As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Song of Ice and Fire, BOOK AND TV AND ESPECIALLY BOOK SPOILERS INSIDE

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »
    Yea, some serious catharsis happens in the third book/season.. I need to get around to reading a DwD, especially since I've been reading that sample chapter from Winter (I don't really know the specifics of Theon and a lot of the Tyrion dynamic stuff, so basically everything from ADwD, but I have it sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.. Just so many other good books, and I know I'll be hungry for more after watching the show for a bit...)

Here is a tip from one GRRM fan to another. Go in expecting a "filler" book but GRRM style and not Jordan style. You should be happy with it. I was.

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Also the chapter where Dany buys her slaves with Drogon. On my re-read, it is painfully obvious how shit goes down, but the first time, I just felt overwhelmed at Dany's decision. I thought everything was going to go poorly.

Then she fucks shit up in the most awesome way.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote:
    that scene that should end S04E10?

Hoping they can convince MIchelle Fairley to allow them to not put her name in the credits at the start.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Man I just got the Tyrion/Jamie interaction in the dungeons. It was just as sad the second time around.

• MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Yea, some serious catharsis happens in the third book/season.. I need to get around to reading a DwD, especially since I've been reading that sample chapter from Winter (I don't really know the specifics of Theon and a lot of the Tyrion dynamic stuff, so basically everything from ADwD, but I have it sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.. Just so many other good books, and I know I'll be hungry for more after watching the show for a bit...)

Here is a tip from one GRRM fan to another. Go in expecting a "filler" book but GRRM style and not Jordan style. You should be happy with it. I was.

Yea, this is primarily why it's still sitting unread.. It'll be good when I'm hungry for more this Summer probably, especially when there's a 6th book date firmly known (hopefully). I'll definitely enjoy it just for fleshing out some of the Estos stuff, and the boring Daeny romance/intrigue (i have a feeling this will probably be one of the parts that the show will seem better than I've heard it reads, but since I'm not expecting much, maybe I'll like it.)

Man I just got the Tyrion/Jamie interaction in the dungeons. It was just as sad the second time around.

I'm wondering how big Tyrion's answer Re: Joff is gonna bite him in the ass when he finally reunites with Westros.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

I'm wondering how big Tyrion's answer Re: Joff is gonna bite him in the ass when he finally reunites with Westros.

In some respects, it shouldn't matter. Most people's minds are made up, and Tyrion wasn't able to use the same trick twice.
    Okay, real spoiler:
    His champion died...he lost his trial by combat...he's been found guilty.

Alternatively:
    It won't matter at all if he's riding a dragon. :P

Oh, and speaking of tension, I would argue there's one place where there's no indication that anything is amiss, and then it all goes to hell: when Ned gets captured.

I can see Peter's face change in my mind when Jamie tells Tyrion of Tysha. It should be a heartbreaking scene.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

Yeah, I saw that. Not quite sure what to make of it. My suspicion is that GRRM might be signing off on a Dunk and Egg or Robert's Rebellion adaptation, having realized he won't finish the books in time for the show to catch up, so some padding will be needed. We'll see, though.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    Fakefaux wrote: »
    Jragghen wrote: »

Yeah, I saw that. Not quite sure what to make of it. My suspicion is that GRRM might be signing off on a Dunk and Egg or Robert's Rebellion adaptation, having realized BUCKETS OF DELICIOUS HBO MONEY

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    via winteriscoming, spoiler tv released the episode summary for ep 301, apparently they're reliable
    –Episode #21: Jon is brought before Mance Rayder, the King Beyond the Wall, while the Night’s Watch survivors retreat south. In King’s Landing, Tyrion asks for his reward, Littlefinger offers Sansa a way out, and Cersei hosts a dinner for the royal family. Arya runs into the Brotherhood Without Banners. Dany sails into Slaver’s Bay. (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss; directed by Daniel Minahan)

Arya meets the brotherhood already? Or maybe just her scenes just end with her meeting them, or it's just the scene of her and the gang running into some members on the road.

I wonder when they're going to get her to start going more psycho killer. It'll be kind of a shame if she ends up doing all her killing with the Hound, it's not really his fault.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Didn't they introduce
    Dontos last year in the premiere? Couldn't get him back so just adjusted things so that non-surprise is straight forward? Not a terrible change, but they introduced him so they should use him, no?

I thiiink I heard that Dontos will not be returning. I don't know for sure, but with how many damn characters they're going to be dealing with this season, I could certainly understand the desire to cut out a dude who's not very interesting and just ends up dying anyway. Plus it gives the whores Littlefinger something to do this season

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Didn't they introduce
    Dontos last year in the premiere? Couldn't get him back so just adjusted things so that non-surprise is straight forward? Not a terrible change, but they introduced him so they should use him, no?
    They already used him by showing how smart Sansa has gotten with manipulating Joffrey.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I think it's more likely GRRM enjoys making TV shows.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    via winteriscoming, spoiler tv released the episode summary for ep 301, apparently they're reliable
    –Episode #21: Jon is brought before Mance Rayder, the King Beyond the Wall, while the Night’s Watch survivors retreat south. In King’s Landing, Tyrion asks for his reward, Littlefinger offers Sansa a way out, and Cersei hosts a dinner for the royal family. Arya runs into the Brotherhood Without Banners. Dany sails into Slaver’s Bay. (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss; directed by Daniel Minahan)

Arya meets the brotherhood already? Or maybe just her scenes just end with her meeting them, or it's just the scene of her and the gang running into some members on the road.

