As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• EumerinEumerin Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    PS. Don't mention the gunplay in ME, it makes me get flashbacks and cry fits of rage D:

lies

run on wall firing machine pistol in slow motion

then u will understand it alllllllllll

I did the first level without shooting anything because I didn't know how to disarm/forgot in the fun.

That was a peaceful, innocent time of my life.

Then there was the boat and I was never the same again.

Also if Cyberpunk looks half as pretty as ME does it'll be gorgeous.

I went through the whole game without shooting anything but a window. Pulling a trigger is like ordering takeout.

You do need to use a gun exactly once, though shooting a person isn't involved.
    It's when you shoot the truck with the sniper rifle.

• Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Has CD Projekt RED announced how close this will be to the pen and paper game yet?
    Is it going to be a FPS game like Fallout?

Vicious_GSR on
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    There's a way to get past that section with the pipe climb and 4 armed guards that doesn't involve brutal murder? Or did you just toss the guns and knock everyone out?

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    The use of guns is an entirely secondary issue to having to fight at all. That point at the pipe absolutely requires fighting to progress so you don't get shot while climbing, fighting another runner happens and you have to do it, and at one point you have to use a slow-opening door in a room full of soldiers where you have to knock some of them out so you don't get shot while spending 15 seconds to open a door. Whether or not I'm willing to put up with those stupid obstructions is entirely up to my mood, since, yeah, I'd like NOT to shoot anybody, but I'd also like to not have to deal with the second-rate melee combat system because of a stupid situation.

Having to stop at any point to fight anything just killed the momentum of the game, and those points weren't even very good points. Bet you 5 bucks that some EA corporate asshole leaned on DICE for all those bits, though, because everybody knows you can't have a game without shooting and fighting these days.

Mirror's Edge would make for a pretty fantastic style of gameplay for a cyberpunk game, though. The setting is already most of the way there; toss in some megacorporations, cybernetics, running at night guided by neon, and some 80's hair and BAM, awesome free-running cyberpunk game.

Ninja Snarl P on
    edited February 2013
    Having to stop at any point to fight anything just killed the momentum of the game, and those points weren't even very good points. Bet you 5 bucks that some EA corporate asshole leaned on DICE for all those bits, though, because everybody knows you can't have a game without shooting and fighting these days.

And that made my XBox Live achievement for beating the game without shooting anyone all the sweeter...
    Has CD Projekt RED announced how close this will be to the pen and paper game yet?
    Is it going to be a FPS game like Fallout?

No word yet on how exactly it's going to work. But since they bothered to license a setting and bring the setting's creator on board, I would expect that at least some of the Interlock System mechanics will be involved.

Also no word yet on whether it'll be fps/tps/overhead/whathaveyou for the in-game POV camera.

Eumerin on
  • Vicious_GSRVicious_GSR Dude Principality of ZeonRegistered User regular
    Well that trailer has sold me. Loved the atmosphere and backgrounds, including that shop you see briefly.

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    And after emptying an entire magazine into the door, she tries to pull it open--only to have nothing happen. Because she's not stronger than the hydraulic door on an armored military tank.

It was a brilliant joke at the Oshii film. "Yeah, we remember that particular scene. And we laughed too."

she wasnt stronger than the tank in the film either

unless you are referring to the idea she would tear off her own arms or?

She wasn't strong (or fanatical) enough to rip off her own arms was the point.

ritey

but the thing is, thats by far the best scene in the film.in fact its the only scene i (or anybody else i know who saw it ages ago) can remember.

it was swaggular. the series is way better, but its v diff. scene wouldnlt make any sense in it

While I agree it's a bit silly for Motoko to essentially perform a suicide mission when she knows help is on the way, but this scene is probably the most effective scene in the whole movie about her particular condition.

Once you start seeing your body as a tool that can be broken and rebuilt, then what separates you from the automated robot in the eyes of your employee or government? 40 years effective military life? How about 80? 90? 120 years?

