As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let the schedule conflicts begin!

PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in PAX Archive
With the release of the PAX schedule, we can now all see how many things will be going on all at the same time!

My biggest conflict right now is the PA Make a Strip panel and the Sam and Max Make an Episode panel.

Now if I can only figure out how to either clone myself or go back in time to do everything then I'll be set.

Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
Phanman on

• sycholord31sycholord31 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    All you need is that Time Turner form Harry Potter:Prizoner of Azkaban (i think thats the book where it first shows up)...lol

sycholord31 on
  • PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    All you need is that Time Turner form Harry Potter:Prizoner of Azkaban (i think thats the book where it first shows up)...lol

I was going to say that, but I wasn't quite ready to commit myself to that level of nerdery.

Alas I just did with this post though. :(

Phanman on
  • denihilistdenihilist Ancient and Mighty Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    have you given any thought to quantum entanglement?

denihilist on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Phanman wrote: »
    With the release of the PAX schedule, we can now all see how many things will be going on all at the same time!

My biggest conflict right now is the PA Make a Strip panel and the Sam and Max Make an Episode panel.

Now if I can only figure out how to either clone myself or go back in time to do everything then I'll be set.

I agree with that conflict. Here are some of mine:

Friday:

Exhibition Hall opening (get free stuff before it is all gone) ||| Speedrun panel ||| PC Tourney registration (I am signing up for HL2 DM)

I will be starting in the Exhibition Hall and then running over to sign up before it is too late. No Speedun viewing for me. :(

Keynote ||| Omegathon Round 1 Jenga

Gotta go with the keynote even though the Jenga games would be super fun. Maybe the Omegathon will make it to YouTube.

Concert A ||| Final Fantasy Advent Children showing

I would like to see Advent Children with fellow fans, but the concert might be too awesome to pass up.

Saturday:

Red vs Blue panel ||| Wendy's Challenge (forum activity)

I am sure the panel would be funny (I have not seen many Red vs Blues though), but I am committed to the Wendy's Challenge.

Gabe and Tycho Live Signing A ||| HL2 DM Tourney ||| Omegathon Round 3 Quake III

The signing and watching people frag in Quake III would be awesome, but I will be in the tourney.

Sunday:

Family Feud ||| Far Cry 2 Demo panel

I want to see the Feud, but the Far Cry 2 demo is a PAX exclusive and no one is allowed to record it. Maybe someone will record the Feud.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thus far the only major scheduling conflict for me is what movie to see Friday night, Wizard or Last Starfighter.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Red vs Blue panel ||| Wendy's Challenge (forum activity)

I am sure the panel would be funny (I have not seen many Red vs Blues though), but I am committed to the Wendy's Challenge.

Last year, the RvB panel was funny until the questions started. A lot of the questions were lame--like, "can you sign my X?" Bleh. Speed-round was kind of hilarious, because the RvB guys just started buzzing out anyone who went on too long.

I'm kind of annoyed that the Women in Gaming panel is at the same time as the Community and PR panel... both of which I really wanted to go to. PR trumps girl talk, but damn. :(

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Dang...how did I miss the schedule release?!?!?

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Well I've got problems with the Keynote and Round 1 and game testing 101....

PA Panel 1 and Breaking into the industry....

Assassin's Creed and Round 2 and Journalism Panel AND Too Old For Gaming....

Changes in the Industry, Round 4 and a super secret Press Only event...

Marketing and another super secret press event...

Family Feud, Politics and Game Music...

PA Panel II, Round 5 and Casual Gaming...

Licenced Titles and GamerDad...

Geez... can there be 4 of me?

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't know about you guys but my eyes went straight to Theatre B @ 10:00pm. :D

phamtq on
    edited August 2007
    mentok1982 wrote: »

I agree with that conflict. Here are some of mine:

Friday:

Exhibition Hall opening (get free stuff before it is all gone) ||| Speedrun panel ||| PC Tourney registration (I am signing up for HL2 DM)

I will be starting in the Exhibition Hall and then running over to sign up before it is too late. No Speedun viewing for me. :(

Keynote ||| Omegathon Round 1 Jenga

Gotta go with the keynote even though the Jenga games would be super fun. Maybe the Omegathon will make it to YouTube.

