As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Math [chat]

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It really seems like bullshit that the Federation gave up cloaking technology in their treaty

Like that was.... a bad decision

Cloaking tech is ubiquitous in powerful empires and is crucial

That's like... signing off on not using shields or transporters

They do eventually though iirc.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »
    that vi hart video reminds me of a thing I used to (and sometimes still) do.

Start with a blank page, and draw a triangle in the center. The size, angle, etc, doesn't matter.

Then draw another triangle off of one of the edges. Again, no restrictions, so long as it is a triangle.

Repeat until you start to see something, then stop.

(once in a while I'll rotate the page at this point and keep drawing triangles, but not usually)

I generally show it to people and ask what they see, as a sort of random Rorschach Test.

Here is what I would probably end up with:
    triangles-1.gif

I see a vagina.

I see the mcguffin from Zelda WiiU: Link Says Fuck It

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    mainly cocks

mainlycocks.jpg

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    There are 23 countries in North America and by North America we typically mean 2 of them

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    I wish I had learned maths.

Yeah, it's too late now. Already cemented over those folds in your brain with 1980s public access VHS tapes.

I knew I was throwing my intelligence away but watching every episode of Bleach was worth it

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Gasp, that man has a cock on his head.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Start with a blank page, and draw a triangle in the center. The size, angle, etc, doesn't matter.

Then draw another triangle off of one of the edges. Again, no restrictions, so long as it is a triangle.

(once in a while I'll rotate the page at this point and keep drawing triangles, but not usually)

I generally show it to people and ask what they see, as a sort of random Rorschach Test.

triangles-1.gif

I see a vagina.

Make it with hypertetrahedrons. Maybe you can see a four dimensional one.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    What is the deal with Quebec? Why don't they want to be part of Canada, land of good manners? Instead of embracing their Canadian-ness, it's like they're trolling their own country in a drawn out way by teasing them with constant reminders about how awesome France is.

If Canada were a family-friendly summer camp movie, Quebec would be the rich Valley girl who constantly complains how there are no malls or room service menus in the woods.

What's the deal with Texas? Why don't they want to be part of the greatest economy in the 20th century? it's like they think that just because they're a big state they can stand on their own.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Ronya, that image offends my American eyes.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

triangles-1.gif

I see a vagina.

Make it with hypertetrahedrons. Maybe you can see a four dimensional one.

i can see every vagina

forever

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    What is the deal with Quebec? Why don't they want to be part of Canada, land of good manners? Instead of embracing their Canadian-ness, it's like they're trolling their own country in a drawn out way by teasing them with constant reminders about how awesome France is.

If Canada were a family-friendly summer camp movie, Quebec would be the rich Valley girl who constantly complains how there are no malls or room service menus in the woods.

A lot of people grow up in Quebec essentially being told that they're not Canadian they're Quebecois because Quebec is it's own nation because History

it's a long and tiresome story

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

[img]http://wpc.puzzl es.com/history/tests/2000wpc/images/triangles-1.gif[/img]

5jozoWf.png

I don't like doing this on the computer very much. Not sure why.

But both my attempts started to look like things really early on.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I'm reading about hypercomputation and can't escape the feeling that this is what happens when maths postgrads do shrooms.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Seriously, though, Emn, are you just fucking around or are you genuinely curious?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod

Yours is better. Mine is an OCD joke :P

I don't like non equilateral triangles. Isosceles is all right, I guess.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Look it up, it's pretty interesting

There's always been a lot of tension between english Canada and french Canada

Quebec gets a lot of money from the federal gov, and provinces have a lot of autonomy, but they feel like Anglo Canada dictating how they operate treads on their distinct culture and sovereign independence.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

5jozoWf.png

vagina

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013

5jozoWf.png

I have to try pretty hard not to do that in the margins of people's invoices when I am writing them up.

