As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Americans: No Russian

PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion.Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
edited February 2013 in Social Entropy++
nZNhCFp.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C67PNebjsdY

An FX show about deep cover KGB comrades operating in America. It follows Soviet Heroes Elizabeth and Phillip Jennings (Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys) as they work towards the dissolution of the worst country in the world at a time when it's headed by the worst man in the world, Ronald Reagan. On the fascist side we have FBI Agent Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich) who recently got done with an extended undercover role in some sort of racist organization. Which is funny, because he's working for the FBI.

It airs Wednesdays at 10 pm and is streaming on Amazon and Itunes. Death to Reagan.

qHwrTaM.jpg

jkZziGc.png
Pharezon on

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    watchin thisssss

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    This show looks rad as fuck

What are my streaming options for it

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Man I hope they kill Reagan 8->

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    This show looks rad as fuck

What are my streaming options for it

Amazon and Itunes.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I really want to check this out

also mostly unrelated to that desire but Keri Russell is the dreamiest

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I have a really hard time believing this show could be good

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    I really want to check this out

also mostly unrelated to that desire but Comrade Keri Russell is the dreamiest

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    Fucking FX

With their Louies and It's Always Sunnys and Justifieds and Sons of Anarchys and The Americans

They are literally the only station that makes me sad I won't spring for cable

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    ronald reagan is already dead

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    Machwing wrote: »

italianspiderman.gif

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Machwing wrote: »

He needs to die again.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Fucking FX

With their Louies and It's Always Sunnys and Justifieds and Sons of Anarchys and The Americans

Plus Archer! And sadly unappreciated affairs like Terriers and Unsupervised! And stuff that I don't much care for but other people seem to enjoy like Wilfred and American Horror Story! The latter of which might actually end up being one of the most influential television dramas of our generation, given how it took a legitimately revolutionary tack with its second season and audiences rewarded it!

Also, John Landgraff is one of the most forthcoming, passionate network heads basically ever. He loves television in general, his network's shows in particular, and is trying his damnedest to make the television landscape a better place. It's so weird to have respect for a guy running a dang network, but he inspires it.

• Options
    Did you see the second episode, Pooro? I thought it was quite good!

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Fucking FX

Plus Archer! And sadly unappreciated affairs like Terriers and Unsupervised! And stuff that I don't much care for but other people seem to enjoy like Wilfred and American Horror Story! The latter of which might actually end up being one of the most influential television dramas of our generation, given how it took a legitimately revolutionary tack with its second season and audiences rewarded it!

Also, John Landgraff is one of the most forthcoming, passionate network heads basically ever. He loves television in general, his network's shows in particular, and is trying his damnedest to make the television landscape a better place. It's so weird to have respect for a guy running a dang network, but he inspires it.

Shit, I forgot to mention Archer

I just started watching it on Netflix, almost through with season two

Goddamn what a show, like it may be the most cleverly written comedy show I've seen since Arrested Development

Wilfred is alright

What did American Horror Story do, exactly? (I don't really care about horror, just curious)

• Options
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Did you see the second episode, Pooro? I thought it was quite good!

Not yet! It's sitting on my DVR at home

• Options
    alt post: Reagan is President?!

HA!

And who's his Vice President?

Jerry Lewis!?

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    I suppose Jane Wyman is the First Lady!

• Options
    edited February 2013
    What did American Horror Story do, exactly? (I don't really care about horror, just curious)

For its second season, it cut all ties to season one. Different setting, characters, everything. A few actors crossed over, but playing entirely new people.

For a TV show, that's nuts. Having each season act as a standalone, longform story, with the only connective tissue being aesthetic and loosely thematic. It's the sort of format that would be amazing applied to all sorts of genres, if it's allowed to take off.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    Oh hey

They did what fucking Heroes was supposed to do and the thing that probably would not have completely fucked it up

Awesome

• Options
    SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    This looks rad and that Trailer is awesome.

More things should use Eminence Front it is a very under-recognised song and makes everything cooler.

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Options
    Oh, in an actual post about The Americans - had my beefs with the pilot, but overall, I thought it was great. And had just impeccable music. The cold open was (mostly) brilliant, and a big part of that was the perfect usage of Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk"

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular

For its second season, it cut all ties to season one. Different setting, characters, everything. A few actors crossed over, but playing entirely new people.

For a TV show, that's nuts. Having each season act as a standalone, longform story, with the only connective tissue being aesthetic and loosely thematic. It's the sort of format that would be amazing applied to all sorts of genres, if it's allowed to take off.

shit

this is what i've wanted from TV shows for a long time

way to go, fx

• Options
    Vann Diras wrote: »

shit

this is what i've wanted from TV shows for a long time

way to go, fx

Yeah. Even though the show ain't my cup of tea, and I think Ryan Murphy is a knob and a half, it's a pretty big deal.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Ah man, they're starting to make shows about the junk that I grew up in? It's official, I'm old.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    WEAVER'S PARENTS WERE RUSSIAN SPIES, PASS IT ON

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Eww.

Edit: +1 on thread title.

Skylark on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular

WEAVER'S PARENTS WERE PRUSSIAN FLIES, PASS IT ON

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »

WEAVER'S PANTS ARE ON FIRE, PASS IT ON

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular

WEAVER'S PARENTS WERE PLUSHOPHILES, PASS IT ON

broken image link
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    A friend from my old neighborhood said they were screwing up traffic for weeks filming this there (Queens, NY) so I'm curious if I recognize buildings or something, but haven't had a chance to sit down and watch it.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular

BEAVER PAYMENTS ARE OAKEN AND DRY, PASS IT ON.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

SKINNER SAYS THE TEACHERS WILL CRACK ANY MINUTE, PASS IT ON

• Options
    I think my favorite scene of episode 2 was
    Stan and the caviar. What a great character moment.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    Watched the Pilot last night, gonna watch the second tonight.

My tv box shit itself last week.

But I really enjoyed this and really think Keri Russel is attractive and the premise was good.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Okay I need to see this

• Options
    Yes to both those posts.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    My dad has watched the first two episodes of this and given it a cautious recommendation, which is some pretty strong stuff from him on anything related to this subject matter

• Options
    MrDoctorProfessorMrDoctorProfessor Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Fearghaill wrote: »

SKINNER SAYS THE TEACHERS WILL CRACK ANY MINUTE, PASS IT ON

PURPLE MONKEY DISHWASHER

For some reason this phrase has lasted with me throughout my entire teen and adult life. Ive added it in everytime ive ever had to do some sort of "telephone game"

MrDoctorProfessor on
    noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    My dad has watched the first two episodes of this and given it a cautious recommendation, which is some pretty strong stuff from him on anything related to this subject matter

Oh yeah? Did he have any commentary to offer?

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

Oh yeah? Did he have any commentary to offer?

We just spoke on the phone briefly so not much. Your basic "highly dramatized and unrealistic but entertaining nonetheless." (He's a little lacking in imagination so he often gets kinda hung up "that could never happen"-type complaints)

If you're looking for any deeper commentary on the nature of the Cold War or the sort of work that these people were involved in, I've nothing to give you