As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Look, up in the forums! It's [Superman]!

• Options
    Chomp-ChompChomp-Chomp Shonen Princess Registered User regular
    Oniros25 wrote: »
    My first thought coming in here was "the first thing on the list better be All-Star Superman", and I was not disappointed.

The Absolute All-Star Superman sitting in its shrine in my bedroom would seem to indicate that we're in agreement on this subject.

I agree with these agreements.

OP gets props, but I gotta mention the classy 8-word Superman origin story:

Doomed planet.
    Desperate scientists.
    Last hope.
    Kindly couple.
    tumblr_lgoivhxBKT1qenlxpo1_500.jpg

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I got around to starting For All Seasons and it completely caught me off guard with how good it is. Between this and that Braniac animated trailer I'm remembering how much I loved Pre-New 52 Superman. Not that I'm hating the new stuff.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    Oniros25Oniros25 Registered User regular
    SightTDW wrote: »
    I got around to starting For All Seasons and it completely caught me off guard with how good it is. Between this and that Braniac animated trailer I'm remembering how much I loved Pre-New 52 Superman. Not that I'm hating the new stuff.

The old and new both have their merits and flaws. There haven't been any stories told in the new continuity that have knocked me on my ass, but I'm confident that they're coming.

Nintendo Network ID: Oniros
    3DS Friend Code: 1461-7489-3097
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    GRANT MORRISON STRETCHES THE "ACTION COMICS" OF SUPERMAN

Hmmm...I was kinda looking forward to its end this month but I can't be mad at more Grant Morrison Superman.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I am always happy with more Morrison.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I just want them to redraw all 18 issues with one consistent artist
    Maybe Travel Foreman

• Options
    edited February 2013
    @Tairu It would make the whole thing a more cohesive package. @vagrant_winds I am also happy with more Morrison. If only they could persuade him to stay on. I was really hoping when this whole thing started that we would get a grand Superman opera out of him on par with what he did for Batman just prior. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Also, if anyone is interested, there is another similar but slightly more detailed interview with Grant here.

Oniros25 on
  • Options
    Oh and also here.

That one in particular is interesting to me because of a collection of things Grant says to the interviewer which resonate with my internal understanding of Superman.

"I guess, that's what Superman is about: he's the indomitable self." -slightly paraphrased for clarity. This is it in a nutshell for me. Superman is the indomitable self, the greatest you that you could ever be. He's the voice in the back of your head that urges you not to give up, that tells you there's always a way.

In responce to the interviewer noting that the key to his New 52 Superman seems to be that he's confidant, "Yes, absolutely. Confident is the word. That's who he is. He knows who he is. He's not a man who suffers from self-doubt. There may be occasions and it does go wrong, and I think that's interesting, but even when he's down, he always finds a way back. You know, we can see Superman in the state of vulnerability, but by the turn of the page, he'll be figuring something out. And I think that's the important thing to keep in mind. He always saves us."

That's interesting to me because I resolved a lot of the self-doubt and anxiety in my life by following Superman's example from books that Grant wrote. So, um, thanks, Grant!

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I think the bigger reveal was that Grant's run was originally gonna be only 6 issues! And it kinda shows how some steam was lost after the first arc.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I think the bigger reveal was that Grant's run was originally gonna be only 6 issues! And it kinda shows how some steam was lost after the first arc.

True, but some of those lovely one shots hit immediately after the first arc. I really liked the Superman of world 23 story and of course Action 13. It hasn't been as cohesive, but I have still enjoyed everything.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I'm holding off on my judgement of the second arc of Action Comics, because its been a seriously confusing story to try and follow month to month. I can't wait to go back and reread it in one sitting and see how it settles in after that.

I mean, its not just me, right? I'm allowed to be confused right around the time the words "fifth dimensional" pop up.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    *puts on referee hat, thinks*

yup, I'll allow it.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I am just bummed that Action became this weird, sprawling story. I was really interested in Morrison writing the adventures of young, inexperienced Superman.

It was meant to be the gateway Superman book!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I am just bummed that Action became this weird, sprawling story. I was really interested in Morrison writing the adventures of young, inexperienced Superman.

It was meant to be the gateway Superman book!

Yeah, from that perspective it's a bit not good. He was doing a pretty good job of that up through issue four or so, but then we got the unstuck-from-time issues five and six and it was all over from then on. Although, if they actually intended Action to be the shallow end of the pool where Superman comes into play, they probably should've put someone who was...not Morrison on it. I love Morrison to death, but he's no 101 professor. He's Master Class.

• Options
    Morrison can be perfectly accessible.

