As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PA Comic] Friday, February 8, 2013 - Age Of Majority

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited February 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub

• Options
    Sgt.Big_BubbaloolaSgt.Big_Bubbaloola That's Mr to you! Everywhere man....Registered User regular
    This comic amuses me and depresses me greatly in equal (whiskey) measure.

Well gosh, I suppose I might as well settle in for a nice cuppa ...... this is gonna be good!
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    "No, no. It's just us."

Makes it seem so lonely in the room.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Do "the kids" today really not grasp that it's like, possible to play a game offline?

I guess mario kart does kind of naturally seem like the kind of thing you'd play online though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I like this one, just recently my oldest son has started to play with my old Super Nintendo. It's the same one I bought for myself when I was a kid after saving up all my christmas and birthday money.

Its held up well, and it's awesome seeing something I enjoyed so much get passed to a new generation.

• Options
    AsharadAsharad Registered User regular
    I had this exact conversation, except for the joke, with my seven year old.

Great comic.

• Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    God this comic hits home. People being born and growing up unable to imagine a world before the internet.

I'm going to tell my children that all games they play are against actual people online. Maybe it will raise their self esteem until reality inevitably comes crashing down onto them.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    TheOtherHorsemanTheOtherHorseman Registered User regular
    Do "the kids" today really not grasp that it's like, possible to play a game offline?

He seems to get that it is possible, asking if they are playing against the computer. What he doesn't get is that they'd have to.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Eww, ugly smelly US Super Nintendo.
    Seriously, why did they think redesigning it like that was a good idea?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    InXplotchInXplotch Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I remember pointing this out when the original gameboy brick turned twenty one. It's weird to realize how important internet has become to video games, when it only became a thing maybe 10 or so years ago.

InXplotch on
    PSN: InXplotch
    ... My, what a boring Signature.
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I've always been fond of the US Super Nintendo's design. It kinda reminds me of the Famicom, only purple and gray, rather than brownish red and gray.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Having only been seriously exposed to the U.S. Super Nintendo, I love the design. It's really the most iconic design to me, even though the Nintendo may have been more groundbreaking.

From my view, the SNES also demonstrated something that Nintendo seems to have forgotten. The game launched with Super Mario World, which is one of the greatest games of all time, and was just groundbreaking in so many ways. If you had no other games, Super Mario World would still be justification for having and playing your SNES.

Nintendo has sort of dropped that off in some ways, they launch the hardware and wait for the games to follow. There's no launch day game for any of the systems that I know could hold me over for literal years in the same way.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Super Nintendo is still the best console ever made.

Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV and VI, Mario Kart, and a bunch of other timeless classics.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    InXplotch wrote: »
    I remember pointing this out when the original gameboy brick turned twenty one. It's weird to realize how important internet has become to video games, when it only became a thing maybe 10 or so years ago.

You can actually apply that to all of human civilization. There's still a lot of places without it, but especially with the rise of mobile smart phones and solid wireless technology, the accessibility of everything is growing by leaps and bounds.

Just sucks that so many people are assholes online. And no, I'm not just talking about Xbox Live players.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Green DreamGreen Dream Registered User regular
    In my mind, this comic has a different title.

"Time Trials"

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    This comic is fantastic. And adorable :D

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    CandymancerCandymancer Registered User regular
    You don't want to drink and Kart. One moment you're just having a good time, but then before you know it you're driving on rainbows and seeing dinosaurs.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Gabe's Super Nintendo sitting in the closet? For shame!

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Now I want to go dig my SNES out of my parents' attic.

I never had an NES like all my friends, just a Game Boy. I wanted that Super Nintendo SO BAD, so I could play games in color, on the big TV. I had been saving up money for SO LONG, all my birthday money and christmas money and selling cupcakes in after school bake sales. There would be candy sales at the school and I'd really want some M&M's or something, but I always passed because I knew it would put my farther from my goal. I finally gathered up the $150 sometime in November... and then found out it actually cost $200... I was heartbroken. I thought I would never come up with that extra $50. That Super Nintendo would never be mine.

Imagine my surprise when, on Christmas morning after opening up all my presents, my parents told me to go look behind the couch... And there was this big sturdy box and inside was the only thing I really wanted that year. If you could have bottled that sheer joy you'd be a billionaire right now.

