As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Math [chat]

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    Also African French is its own impenetrable thing, too.

All conflating its Ls and Rs.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Seriously, though, Emn, are you just fucking around or are you genuinely curious?

Meh. A tad interested. Are the cultures different between Quebec and the rest of Canada? Like, really different. Not 'California is different compared to Texas olol' different.

They speak a different language, have their own film, music, and television industries that create content that no one else on the continent watches or listens to, have a distinct history being the descendants of French colonies on the continent, have their own cuisines, traditions, idioms, slang, and swear words

so

yeah

Their own films and television? Quebec types all speak English and French but prefer French, correct? They're not so nuts that they refuse to learn English, right?

Actually, most people aren't bilingual, no.

its fucking embarrassing

even sillier, when you go there and you actually hear what they call "french" youre like lololol jesus christ guys you might want to go to france and try that on them and see how they react

This seems like an ignorant thing to say

How France reacts to other dialects does not make one iota of difference to the legitimacy of those dialects

Plus have you even heard someone from northern France? They're further away from standard European french than the most grizzled, honking French Canadian ever was.

normally id be all like LIVE AND LET LIVE

but after being there and hearing the amount of smoke they blow up their own asses about their french, including claims that it is "more authentic" i dont care

fuck quebeecccoooiiisss nationlissmmmmmmmmm

Fuck nationalism period. Quebecois or elsetype, yo.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    also there are obvs loads of nice quebec dudes and shit etc

but even with most of them there was some reflexive nonsense of this type

EDIT: the monoglot tendency in french canada was as bad as middle england little britain nonsense, and should be treated with the same level of scorn. LEARN FOREIGN LANGUAGES

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Quebecois nationalism is super dumb but you can understand how the constant pressure to homogenize with Ontario and the US esp linguistically provokes an overreaction

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    stop trying to erase their history you imperialist dogs

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Haitian French and creole is fucking awesome

I often can't understand it but it is so musical

Also old Haitian men have rad outfits

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    Seriously, though, Emn, are you just fucking around or are you genuinely curious?

Meh. A tad interested. Are the cultures different between Quebec and the rest of Canada? Like, really different. Not 'California is different compared to Texas olol' different.

They speak a different language, have their own film, music, and television industries that create content that no one else on the continent watches or listens to, have a distinct history being the descendants of French colonies on the continent, have their own cuisines, traditions, idioms, slang, and swear words

so

yeah

Their own films and television? Quebec types all speak English and French but prefer French, correct? They're not so nuts that they refuse to learn English, right?

why would that be nuts in a Francophone region?

I assume he's thinking because if the majority of the country you live in speaks a language it might be a good idea to have a familiarity with it?

Quebec is huge, though.

It's not like we're talking about a dinky little area with a language quirk, where at some point you're going to have to interact in a language other than your own in the course of your day-to-day life.

not really:

map-2006-pop-density-canada-sz01-en.gif

aRkpc.gif
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Quebecois nationalism is super dumb but you can understand how the constant pressure to homogenize with Ontario and the US esp linguistically provokes an overreaction

yes, and it should be recognised as ridiculous (or at least the elements of it that manifest as this particular type of nonsense). its like the embarrassing us parents who dont want their children bilingual english/spanish. its such an insanely old-fashioned ape-man approach to identity and interaction.

there are terrible strains in uk public thought of the same type.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i mean, right now, i have to admit, i'm defensive as fuck, i feel you guys are all attacking my culture and shit.

i'm off now... Because i can't deal with this shit.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Mood dramatically improved

I'm so fickle

It's the ADHD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qag6w_Tp50A

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

so

yeah

I assume he's thinking because if the majority of the country you live in speaks a language it might be a good idea to have a familiarity with it?

Quebec is huge, though.

It's not like we're talking about a dinky little area with a language quirk, where at some point you're going to have to interact in a language other than your own in the course of your day-to-day life.

