As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Single Origin, Organic, Genetically Nonengineered food thread [Food Thread]

nevilleneville The Worst Gay(Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
SE++ wouldn't be the same without our food thread to discuss our recipes, read @stale's mouthwatering recipes (and try them) and discuss places to eat in our cities and when visiting other locations!

Maybe you'd like to discuss food shows, too? Like the Onion-created-Top-Chef-parody-that-doesn't-seem-that-far-off:

http://www.theonion.com/video/top-chef-contestants-forced-to-prepare-entire-meal,31209/

nevillexmassig1.png

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I still need to make tamales. Haven't done that yet.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna post some hot bread pictures in here.

This weekend it's rye bread and sandwich bread!

Also I have a ton of instant yeast to use now.

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    Mori has pushed me to improve my bread making.

Not liking baking is no excuse not to be a better baker.

Last night made a sugar-butter crust cinnamon bread. Came out decent. I'll be making some king cakes this weekend.

easysig2.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I really enjoy baking. My biggedt gripe is the amount of time it takes for a good loaf - the Rustic Italian Bread I've made the past couple weekends has to rise and be folded three times and then a final rise before being put in the oven. It's worth it, though - the bread is goddamned delicious.

Right now I'm just using a pizza stone to bake the bread on, which is nice but at the same time is a bit small, especially for that italian bread. Seriously considering getting a bigass pizza stone that would take up the entirety of my parents' oven.

Moriveth on
    I dislike baking on basic principle

I don't like such rigid rules when it comes to food.

easysig2.jpg
    but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be better at it

easysig2.jpg
    I can understand that. You strike me as a dude who likes a bit more wiggle room in his cooking, which baking doesn't allow. I like that too, but the wiggle room for me in baking bread is what you put into it. Sure, you can make a 5:3 ratio white bread, but you can just as easily throw some onions in there or what have you.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Would anyone be against me starting a project in my spare time to go through all the previous threads and collect recipes to put somewhere on the net. Not certain where.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Near the dawn of time, night cloaked most of the earth and men cowered, afraid, in their caves. They fed on the carcasses left by the more powerful species, supplemented by plants they hoped would not poison them. These humble cave dwellers were our ancestors and they dreamed of great things. One day a luminous being descended from the. They could not understand it's advanced thoughts however, so the creature flew back to the heavens from whence it had come. As it climbed higher and higher, it swore a vow to come back. To find this planet again and impart the vast knowledge of the galaxies. The eseential truth it had learned. Our ancestors survived.

Earth 1980 A.D, Southern California : Two brothers stare up at the night sky. Dreaming of the future and wishing for more. A star grows brighter and brighter still. Falling ever faster to the earth. The brothers both have the sense of a wave building. A powerful force barely contained. They stand on the brink of history, of greatness. The star plummets downward, crashing into the nearby desert. The brothers are drawn to it. Unable to leave it even if they had wanted to. They find a great crater, at it's center a glowing figure. Humanoid, but not human. They clamber and slide down the slope, yelling and laughing at the sheer and utter joy and terror of it all. Two children of Earth, brought here to this place on this night. They reach the bottom tired and smeared with dirt, shoes filled with sand reminding them of the beach trips they had taken as children. The figure shakes violently. Body contorting. Wracked by pain, by a lifetime of suffering. It raises one withered arm. Hand outstretched and beckoning them closer. The brothers approach and lean in close. They are bathed by the creatures light, fading even now as it whispers to them secrets. It falls back with a gasp, the light almost extinguished. With one last effort it gives voice to the final knowledge of it's kind. The treasure that it bore across the stars. The key to happiness, health, success. The key to life itself. The brothers departed that place, never to return. They would soon find their fortune. Their future. Their greater things. For deep in their heart they had those two words that had been spoken too them that fateful night.

Hot Pocket

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    I've been meaning to make some bread recipes myself, but right now they're just in my head and I need to make and taste-test them first to ensure they're decent.

it's like pulling teeth to get people to test recipes.

or at least, to test as written. With a few awesome exceptions, most people tend to stray and substitute.

easysig2.jpg
    Ummmm for those pancakes, I don't really like bananas so can I use oranges instead?

