As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WINDOWS PHONE] Windows Phone 8. From Very Small to Sorta Small.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    What do you guys use for Dropbox? There's several choices with middling reviews, so I wonder if there's a consensus here.

I do, but just for password management. In which case, it works flawlessly, and has for years. But we're dealing with very small files.

Right, but what app do you use on your phone to access it? I mean, I use Dropbox for some of my keepass stuff, and it works on my iPad through my Dropbox app, but there's no official Dropbox app for WP8 so I was wondering what would be the way to go there.

A browser bookmark?

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Ah, sorry, my drobox needs on WP are handled through the 1password app.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    So, I believe I have portico.

It does not have the anticipated VPN options.

*flips table*

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    So, I believe I have portico.

It does not have the anticipated VPN options.

*flips table*

Portico was mostly bug fixes + keeping your wifi on when locked. Apollo (iirc) is the next update with the hope for VPN.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    So I'm finally stepping into the 21st century and upgrading my dumb-phone (Pantech Laser) to a smartphone next month. Chasm was kind enough to steer my search for a cheap (sub-$100) android from AT&T towards the HTC One X. It seems like a great phone, and barring being convinced otherwise it'll be the one I go with.

But I just realized that I've never even considered a Windows phone. I know absolutely nothing about them (which is only slightly less than I know about androids). Could someone help me with the pros & cons? Assume I'll be just about the furthest thing from a power-user as someone can be.

**Cross-posted in the Android Thread**

I effing loved my lumia 920. I had to return it b/c I need a certain kind of codec to listen to vm messages, and apparently that codec is supported only by iOS and not android or windows phones. However, I turned it in for an iphone sullenly and still miss the thing three months later. It's great for a non-power user who wants powerful functionality ut of email, calendaring and other basic apps.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    It also doubles as a fine blackjack.

I kid. Build quality on it reminds me of thinkpad brand. Wish Sprint would do some win8 phones.

• Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    I just got a free upgrade for Verizon. Love my HTC Trophy, but I'm excited to move to WP8. Should I get the Lumia 822, Samsung ATIV, HTC 8X, or wait for the second generation of WP8 devices?

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Daemonion wrote: »
    I just got a free upgrade for Verizon. Love my HTC Trophy, but I'm excited to move to WP8. Should I get the Lumia 822, Samsung ATIV, HTC 8X, or wait for the second generation of WP8 devices?

I LOVE my 8X. Love it. LOVE IT. I switched from Android (HTC Thunderbolt), and as much as I wanted to swear off HTC after the frustrations with my previous device, the 8X was just great-looking, got awesome reviews, and, in practice, is just a sleek and sexy and incredible phone. It does everything I could possibly want and it looks great doing it. The 822 is underwhelming, the ATIV is just boring looking in comparison, and my only real complaint about the 8X is that it's had some minor restarting/SIM error issues (which have been addressed in firmware) and that we haven't actually seen Microsoft's promised direct-to-device firmware updating (the enthusiasts' program, or whatever they called it). Part of the reason I left Android was because I was so disgusted with the in-fighting between Verizon and Google - I didn't want to have to wait 6-8 months after official release to get a firmware update. Well, it looks like I'm being forced to deal with that again. Thanks, Verizon!

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    HTC's Windows Phone offerings have been excellent, at least compared to...pretty much everyone else. More than any company, they got behind WP7 and have kept it up for WP8.

• Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    Bell pushed out the HTC 8X portico update last night for any other Canadians who have been waiting for it.

From the Microsoft site on the update:
    Update 8.0.10211.204

Messaging improvements. A great messaging experience is now even better. You can now add multiple recipients at the same time when you send a text message and automatically save unsent text messages as drafts. You can even edit received text messages before you forward them.

Text replies to incoming calls. Can't take a call? Now you can send a prewritten text reply to a caller directly from the call answer screen. It's a nice way to let people know that you're not ignoring them.

Internet Explorer improvements. You can now change your settings to prevent pictures from downloading automatically—an easy way to help keep data usage low. You can also delete selected sites from your browsing history and leave the rest intact.

Wi-Fi connectivity. Got a favorite Wi-Fi network? Windows Phone 8 will now prioritize Wi-Fi connections based on your connection history.

Other improvements. Includes many other improvements to Windows Phone.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I got a blue HTC 8X for myself today. My local Verizon store was undergoing a change in the way they operate (iPads with scanners and card readers in lieu of desktop computers) today, so service was a bit stretched. I had to contact Verizon technical support because my phone wasn't fully unlocked (couldn't receive text messages, my phone number didn't show up in the settings). They fixed it fairly quickly over the phone.

Despite the hiccups, I'm pretty impressed. It's a sexy phone, and it's imminently more accessible than an iPhone out of the box (bigger buttons by default, at least as good a speaker for speaker phone calls). Can't wait to dive into it more deeply.

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Any Lumia users tried out the Photobeamer app?

Found it quite freakishly good :).