His Batman and Robin run, for instance.

Or half of his Batman run.

It is just that he gets up his own ass sometimes and can't resist being all weird and Morrison-y.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    sweetcreamscoopssweetcreamscoops Registered User regular
    I still don't understand half the things that happened in the return of Bruce Wayne

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    SightTDW wrote: »
    I'm holding off on my judgement of the second arc of Action Comics, because its been a seriously confusing story to try and follow month to month. I can't wait to go back and reread it in one sitting and see how it settles in after that.

I mean, its not just me, right? I'm allowed to be confused right around the time the words "fifth dimensional" pop up.

Its got some confusing elements but the core of it is pretty simple.

Myx gains the favor of the king of the 5th dimension and one of his servants grew angered by this and tried to kill him but killed the king instead. Myx and his wife seek refuge in Earth and the past and the Servant is left for no one to blame for his mistake and take revenge on. No one except Myx's greatest trick. The trick that tricked back. So he begins attacking SUperman at various points in the timeline after putting together a posse of anti-Superman supervillains.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    See.

Geth gets it.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, I dropped the book when it stopped being "Inexperienced Superman fighting for the little guy" (and started getting some horrible artists) but I got the gist of it from the scans that were posted in MotW threads. Just had no interest where it was going.

• Options
    As someone who is also thrilled by Fantastic Four bullshit tales of mad adventure in the etherial otherness of the cosmos type tales, I can't get enough of this stuff.

Also, yet another Superman book announcement. Well, sorta. It is nice that DC seems to have gone, "Oh yeah we've got that Superman thing still, huh?" Some great artists on the list. I'm not crazy about Orson Scott Card or his comics work by and large, but who knows. Maybe he'll surprise me.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    That sounds like exactly what I want

Except the OSC part. Wasn't he a very vocal homophobe last time I checked?

• Options
    Tairu wrote: »
    That sounds like exactly what I want

Except the OSC part. Wasn't he a very vocal homophobe last time I checked?

You are correct, sir! He's written a couple of OK science fiction novels and quite a few mediocre comic books. Maybe this is his time to shine, but I'll probably wait till his part of this is over before checking in with this deal.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Orson Scott Card has advocated for the overthrow of the US government if gay marriage is legalized.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Don't forget his Hamlet where he revealed everything bad happens because Hamlet's father was a gay pedophile, and raped basically the entire book.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I really wish I had fabricated any of that, I really do

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Uh

Wow.

I like everything I've ever read of his significantly less now.

• Options
    herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Yeah OSC is pretty much a giant piece of shit.

But anyways, I have been enjoying Lobdell's Superman for the most part. He writes Superman a little too douchey for my tastes, but there are some great moments like the prison visit that make his run really enjoyable.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    AmiguAmigu Registered User regular
    So hard when good creators turn out to be a-holes. I call it Bad Brains syndrome. If they're dead and gone it's a bit easier because you can just appreciate the art but when they're stilla round it raises questions of "should I be financially supporting this person?"

BitD PbP Character Volstrom
    QEz1Jw1.png
  • Options
    I was super turned off by how Lobdell wrote Superboy (not the tone, just the ADD inconsistancy of the thing) so I actually haven't checked int with the Superman Monthly since he took over. I know I ought to peek in there and see if he's doing anything good, but fool me once...

• Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    Scott Lobdell's Superman is fun, which is a big improvement over what it was before.

• Options
    glithert wrote: »
    Scott Lobdell's Superman is fun, which is a big improvement over what it was before.

Oh, you mean a public fourm for writers to complain about how things are changing, write superman out of character, tell really dated tales, so on and so forth? Yeah, even Lobdell's madness has to be better than that. At least it's had one guy writing it for like...what is it now almost ten straight issues, right? Someone has to get into the double digits on that thing...

• Options
    RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    90bacaa87ca239ddc157e716a99ea00ea051231e.jpg

• Options
    Ryan Sohmer writing that is probably the most hypocritical thing I have ever seen

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Ryan Sohmer writing that is probably the most hypocritical thing I have ever seen

Yeah. I mean he's right but the irony is like neck deep here.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Can you guys elaborate?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Ryan Sohmer is the writer of misogynistic, racist, and homophobic web comic Least I Could Do.

• Options
    Ohhhh.

Yeah, fuck that guy.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    is the image not a joke?

like, if you were going to pick who the writer would be to sell this particular joke, would you not pick Ryan Sohmer as the writer of this (i am assuming) non-existant comic?

Joolander on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Ryan Sohmer wrote the joke but Orson Scott Card is going to be writing a Superman comic.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    oh :/

well then never mind