As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Math [chat]

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    hunting potential mentors is fun and stressful
    one was like "would love to have you but I am straight up bailing, don't tell anyone"

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    one was like "would love to have you but I am straight up bailing, don't tell anyone"

like real mentor or is this daddy thing
    just don't answer me if it's a daddy thing

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    The hairiest of bears.

• Options
    i need a science daddy
    who will give me money so I do the science

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

look i just want someone older than me to pay for everything and then fuck me rotten

what is weird about that

• Options

look i just want someone older than me to pay for everything and then fuck me rotten

what is weird about that
    this still describes my need for a scientific mentor

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

what is weird about that
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mat2xztctmg

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Hey all,

My girlfriend's laptop has been overheating a lot recently and the underside is approximately a zillion degrees when it happens.

Anyone have a recommendation on a cooling stand/fan/thing for it?

She connects out via USB and HDMI for controls and monitor, so it doesn't need to be comfortable at all, just good at cooling.

• Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular

what is weird about that
    this still describes my need for a scientific mentor
    That accurately describes all grad students ever. More than a few undergrads looking for research too.

• Options
    Delmain wrote: »
    Hey all,

My girlfriend's laptop has been overheating a lot recently and the underside is approximately a zillion degrees when it happens.

She connects out via USB and HDMI for controls and monitor, so it doesn't need to be comfortable at all, just good at cooling.

first you need to blow it out. Then just get a coolermaster fan stand thingy from a big box store or amazon

• Options
    I found my dream lab but there is a severe deficiency in funds. He came up with a bunch of ways we can find money but that makes me nervous.

• Options
    Hey all,

Dry ice.

In seriousness, I don't have much experience with laptop stands, but simply getting it an inch or so of clearance may help. Before you grab a stand, try a book or two (well, maybe 4). If they help with temperature, then buy a stand. If they don't, start making sure that any fans you can see aren't dead.

• Options

what is weird about that
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mat2xztctmg
    I just let out the most depressing sigh.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    okay I finished reading this book of bodyweight excercises

So you're huge now right

brain wrinklier than ever

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

I can top that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAcp5WQcXEw

• Options

what is weird about that
    https://www.youtube.com /watch?v=mat2xztctmg

want to stare further into the pit of madness? Check out pamperchu's channel and see his many, many videos of vintage baby toys/supplies including his pacifier collection.

STARE

STARE INTO THE ABYSS

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Em for God's sake nobody cares about your overwrought and cartoonish mensrights obsession. White men still own the free world, shut the fuck up and show proper white guilt you damn neonazi.*.

*this is humor.

Ludious on
  • Options
    I found my dream lab but there is a severe deficiency in funds. He came up with a bunch of ways we can find money but that makes me nervous.
    Lack of funds makes me immediately suspect that there is something up (admittedly, that's without knowing the field. There are quite a few where I wouldn't be troubled at all). Prime culprits being not doing research anyone cares about and being awful at writing grant proposals. The last seems to mean that the new guy may get saddled with that delightful and stressless task. On the other hand, if the guy running it has some ideas then it may just be that he's between grants and life will get better.

Either way, good luck

• Options
    Yeah, I'm taking it apart tomorrow to blow out any dust that might have caked up in there. The fan is definitely blowing, but I don't think it's circulating to the GPU because it's one area of the bottom that is getting really hot and it's opposite the fan exhausts.

And yeah, I balanced it up on a ledge last week and it helped, but still overheated after a couple hours. Not the whole system shutting down, just the GPU going wonky and going back to desktop for a while let it cool down and it worked again, so it's definitely a bottom-of-the-case cooling issue.

Thanks for the coolermaster tip though, I've seen a few of them looking in another tab, but I want a few more opinions beyond Amazon reviews.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

I clicked because she was hot

Then her stupid burned my brain

• Options
    Yeah, I'm taking it apart tomorrow to blow out any dust that might have caked up in there. The fan is definitely blowing, but I don't think it's circulating to the GPU because it's one area of the bottom that is getting really hot and it's opposite the fan exhausts.

And yeah, I balanced it up on a ledge last week and it helped, but still overheated after a couple hours. Not the whole system shutting down, just the GPU going wonky and going back to desktop for a while let it cool down and it worked again, so it's definitely a bottom-of-the-case cooling issue.

Thanks for the coolermaster tip though, I've seen a few of them looking in another tab, but I want a few more opinions beyond Amazon reviews.

take it apart if you feel you must but if you just stick the nozzle of a can of air in the vents and blow it out really good, you should see billowing clouds of dust. That is usually quite enough.

Unless your GF is a smoker and then I have a more advanced fix:

Leave her because that's fucking disgusting.

