Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[PA Comic] Friday, February 8, 2013 - Age Of Majority

2»

Posts

  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Why...is Gabe's hair blue?

    There's a filter effect over the comic. The black lines for the characters are bluish too.

    I'm getting really tired of people bitching about the art of comics. It's cartoons you guys, not Presidential Portrait quality drawings.

    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Henroid wrote: »
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Why...is Gabe's hair blue?

    There's a filter effect over the comic. The black lines for the characters are bluish too.

    I'm getting really tired of people bitching about the art of comics. It's cartoons you guys, not Presidential Portrait quality drawings.

    Hey now, I disagree that art in comics shouldn't be critiqued.

    But I also disagree with the things people tend to critque... basically people seem to complain any time Gabe tries something new or stretches his abilites and gets better and that makes my roll my eyes.

    I am glad they seem to have gotten over the trench nose fad for the most part, though.

    Cambiata on
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    Nergy wrote: »
    I know Gabe isn't exactly a 1:1 scale Mike. But I remember Mike saying in an old podcast he grew up with only a Genesis and got a Super Nintendo when he was older. I could be misremembering what he said.
    540837405_nK8hG-L-2.jpg

    Hella retcon.

    emot-kamina.gif BELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    This comic, combined with the fact that the monorail episode of Simpsons is 20 years old, makes me feel so damn old.

    Dhalphir
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Nergy wrote: »
    I know Gabe isn't exactly a 1:1 scale Mike. But I remember Mike saying in an old podcast he grew up with only a Genesis and got a Super Nintendo when he was older. I could be misremembering what he said.
    540837405_nK8hG-L-2.jpg

    Hella retcon.

    It's not a "retcon," because PA barely has any semblance of "con" to "ret." :P They're always doing strips based on amalgamations of experiences the two of them have had, or ascribing something that one of them said or did in real life to the other's comic persona for enhanced humor, or whatever.

    bowen wrote: »
    The bacteria in your poop exist everywhere.
  • MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Yeah they kind of need to have been attempting a consistent narrative at all for that to be something to give a shit about.
    I like the idea that each individual strip is a self contained universe.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    comrade904 wrote: »
    Ok so check it, first I was gonna point out that he's losing to his son, but then I realized that it was not easy to put in words... Whats the protocol on this?

    Do I say "Hey, anyone notice Mike is losing to Gabe?" However, the Penny Arcade Gabe has been around longer than the real life Gabe that seems odd, makes it seem like Mike's Son's name is Mike, or that Gabe in the comic is named Mike. Neither is accurate

    Do I say "Hey anyone notice Gabe Jr. is beating Gabe?" This seems like it's probably "more" accurate but still something still seems off about it.

    Alternatively I could say "Hey anyone notice Gabe's son is beating him?" This seems the most honest but a little detached from the characters.

    Apparently I only have space in my head for one world or the other, when you try to combine both my head explodes... Good stuffs
    Uh, I was just going to note that "Gabe is getting destroyed at Super Mario Kart by his son" without a bunch of mental anguish. Not too hard.

    And yes I know Mike just arbitrarily used this for the TV screen.

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    FCD wrote: »
    I've always been fond of the US Super Nintendo's design. It kinda reminds me of the Famicom, only purple and gray, rather than brownish red and gray.
    Yeah, I have no idea what Maz- is bitching about. The U.S. SNES redesign was just fine. If you're going to complain about a Japan->U.S. console redesign, there's only one that's truly valid: the NES. And that's because the shitty loading mechanism gave the system all those troubles loading games. Why couldn't the original NES have been a toploader? So much time would have been saved not having to practice console voodoo.

    forty on
    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    forty wrote: »
    FCD wrote: »
    I've always been fond of the US Super Nintendo's design. It kinda reminds me of the Famicom, only purple and gray, rather than brownish red and gray.
    Yeah, I have no idea what Maz- is bitching about. The U.S. SNES redesign was just fine. If you're going to complain about a Japan->U.S. console redesign, there's only one that's truly valid: the NES. And that's because the shitty loading mechanism gave the system all those troubles loading games. Why couldn't the original NES have been a toploader? So much time would have been saved not having to practice console voodoo.

    The NES basically looks the way it does because Nintendo was trying to make it look as un-video gamey as possible, because video games were sort of considered a fad that had already passed in the US at the time. They wanted to make it look more like a VCR or some other more utilitarian piece of electronics, instead. Thus, game loads in and is concealed by a slot in the front. This is probably the reason for some of the weird terminology they used for the different components and packages ("Control Deck," etc).

    As for the US Super Nintendo, nothing wrong with the design, though I would have preferred they had stuck with the four-color Super Famicom scheme instead of going with the purple accents.

    Gaslight on
    bowen wrote: »
    The bacteria in your poop exist everywhere.
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Gaslight wrote: »
    The NES basically looks the way it does because Nintendo was trying to make it look as un-video gamey as possible, because video games were sort of considered a fad that had already passed in the US at the time. They wanted to make it look more like a VCR or some other more utilitarian piece of electronics, instead. Thus, game loads in and is concealed by a slot in the front. This is probably the reason for some of the weird terminology they used for the different components and packages ("Control Deck," etc).

    Atari made a big crater when it fell.
    (Which was promptly filled with unsold E.T. cartridges.)

    Commander Zoom on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    TofystedethSgt.Big_Bubbaloola
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    All the kid needs to see is Yoshi's Island. Worth keeping a SNES around for that

  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Nergy wrote: »
    I know Gabe isn't exactly a 1:1 scale Mike. But I remember Mike saying in an old podcast he grew up with only a Genesis and got a Super Nintendo when he was older. I could be misremembering what he said.
    540837405_nK8hG-L-2.jpg

    Hella retcon.

    It's not a "retcon," because PA barely has any semblance of "con" to "ret." :P They're always doing strips based on amalgamations of experiences the two of them have had, or ascribing something that one of them said or did in real life to the other's comic persona for enhanced humor, or whatever.

    Considering both strips are based on Mike's life, it's a retcon of his life maybe :P (I'm guessing the actual conversation this new one is based on didn't involve the first panel so much :P)

    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    The NES basically looks the way it does because Nintendo was trying to make it look as un-video gamey as possible, because video games were sort of considered a fad that had already passed in the US at the time. They wanted to make it look more like a VCR or some other more utilitarian piece of electronics, instead. Thus, game loads in and is concealed by a slot in the front. This is probably the reason for some of the weird terminology they used for the different components and packages ("Control Deck," etc).

    Atari made a big crater when it fell.
    (Which was promptly filled with unsold E.T. cartridges.)

    I like to think that the crater drilled straight through the crust to the molten layer of E.T. cartridges roiling beneath.

    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    FCD wrote: »
    I've always been fond of the US Super Nintendo's design. It kinda reminds me of the Famicom, only purple and gray, rather than brownish red and gray.
    Yeah, I have no idea what Maz- is bitching about. The U.S. SNES redesign was just fine. If you're going to complain about a Japan->U.S. console redesign, there's only one that's truly valid: the NES. And that's because the shitty loading mechanism gave the system all those troubles loading games. Why couldn't the original NES have been a toploader? So much time would have been saved not having to practice console voodoo.

    The NES basically looks the way it does because Nintendo was trying to make it look as un-video gamey as possible, because video games were sort of considered a fad that had already passed in the US at the time. They wanted to make it look more like a VCR or some other more utilitarian piece of electronics, instead. Thus, game loads in and is concealed by a slot in the front. This is probably the reason for some of the weird terminology they used for the different components and packages ("Control Deck," etc).

    As for the US Super Nintendo, nothing wrong with the design, though I would have preferred they had stuck with the four-color Super Famicom scheme instead of going with the purple accents.
    Oh, I know about the history of it and why they modeled it that way. The point is that because of that decision, we had to suffer with faulty, frustrating hardware that wasn't fixed until the revision in 1993, well after the NES was obsolete. I don't care about the look. I care about faulty contacts and games failing to play.

    The best card in Hearthstone is your credit card.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »
    forty wrote: »
    FCD wrote: »
    I've always been fond of the US Super Nintendo's design. It kinda reminds me of the Famicom, only purple and gray, rather than brownish red and gray.
    Yeah, I have no idea what Maz- is bitching about. The U.S. SNES redesign was just fine. If you're going to complain about a Japan->U.S. console redesign, there's only one that's truly valid: the NES. And that's because the shitty loading mechanism gave the system all those troubles loading games. Why couldn't the original NES have been a toploader? So much time would have been saved not having to practice console voodoo.

    The NES basically looks the way it does because Nintendo was trying to make it look as un-video gamey as possible, because video games were sort of considered a fad that had already passed in the US at the time. They wanted to make it look more like a VCR or some other more utilitarian piece of electronics, instead. Thus, game loads in and is concealed by a slot in the front. This is probably the reason for some of the weird terminology they used for the different components and packages ("Control Deck," etc).

    As for the US Super Nintendo, nothing wrong with the design, though I would have preferred they had stuck with the four-color Super Famicom scheme instead of going with the purple accents.
    Oh, I know about the history of it and why they modeled it that way. The point is that because of that decision, we had to suffer with faulty, frustrating hardware that wasn't fixed until the revision in 1993, well after the NES was obsolete. I don't care about the look. I care about faulty contacts and games failing to play.

    Did you blow on the cart? That usually helps.

    Mugsley wrote:
    So now I need to get it trimmed and adjusted, and all in.

    Steam:MichaelLC
  • DCAarmusDCAarmus Registered User regular
    This reminds me of an amazing interaction I witnessed a few months ago when I was in a mom and pop used game store. A woman was in there with her son, just idly browsing. He stopped at the collection of loose game carts and just stared at them, eyes agape. Sensing her son's fascination, the woman interjected,

    "Those are cartridges. That's how we used to play games."

    She then handed a crusty old NES cart to her still stunned offspring who studied the object like it has just fallen from space.

    My internal monologue ran the gamut from "D'awwwwww!" to "I'M SO OLD!" Still, it's an incredible feeling to have seen an industry grow from the very beginning, and then to pass on that history to the next generation. I'm amazed by how well some of the old hardware has held up. That plastic could take some serious abuse!

    ZxerolCommander ZoomZilla360
  • DuelLadySDuelLadyS Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Bah- I never worry too much about stuff like this... I mean, I just installed a manual coaxial switcher/F-plug adapter deal into my already bloated entertainment setup so I can play Intellivison/Atari 2600 games. Although I need to get an Atari that works first.

    I like seeing the older stuff, makes you really awestruch by how things have progressed in such a short time. I mean, we have tablets that can hold the entire Intellvision library and all the emulators needed to run it, that are no bigger than the attachment that made some of the games talk a little. It's nuts. I LOVE IT.

    Also- wiggle your NES carts instead of blowing on them. It works better.

    DuelLadyS on
    Commander Zoom
  • MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Great comic. The SNES is near and dear to my heart, and in opinion the best system of all time. No console's library can touch it. All the Mario/Zelda stuff, Square titles, the list goes on etc.

    It is strange and a little sad to think today's generation won't understand gaming without online play, DLC, patches, IAP, and so forth. We bought titles and if they sucked, they sucked. If they were good, we played them over and over. If I had kids I would gladly dust off some old machines for them to go nuts on.


  • DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    I never did get an SNES. I wanted one, sure, but my parents weren't going to get me one. As far as they were concerned, the NES I had saved for and bought a few years prior was enough, and they didn't like me being more interested in videogames than in scholastic or athletic ventures. Fortunately, due to a workplace computer upgrade, I got a nifty 386DX-25 for free, and they agreed to a video card upgrade, so I played a lot of Doom and other assorted games.

    Still, I loved SMB3 and always wanted to play SMW. Maybe one day I'll get around to it.

  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    Nergy wrote: »
    I know Gabe isn't exactly a 1:1 scale Mike. But I remember Mike saying in an old podcast he grew up with only a Genesis and got a Super Nintendo when he was older. I could be misremembering what he said.
    540837405_nK8hG-L-2.jpg

    Hella retdreadedcon.
    Fixed.

    Also, yeah, it's kind of crazy to think that I remember when Super Mario Bros 3 came out.

    steam_sig.png
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Durkhanus wrote: »
    I never did get an SNES. I wanted one, sure, but my parents weren't going to get me one.

    I had a similar path. Had a NES, then next console was an XBOX with several PCs between.

    Mugsley wrote:
    So now I need to get it trimmed and adjusted, and all in.

    Steam:MichaelLC
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    My parents had an Atari and Intellivision for as long as my memory goes back, but they never got us kids any consoles after that. My memories of Nintendo were of my parents leaving me in the Exchange (at the local AFB, my father was retired airforce) playing Super Mario Brothers on the display console, while they did the grocery shopping at the commissary.

2»
Sign In or Register to comment.