As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ragnarok Online 2: Legend of the Second

ghostbanditghostbandit Registered User regular
edited February 2013 in MMO Extravaganza
Hello!

Ragnarok Online 2 is of course the sequel to Ragnarok Online. It is free to play with a cash shop. I will give a quick rundown of the game and some important information. There is practically zero information on the internet concerning this game (open beta started in January) so I will attempt to let you know everything I have learned thus far.

http://www.playro2.com/

Server

Freyja - This is the "english" speaking server. This is also where my guild lives. So if you want to play I strongly suggest this server.

Class System

In the beginning of the game you choose from 1 of 5 classes.

Swordsman, Thief, Archer, Magician.

After reaching level 25 you can impart on your class change quest! The class change quest is incredibly easy.

Swordsman -> Knight(tank) - Warrior(2h Sword DPS)

Swordsman starts the game with 1H sword and heavy armor. Pretty much your classic warrior type class. The Knight is the only class in the game that can equip shields, thus making them the tank class, because you know...shields or whatever. Warrior is pretty cool, he wears heavy armor and hits things with a big ass 2h sword.

Thief -> Rogue(Dual Dagger DPS) - Assassin(Fist Weapon DPS)

Main melee DPS class. I haven't really messed around with these too much but the Assassin looks pretty crazy. If you like poking stuff with sharp things this might be the class for you.

Archer -> Ranger(Bow Ranged DPS) - Beastmaster(Shapeshifter Melee DPS)

Straight forward ranged class. Unless you decide to go Beastmaster. The Beastmaster uses spears and can turn into 3 different animals. A tiger, a bear, and a grizzly bear. (bears look awesome btw)

Acolyte -> Priest(Heals!) - Monk(Melee DPS)

Your classic healer. Priest is the best healer in the game, great single target and AOE heals. Monk is an interesting melee DPS/hybrid.

Magician -> Wizard(Fiery caster DPS) - Sorcerer(It does damage and has heals?)

Your AOE caster damage. Sorcerer has some heals which I am not entirely sure what to think about it.

Dual Class

At the beginning of the game when you are picking your class you also get to pick your profession. It would be beneficial to pick the class that benefits your main class. Gathering materials for each craft is pretty straight foward. You either pick the materials up from around the world, plants or mining nodes, or you kill creatures and skin them.

Blacksmith - Crafts weapons and heavy armor. (I am a knight so i took this, it was a good idea)

Artisan - Crafts leather armor. (Rogues/Archer etc)

Alchemist - Crafts potions

Cook - Crafts foods. (Food is how you regenerate health rapidly out of combat. There are also buff foods, ie +5 str for 60 minutes etc)

Tailor - Crafts robes and what not for magicians.

Stats

Stat system is fairly cut and dry. You level up you get some points. Most classes will allocate their stats into the main two. For example Knight, 40 STR 40 VIT 8 AGI. That will be my final stat allotment until they increase the level cap.

STR - Increases physical dmg and increases parry rate

VIT - 6 HP per point.

AGI - Increases hit rate/crit/dodge

INT - Increases SP and magic damage

Skills

You get one skill point everytime you level up. Hit T to open your skill window and then put your point into the fanciest sounding skill!! Remember its a Korean game so...translations can be a little bit weak sometimes.

Card System

If you ever played Ragnarok Online you remember the Card System. Well they have switched it up for this game. You still get cards off of monsters you kill but instead of putting them into weapons/armor, you equip them onto your character. You have 5 card slots that are unlocked every 10 levels. The cards can have some pretty good stats on them.

You can also combine 5 cards to get a +1 card. I have not messed with this very much. More testing to come.

Challenges

This game has a neat system called Kafra Challenges. You need to start the challenge by accessing the challenge window. Once you have done that you can run around and complete said challenge (kill 14 whatever). This is a great way to get some extra experience, titles, money. Some challenges require points to start them.

Titles

Titles in this game give you stat bonuses. There are some pretty dang good ones out there.

Dungeons

There are a number of dungeons and raids in the game. There is also a dungeon finder to try to help you find a group faster. The dungeons are pretty entertaining and a little difficult.

Pandora Boxes

Monsters will randomly drop Pandora Boxes and Pandora Mallets. You use Mallets to open Boxes for some awesome loot. Each class has "Pandora Weapons" You can equip this after you change jobs. This weapons basically destroy everything up until level 50 gear. If you get boxes, open them and hopefully you get your weapon. Rings/necklaces/earrings/ornaments also drop from the boxes, crafting stuff etc etc. You can purchase Mallets from Kafra Service girls. They cost 1z (1 gold) per mallet.