It doesn't work on a computer, because I have to think too consciously about it.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

5jozoWf.png

vagina

He's a regular Georgia O'Keeffe.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Seriously look at some of this stuff
    While the machine will stabilize to the correct answer on any learnable set in some finite time, it can only identify it as correct if it is recursive; otherwise, the correctness is established only by running the machine forever and noting that it never revises its answer.

EDIT:
    According to a 1992 paper, a computer operating in a Malament-Hogarth spacetime or in orbit around a rotating black hole could theoretically perform non-Turing computations

japan on
  • Options

5jozoWf.png

Looks like a horse and rider.

• Options
    There's always been a lot of tension between english Canada and french Canada

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WULsZJxPfws

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    There are 23 countries in North America and by North America we typically mean 2 of them

I usually see people mean Canada + US + Mexico, unless they're specifically distinguishing between North and Latin America.

Fuck the Caribbean and Central America, we ain't got no time for your shit.

• Options
    japan wrote: »
    I'm reading about hypercomputation and can't escape the feeling that this is what happens when maths postgrads do shrooms.
    effectively, yeah

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular

5jozoWf.png

You're seeing the upper-right triangle as, what, an upraised arm or lance and the middle "split" triangle as a shield of some sort?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    redx I don't know if you're aware of this but you appear to now be a blue forward button

possibly a greater than sign

• Options
    Seriously, though, Emn, are you just fucking around or are you genuinely curious?

Meh. A tad interested. Are the cultures different between Quebec and the rest of Canada? Like, really different. Not 'California is different compared to Texas olol' different.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    It really seems like bullshit that the Federation gave up cloaking technology in their treaty

As far as I know only The Sisko is allowed to use cloaking tech, and that was only after he promised to only use it in the Delta quandrant. (a promise he didn't exactly keep, but hey there was a war on).

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Senjutsu wrote: »

I usually see people mean Canada + US + Mexico, unless they're specifically distinguishing between North and Latin America.

Fuck the Caribbean and Central America, we ain't got no time for your shit.

I don't even see people typically meaning Mexico, in casual conversation

when people say anything about "North American Culture" they are generally talking about norms that don't extend to Mexico

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    So I'm not officially out of my 90 day probationary period.

Which means I can get free courses from the university. I feel that if I don't take advantage of this I'm a fool, but I also feel like I have no use for a second bachelor's degree.

Maybe I'll just poke around in classes that look interesting with no regard for prerequisites or follow ups.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

5jozoWf.png

Very interesting. Tell me, what do you think of your mother?

*scribbles notes*

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

As far as I know only The Sisko is allowed to use cloaking tech, and that was only after he promised to only use it in the Delta quandrant. (a promise he didn't exactly keep, but hey there was a war on).

also given the sheer number of plots that revolve around detecting a cloaked ship, it's practical value seems limited

• Options

Meh. A tad interested. Are the cultures different between Quebec and the rest of Canada? Like, really different. Not 'California is different compared to Texas olol' different.

Well... Yes.

Yes the culture is vastly different.

• Options
    Having a different language and history will do that to a province, you know.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Goddamn it @Cambiata it's the Gamma Quadrant.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

I'm actually thinking of an episode of TNG, where Q is swapping Picard through 3 times in his life (Past, Present, Future).

In the future one, Riker's Captain of the Enterprise and it cloaks.

Granted, it's pretty much a throw away scene in a one-off episode. But what sort of Star Trek fan would I be if I didn't analyze every detail and assume it's part of a larger plan.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options

They speak a different language, have their own film, music, and television industries that create content that no one else on the continent watches or listens to, have a distinct history being the descendants of French colonies on the continent, have their own cuisines, traditions, idioms, slang, and swear words

so

yeah

• Options

What about those high school-aged kids who piloted a cloaked starship and spied on the Jin'Had-Jam'Hid -Jem Hadar?

They weren't concerned with possessing cloaking technology for Federation missions.

• Options
    oh and their legal system isn't based on English common law, unlike the rest of the country

This discussion has been closed.