Saturday:

Gabe and Tycho Live Signing A ||| Omegathon Round 3 Quake III

Those are mine as well, and I'd like to see one of the Friday movies, but I'm not going to miss the Oneups.

My biggest schedule conflict is on Sunday though, since my flight leaves at noon. I really wish I was able to stay for Sunday but I have to go back to work Monday and since I'm on the east coast, it pretty much takes the whole day to fly back =/

Phanman on
    edited August 2007
    Which should I attend?

- Community and PR in the Game Industry
    or
    - Girls and Games, the Growing Role of Women in the Game Industry

and no. I'm not a girl.

phamtq on
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    phamtq wrote: »
    Which should I attend?

- Community and PR in the Game Industry
    or
    - Girls and Games, the Growing Role of Women in the Game Industry

and no. I'm not a girl.

I'm in the same boat. Apparently the Women Gaming panel was hilarious and foul-mouthed last year, which is my kinda thing. However, I'd love to get further into doing PR work, so I think that one trumps it for me.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    On friday, I have to sign up for the HL2DM tourney, sign up for the Guild Wars 1v1 tourney, get free stuff at the exhibition hall and watch the speed run showcase all at the same time.

Then there's Inside Arenanet at the same time as the PA Make a Strip thing.

Then there's stuff that I kind of want to go to all over the place, but I can't possibly make it to even half. Why does PAX have to be so awesome?

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Holy shit, holy shit, Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman in the storytelling panel? I am so fucking there.
    a super secret Press Only event...
    Press only? So regular attendees aren't allowed in or what?

Thello on
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm actually kind of relieved, now that the schedule is out. It appears as though the Mario Kart Double Dash tourney starts a couple hours before the Saturday night concert. Last year I had to choose between driving a kart for my friend, or MC Frontalot.
    This year, I have plenty of time to lose before MCF! And if it turns out that we're doing well in MKDD, well, the Front might understand....or not care.

QuizMaster on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    The Front likes him some Gamecube, so I'm sure he'll understand.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lessee:

Friday:
    2:30-3:00: Storytelling (no contest, it's my favorite thing about games)
    (30 mins in exhibit hall)
    4:00-5:00: Check out the keynote, and if it sucks, go to the Jenga round.
    5:00-6:00: Wander in and check out Rock and a Hard Place, whatever that is.
    7:00-7:30: Women in gaming, which I was a sucka and missed last year, but was apparently kickass.
    8:00-9:30: Dinner break, maybe check out the concerts on a monitor, but I really don't much care for that.
    10:00 Last Starfighter. No contest.
    Midnight: Catch a bus home

Whoops, gotta go to work. Saturday later.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
    edited August 2007
    Anyone have any idea if it's possible to get internet access (wired or wireless) at PAX? I've got a few blocks of time where I'll just be waiting so I thought it'd be nice to take some pictures and keep the people who couldn't come updated throughout the day.

phamtq on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2007
    The WSCTC's wireless is about $10 a day a atrociously slow from what I'm told. If you don't have a BYOC pass, the next best thing is going to be at nearby Freeway Park. I'm told there is free wireless there.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited August 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »
    The WSCTC's wireless is about $10 a day a atrociously slow from what I'm told. If you don't have a BYOC pass, the next best thing is going to be at nearby Freeway Park. I'm told there is free wireless there.

I'm a little skittish about having my laptop out in the open at night.

Just how slow is slow? Enough to post on the forum and upload decent size (res and KBs) to flickr?

phamtq on
  • KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm tethering my laptop to my EV-DO cell phone. Problem solved.

Kyouteki on
    edited August 2007
    Kyouteki wrote: »

So you're saying I can use it? *crosses fingers* :D

phamtq on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bleh, the PC hardware panel I'm moderating is in the same time slot as the Saturday concert... I wonder if I'll have more than a dozen for an audience.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Moe_Fwacky wrote: »

I'm a little skittish about having my laptop out in the open at night.

Just how slow is slow? Enough to post on the forum and upload decent size (res and KBs) to flickr?

Slow being... last time I have used it (about 6 months ago) we got about a 20-40kb/s download and a 10-12kb/s upload
    :|
    Its only worth the $12 it costs if you *really* need internet.
    I also heard the WSCTC has gotten a connection speed upgrade so that might have improved for their pay wireless.