Summary

Well I cant really think of anything else to put on here at this time.

In game name is Tselle. Message me if you want into the guild/party/good times/whatever.

-Thanks.

stream.php?streamuser=gbgaming
ghostbandit on

• Options
    Reserved

• Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    So how is the gameplay in RO2? Is it much like the clicky/grindfest of RO1, or have they made improvements?

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Its quite a large improvement. Very very quest oriented. I am lvl 29 and i have never had to sit in one spot and grind monsters for hours. Loot drops frequently, there are mounts you can get at level 15 for 10Z. Items look really good on characters. Its pretty darn entertaining.

I would add pictures and video, but im at work right now :S

ghostbandit on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Did they ever fix Vitality, because it was fucking worthless in the first iteration. Not that I'm going back. Getting a Priest above 99 Int was bad enough the first time.

• Options
    As far as im aware vitality just increases HP by 6. Ive been dropping it onto my Knight with my +% HP buff it works out.

• Options
    LostLost Registered User regular
    Interesting. Having put a billion hours into RO, I feel obligated to at least give it a shot. Downloadin' now.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The problem with the first was that the damage reduction was basically worthless. In most circumstances a 99 Agi Knight would outlive a 99 Vit Knight by a wide margin. I was just wondering if they ever addressed that.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Eh, damage reduction in the first got ridiculous once you had good enough gear. 99 Vit knights could walk through entire WoE pre-cast rooms and just giggle while chugging white pots. The problem was that the cards needed to do it were always super expensive and end game type cards. Agi tended to have a much easier times leveling but vit really shined end game imo. Even sins/sages/priests/rouges would stack vit for both pvp and pve content.

edit: Also, the Def stat played a much bigger role then the vit stat in terms of damage mitigation. Vit mostly made you HP skyrocket and at 100 base made you immune to some status effects. Having all +7 to +10 gear makes a huge difference in terms of damage mit.

Lost on
  • Options
    The stats in this game are very different than they were in RO 1. No attack speed increase, no DEX. It is basically just boiled down to more phys dmg, more parry, more mag dmg, more crit, more dodge.

Dumping 99 points might be viable here, but im not sure yet. Only been playing for a few days.

Also with the new card system its not quite as crazy as the first. I havent seen a card give anything other than +stats.

Improving gear is still in the game, it is pretty damn expensive to level your gear. I have failed but it only reduces the +X of the item by 1, you don't lose the item. You also cannot improve Pandora items.

• Options
    Oh, you can also get socketed gear and put runes in them. Or as a blacksmith you can craft rune hole punchers and socket your gear.

• Options
    Im online now if anyone wants to hit me up.

IGN: Tselle

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    It is only available to malaysia, viet, singapore and thailand?

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I have every expectation this will be terrible, but I installed it last night.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    It is only available to malaysia, viet, singapore and thailand?

Nope. I wouldn't have made the thread if it was :P

There is no IP block for America. If there are any IP blocks, i am not sure what it is.

ghostbandit on
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

If you happen to not hate the crap out of the game let me know lol. And if you have any questions i can help you out.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

If you happen to not hate the crap out of the game let me know lol. And if you have any questions i can help you out.

My main complaint with online gaming lately has been excessive grinds, so I installed a Korean grindfest. I wasn't thinking clearly, and was only remembering how much enjoyment I got from Ragnarok the first.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    How's the music? I remember reading that Yoko Kanno was pegged to do the soundtrack.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular

My main complaint with online gaming lately has been excessive grinds, so I installed a Korean grindfest. I wasn't thinking clearly, and was only remembering how much enjoyment I got from Ragnarok the first.

I assume alcohol was involved?

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    I really enjoy the music.

Honestly, its not nearly as grindy as Ragnarok 1, the dungeons are rather enjoyable. Like i said earlier its very quest driven. Kill these turn that in pick some flowers, do a few dungeons etc.

I have a thing for grindy games. I can understand if this isnt for everyone lol

• Options
    It seems alright so far. I hit level 23 pretty easily and will more then likely hit second job tonight sometime. Definitely less grindy then RO1, but then again it is hard to make a game more grindy then RO1. It's an ok timekiller when I don't feel like playing LoL or PoE.

