As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Do you recycle? I don't even have the option. (Also incentivizing "green" behavior)

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    I love being the recycle nazi at my office. I've found making little displays of "things that aren't recyclable" help a lot to prevent people from throwing wax paper cups or frozen dinner boxes into the recycling. However, I'm having a little war with the facilities guy who thinks these displays are not professional. We don't really have customers in the office so I don't see showing people how to recycle is such a bad thing.

Plus I'm tempted to go out and buy a bunch of coffee mugs so people will use those instead of those darn paper cups.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I love being the recycle nazi at my office. I've found making little displays of "things that aren't recyclable" help a lot to prevent people from throwing wax paper cups or frozen dinner boxes into the recycling. However, I'm having a little war with the facilities guy who thinks these displays are not professional. We don't really have customers in the office so I don't see showing people how to recycle is such a bad thing.

Plus I'm tempted to go out and buy a bunch of coffee mugs so people will use those instead of those darn paper cups.

If your office is like mine, the biggest problem with mugs will be poor facilities to clean them. I've heard that if you leave a dirty mug out the cleaning staff will clean them, but that sounds pretty unfair to me. I am thinking about making the switch to a mug though. . .

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

If your office is like mine, the biggest problem with mugs will be poor facilities to clean them. I've heard that if you leave a dirty mug out the cleaning staff will clean them, but that sounds pretty unfair to me. I am thinking about making the switch to a mug though. . .

Does your office have a sink? Do you have the capability of operating a sponge and bringing in some soap/having your office adminstrator/intern bring some in?

Congratulations, you can wash a mug today!

Lh96QHG.png
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

Get a travel mug. Take it with you everyday. If you fill it up before you leave the house, you have good coffee to drink.

Besides, coffee is self-sterilizing. Rinse it out at the end of the day to take care of residue and you are fine.

I seriously can't comprehend someone who can't just rinse their cup out...and don't say you don't have a sink, because there are sinks in the bathroom.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    So... you're not using something to break down minerals in your dishwasher, got it.

That's all that is by the way, minerals in the water. Hence water softeners. You should look into something for that if it's a big issue for you. Easiest one is getting Jet Dry and slapping it in the water softener receptacle of your dishwasher once a month.

Tried Jet Dry. Wasn't thrilled with the results (also, my detergent supposedly had a "powerball" that was supposed to be a rinse agent) but this new one seems to work better.

'Finish' is probably the worst of the soaps to use on your dishes. That powerball doesn't do beans.

You should honest to goodness consider attaching a water softener to your home though. If hard water is producing spots on your dishes, you'll be better off. Plus showers won't dry out skin anymore and your wife will love that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    All it takes to clean a coffee mug is a quick rinse of water. There's no need for anything more unless the coffee's been in there for days or you just absolutely hate coffee stains in mugs.

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

Get a travel mug. Take it with you everyday. If you fill it up before you leave the house, you have good coffee to drink.

Besides, coffee is self-sterilizing. Rinse it out at the end of the day to take care of residue and you are fine.

I seriously can't comprehend someone who can't just rinse their cup out...and don't say you don't have a sink, because there are sinks in the bathroom.

There are sinks in the pantry. The real problem is that we only have terrible paper towels (and there is no way I am using a communal sponge) but like I said, this thread is making me consider switching. I even have some mugs in my office already.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

There are sinks in the pantry. The real problem is that we only have terrible paper towels (and there is no way I am using a communal sponge) but like I said, this thread is making me consider switching. I even have some mugs in my office already.

Well you really do just need to rinse it out regularly and you'll be fine. Maybe take it home once a month and run it through your dishwasher.

Lh96QHG.png
    Pay the extra 20 cents to get better paper towels. Buy it in bulk and slap them in the basement like I do. I spend like $20 and I have enough paper towels to last me a year. Like 48 pack of them.

Put your sponge through the dishwasher or if it's microwavable zap it for 1 minute. Or use a dishcloth.

Seriously what the fuck man. I feel guilty about my old recycling habit but that's downright snooty/lazy.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I clean my mug with the crappy paper towel dispenser paper towels. Terrible paper towels work just fine to wash a mug.

bowen wrote: »
    Pay the extra 20 cents to get better paper towels. Buy it in bulk and slap them in the basement like I do. I spend like $20 and I have enough paper towels to last me a year. Like 48 pack of them.