I wonder when they're going to get her to start going more psycho killer. It'll be kind of a shame if she ends up doing all her killing with the Hound, it's not really his fault.
    Rather surprised there's no Jaime/Brienne or Robb/Catelyn in the premiere, considering how big their stories will be this season.

There still might be, that's probably only summing up the major scenes.

In some respects, it shouldn't matter. Most people's minds are made up, and Tyrion wasn't able to use the same trick twice.
    Okay, real spoiler:
    His champion died...he lost his trial by combat...he's been found guilty.

Alternatively:
    It won't matter at all if he's riding a dragon. :P

Oh, and speaking of tension, I would argue there's one place where there's no indication that anything is amiss, and then it all goes to hell: when Ned gets captured.

The only big thing that I was meaning was Jamie.. That was specifically what I was referring to, since I would think Jamie would still have affection for Tyrion if he hadn't told him what he did.

So, what's all this then?

A 15 year old actor cast for this season less than two months before it comes out? Maybe we'll get Edric Storm after all.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    So, what's all this then?

A 15 year old actor cast for this season less than two months before it comes out? Maybe we'll get Edric Storm after all.

eh...

My understanding is, they've long since stopped filming. So if they're going to drop this guy in, it's going to be very, very strange.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Most likely just someone that filmed but hadn't been announced/discovered yet.

edited February 2013
    yeah, though the wording is kind of bad

also, that site has a list of the histories:
    Greyjoy Rebellion - three separate tellings by Robb Stark (Richard Madden), Theon Greyjoy (Alfie Allen) and Stannis Baratheon (Stephen Dillane)
    Robert’s Rebellion - four separate tellings by Stannis Baratheon, Davos Seaworth (Liam Cunningham), Margaery Tyrell (Natalie Dormer), and Catelyn Stark (Michelle Fairley)
    House Tyrell - narrated by Margaery Tyrell
    House Greyjoy - narrated by Theon and Yara Greyjoy (Gemma Whelan)
    House Clegane - narrated by Sandor Clegane (Rory McCann)
    The Free Folk - narrated by Ygritte (Rose Leslie)
    The Night’s Watch - narrated by Ygritte
    Dragonstone - narrated by Stannis Baratheon
    Harrenhal - narrated by Catelyn Stark
    The Free Cities - narrated by Jorah Mormont (Iain Glen)
    Qarth - narrated by Xaro Xhoan Daxos (Nonso Anozie)
    The Drowned God - narrated by Yara Greyjoy
    The Alchemist Guild - narrated by Wisdom Hallyne (Roy Dotrice)
    The Warlocks - narrated by Xaro Xhoan Daxos

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a2TQHjo3xzQ

edit: that missing 'a' has been bugging me

Tamin on
    Is Pod already cast?

Icemopper wrote: »
    Is Pod already cast?

yeah, he was in season 2.

Lady Olenna and Blackfish were cast well.

Tamin wrote: »
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Is Pod already cast?

yeah, he was in season 2.

Ah thanks. I haven't seen season 2 yet.

You know, considering what the White Walkers look like in the show, I find the Night's King story a little harder to swallow.

edited February 2013
    http://www.youtube .com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a2TQHjo3xzQ

You know, considering what the White Walkers look like in the show, I find the Night's King story a little harder to swallow.

I don't. We've seen two major types (the "warriors" from the first episode, and the "leader" in 2x10); it seems reasonable to assume there are more types.

Also, magic. Pretty easy to claim that she was mind-controlling him in some fashion; or even glamouring herself to look more human.

edit: we've seen glamours used by The Faceless Men (well, imo) and that guy in A Dance With Dragons.

Tamin on
    Looks like we won't get the trailer for another two weeks.

• Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular

Hey it happened thousands of years before the series and the events are lost to time.

Maybe the night king was ass ugly too and couldn't do any better.

Called it.

In other news, Wendel Manderley has been confirmed to show up in season 3. I look forward to the Manderley story-arc playing out in future seasons. Anybody care for pie?

sweet

I've been hoping for a Dunk and Egg production since season 1 aired.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Called it.

In other news, Wendel Manderley has been confirmed to show up in season 3. I look forward to the Manderley story-arc playing out in future seasons. Anybody care for pie?

I realize that this is a huge pipe dream, but I would absolutely love if Stephen Fry played Wyman Manderly. He's not fat enough, but there's no one else in my mind who could pull off the mix of dignity, comedy, gravitas, humbleness and ruthlessness that the character requires.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    The trick with Wyman is that he should initially come across as a buffoon. Gluttonous, cowardly, a sad excuse for a lord. Then you suddenly realize he quite smart, loyal to the Starks, and that he really knows how to get medieval on your ass. That reveal hinges on the reader initially writing him off as a waste of space.

Yeah, as much as I'd love to see Stephen Fry in GoT, having a known actor playing Manderly would really ruin a lot of the surprise. He needs to seem like he's just another random shitty lord

• DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    That's the artist they used for the illustrations in the ASOIAF board game.

Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
    That interpretation of Melisandre is too young. Otherwise :^:

• Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    I would love to see show Jamie doing the pose that Jamie is doing in one of those pictures

Great stuff

This discussion has been closed.