As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• superhappypandasuperhappypanda Zug Island Sport Fishing SeattleRegistered User regular
    This Blackfire Pass stuff might be enough to finally push me to picking up that night goblin army I always wanted.

• KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Oh my god that first shaman.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    So it seems every rumour guys was wrong, even harry and hastings! February is WoC month, not DoC month.

edit - pics were taken down, probably at the reques of GW legal.

-Loki- on
  • superhappypandasuperhappypanda Zug Island Sport Fishing SeattleRegistered User regular
    Hm. Not any kits there I "don't" like. Not a huge fan of the Khorne version of the beast but the Slaaneshi one makes up for it. Still, not a big WoC player so I'll be passing on them for now.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Dude, that's a Tzeench beast.

I'm a huge fan of the Dragon Ogres though, but one pose should have had all 4 legs on the ground.

I wonder if it's just Khorne and Tzeentch then, or if there's conversions for Nurgle and Slaanesh too or if we'll see another for the latter.

edited January 2013
    Something interesting I saw on another board - those would work great as Mauler and Forgefeinds in 40k. Certainly look better.

edit - Well fuck. I finally got around to ordering a couple of female vampires from CMON, and the one I've been after for ages was out of stock. Oh well, they had a replacement I'm happy with.

-Loki- on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Those beasts at the top look AMAZING

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    The tzeentch sorcerer guy looks pretty good too, especially the way his arm mutated into a homunculus with its own arms that's holding his staff and whispering in his ear.
    In fact the whole lot looks pretty amazing, with the possible exception of the single-beast chariot; I hope that's not meant to be a juggernaut but rather some new thing. But all so much better than the chaos marine stuff that it's scary.
    Basically, GW has always been better at Warhammer Chaos than 40k Chaos.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Probably because Warhammer Chaos isn't just "Space Marines with spikes." They get to really set their own vision and artistic design, since nothing else in the Fantasy world shares their aesthetic.

That and there's no sense that joe random warrior is (or is supposed to be) all bitter and twisted because he was on the losing side last time and is presently mostly looking for petty revenge rather than being on a (un)holy crusade. The closest you get is Archaeon and he's the worst thing to happen to Warhammer since Nagash got rules…

• mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    I wanted to have a secondary Fantasy army with minimum model count so I started Ogres. I picked up some pirate ogres to be my command staff because I like having alternate models. Plus the GW character models are $$$ as F.

Slaughtermaster

IMAG2244.jpg

Bruiser BSB

IMAG2239.jpg

Butcher

IMAG2242.jpg

E26cO.jpg
    Nice models, but those feet... It's like they sculpted these awesome pirate Ogres, then before sending them off to be cast, realised they forgot to sculpt feet, so threw a blob of green stuff on there the pressed some lines in for toes.

Either that or they were sculpted by Rob Leifield and he realised he couldn't get away with hiding them on a miniature.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    I'd like to se these next to the real Ogre's.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• SkulloSkullo Registered User regular
    Love the pirate ogres. Every time I see those I think about a conversion to have a Gnoblar as a peg leg.

So, I finally got the new WoC book, and I think I really like it? I just got back into Fantasy a few months ago, and enough things have changed just slightly enough in the new army book to be throwing me off, but in a good way. I like having to really think about lists again.

Also, thought I might ask here: Would anyone happen to have a spare sorcerer face plate from the Lord on the Manticore kit? I can't seem to find the bit online (almost always sold out), and the one seller I did get it from sent me everything BUT that piece.

New WoC book is pretty cool. Yeah, marauders are no longer super-cheap for no good reason but then I do so enjoy the wailing and gnashing of teeth of the WAACers complaining that their favourite broken unit isn't any more. Maybe we'll see Warriors of Chaos armies with (*fanfare*) Chaos Warriors now?

Eye of the Gods is now awesomer, with no "dead" results, even at the risk of spawndom, mostly because unit champions can turn into daemon princes by killing enemy unit champs in challenges.
    And Daemon Princes are worth taking, being cheaper even with Fly and actually having a better base profile than a Lord.

edited February 2013
    Yeah, I'm really happy about that. I grabbed a Be'Lakor model when I first got into the army, but quickly stopped using it (especially after we switched to 8th's percentages). I'm looking forward to changing into one mid battle.

I don't own any marauders so the change to them doesn't bother me. My favorite change is to Trolls and Ogres - I bought some Ogres, but started worrying that Trolls were the better choice. Now with Ogre Charge and slightly cheaper points, and trolls losing mutant regen, I think I'm safe with my Ogres. The loss of Chaos Armor is sad though.

