As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Math [chat]

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Goddamn it @ Cambiata it's the Gamma Quadrant.

I ain't got time to remember which quandrant has which Greek letter, I have a galaxy to save.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    It really seems like bullshit that the Federation gave up cloaking technology in their treaty

Like that was.... a bad decision

Cloaking tech is ubiquitous in powerful empires and is crucial

That's like... signing off on not using shields or transporters

They do eventually though iirc.

As far as I know only The Sisko is allowed to use cloaking tech, and that was only after he promised to only use it in the Delta quandrant. (a promise he didn't exactly keep, but hey there was a war on).

What about those high school-aged kids who piloted a cloaked starship and spied on the Jin'Had-Jam'Hid -Jem Hadar?

They weren't concerned with possessing cloaking technology for Federation missions.

That was never an episode.

Lh96QHG.png
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    It really seems like bullshit that the Federation gave up cloaking technology in their treaty

As far as I know only The Sisko is allowed to use cloaking tech, and that was only after he promised to only use it in the Delta quandrant. (a promise he didn't exactly keep, but hey there was a war on).

I'm actually thinking of an episode of TNG, where Q is swapping Picard through 3 times in his life (Past, Present, Future).

In the future one, Riker's Captain of the Enterprise and it cloaks.

Granted, it's pretty much a throw away scene in a one-off episode. But what sort of Star Trek fan would I be if I didn't analyze every detail and assume it's part of a larger plan.

All Good Things... is the episode.

The ban on cloaking is tied to a treaty with the Klingons and the Romulans. They are at war with the Klingons in that episode so that treaty is null and void.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

What about those high school-aged kids who piloted a cloaked starship and spied on the Jin'Had-Jam'Hid -Jem Hadar?

They weren't concerned with possessing cloaking technology for Federation missions.

I seem to recall they were also wildly off-mission. But it's been a while since I've seen the episode. I just remember that Quark's nephew had to stand up to them.

Or what AMFE said

Tamin on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Seriously, though, Emn, are you just fucking around or are you genuinely curious?

Meh. A tad interested. Are the cultures different between Quebec and the rest of Canada? Like, really different. Not 'California is different compared to Texas olol' different.

They speak a different language, have their own film, music, and television industries that create content that no one else on the continent watches or listens to, have a distinct history being the descendants of French colonies on the continent, have their own cuisines, traditions, idioms, slang, and swear words

so

yeah

Their own films and television? Quebec types all speak English and French but prefer French, correct? They're not so nuts that they refuse to learn English, right?

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

That was never an episode.

Or more accurately, you're remembering an episode wrong.

The Valiant was staffed with academy cadets who were circumnavigating the Federation when the war started and they got caught behind enemy lines.

But they didn't have a cloaking device.

The Defiant was the only ship with one.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Oh man I finally got to see Worf be a bad ass and kill three Klingons in as many seconds, one of them without looking

Too bad the Klingon boarding parties seem to carry enough batleths to arm their enemies

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Seriously, though, Emn, are you just fucking around or are you genuinely curious?

Meh. A tad interested. Are the cultures different between Quebec and the rest of Canada? Like, really different. Not 'California is different compared to Texas olol' different.

They speak a different language, have their own film, music, and television industries that create content that no one else on the continent watches or listens to, have a distinct history being the descendants of French colonies on the continent, have their own cuisines, traditions, idioms, slang, and swear words

so

yeah

Their own films and television? Quebec types all speak English and French but prefer French, correct? They're not so nuts that they refuse to learn English, right?

Actually, most people aren't bilingual, no.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    And another glass is shattered

For the melodrama, mostly

Dammit Our Lady Peace, I thought I could trust you

:(

Tamin wrote: »

I seem to recall they were also wildly off-mission. But it's been a while since I've seen the episode. I just remember that Quark's nephew had to stand up to them.

Or what AMFE said

Jake and Nog tried to talk some sense to them but they were all America! Fuck yeah! and they all died horribly.

• SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular

so

yeah

No they do not all speak English, because for many of them there is no reason to do so.

These questions are, no offence, super naive.

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

so

yeah

why would that be nuts in a Francophone region?

japan on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    In fact, there's several pockets of people who don't learn French, either, Emn.

