As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

musique d’ameublement [Furnishings! Interior and Exterior Design!]

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Oh dang those are cool!

I really can't wait to own my own place at some point in the future and do some cool things with it.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    so, i'm a sap and put this thread in my sig, but in the course of replacing the privatized video in the OP, i found this totally awesome thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wA_nLJD-UE

and this!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSMYj60ZgT8

aaaaand
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luwc_ejaLjw

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If anyone had told me that high school chinese would come in most useful when watching a man manipulate a chair ... I probably would have stuck with it longer, actually.

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    zih4QuI.jpg

edited February 2013
  • SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    I want so many secret passages/rooms/cubby holes/storage containers in my house. I don't want to know how much even one of those doors might cost though it will just make me sad.

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Oh my god this is so awesome and I want something similar even though I'm cutting down on my physical books

XUss1Qq.jpg

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    That's amazing! Sooo pretty! But console yourself with the knowledge that it's not really very practical, I guess?

...cutting down on physical books just reminds me of all the books I don't have because they got lost in the move and now I'm sad again. :(

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • monsterrormonsterror HEY ASSBUTT Registered User regular
    I just posted this in the Beauty thread, not realizing there is now this thread.

Last night, I picked up a couple of prints while I was waiting for Bryan Lee O'Malley to sign my things.

GmvAiAi.jpg

xRHTEcE.jpg

so, i now have easy access to an Ikea. deadly.

replaced the beau's broken desk today, with pine top, legs, and a white cabinet. i've been able to break out the power tools to demolish the old desk and put together the new one, so i'm a happy little tool-using monkey.

i am lusting after this lacquerlike beauty, as i have for nearly a year. the red has been vetoed, but i may just hold out, since it is clearly the best. the glossy grey and white are pretty great, but cannot compare to the glory of that RED.

hopefully we'll get the desktops ready tomorrow, and i can post pictures to give a better idea of what i'm working with, but my question is thus: which color would you choose?
    it would be a definite accent piece, in placement (as a room divider), scale (58x58" {or 73x73", but no red that size}, it's a big chunk of real estate), and color -- right now, we have a grey suedelike mini ottoman (saying i have a grey stool... well), a large brown leather ottoman, linen-colored side chair, a turquoise & wood chair, a pale rusty pink upholstered chair, and light and dark colored woods for tables and bookcases. want to make a media area with the TV (blond TV stand) and whichever chair complements the couch we'll also likely get, and in the other part of the living room, a dining/lounging/craft/library nook. hmm, i wonder if i could pull off a light/dark setup in either section...

color opinions:
    part of me thinks the red is risky, difficult to tone down or coordinate, or just too garish at that size; my gut says it's that pop of interest that could make everything else more dynamic by proximity. the grey is lovely, but probably too modern for what we have, and possibly too muddy/dark to really elevate everything around it. on the other hand, it has that utilitarian appeal, and a bit of metallic sheen or impression thereof; sophisticated grunge, kind of? locker room chic? the white is so stark and plain, it seems it'd be too overwhelming -- too much a display piece contrasted with our relatively simple stuff, along with not really differentiating the spaces in this light-walled room; but it is clean, and classic. i really don't care for the faux woods, though the birch effect looks fake enough to not bug me so much.

i also made my first trip to the Container Store hoo boy

lfchwLd.jpg
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Oh hey, we just bought that Expedit in the dark brown! I love the red but the glossy finish, while very attractive, shows fingerprints and other crud like whoa (the floor model was super gross)

If you're serious about looking at it as an accent piece, I would suggest getting one of the more neutral-ish color and then a bunch of brightly colored bins (I have a ton of lime green ones for that very purpose)

oddly, the Texan contingent hasn't made any noticeable marks on the floor models, or maybe i'm blinded by desire. i'll doublecheck the effect when we're in-store again, but i'm finding it difficult to work up a practical repugnance for dust or fingerprints showing. i really ought, since we'll mainly be using it for daily-access storage. i'm also considering short legs for it. high-five on Expedit love!

lfchwLd.jpg
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    It's entirely possible the Portland store is just lazy about cleaning things, but at least it was true-ish to practical usage

• Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    I ran across these and had to share. I think the fact that handpainted furniture like this exists is fantastic.

Altdeutsche furniture, Moooi
    C9JOXW9.jpg?1

Detail of chest front:
    lRlG9xK.jpg?1

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
    some of the art i've thrifted this week:
    man, i need a better cam.

actually a lovely powdery blue mat.
    dsc02294w.jpg

with a matching Sweet Pea fairy. i've always loved the Flower Fairy illustrations, and old botanical prints in general.
    dsc02295s.jpg

trying to figure how to frame this one, but i've got a few ideas. i really admire flower radiography, and daffodils are my favorite flower, so i really scored on this one.
    dsc02297yuq.jpg

annnd a nice dark green mat that contrasts sweetly with the gold. old flower catalog illustrations are also right up my alley. i have to be selective or i'd be inundated. hmm, now a gallery display with tons of botanical illustrations sounds appealing, whoops!
    dsc02298d.jpg

and a result of gallery display searchin', i've found this blog, which is fun -- liking her style.

