As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Math [chat]

24567100

Posts

  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    So the wikipedia article on the Church-Turing thesis is nigh-identical to the first couple of pages of the material I have on the subject for my current Maths course.

    I wonder which way round that happened.

    church-turing thesis = alonzo church was a total slut and cheated on alan leaving him heartbroken

    obF2Wuw.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    the sad thing about that video is that teaching children geometry is a surefire way to lose their interest

    ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    the sad thing about that video is that teaching children geometry is a surefire way to lose their interest

    geometry?

    more like poop...eometry

    obF2Wuw.png
    P10
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    one day, i will be called to make the new chat.

    And i will get banned for it.

    MARK MY WORDS! i will make a chat so outrageous, so amazing, so tantalizing that there will be no alternative to banning me to restore order.

    Also it might be promoting my card game.

    surrealitycheck
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I have seen so much of Lena Dunham's boobs today.

    It is ridiculous.

    She needs to keep her clothes on.
    4 realz

  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Also it might be promoting ronald reagan's burger bar.

    aRkpc.gif
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ;)

    aRkpc.gif
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I have seen so much of Lena Dunham's boobs today.

    It is ridiculous.

    She needs to keep her clothes on.
    4 realz

    Bit of a whore, right? :o

  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Also it might be promoting ronald reagan's burger bar.

    You'll see, Ronya, when you try my game, your mind will expand and your definition of pleasure will forever change.

  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    You should make a Québécois separatist chat one day, 21st

    It's subsequent collapse and failure will be the best meta-joke you'll ever produce

    Captain Carrot
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I have seen so much of Lena Dunham's boobs today.

    It is ridiculous.

    She needs to keep her clothes on.
    4 realz

    nah

  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Am I a bad person if I like most of Our Lady Peace's "Gravity" album?

    'Cause it makes me feel like a bad person.

    But I like it.

  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    I wish I had learned maths.

  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »
    You should make a Québécois separatist chat one day, 21st

    It's subsequent collapse and failure will be the best meta-joke you'll ever produce

    Yeah, perhaps. (I hope you're aware i'm not a separatist. Seceding would be such a dumb thing to do.)

  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Cinders wrote: »
    I wish I had learned maths.

    It is not too late.

    At least for the fun stuff.

  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Lena Dunham is totes adorbs

    BeNarwhalHappylilElf
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Am I a bad person if I like most of Our Lady Peace's "Gravity" album?

    'Cause it makes me feel like a bad person.

    But I like it.

    Nope, they are a good band. Just means you are old.

    Also they are great in person.

    u7stthr17eud.png
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    I wish I had learned maths.

    It is not too late.

    At least for the fun stuff.

    I don't really have time.

  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong For Workgroups Version 3.11 Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    I wish I had learned maths.

    Yeah, it's too late now. Already cemented over those folds in your brain with 1980s public access VHS tapes.

    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    FeralCindersSenjutsuEddy
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    conic sections got discarded from the singapore syllabus in the year before mine, if i remember correctly

    the precalc and such were still taught

    it was just found that students did not appreciate what the geometry was jabbering on about, and so it became somewhat like asking them to memorize all the countries in southern africa and listing all their different exports

    the relationship to polynomials just doesn't become appealing until you already have the foundation in real analysis - which is a pre-universe course, if it is taught before undergraduate math at all

    aRkpc.gif
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It really seems like bullshit that the Federation gave up cloaking technology in their treaty

    Like that was.... a bad decision

    Cloaking tech is ubiquitous in powerful empires and is crucial

    That's like... signing off on not using shields or transporters

    SenjutsuHappylilElfSo It Goes
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    that vi hart video reminds me of a thing I used to (and sometimes still) do.

    Start with a blank page, and draw a triangle in the center. The size, angle, etc, doesn't matter.

    Then draw another triangle off of one of the edges. Again, no restrictions, so long as it is a triangle.

    Repeat until you start to see something, then stop.

    (once in a while I'll rotate the page at this point and keep drawing triangles, but not usually)

    I generally show it to people and ask what they see, as a sort of random Rorschach Test.

  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    It continues to worry me that we have a robot overlord now

  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong For Workgroups Version 3.11 Registered User regular
    Hahahaha
    Someone apparently hacked into the Emergency Alert System and announced on KRTV and the CW that "dead bodies are rising from their graves" in several Montana counties.

    This message did not originate from KRTV, and there is no emergency.

    Our engineers are investigating to determine what happened and if it affected other media outlets.

