Looking for some feedback

MykalLakimMykalLakim Registered User regular
edited February 2013 in Artist's Corner
These are some of the sketches I've been doing for my game line. I was wondering if you could give me some feedback on them.

The first is Celestials Armor:

angelicarmor.jpg

Grifter on

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    So is this supposed to be concept art? I don't really know why its cut off in that manner, and the busy background and the outer glow are really distracting. It looks more like a tank top with some straps on it than armor, because there's no real tangible indicator of its material.

If you want to get some crits, I'd recommend posting more of your images on the forums, so people can get a sense of your work over all, and guide you towards improvement.

• MykalLakimMykalLakim Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I've been having problems with people stealing my art and reposting it, so I took some portions of it out so they couldn't do anything with it. Here's two more of my pieces:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQk8nkiZGkOPSMy2Gsqrtmysx3nkS-oj-zls32u9ns7G_jnF68cA

537578_502657653090390_1941994490_n.jpg

314606_502657789757043_2138918753_n.jpg

MykalLakim on
  • franciumfrancium Registered User regular
    It was all an elaborate set up it seems, to post the furry pic.

francium, it is from a werewolf rpg my company, dark Phoenix publishing, is producing. I sketched all of these freehand, except my vision of the Lilliana vampire which I drew and then used Photoshop to add the moon and text. I'm not sure what you mean by a sweet up.

• CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    I'm not sure about completely sketched by freehand, the Lilliana piece is a copy of a gen 13 cover...

I would say, keep at it. I started by copying stuff when I was growing up, it's fine to begin with, but your not going to learn much unless you start studying from real life.

Mostly important though, if you are going to draw stuff... And post it online... Make sure you let people know that you have referenced stuff, it's not fair to the original artist if your taking their credit. And from all your watermarks, I can see you understand the importance of people not stealing your stuff.

The Lilliana vampire is the artist's vision of what this kind of vampire looks like. Many artists borrow body poses, it is especially common in the comic industry as well as art classes. Nobody is doing anything "unfair" with this piece of art.

• soreensoreen Registered User new member
    edited February 2013
    EDIT: double post.

soreen on
    I don't know why you guys keep stalking me, it is really creepy. Why can't I just ask for advice. We have been working very hard to improve our work and fix the issues people point out.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @soreen While I appreciate the heads up, A Report and a PM would have suited the situation much better. I don't know if you are following this guy around on the internet or what, but policing and public shaming like this is unnecessary.

@MykalLakim, using reference, and heavy borrowing are one thing, but you need to be upfront about it, and its going to stunt the growth of your artwork for a long time. I'm locking this thread. If you want to gain insight from this community, I suggest lurking a bit, and seeing the dedication and time that people around here put in learning the basics, and being gracious towards help. If you make another thread, site your sources on heavily referencing poses from other artists so that other members can critique you appropriately. If that's a problem move on.

This discussion has been closed.