Put your sponge through the dishwasher or if it's microwavable zap it for 1 minute. Or use a dishcloth.

Seriously what the fuck man. I feel guilty about my old recycling habit but that's downright snooty/lazy.

At home I have dish towels, and am not worried about my sponges. I was talking about the office. But I'm sold, and am going to go make a cup of tea in my "World's best boss" mug from the office now :)

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

my coworker brings his own sponge to clean his dishes with. ain't no shame in that.

Washed the mug. It was. . . surprisingly easy. Thanks, thread!

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Speaking of incentivizing green behavior, I don't know how generalizable this infographic is (n= 'nearly 200') but it sure is interesting:

http://cleantechnica.com/2012/03/28/9-suprising-things-about-people-who-go-solar-infographic/
    infographic-surprising-things-about-solar-people.png

74% of the people polled went solar primarily to save money, not to be green.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Feral wrote: »
    Speaking of incentivizing green behavior, I don't know how generalizable this infographic is (n= 'nearly 200') but it sure is interesting:

http://cleantechnica.com/2012/03/28/9-suprising-things-about-people-who-go-solar-infographic/

The big problem with solar is how strange they look. I always feel bad for the people who live nextdoor to the house with the solar panels, as I suspect it makes it harder to sell your house. For my part, we didn't want to live next to a house like that when we were looking.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Five year pay-off sounds sketchy to me. My understanding was that solar at home takes quite a while to pay-off.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013

Is there some scientifically defensible reason for not using a communal sponge? We have these things in our office and I can't imagine that they would really grow a lot of bacteria or anything like that:

Libman-00030-rw-155283-220942.jpg

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Boooo Photovoltaics, gimme solar thermal power! Fill Nevada with mirrors as far as the eye can see.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • SaammielSaammiel Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

Is there some scientifically defensible reason for not using a communal sponge? We have these things in our office and I can't imagine that they would really grow a lot of bacteria or anything like that:

Sponges are bacteria magnets. They are moist and you use them to clean food off things much of the time. On this, I think Space is perfectly reasonable. At a work site you have no control really over how often sponges are changed, or what they are used on. You can clean them by microwaving them for 4 minutes, but I don't think expecting someone to waste 4+ minutes on sanitizing a communal sponge whenever they want to use it is really realistic.

Saammiel on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

To be fair it isn't either or.

edited February 2013
    The biggest things for bacteria/mold:

Damp
    Surface area
    Dark

As long as you have damp, anything will grow bacteria short of Crystal Light. Sponges tend to be the worst offenders for obvious reasons, tons of porous surface area, they tend to always be damp, and usually are stored somewhere inbetween dark and light.

bowen on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    Five year pay-off sounds sketchy to me. My understanding was that solar at home takes quite a while to pay-off.

10 years is a high end estimate, but part of it is that solar panel costs have been decreasing slowly over the last 10 years, while electricity prices have been fluctuating but mostly increasing.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular

People who do it seem to be those people who are generally "first adopters" of anything else. Men with a good(but not incredible) amount of disposable income and a love of new gadgets.

BSoB wrote: »

People who do it seem to be those people who are generally "first adopters" of anything else. Men with a good(but not incredible) amount of disposable income and a love of new gadgets.

Right, that's the sense I got too.

That said, there might be a bit of sampling bias in the infographic.

Knight_ wrote: »
    Boooo Photovoltaics, gimme solar thermal power! Fill Nevada with mirrors as far as the eye can see.

Doesn't Nevada already have the cleanest power in the US thanks to the dam?

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular

Is there some scientifically defensible reason for not using a communal sponge?

Some people in my office are so lazy (since the kitchen here isn't their home) that they leave mess where ever they go. I simply use my own sponge (and keep it at my desk) for me and anyone in my department (they keep stuff clean) to use. It's no big deal.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

Certainly possible, but good solar based power generation needs huge land area and bright sun, two things which Nevada and associated desert states have plenty of. Just because they're already doing well with the Hoover Dam doesn't mean they can't do more.

Power demands in those areas line up very well with when solar outputs peak power as well, since AC is one of the primary consumers of electricity in hot environments.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg

Certainly possible, but good solar based power generation needs huge land area and bright sun, two things which Nevada and associated desert states have plenty of. Just because they're already doing well with the Hoover Dam doesn't mean they can't do more.