Skullo on
    Talking of trolls, my Throgg arrived and it is pretty much perfect. I kinda want to re-sculpt the cloak to get it a bit more billowy (some hot water should do that) but that's not a problem exactly. Otherwise, a pretty much flawless cast, especially compared to the metal be'lakor and hellcannon I was trying to assemble yesterday.

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    A troll hero is such a great idea. I want a Throgg!

Fuck off and die.
    edited February 2013
    I've been doing math in my head all day while I'm at work, and here is what I've come up with for a new WoC book.
    I used to run lists that were a little light on magic, mostly full of unmarked warriors, and a hard to crack (but not a super killy) Chaos Lord.

With this new book, I want to get back into using Sorcerer Lords, and field the Manticore my brother got me for Christmas. Overall, most of the units I liked fielding (besides characters) got point drops, but now the urge to Mark everything makes things not as cheap as they seem at first. I'm having a hard time looking at my lists and deciding if it they're any good.

I only went through the new book once last night, so if I'm messing something up I apologize!
    Sorcerer Lord
    +Mark of Tzeentch
    +Sword of Change
    +Talisman of Endurance (4++ w/ Mark. Save 15 points for ToP, and EotG can give me a +1 potentially and hit max Ward)
    +Soul Eater or Third Eye of Tzeentch (Can't decide, mostly because I can't remember Soul Eater's exact wording right now)
    + 25 points for either Arcane Familiar or Iron Skin on the Manticore (A 4+ isn't going to help against Dwarf shooting, but in CC it helps, so I'm conflicted)
    + Manticore

Exalted Hero
    +Battle Standard Bearer
    +War Banner
    +Extra Hand Weapon
    +Shield

Sorcerer
    +Level 2
    +Talisman of Protection

Core
    15 Warriors
    +MoT
    +Shields

15 Warriors
    +MoT
    +Shields

Special
    4 Ogres
    +MoT
    +Great Weapons

4 Ogres
    +MoT
    +Great Weapons

Rare
    Hellcannon

1999 Points

I exclusively play against Dwarfs (my brother is the only fantasy player I know), so I'm worried that only fielding two units of Warriors means they're going to be wrecked by Organ Guns. Then again, now that I'm marking them, they'll have a Ward, so that's something at least.

I'm also thinking about combining the Ogres into 1 unit of 6, and maybe stealing points from somewhere else to get a Warshrine in there.

Skullo on
    edited February 2013
    Have you noticed how awesome daemonic steeds are for sorcerers now? 35pts for +1 T and W, not to mention the mount's own attacks…
    And a thing I noticed; looks like daemons of Tzeentch can re-roll ones from the Skull of Katam where mortals can't. Pity you can't have both the skull and a familiar though…

Edit: list; yeah, the ogres won't survive as two units of four and would be better as a unit of eight so you can arrive at combat with a rank. And if you really want a Warshrine, I'd consider taking it as a mount for the sorcerer.

Mr_Rose on
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    but then I do so enjoy the wailing and gnashing of teeth of the WAACers complaining that their favourite broken unit isn't any more.

There's going to be more gnashing of teeth when Daemons, Lizardmen and Skaven get their turn. 8th edition seems to be the 'great leveller' of the power curve. While there's some obvious issues with Tomb Kings being weaker and Ogres being the strongest of the 8th edition book, it's not overly noticable. It seems with 8th edition Fantasy (and going by 6th edition 40k's releases so far) they're really taking pains to reign in the ridiculous armies and level the playing field.

I can't wait for the Skaven book for this reason.

• skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    My poor sad Tomb Kings. :(

why are you smelling it?
    I can't believe its been that long since the Skaven have gotten a new book. but it has been roughly 3 years...wow.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    but then I do so enjoy the wailing and gnashing of teeth of the WAACers complaining that their favourite broken unit isn't any more.

There's going to be more gnashing of teeth when Daemons, Lizardmen and Skaven get their turn. 8th edition seems to be the 'great leveller' of the power curve. While there's some obvious issues with Tomb Kings being weaker and Ogres being the strongest of the 8th edition book, it's not overly noticable. It seems with 8th edition Fantasy (and going by 6th edition 40k's releases so far) they're really taking pains to reign in the ridiculous armies and level the playing field.

Getting 9th ed first by the sound of things - that's rumoured for next year isn't it?

Fixing steadfast should help a lot of issues I think.