But i personally believe that English should be taught from a younger age, to ensure a higher proportion of Quebecois end up bilingual. It would certainly help. :)

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    More like Quedumb.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    there is a continual economic pressure to switch to english, which the quebec state has to desperately fight

aRkpc.gif
    Em, Quebeccers quite honestly have their own TV and films and music that they prefer over Canadian, American, European, or international content

Some of that is their mania for distinction, but they are very much like a little country inside Canada

Deep Quebec is not recognizable as the same country as Alberta, in many ways

Honestly Texas and California are very different too, although I'd say other deep south states are much more radically different than California or, say, NY

Em, Quebeccers quite honestly have their own TV and films and music that they prefer over Canadian, American, European, or international content

Some of that is their mania for distinction, but they are very much like a little country inside Canada

Honestly Texas and California are very different too, although I'd say other deep south states are much more radically different than California or, say, NY

EM, the proper term is Quebecois, not Quebeccer.

More like Quedumb.

Hey, don't talk about our little brother like that!

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    koobecker

aRkpc.gif
    Bilingualism!

jvyNTUb.jpg

The Welsh on that sign reads "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated"

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    imdum

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    There are way more bilingual Quebeccers and Franco-Ontarians than bilingual Anglos

They don't really need to learn English if they're away from the border with Ontario

I went to Montreal with my ex a few times.

She speaks French fluently, and I can do so haltingly, so we got along fine.

But I usually would just speak English because I am lazy, and it worked for the most part.

But then we went on a boat cruise and they didn't speak English at all and she had to ask the waiter for something for me and I was

Seriously humbled

No, Texans and Californians watch the same TV and eat the same food. Quebec and Canada's American analog would be if Arizona and Texas and New Mexico only spoke Spanish and pined for the days of Mexican rule and made Santa Anna's birthday a holiday while still being American states.

• SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

Texas and California are different, but Americans tend to overstate it

which is to say I've seen Americans claim that there's as much cultural distinctness between states in the US as between countries in Europe.

and it's like, no

Texas and California may have some differences

but Slovakia and Spain only have some similarities

Senjutsu on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    7 years of French class during my brains most absorbant.

I can count to ten. Introduce myself. Avec means with. Porqui is why... Arrett is stop. That's it.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

so

yeah

I assume he's thinking because if the majority of the country you live in speaks a language it might be a good idea to have a familiarity with it?

EM, the proper term is Quebecois, not Quebeccer.

Yes and it's actually spelled Quebecker I think

I call you guys becksters anyway

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    imdum

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    7 years of French class during my brains most absorbant.

I can count to ten. Introduce myself. Avec means with. Porqui is why... Arrett is stop. That's it.

pourquoi and arrête, yo...

It's a shame you didn't remember more, French is a delightful language. :)

so

yeah

I assume he's thinking because if the majority of the country you live in speaks a language it might be a good idea to have a familiarity with it?

English is best lish.

Guys

I'm having a seriously shitty night mood-wise

And I mean the feelings have merit - they're not the craziness caused by depression, so the good news is my meds are still working fine

I just haven't had one of these nights about the breakup in a while and I thought I was done with them

Guess not.

Bootstraps, Narwhal! What would spool think of you right now?! :P

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

But I usually would just speak English because I am lazy, and it worked for the most part.

But then we went on a boat cruise and they didn't speak English at all and she had to ask the waiter for something for me and I was

Seriously humbled

That sounds hot. I wanna be the girl who has to put out at the end of the night after my date ordered and paid for me.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Quebecrossaints

so

yeah

Actually, most people aren't bilingual, no.

its fucking embarrassing

even sillier, when you go there and you actually hear what they call "french" youre like lololol jesus christ guys you might want to go to france and try that on them and see how they react

This seems like an ignorant thing to say

How France reacts to other dialects does not make one iota of difference to the legitimacy of those dialects

Plus have you even heard someone from northern France? They're further away from standard European french than the most grizzled, honking French Canadian ever was.

so

yeah

Quebec is huge, though.

It's not like we're talking about a dinky little area with a language quirk, where at some point you're going to have to interact in a language other than your own in the course of your day-to-day life.

edited February 2013
    imdum

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Francophone

sonne sonne sonne sonne
    francophooooooooooone
    sonne sonne sonne sonne
    francophooooooooooooooooooooooone

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Sarksus wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

Seriously humbled

That sounds hot. I wanna be the girl who has to put out at the end of the night after my date ordered and paid for me.

She probably did pay, come to think of it

And I probably did put out

This discussion has been closed.