As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Math [chat]

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    But srsly, anyone got good tips for studying?

I honestly don't know how to study and I have no idea why I got this far. :?

What are you studying?

Team management.

Big book, lots of stuff that I should know but can't really cite...

I do it in one-hour increments. Put your computer away (or get away from it), and say, "I will read/study this book for one hour." If you have lots of notes already, read those over and over for that hour, pausing to repeat the information in your head when you're not looking at it. Take a break, then do another hour.

But my notes are on my computer. D:
    BobCesca wrote: »

Are you male? Then don't worry, this is a common problem. While the night before an exam is not the ideal time to try and work out your learning style(s), there are a couple of things that will help.

Basically, at this late stage your best bet is to make a poster of some kind. This means that you can incorporate a variety of learning styles such as summarising and writing the information, colours and different ways of presenting the info (can you depict some stuff using pictures and/or diagrams?) and then by looking over what you have made you can also utilise visual learning.

K, i'll try that. Thanks. :)

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    also i want to say that when the SNES was released it was very close in price to the NES. within $25 or so?

adjusted for inflation, the xbox and 360 were the same price as the NES at launch too

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    I would assume that they don't show south american because it's such a mishmash between Spanish and indigenous groups. So some areas people just look Spanish, and in other places they look totally different

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    A bit slow since I actually have work today but
    A) Composite Faces are hot.
    B) We had the light gun, 2 controllers, and mario/duckhunt combo. And we wound up having like 20+ games for me which is way more than I owned on any other consoles (Besides PC) We have this big blue/yellow/red carrying case you could put everything in as well.
    And a large wood/metal storage cube that was Mario/Zelda themed.

Bless your heart.
  • wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Composite faces:

oxUcg7n.jpgesxBT5T.jpg

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    See the thing about crack is

Drinking PBR became so cliche

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    i think the high end bundle NES was like $250. we got that one (suck it!) it came with ROB, a light gun, gyromite, mario, duck hunt, and 2 controllers

they also had the one that just had mario and that was like $200. it made economic sense to just buy the big bundle!

This was my second videogame console; my first was the Atari 400.

Shit was baller.

Atari-400-Comp.png

a kid down the street had one of those

we had a pong table top cabinet that died and my dad threw it out. (that's why we got the NES for christmas.)

if only he had kept it!!!

919UOwT.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Those composite faces are airbrushed

• The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    Just got my Portland Timbers season tickets from the Fed Ex guy -- wootwoot! I feel so important.

Definitely more important than the rest of you pleebs...

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I used to get sat in this computer lab at my shitty ghetto highschool. I started bringing floppies with like Zork or commander keen on them and opening them up with the dos prompt.

Yeah I got in trouble for "hacking"

Someone told on me.

"OOOH HE HACKIN DAT COMPUTAH MISS TEACHA OOH DAT CRAZY WHITE BOY IS TRYINTA HACK."

ITT, Ludious tells the story of how the word "hacking" got subverted form meaning "coding something complex", to "TECHA HE'S DOIN SOMETHIN' BAD WITH THAT THUR COMPUTA".

I think of hacking more as a "does it involve computers and rollerblades?"

• SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    I always last minute studied by condensing everything I needed to know onto a 1 page cheatsheet

you don't actually have to cheat by bringing it in with you

but it's small enough to memorize and recreate on a piece of scrap paper once the exam starts

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    I'm giving up talking about giving up ironically giving up talking about giving up ironically talking about ironically giving up Lent for Lent for Lent for Lent.

You should see Side Effects and tell me what you think.

MAYBE I WILL!

Does watching it cause pregnancy?

Oh mos def

pregnancy
    OF THE MIND

Have you been around all this time or did my message on
    XBLA awaken thee?

I've been making more time for this forum recently (which means I'm in and out lol). I was happy to get that message, though!

Seriously, if you get a multi game you want to play we should get some games in. My 'reliably fun people to play online games with' list has fallen precipitously off a cliff recently :-(

Been trying to get my one buddy to update his Orange Box copy to Halo 4 so we can get some games in, especially since he just moved out to the Styx to take this 'better job,' and I'm like part of moving to the Styx and getting a better job means you get to make more time for Halo 4, right? RIGHT?!! But nah, it's still TF2 or bust with that guy...

Cool. I just bought ODST so I have a ways to go before Halo 4. Is it better than Halo 3? I disliked Halo 3.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    controller in the pants, both hands down there

mario on the screen is not moving at all

This gives the konami code a whole new meaning.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    It really helped me, personally, to write notes out by hand. This can still work if you've got them on the computer, since you can just copy them down and reabsorb information that way.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    Damn, just noticed that Esh finally ate it in a H/A thread.

Didn't think that would actually ever happen. Dude was a master of pulling a Johnny Cash

oh you've got to link to this.

• Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular

What are you studying?

Team management.

Big book, lots of stuff that I should know but can't really cite...

I do it in one-hour increments. Put your computer away (or get away from it), and say, "I will read/study this book for one hour." If you have lots of notes already, read those over and over for that hour, pausing to repeat the information in your head when you're not looking at it. Take a break, then do another hour.

But my notes are on my computer. D:

Are you male? Then don't worry, this is a common problem. While the night before an exam is not the ideal time to try and work out your learning style(s), there are a couple of things that will help.

Basically, at this late stage your best bet is to make a poster of some kind. This means that you can incorporate a variety of learning styles such as summarising and writing the information, colours and different ways of presenting the info (can you depict some stuff using pictures and/or diagrams?) and then by looking over what you have made you can also utilise visual learning.

K, i'll try that. Thanks. :)

Then get all your notes out, close down every internet tab and RESIST the urge to click it back open again. My problem with this is it's so automatic and I won't realize I've done it until I'm browsing D&D.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
    ODST is the best Halo game.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I'm giving up talking about giving up ironically giving up talking about giving up ironically talking about ironically giving up Lent for Lent for Lent for Lent.