And magic resistance. 45pts is too much to pay for a conditional 4+ ward wen you can get a flat 4+ for the same price.

skarsol wrote: »
    My poor sad Tomb Kings. :(

They're not that bad off outside of playing against the powerhouse 7th edition books. Against 8th edition books, they just have a few stinker units.

Tastyfish wrote: »

Getting 9th ed first by the sound of things - that's rumoured for next year isn't it?

I haven't seen any rumours about a new edition, but mid-2014 lines up with the usual release date for the next rulebook. I'm hoping it's more of a band aid update - fix things like steadfast and the number 6 spells in the rulebook lores, and generally just try to improve 8th edition.

this every 5 year New edition of the rules thing is rough on the ole wallet.

Unfortunately, due to shareholder expectations, they can't really do the sensible thing and have a living ruleset. They basically need to release a new edition every 5 years, and also make sure it's different enough to get people to buy it.

I haven't seen any rumours about a new edition, but mid-2014 lines up with the usual release date for the next rulebook. I'm hoping it's more of a band aid update - fix things like steadfast and the number 6 spells in the rulebook lores, and generally just try to improve 8th edition.

Honestly not a fan of 8th, think they went too far in making sure everyone got to fight and that the rout was part and parcel of the game. End of steadfast, greater impact of psychology (fear and panic) and fewer opportunities to use rerolled LD9 & 10 are what I'm after. Not going to get it though, but the game definitely needs an update.

I like the charge, magic and monster rules, as well as the horde mechanic replacing lapping round but I think they went too far in trying to keep units alive and fighting. Feels like playing half a 7th ed game in a way.

Honestly not a fan of 8th, think they went too far in making sure everyone got to fight and that the rout was part and parcel of the game. End of steadfast, greater impact of psychology (fear and panic) and fewer opportunities to use rerolled LD9 & 10 are what I'm after. Not going to get it though, but the game definitely needs an update.

I like the charge, magic and monster rules, as well as the horde mechanic replacing lapping round but I think they went too far in trying to keep units alive and fighting. Feels like playing half a 7th ed game in a way.

Which, like I said, is a band aid update. Keep 8th roughly the same, just fix the bits that aren't working well, like Steadfast.

edited February 2013
    I agree to a certain extent, in that I like most of new rules but not the philosophy behind them. Just a bit disillusioned that WFRP and WFB moved away from the style I liked.
    Hope it works out though, been waiting something like 15 years to buy some plastic dark riders, be nice if there was a reason to. Too young to write off 20% of my life just like that.

Tastyfish on
    How about:
    • Large targets always count as having a complete rank. Shoud there ever somehow be a unit of Large Targets, they hit Horde width at three models wide.
    • In addition to the panic check on beng charged, terror causers force a terror check, taken after fear checks, which negates one enemy rank if failed.
    • Hold Your Ground still allows a re-roll but only on the unit's own Ld, ignoring inspiring presence etc.
    • Magic Resistance in the target unit(s) is subtracted from the caster's roll (not optional, applies to friendly spells too) and provides a save the same way it does now against Vortexes, which stop 1" away if the save is passed.

The way I see it is that small units of weedy gits are too good at holding up big gribblies, not that epic battles between roughly equal units are bad. The above should fix that a little.

edited February 2013
    I'm one of those rare people who loved the Fear autobreak mechanic but never played undead. Made undead actually scary as a general even if it didn't usually effect the troops - you just know that you can't just leave your troops there against the zombies or all hell will break loose. Stay in control and everything should be fine, lose control....

Taking that away feels the same as removing animosity.

Otherwise I like those. I'd give a rank to cav as well though - anything with base greater than 25mm. And/or flank also negates steadfast

Tastyfish on
    What do you mean by "give a rank to cavalry" exactly?
    Cavalry ranks just fine as It is…?

On an unrelated note, the new chaos chariot model is crazy on the detail, or rather the little touches like giving the driver actual reins to pull. Anyway, I've swapped the two standard horses for a pair of Knight ones and am either going to use the ones from the kit as marauder horse champ. mounts or to make up a unit of marauder horse with light armour.

Cross posting from the painting thread:

Here is what I've been working on lately:

Sorcerer Lord, on foot
    IMG_0337_zps982c9564.jpg
    IMG_0338_zps736f83da.jpg

Sorcerer Lord, Mounted
    IMG_0334_zps7ffd7ed5.jpg
    IMG_0335_zpsae4520f9.jpg
    PS: If anyone has an extra one of those Face Plate bits (like on the first Sorcerer), I will literally do anything for it. I got screwed on Ebay when I bought the bits to build the second model, and I can't find the mask individually anywhere.

Chaos Lord
    IMG_0341_zps8528238c.jpg
    I used to field this guy with a Book of Secrets, hence the model. With the removal of the item in the new book I don't really know what his place is. He'll probably end up being just a sorcerer.

Daemon Prince
    3b1763fd-d191-4dc0-8f00-5e3be2d33f2a_zpsaf0984af.jpg
    IMG_0357_zps131a3cd1.jpg

Sorcerer
    IMG_0355_zps76f1cb3e.jpg
    IMG_0356_zpse43cfe7c.jpg
    One of my oldest Chaos models, and one of my favorites still.

edited February 2013
    So much for photobucket's cropping. Seems like it randomly decides which photos it's going to stick on. Sorry about the size in some of the last ones.

Ogres
    IMG_0354_zps11dc6f7b.jpg
    IMG_0353_zps923051c0.jpg
    IMG_0352_zpsd3b0478c.jpg
    IMG_0351_zps22f080da.jpg
    IMG_0350_zpsb31be27f.jpg
    IMG_0349_zpsb7009b91.jpg
    IMG_0348_zps32ac1d41.jpg
    IMG_0347_zpsac00ac3d.jpg
    I love GW's ogre models. I don't know why, but I just find them so much fun to paint and build. I went for the grey skin mostly because I wanted to separate them from the rest of the army somehow.

Battle Standard Bearer
    IMG_0340_zpsb92f378e.jpg
    Haven't finished working on the banner yet. Kinda stuck on that. I think I want to replace it with something grander as well. We'll see.

Hellcannon (conversion)
    IMG_0345_zps1eb424fd.jpg
    IMG_0344_zps6e760473.jpg
    IMG_0343_zpse9075acc.jpg
    I don't hate the GW Hellcannon, but I do hate it's price tag. For $15 I got an action figure that can be split in half to give me two hellcannons, instead of the $120~ it would cost me for two.

Skullo on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Those guys all look awesome!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    Thanks!

I taught my ladyfriend how to play (very basically) last night, and she admitted she had more fun than she thought she would.

She's intrigued by Bretonnia, because she loves Arthurian legend, but she'd want to do an army based on this book series she reads. Also, to teach her the Magic phase, I gave her a lvl 2. Wizard with the lore of Fire, and she seriously enjoyed rolling double 6s for the winds of magic, throwing 6 dice at a fully boosted fireball, and incinerating MY Wizard in one turn. Since Bretonnia doesn't get access to Fireball, we've also thought about using Empire as the basis for her rules. This works great, because it's easier to get a 500 point force out of Empire than Brets.

Here's what I've whipped up:

Chaos Force:
    Sorcerer
    +Mark of Tzeentch

12 Chaos Warriors
    +Hand Weapons/Shields

3 Chaos Ogres
    +Great Weapons

Chaos Spawn
    +Mark of Tzeentch

The idea is to have some variety for me to keep things fun, since I don't want to "go easy", but I don't want to make a min/maxed crush her list (which would probably be tough to do in 500pts anyway). 125 points is not a lot of to work with when it comes to a general, since no matter my hero choice I get 15 points to play with. It does give me some options though. Other character builds I considered were: Soul Feeder + Enchanted shield on an Exalted Hero (or Sorcerer if I still wanted Magic, picking a Lore to support it), or using the Chalice of Chaos if I was feeling REALLY mean one day (woo! turn 1 Daemon prince).

Empire Force
    Empire General
    +Shield
    +Full Plate
    +Mount

Battle Wizard
    +Lvl 2
    +Earthing Rod/Dispel Scroll (I'll let her pick)

20 Swordsmen

5 Knightly Orders

I wanted to give her a strong core that also fits into the characters she wants to recreate. That meant having a Knight of some kind be the general, but also having a "strong" Magic user (also, she wanted to be able to use Fireball again). I think this could be a fun team to play - have the Empire General run around with the Knightly orders, while the wizard sneaks around and shoots fireballs. The Swordsmen give her more practice with an infantry block, and we could even split them into 2 sets of 10 if we wanted.

I kept out Command groups, mostly to save points, but also to keep combat scoring as simple as possible for now. After the intro game, she said that basics of the game were fun, but it's the "fiddling with numbers" that she didn't care for - scoring combats, armor reduction, stuff like that. I'll introduce this basic version of scoring combats: It'll come down to who killed more and who charged, and the Steadfast rule isn't hard to understand. We'll do banners/ranks/hills/etc later, and I guess flank/rear if they come up.

This discussion has been closed.