As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Omerta] City of Wangsters

2»

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah, my current combat setup:

I typically run with Myself, Squiggs, Doc, and Juliet with Mr Wolf supporting. Me and Juliet use tommy guns, Squiggs uses a unique pistol, and Doc uses a unique set of revolvers. Overal it's pretty devastating. The tommy guns alone are insane, especially being able to bring to bear 2 of them, and with no worries regarding clips or ammo you can just unload full auto every turn. I like Squiggs with the pistol because he's fairly mobile and can take 4 shots with a decent chance to hit. The revolvers I could take or leave but it's nice having the double tap and potential weakness status. I'm debating giving him the shotgun and seeing how that does. Mr Wolf has a rifle and I'll occasionally swap him in (especially if it's an open map).

I haven't been a big fan of melee because they seem to miss all the time even with a 75% or greater hit chance, and they tend to just get in the way of the firearms.

I do similar setup, except I swap out Juliet with Mr. Wolf. He's a freaking beast with that rifle.

camo_sig2.png
  • KiasKias Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »

I typically run with Myself, Squiggs, Doc, and Juliet with Mr Wolf supporting. Me and Juliet use tommy guns, Squiggs uses a unique pistol, and Doc uses a unique set of revolvers. Overal it's pretty devastating. The tommy guns alone are insane, especially being able to bring to bear 2 of them, and with no worries regarding clips or ammo you can just unload full auto every turn. I like Squiggs with the pistol because he's fairly mobile and can take 4 shots with a decent chance to hit. The revolvers I could take or leave but it's nice having the double tap and potential weakness status. I'm debating giving him the shotgun and seeing how that does. Mr Wolf has a rifle and I'll occasionally swap him in (especially if it's an open map).

I haven't been a big fan of melee because they seem to miss all the time even with a 75% or greater hit chance, and they tend to just get in the way of the firearms.

I do similar setup, except I swap out Juliet with Mr. Wolf. He's a freaking beast with that rifle.
    I have had the opposite experience in that, assuming I can close the gap, I am almost guaranteed to put someone down with a full turn of knifing. I use the boss with a handgun, Daredevil with a knife, Mr Wolf with his rifle, and Mario with a shotgun mostly, though I am still toying around with how exactly I want my party.

Daredevil was excellent with her fists, especially due to how mobile it made her, but a knife combo that starts with a successful slice just does so much damage. I also like parking her next to a chokepoint that guys have to come through to get LoS so she get that free stab in.

I got a little crazy and tried to bring in a the baseball bat guy you rescue from the KKK because holy crap, he does so much damage, in Mario's place, but then I wound up going against a bunch of Rifles and it did not go well. Stepping out to melee pretty much guaranteed that person was going down.

steam_sig.png

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Kias wrote: »
    I got a little crazy and tried to bring in a the baseball bat guy you rescue from the KKK because holy crap, he does so much damage

Heh, I was playing last night and my 4 year old son was watching. He saw a picture of The Boss and asked "Who's that?" I said, "It's daddy". He said, "Which one is me?" and I brought up the gang window and said, "I don't know." He pointed to that guy and said, "That's me." I said, "You're a big black guy?" and he said, "Yep!" Then the rest of the night he was saying he's a big black guy.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular

I have had the opposite experience in that, assuming I can close the gap, I am almost guaranteed to put someone down with a full turn of knifing. I use the boss with a handgun, Daredevil with a knife, Mr Wolf with his rifle, and Mario with a shotgun mostly, though I am still toying around with how exactly I want my party.

Daredevil was excellent with her fists, especially due to how mobile it made her, but a knife combo that starts with a successful slice just does so much damage. I also like parking her next to a chokepoint that guys have to come through to get LoS so she get that free stab in.

I got a little crazy and tried to bring in a the baseball bat guy you rescue from the KKK because holy crap, he does so much damage, in Mario's place, but then I wound up going against a bunch of Rifles and it did not go well. Stepping out to melee pretty much guaranteed that person was going down.