lfchwLd.jpg
    So ok my dad, being possessed of good luck sometimes, found us a new table and chairs set for free! freeeeeeeee! to replace what we were using, which was a lightweight aluminum outdoor table. Anyway this new table is solid pine and it has a really dark finish and two leaves which means when it's all expanded it is way too large for our dining area space but will still come in handy. ANYWAY I'd like to refinish it I think, and as my dad points out, unless I want to paint it it's going to be a nightmare to strip it enough to refinish it. So here's the table and chairs:

Sy9jg02.jpg

So I wanted to do a chalkboard paint on the top and white legs. Originally I wanted to do an orange chalkboard paint top but my boyfriend thinks it should be architectural plan blue so that when we use white chalk on it it'll look super cool, and I think he's right. But what the fuck am I gonna do with those chairs? Should I paint them solid white? I was sort of thinking I'd paint the very top with the chalkboard paint but I'm not sure how that would turn out. Also don't be fooled by the heavily cropped and semi-dark photo, there are a lot of scratches and relatively deep digs in the finish, it's not like I'd be stripping down a really nice finished piece to repaint over it.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2013
    It's gorgeous!

I have no idea about the chairs. White would be the safest I guess, get the French farmhouse feel.

tynic on
  • ReciprocityReciprocity Registered User regular
    What about doing the chairs in the reverse, painting them white but doing the base of the legs in the blue? Too much?

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    if my girlfriend saw you wanting to paint gorgeous stained wood like that she would come at you

(she's a cabinet maker and woodophile)

#pipe wrote: »
    if my girlfriend saw you wanting to paint gorgeous stained wood like that she would come at you

If it wouldn't be a huge pain in the ass to strip it down evenly I'd rather have a nice strained piece. My dad is a cabinet maker and he used to do a lot of custom trim in houses so generally when he tells me it's more trouble than it's worth to refinish something I just go with it and plan accordingly... Obviously if it was a real nice hardwood I'd plan on putting in the work but it's just pine and thank God for that or we'd never have got it up the stairs today

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    White for the chairs and table legs would work, especially if you intend to doodle on the tabletop in chalk.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    That's a nice table. I'd suggest that you don't go with a chalkboard paint for the surface. I've found that it stains a lot more than a flat paint and it's impossible to clean.

Just paint the table top white, leave the rest nice and dark.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »

Yeah she is.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    So I put in a rental application today and got approved in less than half an hour, so I'm signing the lease tomorrow. So I'll have a house to decorate! And I can get my furniture out of storage. Super excited, y'all.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Woo decorating

I went to Ikea yesterday and got a shelf unit for the kitchen to replace the microwave cart

More storage space, hooray

We're planning an Ikea trip on friday

We need a couple of new saucepans since ours are a million years old and were shit back then.

Also we're thinking about getting a little tabletop enclosed glass greenhouse so we can grow herbs and catnip without the cats eating it all.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Once i'm back home for the summer I'm gonna hit up an IKEA and get a new desk and bookshelf

cause god damn it I really want one

• number13number13 Registered User regular
    Every time the ladyfriend and I head out to the shopping outlets around here, I always stop inside Restoration Hardware and want to buy everything in there. Too bad most things in there are like the cost of my first born child.

2w3e5cp.jpg
    I have a glittery ceiling:

fc350c00ac4f11e2938522000aaa21ef_7.jpg

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    Is that from your new place?

2w3e5cp.jpg
    so this is what i decided to get as my souvenir. not that i stopped there, but until my aunt came in and started shopping i fully intended to.
    dsc02341mo.jpg
    aw yiss floor of 'recyling store' deeeeeeeeal
    (7,50 Euro)

lfchwLd.jpg
    Bring that here

number13 wrote: »

Yup. The living and dining rooms have glitter on the ceiling, for reasons unknown to me.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Interior design thread!?!? Oh maaaaaaan this will be the best.

I'm moving at some point (??) in the next month or so, [rental market willing].

I've been saving up for furniture itemry, but I also reaaaaaally want artstuff! I hadn't considered thrift stores, that's a great idea. Also, for frames, if nothing else.

MadEddy wrote: »
    number13 wrote: »

Yup. The living and dining rooms have glitter on the ceiling, for reasons unknown to me.

Glitter parties, dude.

Anyway, congrats on the new place!

2w3e5cp.jpg
    We're moving, and we pretty much decided to replace most of our stuff! Fun and expensive!

15ybuoh.jpg
    We found the couch at a Raymour & Flanigan outlet on the cheap. It looks a lot like leather, but it's microfiber. You can definitely tell it's not real leather, especially if you're familiar with real leather, but for the price and look it was hard to pass up.

14j6xaa.jpg
    I love reclaimed wood. We found the table in a Restoration Hardware outlet. It's nice, because a lot of the minor imperfections like scratches or dings look really natural because of the wood/patina on the iron work.

r91r91.jpg
    This was the most expensive, but I think the most interesting. I think it'll be a cool conversation piece. It's actually a really big coat rack? But we're thinking of using it as a large media console/TV stand. Our TV will fit perfectly within the metal framework, so we're thinking about mounting it on the wall.

We still have a lot to replace, but I think we made a lot of leeway! We also bought dining room table, and again, reclaimed wood, but we forgot to take a picture of it. Maybe when it gets delivered!

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    that coat rack thing is fucking rad