(Seriously those pancakes are damned good, and i am gonna do that bread pudding once I make myself a brioche loaf)

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    That's my alternate OP.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Would anyone be against me starting a project in my spare time to go through all the previous threads and collect recipes to put somewhere on the net. Not certain where.

Great idea imo

zerzhul wrote: »
    Syphyre wrote: »

Great idea imo

@Syphyre if it wasn't clear, I also support this endeavor

Call it SE++'s Natural Harvest

or "Stale yells at you until you do it his way"

easysig2.jpg
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »

You and my wife would get along swimmingly.

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular

How do you feel about making pasta?

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I'm with Stale. I can bake, but I'm not a fan of it. I prefer things where I can experiment.

How do you feel about making pasta?

flour, eggs, salt.

there isn't nearly as much chemistry to worry about with pasta.

easysig2.jpg
    Honestly bread is also fairly open, as far as baking goes.

Flour, water, salt, and yeast. You need to get the basic structure yes, but it's fairly easy to do so off the cuff.

cake? pastry? no way. too much chemistry to balance and still be free.

easysig2.jpg
    Yeah, stuff like choux paste is really finicky.

But you do get eclairs from it so I am okay with that.

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I like baking a lot. A little less freedom, but it's also fun to try different kinds of baked goods.

Also: SCONES. Goddamn do I love me some scones. And you can make lots of kinds, too...though the one time I tried to make cheddar + chive scones, they just came out super dense and not even all that flavorful, which really surprised me, considering the amount of flavorful things I threw in there. I can make a mean cranberry/orange, lemon poppy, or cranberry/ginger scone though. Mmmmmm

We should do book recommendations.

Bread.jpg

This is the first bread I made from scratch. As you can clearly see, it's a bit burnt at the top, because at that point I didn't know how far out of whack my parents' oven was. Still, it was delicious and had a fantastic crust! I baked it a dutch oven, with the top on for about a half-hour and then off for the remaining 20-30 minutes.

• FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    or "Stale yells at you until you do it his way"

something something joke about your sex life.

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I made some spaghetti sauce tonight, using my immersion blender that I got for christmas for the first time.

I am going to try to make a box of chocolates this weekend to give to Amy on valentine's day. With her dietary restrictions, there aren't any I can just buy.

BLM - ACAB
  • roxynovaroxynova Registered User regular
    I made some sweeeeet vegan chili for the "superbowl" (read: I don't care about sports)

522152_10100521057174767_192554258_n.jpg

• roxynovaroxynova Registered User regular
    whoa that was sooo big, sorry.

Bread_Loaf.jpg

Here's a loaf of that Rustic Italian Bread I was talking about. As you can see I forgot to slice the top before baking, so it probably didn't rise up as much during the baking process as it could have. However, it's also fucking huge, and tasted pretty nice! This bread was made with a sponge beforehand.

Vegan Chili

huh

didn't know words could hurt that bad. Learned something new.

easysig2.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular

or at least, to test as written. With a few awesome exceptions, most people tend to stray and substitute.

A lot of your recipes are fat and carb heavy, which is fine for people that don't mind that but with the 'betus I tend to not bother.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    I've had vegetarian chili before, it's pretty decent. I don't like it as much as real meaty chili, of course, but it works well enough.

Druhim wrote: »

A lot of your recipes are fat and carb heavy, which is fine for people that don't mind that but with the 'betus I tend to not bother.

Better run that shit off and get back in the kitchen, princess

easysig2.jpg
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    only if I get a real tiara

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Vegan Chili

huh

didn't know words could hurt that bad. Learned something new.

Eh, if you make a chili slurry like you would for texas red it'd probably be decent.

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    lets all share our favorite vegan recipes

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    lol.

Also on subbing in recipes, the comments on some recipe sites are hilarious when they complain after making 3-4 subs. Like, no shit it didnt turn out, you didnt follow the recipe.

lets all share our favorite vegan recipes

how many lentil soups do you have time for?

This discussion has been closed.