Character is named LostRemix if anyone wants to shoot me a friend request.

• Options
    im currently at work. But when i get home i will friend invite/guild invite you if you want.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    i have fond memories of ro1, does this version also have people running around yelling 555 and no jam?

also as a priest can I heal monsters to doom those who try to ks me?

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Lol, well you cant get KSd, person that tags it first get it, and i do not believe you can heal monsters. But i also remember that from RO1

• Options
    So given theres only 3 servers on the list for OBT, I assume the game is separated by region or something? I noticed they don't even allow client download for the JP client atm, for example.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I might be interested in trying this. How big is the download for the entire game?

• Options
    The Scottish UnicornThe Scottish Unicorn CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I might check out RO2, tera online hasn't been all that interesting. Besides I enjoyed the first game a while back.

76561198004630058.png
  • Options
    Pick Freyja server if you are going to play. It is the "English" server. The entire game is roughly 5g i believe.
    I might check out RO2, tera online hasn't been all that interesting. Besides I enjoyed the first game a while back.

You should check it out. Its free its fun. No harm :)

• Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Hmmm, I really enjoyed the top down clickfest. I'll give this one a go sometime this weekend.

Edit: Ok there's enough nostalgia here for me to be hooked again.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    Asperio is pretty darn OP... Lv3 of that means pretty much every mob I fight/attack I do is a crit...

• Options
    I have a swordy, working on getting to knight. I pandora'd a greatsword and am now rethinking that. But then again Grand Cross is best cross.

Is it worth it to buy a bunch of mallets? I have my mount and am level 19, I have so many boxes and mallets almost never drop.

Oh and friend me up, MutsuIV.(in a throwaway guild right now)

• Options
    buy all the mallets!!!

• Options
    Buy the mallets if you have the Z. 1z gets to be a pretty worthless in a hurry and the pandora stuff makes you OP as hell for a long while. (plus you can get necks and rings and access which I still haven't seen any of except for pandora and I'm like level 36)

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Hmm so is there anything I can do with these pandora weps I can't use or trade? Vendor trash?

Edit: Yeah, opened up a bunch of boxes, got some nice accessories, wish I could put the claw I found on my thief. =(

Elementalor on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Giving this game a go tonight out of boredom, see how it is.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Hmm so is there anything I can do with these pandora weps I can't use or trade? Vendor trash?

Edit: Yeah, opened up a bunch of boxes, got some nice accessories, wish I could put the claw I found on my thief. =(

As far as I know just sell 'em. I got the green shield and 1h sword for my knight, but I've found tons of claws, spears, and staffs (including the blue versions of them.)

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Wish I had the patience to get to 25, I'm curious what Beastmasters look like and how they play, but the game is just too repetitive for me. I'm level 10 and have unlocked every single active skill my Archer can get before level 25 (further points just level them) and what they offer isn't mechanically nearly interesting enough to keep going for 15 more levels.
    Shame, because I love the music and seeing the enemies in 3d keeps making me go "eee! It's a Rocker!".

• Options
    Maintenance for 5hrs now eh. I guess now we know what Australians feel like --- as far as maintenance being during primetime :)

• Options
    edited February 2013
    I r sad. I don't know why, I assumed the time for maintenance was US based, haha.

Any opinions on must-haves for Knight skills? And how much vit I should actually get?

Elementalor on
  • Options
    Aura heal is worthless, don't put any points in it. I didn't put any points into Concentration because I want to tank and it makes you take extra damage. I have 1 point in everything else in the knight tree with plans to max both of the defence buffs on the right side, max grand cross, and max the last skill on the left side (shield cannon iirc). Any leftover points will go into whatever I feel like I guess. I'm shooting for 40 str, and an ever split of vit and agi (I think around 30ish)

Also yeah, the mechanics in this game are pretty simplistic from what I've seen. But it is much less grinding then RO1 so it has managed to keep my interest enough as a game to play when I'm bored.

• Options
    Thanks, I've been going 5-1 str-vit, I think I'll just forgo vit for now since it's kind of useless even with max shield buff. It sounds like GC isn't quite as awesome as it used to be since parry doesn't apply when you're using it.
    But yeah, looking at it now right side is pretty mandatory, but I think I'll go really heavy into shield skills and one point GC and see how I like it then. Doesn't sound like it'll be as cool as it was on my int crus.

I'm hoping they can increase the control's responsiveness since that's what I really loved about 1.