As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lara Croft and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Also this gif features a pretty brutal death scene and you should not watch it if you are Blake and/or squeamish

well that's definitely a thing

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    This game has to end with her covered in blood and kicking the bad guy off a boat/plane.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Kochikens wrote: »
    violence against women makes you uncomfortable???

how dreadful that must be for you to experience

So your saying I shouldn't say that from what I see this game feels exploitive and explain why? Because what you said is pretty belittling and rude.

go ahead and explain why then

Because if I just said violence against women and displayed it with a lack context it wouldn't mean anything so I added context and you were rude.

Secondly not all violence against women does make me uncomfortable, women on women violence is no less horrid than man on man violence, but it isn't necesarily exploitive.

I meant why do you think this game is exploitative.

I've heard a lot of opinions but nothing concrete other than, 'It has violence against women and that makes me uncomfortable', from many people and groups. Which to me isn't an argument for it being exploitative and I'd like to hear why you feel it is.

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    wake me when they make it a Blaxploitation reboot

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    That first gif you linked was brutal and I'd cringe if I saw that in any game.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Personally I am all for a video game starring a bad ass lady who slaughters an island full of pirates with her righteous action
    lead fury.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    violence against women makes you uncomfortable???

how dreadful that must be for you to experience

So your saying I shouldn't say that from what I see this game feels exploitive and explain why? Because what you said is pretty belittling and rude.

go ahead and explain why then

Because if I just said violence against women and displayed it with a lack context it wouldn't mean anything so I added context and you were rude.

Secondly not all violence against women does make me uncomfortable, women on women violence is no less horrid than man on man violence, but it isn't necesarily exploitive.

I meant why do you think this game is exploitative.

I've heard a lot of opinions but nothing concrete other than, 'It has violence against women and that makes me uncomfortable', from many people and groups. Which to me isn't an argument for it being exploitative and I'd like to hear why you feel it is.

And that is not what you said in your first comment.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular

Lara Croft: Unchained

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    okay??

i'm not sure what's going on here any more but i'm prettysure i got better stuff to do sorry if we've had a misunderstanding or something or whatever this is

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »

can you imagine the backlash if that happened?

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    why isn't there a django unchained video game

or really just any video game with conversation choices written by quentin tarantino

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

or really just any video game with conversation choices written by quentin tarantino
    Oh look, here is your answer.
    Langly wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »

can you imagine the backlash if that happened?

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    pfft, backlash

PNk1Ml4.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Isn't Lara Croft: Unchained basically Bayonetta

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    I never liked the Tomb Raider series, because it just always felt like the pitch was:

Guy 1: How about a video game version of Indiana Jones that plays as shoot-up/platformer?

Guy 2: OK, but since we can't afford to license that character, we'll just make up our own.

Guy 1: Sure, but let's turn this around and make it a woman instead.

Guy 2: Awesome, so incredibly huge tits, tight shorts, and chock full of jiggle-ocity.

Guy 3: Ummmmm...do we need that? Can't it just be a woman that explores lost ruins for ancient artifacts?

Guy 1 and 2: Whatever queermo...tits or GTFO.

I would love to see Tomb Raider get the Hawkeye experiment treatment.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    pfft, backlash

Bat Lash?

kyrcl.png
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Hullis wrote: »
    Isn't Lara Croft: Unchained basically Bayonetta

bayonetta isn't black?

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't give a fuck about all of this political mumbo-jumbo.

This game is going to be fucking awesome and I am pumped for it.

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote: »
    I never liked the Tomb Raider series, because it just always felt like the pitch was:

Guy 1: How about a video game version of Indiana Jones that plays as shoot-up/platformer?

Guy 2: OK, but since we can't afford to license that character, we'll just make up our own.

Guy 1: Sure, but let's turn this around and make it a woman instead.

Guy 2: Awesome, so incredibly huge tits, tight shorts, and chock full of jiggle-ocity.

Guy 3: Ummmmm...do we need that? Can't it just be a woman that explores lost ruins for ancient artifacts?

Guy 1 and 2: Whatever queermo...tits or GTFO.

I would love to see Tomb Raider get the Hawkeye experiment treatment.

Fun fact, Lara's breast size was a result of a developer accidentally moving a slider too far (or something to that effect) and going "Well ok then".

As for this game, I'm still on the fence, I'll definitely wait for some opinions to filter out first.

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    pretty excited for this game

i didn't realize it was coming out this soon!

that's pretty cool

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I do not like over the top violence in my video games so there's no way I'm playing this one.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Hullis wrote: »
    Here's 11 minutes of gameplay with developer commentary!

http://www.viddler.com/v/fdc84458?secret=36285036

I just watched this

Holy shit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMyCa35_mOg

UnbreakableVow on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Ni No Kuni and Bioshock Infinite will be taking up my time in March, sorry Laura.