I didn't buy a lot of games, but I rented them like crazy from the Blockbuster Video next town over. I remember renting Jurassic Park and announcing that it was just the best game ever... and then the next month Super Empire Strikes back released and THAT became just the best game ever. That Christmas, both those games were under the tree because my mom had immediately gone out and bought Jurassic Park when she heard how much I loved it, and when I liked SESB even more, that was a no-brainer too.

So what I'm saying here is, that SNES was awesome, and my mom & dad were the best.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    Floor penis

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man...I feel so bad that I threw out my SNES a couple months ago. Well, at least I still have the games so maybe in 8 years (OHGOOOOD) I might buy a brand new one for my kid.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Super Nintendo is still the best console ever made.

Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV and VI, Mario Kart, and a bunch of other timeless classics.

This is solid fact. No one denies this.

• Options
    Unfortunately the batteries of most of my SNES games are just about dead now. 2 years ago I dug out my copy of Lufia, only to find out that all of my savegames were gone (including the one with all my characters at level 99) :cry:

• Options
    comrade904comrade904 Registered User regular
    Ok so check it, first I was gonna point out that he's losing to his son, but then I realized that it was not easy to put in words... Whats the protocol on this?

Do I say "Hey, anyone notice Mike is losing to Gabe?" However, the Penny Arcade Gabe has been around longer than the real life Gabe that seems odd, makes it seem like Mike's Son's name is Mike, or that Gabe in the comic is named Mike. Neither is accurate

Do I say "Hey anyone notice Gabe Jr. is beating Gabe?" This seems like it's probably "more" accurate but still something still seems off about it.

Alternatively I could say "Hey anyone notice Gabe's son is beating him?" This seems the most honest but a little detached from the characters.

Apparently I only have space in my head for one world or the other, when you try to combine both my head explodes... Good stuffs

• Options
    marsiliesmarsilies Registered User regular
    Maz- wrote: »
    Unfortunately the batteries of most of my SNES games are just about dead now. 2 years ago I dug out my copy of Lufia, only to find out that all of my savegames were gone (including the one with all my characters at level 99) :cry:
    You can replace the battery:
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Replacing-a-CR2032-snes-cart-battery/

• Options
    marsilies wrote: »

I think if I try that I'm gonna end up, like, setting myself on fire or opening a portal to a parallel dimension rather than replacing the battery.

• Options
    MagnumCTMagnumCT Registered User regular
    marsilies wrote: »

I think if I try that I'm gonna end up, like, setting myself on fire or opening a portal to a parallel dimension rather than replacing the battery.

For real. Any time I look for a solution to a game-related problem and the explanation starts with, "you'll need a soldering iron," I figure I'm better off going outside to watch birds or skip stones down by the crick.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    When Chrono Trigger came out I wanted that game so fucking bad. I rented it and got maybe 1/3 of the way through it... just beat Magus and wound up in 75,000 BC. But there was a savegame on the cart right before the final boss and oh my god these characters are all so high level how much of this game IS THERE...?

None of the stores around me were carrying it and it was 4 months to my birthday and I couldn't find it anywhere and I was freaking out because this game was everything I wanted in an RPG and I needed to know what happened!!

So I called up a stationary store in the next town that sometimes had a couple SNES games for sale, and persuaded them to special order one copy of Chrono Trigger for me. It took a week to come in, I was calling them every day to see if the delivery was made. Every day at school was non-stop anticipation, like it's your birthday and you know you just have to get through that one day til you can get home and all go out to [the roller rink/McDonald's/the arcade] and have the biggest party EVER. And every day, sorry, it's not in yet, and I go to bed dejected and yet hopeful that, surely, tomorrow will be the day.

Until it was. It finally came in, and that afternoon I rode my bike ten fucking miles to this store and paid sixty dollars for Chrono Trigger and it was worth every goddamn penny. I played it relentlessly, all day and night. I played it the next morning before school. At lunch period I walked fifteen minutes home and fifteen minutes back just so I could play it for the ten minutes in between while scarfing down a lukewarm hot pocket.

And those ten minutes were beautiful, because they were the ten minutes where you save Lucca's mom from getting crippled in that accident, and jesus christ I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

No other game before or since has come close.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    This comic really benefits from the switch to higher resolution.

And I will throw out any other console before I throw out the SNES.

• Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    When I was 10 to 12 years old, I was a vehement Sega fanboy who disdained the SNES. Until my friend let me start a new game of Final Fantasy IV (2 US) on his and introduced me to the wonderful world of RPGs.

