As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MLB] A Cespedes for the rest of us.

JasconiusJasconius sword criminalmad onlineRegistered User regular
edited July 2013 in Social Entropy++
Jasconius on

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    With my first pick I draft Mordecai "Three Fingers" Brown.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I am not against the draft starting early (read: when everyone finishes their keepers)

however I will probably not be picking until March and there will be no pick timer enforced until March

Nobody can truly finish their keepers until we do ADP anyway... unless all your FA's are super low rounds and you don't care what they cost

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    @Jasconius

Keepers (as of right now)

Miguel Cabrera – 1st
    R.A. Dickey – 20th
    Johnny Cueto – 7th
    Austin Jackson – 13th
    Fernando Rodney - ?
    Aaron Hill – 18th
    Yu Darvish – 6th
    Zack Greinke – 5th
    Jose Reyes – 3rd

I might keep Wilin Rosario depending on his ADP.

edited February 2013
    Cueto is going to cost you a 4th rounder, FYI

Rodney could easily cost an 8th if people get hysterical

we'll definitely have to wait for ADP to finalize yours, congrats on being the first and possibly only person to actually put the value system to the test

also 3rd rounder for jose reyes? you are on crack

Jasconius on
    It's tentative!

I'm thinking Reyes could be a run producing machine up in Toronto

• HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    My keepers:

David Freese: round 15
    Josh Willingham: round 17
    Starlin Castro: round 5
    Aroldis Chapman: round 20
    Felix Hernandez: round 2
    Josh Reddick: free agent

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    My keepers as of right now:

Prince Fielder (1st)
    Ben Zobrist (3rd)
    Carlos Beltran (9th)
    Kyle Lohse (12th)

Sweeney Tom on
    what? you're not keeping beckett?????

Also, I drafted Reyes third last year and that worked out fine on a terrible Miami team. I don't think it's a stretch to keep him for a third on a much better Toronto team.

• SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    I have three players that I need to wait for ADP on. Is there any chance we can get that moved up? There's no way I'm going to finalize my keeper selections before I'm certain about the cost for those players.

Gotta come up with some trade ideas too...come on, guys, make some trades!

I haven't looked at the ADP values myself yet but by this point I suspect very few drafts have actually been done

Nobody is asking you to finalize your keepers for another three weeks

I'll take a look at them and once i am satisfied the numbers are actually based on something real we'll stamp the values

Reyes is a fine player but for someone who is a guaranteed bust in two columns and is historically an injury magnet... 3rd round? ehhhh. For Round 3 and up I'm looking for MVP levels of value

but then again I'm spoiled with Votto and Posey

I haven't yet decided on Cargo. I have the pick but I want to see what Baseball Prospectus has to say first

I think you're underestimating the number of drafts that are being done right now. I can't find any info on the number of Yahoo mock, but on Mockdraftcentral has rolling ADP reports for the last few days and between 2/8 and today they've had 123 qualifying drafts. (You need to be logged in to see that page) I assume there have to be at least as many being done on Yahoo since Yahoo is much more well known.

I'd just prefer the values be set at least a week before the keepers are due.

Clarification: Free Agent players kept using ADP do not have the value adjustment applied to them, correct? For example, a free agent player with an ADP in the 15th round would not cost a 13th round pick.

Correct

However in future years if that player is kept without hitting the waiver wire again, he will be subject to normal value rules

meaning next year he'll be worth a 13th

I'll add it to the OP

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Jasc, for dudes not listed on Yahoo!'s ADP, are we just going to count backwards from our last pick? IE first dude we keep not drafted would be our last pick

if they're not listed on ADP then they're probably not that great which means I don't give a crap

we can just pick an arbitrary "replacement level" round or something

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

He can't.

BECAUSE I HAVE HIM MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I like my idea better :D

Nirya wrote: »

He can't.

why would you admit to that

edited February 2013
    i'm noticing that once you get far enough down in ADP you start to get peculiarities where only a handful of people may have drafted someone, so his "ADP" is 18, but only 4% of people are actually picking him at all

There's a pretty clear threshold where this trend stops cold and from there everyone is drafted routinely

That's probably a good place to draw the line on a non-ADP player, more or less.

The current line seems to be roughly Round 15... and I was thinking of making them Round 18 which seems fair.

I'll check back once ADP has had some time to mature.

*edit*

somehow adam dunn with a bazillion homers has an ADP of 15

this is why we run advanced columns, people

Jasconius on
    Cueto for a third... Gotta really think about that. If I keep that list up there my starting pitchers are pretty set. Not sure on Hill or Jackson though. Both guys are a steal if they perform like last season but I don't know if I can count on that from Hill.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Hello sexy new thread. Now I know how I'll waste my day at work tomorrow.

Wait, why would Cueto cost Raijin a 4th? He drafted him in the 8th so he'd cost him a 7th, and he didn't say he's planning on taking another 7th. Is there something I'm missing?

edited February 2013
    Raijin posted "7th"

I based it on that, assuming that was the original round

Jasconius on
    Oh, ok. He adjusted all the values in his post, so that's what they would cost him.

Just trying to keep things clear!

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Nirya wrote: »

He can't.

why would you admit to that

No joke, Beckett kinda became my most consistent pitcher near the end of the year.

My pitching last year was an injury-filled train wreck.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Braves got rid of their laughing Indian BP cap.

Also, RA is happy that it's finally reporting time and the draft is near

QYn3nct.jpg

RA forever has a place in my heart...and on my team.

4 years and $48,000,000 for Michael Bourn to go to Cleveland.

So if I'm understanding the keeper rules on waiver pick ups correctly it means we're simply this using this years ADP rounded up or down from .5?

So Chase Headley would cost me a 6th rounder...(I think his ADP last time I checked was 6.4).

Never should have dropped Chase Headley...

I'm not 100% on keeping him. Probably will, but I have a logjam of players in that 5 to 8 range that I need to make some decisions on.

Cespedes for an 18th round pick is nice though.

Maximum wrote: »
    So if I'm understanding the keeper rules on waiver pick ups correctly it means we're simply this using this years ADP rounded up or down from .5?

So Chase Headley would cost me a 6th rounder...(I think his ADP last time I checked was 6.4).

This would be correct, yes. If at the time we finalize ADP values he is still at 6.4 or below he will cost a 6th round pick.

Are the standard Yahoo ADP settings based off a 12 or 10 team league?

I believe it bases the average round off of the settings of the league? Not sure.

• AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    paul goldshmidt is on the trading block.

Oh hey good idea.

I added a trading block tab to the spreadsheet. I or someone else can spruce it up a bit later, but right now I gotta eat!

Angry wrote: »

You're such a tease.

Wait...He's being drafted in the 5th round? That seems crazy to me.

• AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    Maximum wrote: »
    Angry wrote: »

You're such a tease.

Wait...He's being drafted in the 5th round? That seems crazy to me.

he tore it up in the second half last year and it's not like he's coming out of nowhere. encarnacion being 1b only this year hurts. i might end up keeping him and play him utility if i can't get a deal for him.

people keeping 4-6 people is crazy to me. i have 11 players i legitimately want to keep.

This discussion has been closed.