Assuming Infinite actually comes out on fucking time.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular

/ Talk about cheeseburgers
    o - Describe what Marsellus Wallace looks like!
    \ I don't remember askin' you a Goddamn thing!

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well it's pretty much Tomb Raider and Heart of the swarm for me with the few random steam daily sale games

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Also this gif features a pretty brutal death scene and you should not watch it if you are Blake and/or squeamish

well that's definitely a thing

Yeah that is pretty icky. And I think more graphic than the RE4 gif linked earlier, because of the flailing. I mean in the RE gif the guy gets beheaded and it seems like pretty instant death. In this you get at least a second or two of her clawing at the (spear? stick? what even is that?), clearly still alive. That makes it harder to watch imo.

Would be just as hard to watch if it was a male character though.

Also just watched that 'attempted rape' scene in the trailer and it was WAY less extreme than I had been led to expect from reading reaction about it. I was thinking it showed her being thrown around and pinned down or whatever. The actual scene is a bit creepy but really not bad.

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I kinda want to play this but I just can't cope with gore and violence to that degree. There's no reason for it at all.

And instant death mechanics in games piss me off - especially if I have to watch a 30 second cut scene of your character being brutalized or mauled because of it. The most greivous I can think of is Resident Evil 5, where a game over in the town square results in a long cut scene of you being hacked to death from the first person with hatchets and machetes by a crazed group of infected african people.

I don't need to see it. I don't want to see it. I'll be avoiding games like this for the same exact reason that I avoided watching Hostel, Saw, or The Human Centipede.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Did you play Deus Ex: Human Revolution DDV? If so what did you think of the kill moves in that?

Never did. I played and enjoy the ninja gaiden games, though.

But the thing is, there are enemy beheadings happening in Ninja Gaiden and generally horrible things you do to enemies in most action games

I find it really weird that people are okay doing bad things to enemies, but as soon as it's directed at the player, it's just too much

That scene in RE5 is hard to watch, yes. Same with the chainsaw in RE4, yet you hand out some pretty brutal deaths yourself. I like that some games make player death uncomfortable; I think it actually goes a long way to prevent desensitizing of violence that would occur in games like Call of Duty where you just instantly respawn (in multi) or lazily fall over with a red screen (in campaign)

The most egregious example I can think of is God of War. You bash Theseus' head in repeatedly, throw Perseus onto a meat hook, hack apart the extremities from the Sisters of Fate, and gouge Poseidon's eyes out (from the first-person view of the victim!). But when Kratos dies? Just a lazy spin and fall to the ground.

Well, I mean, you also shoot and kill the enemies in RE. But it's not quite the same. And 99% of the enemies you're handing down brutal death to in NG are either spider-mutant ninjas (in the second game) or demons. And there are human enemies in like 4 areas in the first game - the unmutated black spider clan guys, the vigoor soldiers, the vigoor police, and Murai's ninja in chapter 1.

There's just something awful about watching people die horrible deaths, and I don't want to play games with that shit in them. Ninja Gaiden's violence just seems comical by comparison - you're using a sword/nunchaku/whatever to slice up, cut apart, bludgeon, or otherwise fuck up your enemies, sure, but there's something different about it. Maybe I'm just a hypocrite.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I am so pumped for this game. I have my pre-order paid off.

I love, love, loved Legend so much

and Guardian of Light was amazing and I want a sequel

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    horrifying drawn out deaths of the Player Character are fine to a point. That point being if they are 15-30 seconds of telling me that I screwed up and unskippable; that is going to bother me a bit more than just on it's own. because I'm bad at video games and will die over and over at certain places.

I'm fine with a game striving to make me uncomfortable, I just hope this game will let me skip it now and then when I start being terrible for a while.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    The Dead Space series has plenty of death scenes that are on-par or much worse than that gif.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    The gif is much easier to experience when you realize it's proper context includes audio of Hella Jeff yelling "I warned you about those spikes bro."

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I'm not really a fan of things dying and doing much more than ragdoll & blood pool.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    so does this game involve the raiding of any actual tombs or is it just far cry: lara croft edition

• CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    I can't tell you how many time I beat Tomb Raider 2 on PC.

So many fucking times. I knew every inch if that game by heart.

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
    so does this game involve the raiding of any actual tombs or is it just far cry: lara croft edition

Probably the latter, hopefully both

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Just had a long, unskippable death in Dead Space 2.
    in the elevator to the solar panels, that monster with the glowing weak spot and immunity to the vacuum of space.

If I have to say "yeah I get it, I fucked up" during a death sequence, and I have the time to say it at least three times, there's something wrong here.

jnij103vqi2i.png