THE ABOVE SPEED FIGURES DO NOT APPLY TO THE BYOC BANDWIDTH
    *Laughs evily*

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Kyouteki wrote: »

So you're saying I can use it? *crosses fingers* :D

I may be sharing the link every once in a while, but only while I'm using it.

Kyouteki on
  • Fo0dNippl4Fo0dNippl4 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm just glad the keynote and Mega64 panel don't conflict.

Fo0dNippl4 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pjarvipjarvi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Bleh, the PC hardware panel I'm moderating is in the same time slot as the Saturday concert... I wonder if I'll have more than a dozen for an audience.

It's PC Hardware, that kind of crowd don't dance. ;-)
    Unless they have girlfriends that drag them to the concert.

pjarvi on
  • ThelloThello Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Qs23 wrote: »

Quick bump again for clarification - where does this information come from? I'm going to be pretty bummed if there are press-only events at PAX this year.

Thello on
    edited August 2007
    Thello wrote: »

Quick bump again for clarification - where does this information come from? I'm going to be pretty bummed if there are press-only events at PAX this year.

I think it's the event where all the press head to the bars and get smashed. :D

phamtq on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

Damn, that is another conflict for me. I'm a major gaming and HTPC tinkerer, and yet I love the Saturday concert line-up (especially since I am a Code Monkey), decisions, decisions.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

I'll be there... I think.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • PAX_Virgin2007PAX_Virgin2007 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I think i have a conflict...?!! I want to be in the Shadowrun tourney PC vs Xbox and it ends at 9 pm friday and the concert is at 9 30 pm......if i dont get a wristband for being in the first 4000 pax goers will i be able to make it in time? Or if i am ne of the 4000 with wristbands....do i wait at the end of the line and all the other first come first served get to go in front of me? so i think the shadowrun tourney will conflict with my concert!!!

PAX_Virgin2007 on
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I prefer to leave everything as a surprise for when I get there.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Thus far the only major scheduling conflict for me is what movie to see Friday night, Wizard or Last Starfighter.

Ooooh, nail biter. *thinkthinkthinkthinkthink* Hmmmmmm.

Okay, The Last Starfighter wins.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My biggest conflict is "The Politics of Gaming" and the Far Cry 2 demo. I seriously don't want to miss either.

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • BacksliderBackslider Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

For the first super secret Press Only event, I'd say go for it and see what's going down, and if you end up staying you can always catch the second half of Round 4, but it's hard to say between the press event and changes in the industry.

As for the second super secret press event, I'm having a hard time choosing between that and Japanese Gaming. :\

Backslider on
  • wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Cross posting, but Keynote Speech || Future of Miniatures with a guy from PRIVATEER PRESS. DAMNIT.

Other than that no conflicts, except I don't really see a time to go eat, as whenever there isn't a major event I'll be at tabletop/handheld/consoles.

I'm going with 3 friends this time instead of just one. For those of you going in small groups have you found sticking together or separating best? Seems like a mix of both will be good.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    wenchkilla wrote: »
    I'm going with 3 friends this time instead of just one. For those of you going in small groups have you found sticking together or separating best? Seems like a mix of both will be good.
    3 friends is good if one person wants to do something else, then they can do that, the other friends can stick together and it is easy to keep track of each other.
    Different people have different priorities. It doesn't make much sense to make all of your friends go to the same events if they would rather do something else. Hopefully there will be a couple events in which you all want to go to, so that you can eventually catch up with each other.
    Also, hopefully somebody in your group will remind you to eat.

QuizMaster on
  • PalshifePalshife Registered User new member
    edited August 2007
    Lo! How crestfallen was I to learn that I may have to choose against Wil Wheaton's keynote and my chance to see how much I suck at Smash! Is there no way to finagle the schedule a bit to fit both in? Maybe move the keynote up a half hour and the tourney back a half hour?

Help this first time PAXer's dream come true! Can it be considered?

Palshife on
    edited August 2007
    Do I goto the Storytelling Panel first thing on Friday or goto the Exhibit Hall for free stuff?! Oh man, so many tough decisions.

Phanman on
This discussion has been closed.