Power demands in those areas line up very well with when solar outputs peak power as well, since AC is one of the primary consumers of electricity in hot environments.

For the record, central air conditioning is the greatest invention of all time. Amazingly, my electric bills stay the same in the summer and winter, despite using the A/C a lot (my house is all electric).

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

For the record, central air conditioning is the greatest invention of all time. Amazingly, my electric bills stay the same in the summer and winter, despite using the A/C a lot (my house is all electric).

That would be because you are on a billing system where you pay one-twelfth of average annual usage every month, instead of paying actual usage.

DarkPrimus on
  • Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular

10 years is a high end estimate, but part of it is that solar panel costs have been decreasing slowly over the last 10 years, while electricity prices have been fluctuating but mostly increasing.

I thought it took a long time as well, but I think I am confusing breaking even financially and breaking even energy wise. Almost positive it still takes 20+ years for a silicon based PV to produce as much energy as it took to create it.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

That would be because you are on a billing system where you pay one-twelfth of average annual usage every month, instead of paying actual usage.

I'm actually not. The cost just winds up being roughly the same. All my appliances and my a/c/heat pump are very energy efficient.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    offices down here are amazing.

especially the one i'm going to be working in.

2 microwaves, 2 dishwasher drawers, they have to provide you with coffee/tea/milo, as well as mugs and plates and bowls and cutlery. there's an entire fridge full of milk and another for food. we get fresh fruit every day. Also there are 2 electric grills/sandwich presses. oh, and a hot water zip line. So that there is just boom, instant boiling hot water for tea. plus an espresso machine.

Everything but the fruit and the espresso machine are standard fare down here. having a drink station and the zip line are required. it. is. fantastic.

everything is done as close to electronically as possible. There is only direct deposit for your paycheck as anything else requires paper. every communication is through email and the printer is used very very sparingly. Recycling is a thing that you just do, it's a habit.

ecco and I have managed to, just by recycling and not composting, put out only 1 60L bag of rubbish every 2-3weeks. recycling is picked up every 2 weeks, rubbish every week. We use our reusable bags at the store. There's one store where they charge you 10cents per plastic bag, but you can grab any of the empty cardboard boxes around and use those. hell i even have some shopping bags that i've crocheted that we use.

it's not that hard. it takes about as much conscious effort as driving a car.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

I'm actually not. The cost just winds up being roughly the same. All my appliances and my a/c/heat pump are very energy efficient.

You have an electric furnace? Or baseboard heaters all over your home?

You have an electric furnace? Or baseboard heaters all over your home?

Forced hot air with a heat pump. I love it because no baseboards or radiators. In a future house I would accept baseboards, but never radiators. Also, I would not ever buy a place that didn't have central a/c.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

The big problem with solar is how strange they look. I always feel bad for the people who live nextdoor to the house with the solar panels, as I suspect it makes it harder to sell your house. For my part, we didn't want to live next to a house like that when we were looking.

That's your big problem with it. I've never heard that complaint from anybody about solar until now.

I wouldn't give a shit and in fact would probably think it was rad.

I wouldn't either. Window based ACs are terrible, though are better than a clogged central a/c.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    A little late, but I like Cascade packs for the dishwasher. Seems to rinse clear. Wash my barware and knives by hand of course.

We've got hot water baseboard heat in our unit, with an in-wall A/C unit. Heat is fine, A/C not so great. Another unit installed an outside A/C; unit sits on their balcony with a pipe running back into the unit. That'd be nice as this thing is super loud.

MichaelLC on
    So It Goes wrote: »

That's your big problem with it. I've never heard that complaint from anybody about solar until now.

To each their own. My realtor actually admitted that houses with it or next to it have a harder time selling, at least out here.

• MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    We need a whole new ranking system to describe 'problems' that go way beyond 'first world' and almost into parody.

• zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

To each their own. My realtor actually admitted that houses with it or next to it have a harder time selling, at least out here.

Ever think it's just because it's a $20-30k minimum improvement, pricing it higher than the rest of the neighborhood.

Also, I think you are just making shit up, because you said you suspect earlier, yet now you have some supposed realtor who told you it makes a difference.