424px-Black_Templar_Dreadnought.jpg

"Even in death I still serve."

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    There's a way to get past that section with the pipe climb and 4 armed guards that doesn't involve brutal murder? Or did you just toss the guns and knock everyone out?

its just like any other part, you beat their faces in

i like mirrors edge combat, especially once you master DA GOOMBA STOMP

obF2Wuw.png
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Mirror's Edge would make for a pretty fantastic style of gameplay for a cyberpunk game, though. The setting is already most of the way there; toss in some megacorporations, cybernetics, running at night guided by neon, and some 80's hair and BAM, awesome free-running cyberpunk game.

I hate you so much for making me want this. This would probably the only game I would ever play again were it to exist.

Also, I picked this album up on bandcamp, and it is totally thread appropriate (though the artwork is slightly NSFW). If you were thinking to yourself "I want to get my Cyberpunk music on," you're welcome: http://perturbator.bandcamp.com/

steam_sig.png

The megacorporation angle is already present to a certain extent. While city the does maintain its own police force (as represented by Faith's sister and one or two other characters), the vast majority of police that you encounter in the game appear to be corporate rent-a-cops employed by Pirandello Kruger as opposed to city employees. While we don't know exactly how much influence and power PK has world-wide (a necessary trait for a real mega-corporation), they're extremely powerful within the city and essentially drive the plot of the game.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

I hate you so much for making me want this. This would probably the only game I would ever play again were it to exist.

Also, I picked this album up on bandcamp, and it is totally thread appropriate (though the artwork is slightly NSFW). If you were thinking to yourself "I want to get my Cyberpunk music on," you're welcome: http://perturbator.bandcamp.com/

I'd be totally up for some 80s neon cyberpunky/noir feel. The music's nice too, so thanks for that.

• ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular

Nice find on the music. The sound strangely reminds me of my Amiga years. But man, that album cover art. It's like someone put together a combo of the tackiest 80's van art they could find.

When I think cyberpunk music I always think of Front Line Assembly. It was always playing at some point in any of the CP2020 games we ran.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CadsdLkiqUs

Next one is probably one of their best songs as well as a surprisingly decent (if cheeseball) video for the time. Holds up relatively well considering when it was made. Although it does have the look of a SegaCD game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJkGgAdmZPc

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Gunhed was a live-action mecha movie made in '89; the song and video came out in '92. Looks like they mined it for tons of footage.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    And after emptying an entire magazine into the door, she tries to pull it open--only to have nothing happen. Because she's not stronger than the hydraulic door on an armored military tank.

It was a brilliant joke at the Oshii film. "Yeah, we remember that particular scene. And we laughed too."

she wasnt stronger than the tank in the film either

unless you are referring to the idea she would tear off her own arms or?

She wasn't strong (or fanatical) enough to rip off her own arms was the point.

ritey

but the thing is, thats by far the best scene in the film.in fact its the only scene i (or anybody else i know who saw it ages ago) can remember.

it was swaggular. the series is way better, but its v diff. scene wouldnlt make any sense in it

While I agree it's a bit silly for Motoko to essentially perform a suicide mission when she knows help is on the way, but this scene is probably the most effective scene in the whole movie about her particular condition.

Once you start seeing your body as a tool that can be broken and rebuilt, then what separates you from the automated robot in the eyes of your employee or government? 40 years effective military life? How about 80? 90? 120 years?

424px-Black_Templar_Dreadnought.jpg

"Even in death I still serve."

Hah, say what you want about Niihama, but it is not a grim dark future that only knows war. W40K is the poster boy for "Well, you know, things could be worse."

No wonder the Major wouldn't rip her arms off--she's got international hostages to rescue, not heretics to burn.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i would pay cash money for major motoko kusanagi, inquisitor

obF2Wuw.png

Do paralyzed child survivors of air disasters live on in the grim, dark future where there is only war?

It would certainly allow for a lot more of barking at people with funny hats. At the cost of boring discussing about human rights and parameters of the written law code.

• Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    Nah, Dreadnaughts don't have it that bad, they're brainwashed to like it and all

oh god WH40K is horrifying

Do paralyzed child survivors of air disasters live on in the grim, dark future where there is only war?

It would certainly allow for a lot more of barking at people with funny hats. At the cost of boring discussing about human rights and parameters of the written law code.

have you seen the penitent engine

Penitent_Engine_colour.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    They were talking about printing guns on NPR today. Someone mentioned that it all comes down to 'Personal Responsibility' and I thought, "Rad, I can't wait for that 2077 game."

Also on Perturbator.
    http://youtu.be/xWBtqmxzlCo

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
    edited February 2013
    Nah, Dreadnaughts don't have it that bad, they're brainwashed to like it and all

oh god WH40K is horrifying

"Screw your laws, civility and conduct, the future is grim, dark, and full of wars!"*
    *Laws, civility and conduct are all major parts of the Ghost in the Shell franchise, alongside the prevention of wars through high-level diplomacy. Please check your Foreign Ministry before engaging in Ghost in the Shell, as you may not be covered.

More relevantly, CD Projekt Red is having a sale on GoG.com and Steam for The Witcher, in case that hasn't already been mentioned.

Synthesis on
    Gunhed was a live-action mecha movie made in '89; the song and video came out in '92. Looks like they mined it for tons of footage.

That explains two things then. The first is the Gunhed text that flashes on screen briefly, and the second how an obscure Canadian industrial band could afford a video with effects like that.

• PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    That would be fantastic

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeeeeeeessssssss

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    oh my god yes. YES

i would declare it goty, all years if that happend.

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Someone mentioned it in the comments there, but I think it would be ideal if instead of creating several voice acted language localisations for different regions, they use this as an opportunity to simply create one version of the game and only localise the text translations.

So instead of a dude being dubbed into various different languages "with funny accents", they just have the one voice actor for each main character in their native tongue.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    mirrors edge was fucking swagtacular

Please do not use this word again.

I wonder if they would ever do a horror themed expansion based on Cthuhlupunk. Yes I know it's not actually part of Cyberpunk (Or for that matter Shadowrun) but it would be intriguing to see what they could do with it.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I've never heard of Cthulhupunk but I googled it and I guess it's basically Cthulu plus computers. CD Projekt is busy as hell with The Witcher 3 + Cyberpunk 2077 so there's no way they're also doing Cthulhupunk any time soon, but I guess I could see how computhulu could be pretty swagtacular.

• PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    Swagtacular

Swagtastic

Swag

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Hipsterpunk

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Hipsterpunk

The world is controlled by cottage industry focused corporations.
    You probably haven't heard of them

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    That language thing sure sounds good though. I hope they'll go with it, and won't have issues implementing it.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    They're thinking of recording all the dialog in the correct language, then having the player buy a translator implant to understand other languages. That would be so badass.

That would be absolutely amazing. I so hope they do it.
    Mooooltiplayer.

Good lord man, it's like the universe designated you as some wonderous bringer of good news. I wonder how the multiplayer will work? I'm hoping it's not some sort of MMO-type setup. A nice co-op setup would be fantastic.

Hipsterpunk

The world is controlled by cottage industry focused corporations.
    You probably haven't heard of them

Oh, you have. But a plebian like you doesn't really get it. Why don't you run off to your office job with your non-ironic tie and slacks?

• BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/01/cyberpunk-2077-putting-the-punk-back-into-cyberpunk
    "The story will be low-level. We are not going to save the world, or even save a city. We are focused on the main character and his problems, or her problems.”

This pleases us.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/01/cyberpunk-2077-putting-the-punk-back-into-cyberpunk
    "The story will be low-level. We are not going to save the world, or even save a city. We are focused on the main character and his problems, or her problems.”

This pleases us.

Same here. In Cyberpunk the only thing you should be worrying about is saving is your own ass.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    And maybe getting payback when possible.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    And maybe getting payback when possible.

Revenge is the main dish.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA