delivers on a truly immersive, player driven experience. Some people have just given up on the genre altogether, and not without reason.

People who want what WoW is now have WoW and a bunch of other one month/three month high quality snacks they can eat and then throw away and wonder later why those games didn't succeed with a month/three months worth of content. They will continue to decry the rise of PvP driven games like Camelot Unleashed and pine for more games they can play for a while and then throw away.

People are always eager for something new, it's just that they are not always the people that will be there to support you as a developer during the hard times, or even a large number of people. But you don't really need to get the highest common denominator like WoW if you plan accordingly and leverage Kickstarter and social media in your favour, within reason. You don't need SWTOR levels of money to make a game with a hell of a lot more staying power then SWTOR.

488W936.png
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    There is a fairly large group of people that loved WAR for what it was after they did a MAGNIFICENT job cleaning up the mess they had at launch(i.e. actually finishing the game).

However, the game is NOWHERE NEAR worth paying a sub anymore, and every announcement that is not "WAR is going F2P" infuriates me.