As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Math [chat]

CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windyRegistered User regular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI

I'm going to go make some dinner. Have at it.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    sig - i guess a week

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Mmm, math.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    What boogs did you squish, @Feral ?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I have seen so much of Lena Dunham's boobs today.

It is ridiculous.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Fuzzy Maths don't lie.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I do not like math at all.

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    guys do you think the pope resigned because it's my birthday

that's what I am thinking

• Options
    I remember the glory days of IE6 and BSODing a target computer without warning...

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    What boogs did you squish, Feral ?

wat?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Ohhhhhhhhh

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Quid wrote: »

But it's so sexy!

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Senjutsu wrote: »

No.

• Options

Probably.

For my birthday last year they announced transgenderedness wasn't going to be a specific disorder in the DSM.

World events are always to make birthdays kick ass.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I am quite glad I wasn't tapped. Mostly because I don't have anything prepared, but also because my connection was being very dumb.

Thanatos, did you see my last post?

• Options
    Also I have Debt as an ebook, but I have yet to actually read it beyond browsing some sections relevant to that discussion. Hm.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    I didn't squish any bugs, sadly.

Could not find a workaround for this bullshit and I tried everything.

Basically, I have a 24-bit PNG with alpha transparency. It's a person with a nice gradient drop shadow.

I'm using JQuery to make it fade into view and then fade out again by using animate(opacity).

MSIE8 and older can handle a 24-bit PNG with transparency. It can handle animate(opacity). It can't handle both at the same time. It renders the semitransparent area as opaque black.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Sinkholes of lust, this lecture is weird.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Shivahn wrote: »

But it's so sexy!

5fd68d2c8b25d7126df6f94833d893d5.600x400_large.nopad

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

No.

I don't agree with this

• Options
    It's a completely nonessential aspect of the site, but you know corporate managers

they're more interested in how things slide and fade into view than they are about the underlying database organization

• Options
    Feral wrote: »

Basically, I have a 24-bit PNG with alpha transparency. It's a person with a nice gradient drop shadow.

I'm using JQuery to make it fade into view and then fade out again by using animate(opacity).

MSIE8 and older can handle a 24-bit PNG with transparency. It can handle animate(opacity). It can't handle both at the same time. It renders the semitransparent area as opaque black.

web development aka fuck you, IE team

fuck everything about you

• Options

But it's so sexy!

Math is awesome. Math teachers though do their damn'dest to beat any possible enjoyment of math out of young children until they too learn that math is drudgery.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-pyuaThp-c

• Options
    edited February 2013
    The super irritating thing about this bug isn't that it exists.

It's that the usual way of checking for bugs in MSIE layouts doesn't replicate this.

Normally you can take MSIE9 on Windows 7, set the window mode in developer tools to IE8, and see how the page renders in IE8. You can do the same in IE7.

Doing that, though, does not render this bug. You have to look at it on an actual MSIE8 machine or VM.

Fuck you, Internet Explorer.

Feral on

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

is the lecture about sinkholes of lust or is that just a very unusual expression of surprise

• Options
    Oh, that sounds familiar. I remember IE using DXImageTransform.Microsoft.Opacity initially, which I bet CSS3 opacity is also using. The external object happens not to play well with PNG alpha channel. This is the problem with trying to farm off image rendering to system image libraries...

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

Any reason you can't just use a solid background that matches the page?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    math is terrible

you need MORE THAN ONE to understand ANYTHING

maths4lyfe

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

But it's so sexy!

Math is awesome. Math teachers though do their damn'dest to beat any possible enjoyment of math out of young children until they too learn that math is drudgery.

To be fair if you had to spend 20 years teaching 14 year olds long division you'd probably have a hard time not making it feel like drudgery too.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular

Probably.

For my birthday last year they announced transgenderedness wasn't going to be a specific disorder in the DSM.

World events are always to make birthdays kick ass.

I remember looking on Wikipedia at my birthday. I was fairly unimpressed. :(

I also found out I am not the Chinese zodiac that I thought I was, because of how the lunar year behaves.

工事中
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »

is the lecture about sinkholes of lust or is that just a very unusual expression of surprise

Started with leprosy. Moved to lust. Then vagina dentata.

All tied to state building.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

But it's so sexy!

I'm at work.

Is this vihart? I'm gonna pretend it's vihart.

She is the best. Except for maybe math.

• Options
    Nah I just legit do not like math. I could do it when I forced myself to but pretty much everything past Algebra II was time I could have spent in another foreign language class.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    House of Cards
    "It's so refreshing to work with someone who will throw a saddle on a gift horse instead of looking it in the mouth."

Love dis!

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjDPRaD5w5g

God I cannot wait for this show to come back on air.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    redx wrote: »

Yep, that's the next thing I'm going to try. It just requires recreating the image in Photoshop for all the possible background combinations since the image itself gets re-used in a couple of different places. I just was really hoping I could fix it using some -ms-filter magic.

• Options
    Shivahn, that is vi hart yes.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

But it's so sexy!

[img]http://data.whicdn.com/im ages/38600179/5fd68d2c8b25d7126df6f94833d893d5.600x400_large.nopad[/img]

Teachers though do their damn'dest to beat any possible enjoyment of their subject out of young children until they too learn that the subject is drudgery.

http://www.yo utube.com/watch?v=v-pyuaThp-c

I can only think of two good teachers I've had in my years of college (including community).

My (Community College) Unix professor was awesome. Had a real passion for the subject. Also? Threatening to break my fingers if I used the arrow keys in vi is apparently an effective strategy.

And my Calculus 2 (in "real' college) professor had a strong understanding and was able to explain things well. Scraped a 'c', but that was completely my fault.

Tamin on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    redx wrote: »

Yep, that's the next thing I'm going to try. It just requires recreating the image in Photoshop for all the possible background combinations since the image itself gets re-used in a couple of different places. I just was really hoping I could fix it using some -ms-filter magic.
    And a few years from now, someone will be looking at the site design, see what you did, and say "why the fuck didn't this guy just use a transparent background? What an idiot."

And thus the circle of "everyone who came before me is an idiot" continues.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    So the wikipedia article on the Church-Turing thesis is nigh-identical to the first couple of pages of the material I have on the subject for my current Maths course.

I wonder which way round that happened.

• Options
    Shivahn, that is vi hart yes.

Good!

If I weren't at work I may have linked her. She is cool.

This discussion has been closed.