By the time I was 13 I had scrapped together enough money mowing yards and doing chores for neighbors to pay for half of an SNES, which was my parents' arrangement that if I wanted to buy video games I had to pay for half of them myself.

I was then the proud owner of a Super Nintendo and a Sega Genesis and realized the joy of being a multiplatform gamer and rented Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound and other great RPGs on my SNES, while playing more action oriented games like Gunstar Heroes, Rocket Knight Adventures, Streets of Rage on my Genesis.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Still got my mega drive. It comes out once a year for the annual Sonic marathon

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Having only been seriously exposed to the U.S. Super Nintendo, I love the design. It's really the most iconic design to me, even though the Nintendo may have been more groundbreaking.

From my view, the SNES also demonstrated something that Nintendo seems to have forgotten. The game launched with Super Mario World, which is one of the greatest games of all time, and was just groundbreaking in so many ways. If you had no other games, Super Mario World would still be justification for having and playing your SNES.

Nintendo has sort of dropped that off in some ways, they launch the hardware and wait for the games to follow. There's no launch day game for any of the systems that I know could hold me over for literal years in the same way.

I thought New Super Mario U was a decent analogue to Super Mario World, personally, but to each their own.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    good comic

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    i finally traded in my N64 a few months ago because of an apartment move, but i wasn't too sad to let that go.

my SNES though...damn, i'm still sad i had to consign it to electronic recycling land.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    Man, I don't know how to explain the pre-internet world to kids. "You mean you just had computers that didn't do anything?"

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Lux wrote: »
    Man, I don't know how to explain the pre-internet world to kids. "You mean you just had computers that didn't do anything?"

I prefer to explain the dawning of the internet to kids by using the classic Ghostwriter episodes, "Max Mouse."

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    When Chrono Trigger came out I wanted that game so fucking bad. I rented it and got maybe 1/3 of the way through it... just beat Magus and wound up in 75,000 BC. But there was a savegame on the cart right before the final boss and oh my god these characters are all so high level how much of this game IS THERE...?

None of the stores around me were carrying it and it was 4 months to my birthday and I couldn't find it anywhere and I was freaking out because this game was everything I wanted in an RPG and I needed to know what happened!!

So I called up a stationary store in the next town that sometimes had a couple SNES games for sale, and persuaded them to special order one copy of Chrono Trigger for me. It took a week to come in, I was calling them every day to see if the delivery was made. Every day at school was non-stop anticipation, like it's your birthday and you know you just have to get through that one day til you can get home and all go out to [the roller rink/McDonald's/the arcade] and have the biggest party EVER. And every day, sorry, it's not in yet, and I go to bed dejected and yet hopeful that, surely, tomorrow will be the day.

Until it was. It finally came in, and that afternoon I rode my bike ten fucking miles to this store and paid sixty dollars for Chrono Trigger and it was worth every goddamn penny. I played it relentlessly, all day and night. I played it the next morning before school. At lunch period I walked fifteen minutes home and fifteen minutes back just so I could play it for the ten minutes in between while scarfing down a lukewarm hot pocket.

And those ten minutes were beautiful, because they were the ten minutes where you save Lucca's mom from getting crippled in that accident, and jesus christ I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

No other game before or since has come close.

that-feel-when-no-gf-know-your-meme-i11.png

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    It's been utterly fascinating watching this comic evolve from a bunch of guys making dick jokes about videogames into this sort of weird thing where they slowly gaze into their own mortality, while making dick jokes about videogames.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Why...is Gabe's hair blue?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    NergyNergy Registered User regular
    I know Gabe isn't exactly a 1:1 scale Mike. But I remember Mike saying in an old podcast he grew up with only a Genesis and got a Super Nintendo when he was older. I could be misremembering what he said.

• Options
    SmoogySmoogy Registered User regular
    It is one of the great tragedies of my life that I sold my copy of Super Mario RPG to a friend of mine for about $20 back in middle or high school. God that game was so amazing.

In addition to the abovementioned classic games (Earthbound, Chrono Trigger, and FF VI most of all), Secret of Mana, Sunset Riders, SF 2 Turbo, and the Mega Man X games all played a huge role in my formative gaming years.

Smoogy-1689
    3DS Friend Code: 1821-8991-4141
    PAD ID: 376,540,262