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    WP sales double YoY, still a teeny weeny marketshare of 2.5-3%.

http://www.examiner.com/article/windows-phone-doubles-sales-volume-2012

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Sales doubling year on year? 3% marketshare?

Whoa shit, that's Apple levels of success...

• Options
    I was under the impression WP7 had done the same thing, so I'm not too optimistic. We'll see where it goes.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I was under the impression WP7 had done the same thing, so I'm not too optimistic. We'll see where it goes.

Those growth numbers, yes.

Not the market share. Again, nothing mind blowing, but if 100% YoY continues then we may be looking at double digit market share in a few.

I don't particularly care outside of attractiveness to developers and continued support from MS.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Oh hey, accidentally bought the radio edited version of some tracks with Zune Pass credits -- contacted support, and was told that they'd credit me with some microsoft points... turns out it was more than enough to just buy the correct version of the whole album.

• Options
    So, what apps/games do you guys recommend? I've had no luck finding a good shopping list app. MyShoppi had promise, but I don't like the interface. It's a bit clunky.

• Options
    Fruit Ninja was recommended to me a while ago as a fun game.

I own it on Windows 8 now as well, for my Surface Pro. Definitely check it out.

• Options
    You should check out Skulls of the Shogun, games wise. I don't really use many apps, the default phone functionality covers most of the things I'd want to do without many gaps.

For a shopping list, I usually use OneNote. Because it auto-syncs, I can just type up the list on my computer or tablet then it'll be available on the phone. That might be a bit too plain for you liking, though. Occasionally, I'll use a cooking app like Epicurious if I'm getting ingredients for a specific dish

• Options
    I stumbled onto Wordament while looking for Xbox apps. It's like a timed Bookworm mashed together with Text Twist. Pretty fun.

• Options
    Minesweeper is also free, respectable and has achievements. Of course, first and foremost, it's Minesweeper.

App-wise, if you play Blizzard games, check out the official Battle.net Authenticator. The Amazon app is decent as well. Metrotube is my preferred Youtube browser (it's finally back, after a long absence), and Last.fm is a decent free internet radio service (free on Windows platforms anyway).

• Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    I ended up getting the 8X. I would have rather gotten the Nokia 9-whatever, but Verizon didn't have. So far, I am loving it and the improvements from WP7. I am even more in love with what MS has done with this product line.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Not sure how many people are still running WP7 phones, but I've still got my HTC Trophy from Verizon and it is still stuck on 7.5 Mango. I found out last night about this SeventyEighter tool and it pulls the update from Microsoft and forces it onto your phone! Verizon refuses to release the update and the Trophy is EOL, so I didn't really have any other recourse. The tool was amazingly simple to use. You click "Install 7.8" and it downloads the developer tools which you then need to install (32 or 64bit, both are downloaded but it's very small) and then you wait as it updates your phone (takes about 4-5 reboots and installs). Then it's done!

I'm not sure of all the new features added in 7.8, but the new Start screen is fantastic being able to resize the icons!

Verizon is supposedly (it's been heavily leaked at this point) the Nokia 928, which I'll probably upgrade to unless something better comes out by summer and/or I hear about WP9 or some other thing that I'll want to wait for. Getting burned on WP7 was tough, but I do love the design and function of it so I'll likely stay with it.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Given the merged kernel on WP8/W8, I'd say it's significantly more likely that WP8 phones get whatever theoretical WP9 comes out.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Not sure how many people are still running WP7 phones, but I've still got my HTC Trophy from Verizon and it is still stuck on 7.5 Mango. I found out last night about this SeventyEighter tool and it pulls the update from Microsoft and forces it onto your phone! Verizon refuses to release the update and the Trophy is EOL, so I didn't really have any other recourse. The tool was amazingly simple to use. You click "Install 7.8" and it downloads the developer tools which you then need to install (32 or 64bit, both are downloaded but it's very small) and then you wait as it updates your phone (takes about 4-5 reboots and installs). Then it's done!

I'm not sure of all the new features added in 7.8, but the new Start screen is fantastic being able to resize the icons!

Verizon is supposedly (it's been heavily leaked at this point) the Nokia 928, which I'll probably upgrade to unless something better comes out by summer and/or I hear about WP9 or some other thing that I'll want to wait for. Getting burned on WP7 was tough, but I do love the design and function of it so I'll likely stay with it.

Okay, I need to check this out! My T-Mobile WP is still on 7.5 as well...much appreciated!

EDIT: @ArcSyn, after failing the NoWifi Update test, I tried the app--is it normal for it to run, restart, install and then repeat the process over again? Multiple times? The boot-up screen changed, which is a good sign, but it still wants to keep installing...I guess I was really far behind in updates.

EDIT EDIT: Nevermind, just took a lot of steps. Finished!

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Okay, I need to check this out! My T-Mobile WP is still on 7.5 as well...much appreciated!