    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    FeralHappylilElf
  • BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Lena Dunham is totes adorbs

    Oh I totally agree

    It's just that I marathon'd Girls today and man

    So much boob!
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Am I a bad person if I like most of Our Lady Peace's "Gravity" album?

    'Cause it makes me feel like a bad person.

    But I like it.

    Nope, they are a good band. Just means you are old.

    Also they are great in person.

    I've never seen a live show of theirs that wasn't through a television, to my great shame :(

    And I love all their stuff, it's just that my understanding was I wasn't supposed to love Gravity.

    But fuck da haters!

  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Maths is weird in that the more of it you learn the more of it becomes obvious.

    Which is why trying to follow proofs conducted on the fly by an eccentric professor who cut his teeth writing functions in assembler for supercomputers is ... challenging.

  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Tamin wrote: »
    that vi hart video reminds me of a thing I used to (and sometimes still) do.

    Start with a blank page, and draw a triangle in the center. The size, angle, etc, doesn't matter.

    Then draw another triangle off of one of the edges. Again, no restrictions, so long as it is a triangle.

    Repeat until you start to see something, then stop.

    (once in a while I'll rotate the page at this point and keep drawing triangles, but not usually)

    I generally show it to people and ask what they see, as a sort of random Rorschach Test.

    Here is what I would probably end up with:
    triangles-1.gif

  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i doodle anatomy

    obF2Wuw.png
  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    japan wrote: »
    Maths is weird in that the more of it you learn the more of it becomes obvious.

    Which is why trying to follow proofs conducted on the fly by an eccentric professor who cut his teeth writing functions in assembler for supercomputers is ... challenging.

    The connections between things are weird as shit when you realize them.

  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    mainly cocks

    obF2Wuw.png
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    It really seems like bullshit that the Federation gave up cloaking technology in their treaty

    Like that was.... a bad decision

    Cloaking tech is ubiquitous in powerful empires and is crucial

    That's like... signing off on not using shields or transporters

    Gene Roddenberry thought a lot of really weird things.

    Lh96QHG.png
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    When people talk about "North America", are they talking about the US and Canada?

    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I have seen so much of Lena Dunham's boobs today.

    It is ridiculous.

    She needs to keep her clothes on.
    4 realz

    Bit of a whore, right? :o

    nah, they just aren't all that great to look at. I feel like they're burning the apparent HBO original series nudity requirement on some weak ass bottom shelf titties.

  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What is the deal with Quebec? Why don't they want to be part of Canada, land of good manners? Instead of embracing their Canadian-ness, it's like they're trolling their own country in a drawn out way by teasing them with constant reminders about how awesome France is.

    If Canada were a family-friendly summer camp movie, Quebec would be the rich Valley girl who constantly complains how there are no malls or room service menus in the woods.

  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    that vi hart video reminds me of a thing I used to (and sometimes still) do.

    Start with a blank page, and draw a triangle in the center. The size, angle, etc, doesn't matter.

    Then draw another triangle off of one of the edges. Again, no restrictions, so long as it is a triangle.

    Repeat until you start to see something, then stop.

    (once in a while I'll rotate the page at this point and keep drawing triangles, but not usually)

    I generally show it to people and ask what they see, as a sort of random Rorschach Test.

    Here is what I would probably end up with:
    triangles-1.gif

    I see a vagina.

  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    When people talk about "North America", are they talking about the US and Canada?

    No, they actually mean France, Belgium and Switzerland. :P

  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Maths is weird in that the more of it you learn the more of it becomes obvious.

    Which is why trying to follow proofs conducted on the fly by an eccentric professor who cut his teeth writing functions in assembler for supercomputers is ... challenging.

    The connections between things are weird as shit when you realize them.

    I deliberately go back and re-read random chapters of my maths books sometimes.

    Because occasionally something will click deep inside my brain and concepts shift around like tectonic plates.

  • ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Also running into stuff from like twelve years ago is weird.

    Like remember the number line? I thought it was just a thing to make things more easily explainable. It never occurred to me that it's like, a topological representation of our normal algebra until I realized that cyclic groups are representable the same way.

  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    When people talk about "North America", are they talking about the US and Canada?

    No, they actually mean France, Belgium and Switzerland. :P

    he means, do they typically exclude Mexico

    and the answer is yes

  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong For Workgroups Version 3.11 Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    When people talk about "North America", are they talking about the US and Canada?

    If it's an official document, it means the Canada, The US, and Mexico. Casually, it does not generally include Mexico.

    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
This discussion has been closed.