I've got Mr. Wolf upgraded with several ranged perks that essentially make him have very accurate shots even at very long ranges. His grenade throw is also really helpful because it keeps the enemies away (or they get blown up), giving him more turns to snipe away.

I've got Doc using a tommy gun, but I might move him over to a shotgun. He's got a lot of AP...I'm just not sure how good the range is. The tommy gun uses a ton of AP per shot, unless you pick the very inaccurate shot.

camo_sig2.png

I've got Mr. Wolf upgraded with several ranged perks that essentially make him have very accurate shots even at very long ranges. His grenade throw is also really helpful because it keeps the enemies away (or they get blown up), giving him more turns to snipe away.

I've got Doc using a tommy gun, but I might move him over to a shotgun. He's got a lot of AP...I'm just not sure how good the range is. The tommy gun uses a ton of AP per shot, unless you pick the very inaccurate shot.
    You know, I used doc a couple times, and his healing is great, but he freaks out so incredibly easy that I found he crippled my team by going so quickly to a panicked state. After the third time this happened, I took him off the team.

The AP efficiency is what had me have my boss switch back to the handgun, especially with the perk that increases accuracy with each shot. Also, and this is a mechanic I think is kind of dumb, but the more accurate someone is, like Mr Wolf with his rifle, the more likely he is to accidentally hit a friendly b/w the shooter and the target. The to-hit chance for friends and foes is flatly increased by accuracy, which seems super silly. The only gun that lets you circumvent this if you get out of position is the handgun.

steam_sig.png

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

You know, I used doc a couple times, and his healing is great, but he freaks out so incredibly easy that I found he crippled my team by going so quickly to a panicked state. After the third time this happened, I took him off the team.

The AP efficiency is what had me have my boss switch back to the handgun, especially with the perk that increases accuracy with each shot. Also, and this is a mechanic I think is kind of dumb, but the more accurate someone is, like Mr Wolf with his rifle, the more likely he is to accidentally hit a friendly b/w the shooter and the target. The to-hit chance for friends and foes is flatly increased by accuracy, which seems super silly. The only gun that lets you circumvent this if you get out of position is the handgun.

"hey, at least I hit somebody boss!"

• IslandDogIslandDog Registered User regular
    I've been switching people in and out to get a feel for them. I held back having a melee person, but this new guy with the bat is fun.

edited February 2013
    I have gone back to Daredevil using fists because I got a nice +20% damage, +10% acc fist weapon and squiggs with -ap per action revolvers is pretty sweet.

Most importantly, Mr. Wolf has given up his rifle for a Tommy Gun, which has been going swimmingly. Injuries are becoming more common though, so swapping out gang members is happening more often. I am even having some missions where I leave the boss on support and have the gang handle the grunt work.

Daredevil gets left behind if I think I am going in to a big shootout, but any objective based missions she just destroys. Rescue someone from jail? Position myself as close as possible without tripping the guards awareness, burn all her AP on sidestep and she ends up with 20+MP which lets her jet to the objective and even take a few steps away after. Combine this with the ability to take another action from someone else (poor princess ended up in jail), and it goes: Daredevil rescues Princess, Princess runs out, pops his ability for Daredevil to immediately act, Daredevil runs a bit, kicks a cop in the groin, and then runs back down the stairs, Mr Wolf tosses out a grenade to discourage pursuit, and two turns later we are riding back to the hideout, having a laugh.

Still really enjoying the game, but second the concern for replay. Not even sure how sandbox is going to work as, far as I can tell, there is no force actively working against the player on the campaign map (unless its the investigation timer, which is laughably easy to dismiss). I could see waiting for a sale, but when it does go on sale, there is really no reason not to pick this one up. That said, I like supporting these sorts of games, as I want more of them, and you will get your money's worth buying at full price.

Also, I am a little tired of being called Boss every three seconds. I get it. I am the boss. I wish they had just given a fixed last name, like Commander Sheppard in ME, for everyone to call you, because everyone calling me Boss all the time as if it were my name gets annoying. My name is Nick Charles, because he would have been the best gangster.

Kias on
    steam_sig.png