EDIT: @ArcSyn, after failing the NoWifi Update test, I tried the app--is it normal for it to run, restart, install and then repeat the process over again? Multiple times? The boot-up screen changed, which is a good sign, but it still wants to keep installing...I guess I was really far behind in updates.

EDIT EDIT: Nevermind, just took a lot of steps. Finished!

Yup, it does that. Not sure why there's so many updates, but I guess it's necessary when doing the upgrade to 7.8. Might be so it can keep your apps/data instead of replacing the whole OS wholesale.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    After it restarted four times, I thought it was on a loop, so I waited until it returned to the tiles to pull it--thankfully, that didn't break the update, and I was able to resume later. Close one.

• Options
    This barely feels like an announcement, because information on the phone has been getting around for months, but the Lumia 928 will be launching on Verizon on May 16, for $100 with contract. It'll come in black or white.

anna_2D00_2_2D00_phone_2D00_lockup_2D00_v2_5F00_thumb_5F00_33FF5612.jpg

It is the Lumia 920 except with a somewhat different, thinner profile. It also has a Xenon flash. Besides that, it is basically the same phone (which is still great, 6 months after launch).

• Options
    DoleyBobDoleyBob Registered User regular
    Hey guys, quick question. I just picked up the 928 earlier today and I'm having a small issue with it. I can't seem to get embedded Youtube videos to play in the browser. All I get is a white box where the video used to be with a little white page in the left hand corner. I tried finding something to fix it but it seems all the things I can find are about Windows Phone 7 and not having your region set to US, which it is. Anyone else have this issue? I checked with a friend that has 920 and he says everything works fine for him.

• Options
    Hmm, yeah, never had any issues with that on my 920. It should play the video in fullscreen.

• Options
    Any suggestions on what it could be? I'm brand new to Windows Phone so I'm not even sure on where to begin looking.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Have you downloaded or updated the YouTube app?

• Options
    JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    DoleyBob wrote: »
    Any suggestions on what it could be? I'm brand new to Windows Phone so I'm not even sure on where to begin looking.

Are you talking about videos embedded on these forums? Cause those have never worked for me on my 920.

• Options
    DoleyBob wrote: »

Are you talking about videos embedded on these forums? Cause those have never worked for me on my 920.

Yup, that's what I'm talking about. That's such a shame since I typically do most of my browsing from my phone and the DNA I had previously handled it fine. Kinda disappointed

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    So...I'm at the point where I'm ready to replace my phone, and ditch AT&T. I currently use an iPhone 4, but I'm not really tied down to Apple's ecosystem. I have a lot of games that I've purchased for it, but I don't play them enough to be upset if I no longer have pocket-access to them.

The Metro UI has always appealed to me (I even ha my phone jailbroken at one point with a Metro skin, live tiles and all), and I like the idea of integrating apps with my home PC.

Currently, I'm leaning towards the GS4, because I'm a Samsung employee, and have actually played with the phone. I also like the idea of the screen size, but it's not a deal breaker.

But I keep getting drawn back towards WP8. I just love the way it looks. I'm not an app power user, so I don't mind the smaller selection of apps. Why should I switch? Phone-wise, it doesn't look like a whole lot new has come out, though I've read about the Lumia 925 for T-Mobile (which is where I'd like to end up). I can honestly say the only apps I'd really like to work well are the basics: e-mail, messaging, calendar. I'd also like the maps app to do turn-by turn navigation, but I've lived without it before, so it isn't a deal breaker.

• Options
    JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    Pirusu wrote: »
    So...I'm at the point where I'm ready to replace my phone, and ditch AT&T. I currently use an iPhone 4, but I'm not really tied down to Apple's ecosystem. I have a lot of games that I've purchased for it, but I don't play them enough to be upset if I no longer have pocket-access to them.

The Metro UI has always appealed to me (I even ha my phone jailbroken at one point with a Metro skin, live tiles and all), and I like the idea of integrating apps with my home PC.

Currently, I'm leaning towards the GS4, because I'm a Samsung employee, and have actually played with the phone. I also like the idea of the screen size, but it's not a deal breaker.

But I keep getting drawn back towards WP8. I just love the way it looks. I'm not an app power user, so I don't mind the smaller selection of apps. Why should I switch? Phone-wise, it doesn't look like a whole lot new has come out, though I've read about the Lumia 925 for T-Mobile (which is where I'd like to end up). I can honestly say the only apps I'd really like to work well are the basics: e-mail, messaging, calendar. I'd also like the maps app to do turn-by turn navigation, but I've lived without it before, so it isn't a deal breaker.

Yeah, so the things that you actually do with your phone work so incredibly well with the built in Apps in Windows Phone 8. And there's Nokia Drive as well, if you really need an alternate turn by turn app that is excellent.

• Options
    The 925 is the updated 920, right? I have a few friends with 920s and they love them. I'd get a 925 if I didn't already have an S3...

• Options
    edited May 2013
    The post so nice I made it twice, apparently!

Donovan Puppyfucker on