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Time to blow this popsicle stand
    :winky:

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Does he have terminal cancer? Is he a chemistry teacher with a family to support?

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Seriously, though, Emn, are you just fucking around or are you genuinely curious?

Meh. A tad interested. Are the cultures different between Quebec and the rest of Canada? Like, really different. Not 'California is different compared to Texas olol' different.

They speak a different language, have their own film, music, and television industries that create content that no one else on the continent watches or listens to, have a distinct history being the descendants of French colonies on the continent, have their own cuisines, traditions, idioms, slang, and swear words

so

yeah

Their own films and television? Quebec types all speak English and French but prefer French, correct? They're not so nuts that they refuse to learn English, right?

why would that be nuts in a Francophone region?

I assume he's thinking because if the majority of the country you live in speaks a language it might be a good idea to have a familiarity with it?

Quebec is huge, though.

It's not like we're talking about a dinky little area with a language quirk, where at some point you're going to have to interact in a language other than your own in the course of your day-to-day life.

not really:
    map-2006-pop-density-canada-sz01-en.gif

It has a population larger than, say, Denmark.

I don't see people queuing up to insist that the Danish are being collectively silly and should just learn German.

We do all learn English though. Plus a third language, French for some but German for most people.

• Options
    wait a third language. I count English and french or german

that's two

what's the third

do Canadians have a secret language.

I FUCKING KNEW IT.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    clearly jakobagger has kidnapped kosh and is wearing his skin as a trophy

• Options
    Syrdon wrote: »
    Lack of funds makes me immediately suspect that there is something up (admittedly, that's without knowing the field. There are quite a few where I wouldn't be troubled at all). Prime culprits being not doing research anyone cares about and being awful at writing grant proposals. The last seems to mean that the new guy may get saddled with that delightful and stressless task. On the other hand, if the guy running it has some ideas then it may just be that he's between grants and life will get better.

Either way, good luck
    He just got a new RO1 but not for the project I am rotating on.

• Options
    oh yeah Americans have a secret language too. I forgot. It's called Freedom, maybe you've heard it. It sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QDAT1PlVyw

• Options

take it apart if you feel you must but if you just stick the nozzle of a can of air in the vents and blow it out really good, you should see billowing clouds of dust. That is usually quite enough.

Unless your GF is a smoker and then I have a more advanced fix:

Leave her because that's fucking disgusting.

I agree with you on that last note.

But no, I've pulled apart more than my share of laptops. It's absolutely something I'm comfortable with, and I can get it cleaner blowing out from the inside than blowing in from the outside. She'll be without her laptop for like an hour, but it'll be better in the long term.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Hello [chat]. How are you this evening?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    many laptop stands suck

i'm using a completely aluminium three-fan one now, though, which is the best i've tried

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    jakobagger wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Seriously, though, Emn, are you just fucking around or are you genuinely curious?

Meh. A tad interested. Are the cultures different between Quebec and the rest of Canada? Like, really different. Not 'California is different compared to Texas olol' different.

They speak a different language, have their own film, music, and television industries that create content that no one else on the continent watches or listens to, have a distinct history being the descendants of French colonies on the continent, have their own cuisines, traditions, idioms, slang, and swear words

so

yeah

Their own films and television? Quebec types all speak English and French but prefer French, correct? They're not so nuts that they refuse to learn English, right?

why would that be nuts in a Francophone region?

I assume he's thinking because if the majority of the country you live in speaks a language it might be a good idea to have a familiarity with it?

Quebec is huge, though.

It's not like we're talking about a dinky little area with a language quirk, where at some point you're going to have to interact in a language other than your own in the course of your day-to-day life.

not really:
    map-2006-pop-density-canada-sz01-en.gif

It has a population larger than, say, Denmark.

I don't see people queuing up to insist that the Danish are being collectively silly and should just learn German.

We do all learn English though. Plus a third language, French for some but German for most people.

You're Danish?

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular

that's two

what's the third

I FUCKING KNEW IT.

japan was talking about Denmark, where we all speak Danish.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    caw caw

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I knew jakobagger was Danish but that's because I keep tabs on all of you

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    jakobagger wrote: »

that's two

what's the third

I FUCKING KNEW IT.

japan was talking about Denmark, where we all speak Danish.

You speak to danishes?

Ohh, you speak with danishes. That must be extraordinarily fattening.

• Options
    Wait, you're not Kosh...

• Options
    clearly jakobagger has kidnapped kosh and is wearing his skin as a trophy

People (jokingly?) confused me for him a couple of times, I decided to run with it.

• Options
    @Geth, we have a doppelganger here!

This discussion has been closed.