As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Single Origin, Organic, Genetically Nonengineered food thread [Food Thread]

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I have no problem with vegan recipes. I mean I prefer to cook non-vegan stuff but the few vegan things I've tried have been fine.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    this morning i went out to the sydney grower's markets, which i'd never done before.

i was looking for okra, 'cause i'm doing a jambalaya tonight and i frigging love okra. the place was jam packed, it's chinese new year so there were dragon and drum parades weaving down the tight aisles, it was just amazing. there was literally everything - i got a bag full of like half a dozen eggplants for $2. $2! eggplant feature week for sure.

i got my okra, i got a couple of kilos of tomatoes, parsley, green onions, italian sausages, a bag full of limes, beautiful cherries, fresh jalapenos, bag full of capsicum. i was amazed to find that i still had four dollars change out of a twenty.

so awesome

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Moriveth wrote: »
    I have no problem with vegan recipes. I mean I prefer to cook non-vegan stuff but the few vegan things I've tried have been fine.

Vegan pizza:

Ingredients:
    1 Gun
    1 Bullet

Directions:
    Load Gun
    Put gun in your mouth
    Pull trigger

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Gosh do you dislike vegan food? I'd have never guessed!

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Ain't a thing wrong with vegan food. I like meat, so I wouldn't choose it, but I'd eat it.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Hey maybe next we can look down on people for there choice of condiments or something! That's always good for a fun page or two.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Hey maybe next we can look down on people for there choice of condiments or something! That's always good for a fun page or two.

Sounds like something a mustardeater would say.

• Options
    Mustard is old news, dude. C'mon, ketchup.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You use mayonnaise? Please, I only use aioli.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Gosh do you dislike vegan food? I'd have never guessed!

I just dislike vegan pizza. I much prefer vegan indian/persian food.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Druhim wrote: »

Psh, I bet you buy your aioli. I only eat aioli that I make myself from ingredients that are all locally-sourced.

• Options

Psh, I bet you buy your aioli. I only eat aioli that I make myself from ingredients that are all locally-sourced.

jokes aside, It's actually really easy

• Options
    Lol if you don't grow your own ingredients.

Just lol.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    mrt144 wrote: »

Yes, I know. I have done it.

• Options
    mrt144 wrote: »

Yes, I know. I have done it.

Are there even any major aioli brands?

• Options
    I bet some places like Whole Foods have some.

• Options
    wait, aioli's not just miracle whip with a clove of garlic crushed in? hmm.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    well, miracle whip isn't mayonnaise so no

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    What the hell is miracle whip? I've never had it.

For the longest time I imagined it tasted like marshmallows. I don't know why.

• Options
    it's basically mayo.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezz wrote: »
    it's basically mayo.

bad mayo
    bastard mayo
    mayo for children

• Options
    would the joke have been better if i'd said

"wait, aioli isn't just miracle whip with a teaspoon of powdered garlic-based seasoning mixed in?"

because i will go back and edit it.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    wait, i ammend my statement:

I hate vegan, gluten free pizza. I am so glad Juliano's was replaced by Lil Woody's

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    aioli is actually a standard sauce/dressing/condiment down here. it almost replaces tomato sauce in some ways. almost everything comes with aioli.

which was weird when i was used to seeing it only on the fancier things back home.

Best Foods (which I think is Hellmans brand) has bottled squeezable aioli. So does Heinz.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Duke's Mayo is the secret to good food.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Stale wrote: »
    Duke's Mayo is the secret to good food.

John Wayne's semen...no thanks.

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    more like gayoli, true straight white americans (the only ones that matter) eat wholesome miracle whip with a spoon straight from the jar

• Options
    more like gayoli, true straight white americans (the only ones that matter) eat wholesome miracle whip with a spoon straight from the jar

I have to say, their ads were pretty nice in that they recognize people either love it or hate it.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    hmmm

gonna try to do some overnight oats things for brekkies this week.

add in some protein powder and poof! instant breakfast for on the go!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Not living with my vegetarian brother in law or my fast food addicted best friend for the next few weeks so I can finally do some serious cooking again. I'm gonna try to poorly recreate a wings recipe I ate in a bar in the states. If I wanted to do it properly I'd need 24 hours, a hot smoker and a deep fryer, but I'm gonna see what I can do with foil, a long slow oven and a deep pan with some high temperature rice oil.

• Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular

In the commercials it looks exactly like marshmallow cream.

Who wouldn't want to put marshmallow cream on everything?

• Options
    Zellpher wrote: »

In the commercials it looks exactly like marshmallow cream.

Who wouldn't want to put marshmallow cream on everything?

Well as a kid, I totally would.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    People who won't touch vegetarian or vegan food completely baffle me. I get that some people just really like meat. Fuck, I eat meat pretty much every single day unless I go out of my way not to. Probably gonna continue doing that for the most part.

But people who eat meat still eat carbs and vegetable stuff as well. And if you are down for that, then surely you are down for some nice carbs and veggy stuff.

I was staying with my aunt and uncle in london a bit ago and I made some vegetable samosas for another aunt's tea party thing. I often one to my cousin and he said no because he's 'not a vegetarian'.

I've made some really nice vegetarian dishes when I've been staying with friends, and I've offered to cook some for them, and they've gone no thanks and then made themselves some shitty sausages and rice.

It's like, fucking, I'm not asking you to publicly renounce meat or anything. Just try the fucking thing. Vegetarian food can be incredibly fucking bland if you don't put any effort into it, so any halfway commited vegetarian person has probably invested a bit of time into learning how to make nice thing. It's probably 'kay.

Ok, so that mostly turned into a rant against people who I know, but vegetarian and vegan stuff can still be pretty nice. And if it's shit, then the person cooking it probably wouldn't go all that well with some meaty things.

• Options
    results: italian sausage jambalaya with some kind of spicy deep-fried okra. it's not the best jambalaya i've made but the okra idea made up for it. amazing.

dinner_zpsa26ef58d.jpg

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    tumblr_lqk0e7O2m41qd6t8yo1_500.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I have tons of delicious vegan and vegetarian recipes

Would anyone like some?

Also as the constantly becoming more compulsive daughter of an engineer I love baking.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I don't mind vegan food. I mind vegans. There's a difference.

Peen on
  • Options
    Most vegans I know are pretty cool about it, so maybe stop making generalizations about all vegans just based on the annoying ones.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Most vegans I know are mildly self important pricks, so maybe stop making generalizations based on your circle of cool friends.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    but
    I

wh

owmybrain

This discussion has been closed.