No I get that

But as someone who doesn't have a lot of patience for nationalism

nationalism when you aren't even a nation irk's me even more

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Francophone

sonne sonne sonne sonne
    francophooooooooooone
    sonne sonne sonne sonne
    francophooooooooooooooooooooooone

:whistle: Frankin' ma phone,
    Frankin' ma phone. :whistle:

tumblr_ls0n3saoJr1qllse0o1_500.png

so

yeah

Quebec is huge, though.

No I get that

But as someone who doesn't have a lot of patience for nationalism

nationalism when you aren't even a nation irk's me even more

Actually, Quebec is considered a nation-within-a-nation.

i mean, right now, i have to admit, i'm defensive as fuck, i feel you guys are all attacking my culture and shit.

sorry dude

i apologise

i kind of went full retard there, my bad

obF2Wuw.png

sorry dude

i apologise

i kind of went full retard there, my bad

i accept your apology, Scheck. it's not like you can help it.

DAAAAMN! Did i say that?

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    stop trying to erase their history you imperialist dogs

Never!

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    This is a strikingly good production still from Scrooged

bobcat.jpg

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    21st growing some wicked sack

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    ronya wrote: »

so

yeah

Quebec is huge, though.

not really:

It has a population larger than, say, Denmark.

I don't see people queuing up to insist that the Danish are being collectively silly and should just learn German.

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

I take full credit for this growth.

i grew in every way in the two years i spent here. :)

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »

so

yeah

Quebec is huge, though.

not really:

It has a population larger than, say, Denmark.

I don't see people queuing up to insist that the Danish are being collectively silly and should just learn German.

People might be able to understand them when they speak if they did that.

I'm reacting to this discussion precisely as a Metis should

Indecision, self-doubt and hatred of the white man

This reaction being nearly instinctive at this point pleases me :P

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I went to Montreal with my ex a few times.

She speaks French fluently, and I can do so haltingly, so we got along fine.

But I usually would just speak English because I am lazy, and it worked for the most part.

But then we went on a boat cruise and they didn't speak English at all and she had to ask the waiter for something for me and I was

Seriously humbled

That sounds hot. I wanna be the girl who has to put out at the end of the night after my date ordered and paid for me.

She probably did pay, come to think of it

And I probably did put out

Yeaaaah

its fair enough there is no excuse for being a douchebag!

obF2Wuw.png
    Or for a possibly better example, in the "minority language within a country" sense: Flemish.

its fair enough there is no excuse for being a douchebag!

there is no excuse but there are plenty of advantages.

But sersly, i'm off, gonna play some DragQuest9 and then sleep.

Good night, you silly fellas.

And have a tabarnak de bonne nuit.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Welcome to being a White Male Christian American, 21st.

Lh96QHG.png

darmok and jalad at tanagara when the walls fell to you too

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Or for a possibly better example, in the "minority language within a country" sense: Flemish.

yes and belgium nearly tore itself apart in civil war over that

in the 1970s

there are multiple ethnic-bargain systems all over the world, from canada to malaysia, and I tend to regard them all with quite a lot of scepticism. demographic changes always complicate things. sometimes it works. sometimes it detonates, a la lebanon.

aRkpc.gif
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    It's good that there's a thread for r/atheism to shunt itself into now.

Lh96QHG.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Hopefully I never spend 10 and 1/2 solid hours in a classroom again

JKKaAGp.png
    I mean, I love Quebec, and will defend passionately their right to their own "nation-within-a-nation"-hood

And their own separate cultural identity, etc

But the native half of me reacts harshly whenever words like "heritage" are tossed around

Ugh.

If I go to be now I might get four and a half hours sleep.

I brought this on myself.

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    okay I finished reading this book of bodyweight excercises

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

darmok and jalad at tanagara when the walls fell to you too
    07FgWZA.png

Also we did today all backwards, [chat]

It's supposed to be political discussion in the morning, silly basement-dwelling game in the evening

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    okay I finished reading this book of bodyweight excercises

So you're huge now right

This discussion has been closed.