You should see Side Effects and tell me what you think.

MAYBE I WILL!

Does watching it cause pregnancy?

Oh mos def

pregnancy
    OF THE MIND

Have you been around all this time or did my message on
    XBLA awaken thee?

I've been making more time for this forum recently (which means I'm in and out lol). I was happy to get that message, though!

Seriously, if you get a multi game you want to play we should get some games in. My 'reliably fun people to play online games with' list has fallen precipitously off a cliff recently :-(

Been trying to get my one buddy to update his Orange Box copy to Halo 4 so we can get some games in, especially since he just moved out to the Styx to take this 'better job,' and I'm like part of moving to the Styx and getting a better job means you get to make more time for Halo 4, right? RIGHT?!! But nah, it's still TF2 or bust with that guy...

Cool. I just bought ODST so I have a ways to go before Halo 4. Is it better than Halo 3? I disliked Halo 3.

If you disliked Halo 3, you just dislike Halo, because Halo 3 is pretty much the pinnacle of Halo.

ODST is nothing like Halo. It's another kind of shooter in the Halo universe, so you may like that.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Cesca are you saying men suck.

Is that what you are telling us.

Kind of?

There's actually a bunch of research about the different way people learn and the ways they learn to revise, and basically a lot of guys coast through school and have to suddenly learn how to study when they get to Uni. Can't cite anything atm 'cos it's been years since I looked at this stuff, but it's one of the reasons why in UK GCSEs girls started to look to do significantly better when they introduced coursework - basically, guys were very good at exams where they had to just regurgitate stuff they had been told in class and girls were better at stuff which required significant study and research during a sustained period (obviously this is all extremely general and does not necessarily apply in individual cases).

• The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

They do billboards in Portland.

Do they do billboards in Brooklyn?

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

More specifically, they cleaned up the area around the faces to put their opinion of attractive hair, necklines, etc.

The face itself is probably accurate, but everything around it is emphasizing the beauty.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Didn't think that would actually ever happen. Dude was a master of pulling a Johnny Cash

oh you've got to link to this.

It's actually pretty lackluster. Some underage kid was told that she shouldn't drink and do drugs because they're illegal and she's underage and he basically said that's part of the high school experience and Ceres decided that was poor advice.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    I used to get sat in this computer lab at my shitty ghetto highschool. I started bringing floppies with like Zork or commander keen on them and opening them up with the dos prompt.

Yeah I got in trouble for "hacking"

Someone told on me.

"OOOH HE HACKIN DAT COMPUTAH MISS TEACHA OOH DAT CRAZY WHITE BOY IS TRYINTA HACK."

ITT, Ludious tells the story of how the word "hacking" got subverted form meaning "coding something complex", to "TECHA HE'S DOIN SOMETHIN' BAD WITH THAT THUR COMPUTA".

senior year of high school i had an "independent study" AP comp sci class

where basically i just showed up to the computer lab where the dude was teaching his normal intro to java or whatever and he'd give me a coding assignment

teacher was actually a pretty cool dude who just unfortunately didn't have a whole lot of spare time for me, so the assignments were often game related

i remember i was coding chess in java one day when we had a substitute and she came over while i had the graphical interface up and started yelling at me for playing games during class. after like the third time of trying to explain that, hey im actually doing work here i just got up and walked right out. bah.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    Just got my Portland Timbers season tickets from the Fed Ex guy -- wootwoot! I feel so important.

Definitely more important than the rest of you pleebs...

The question is: Are they in the Timbers Army section? Because last time I went to a Timbers game, I sat there, and it was fucking amazing.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    nboC3XI.jpg
    This what the storage cube we had looked like.
    Some son of a bitch got it for like $5 when we had a yard sale after my parents divorced.

Bless your heart.

Kind of?

There's actually a bunch of research about the different way people learn and the ways they learn to revise, and basically a lot of guys coast through school and have to suddenly learn how to study when they get to Uni. Can't cite anything atm 'cos it's been years since I looked at this stuff, but it's one of the reasons why in UK GCSEs girls started to look to do significantly better when they introduced coursework - basically, guys were very good at exams where they had to just regurgitate stuff they had been told in class and girls were better at stuff which required significant study and research during a sustained period (obviously this is all extremely general and does not necessarily apply in individual cases).

It's true ;(

Was it the bartending one? I love Esh to death, I really do...he's cool as fuck to play games with, but man he posts some abrasive things at times. Even more than me!

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    @desc @Elldren @Thomamelas

everyone good for tonight?

Yep. Closing in on Cal Ripken Jr's record.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    As much as I bitch about the price of video games, I can't imagine what my parents must have dealt with paying the same price for said games back when I was a kid. I mean money was a lot tighter back then and I make as much now as my dad did in a job like 3x what I have today and he still bought me probably 4-5 new games a year.

• SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    From Perd Hapley, the author of The Thing About Me is, I'm Perd Hapley comes The Thing About Crack is, I Smoke Crack, a harrowing depiction of his battles with crack addiction as a Pawnee newscaster.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

More specifically, they cleaned up the area around the faces to put their opinion of attractive hair, necklines, etc.

The face itself is probably accurate, but everything around it is emphasizing the beauty.

I think they cleaned it up to have the most modal representation shine through the static, not just purely for aesthetic reasons

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    I just inherited my parent's record collection and it is fucking amazing.

I own some Conway Twitty, and Surfin' Bird.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular

Was it the bartending one? I love Esh to death, I really do...he's cool as fuck to play games with, but man he posts some abrasive things at times. Even more than me!

Nah it was even sillier.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/173324/kept-a-secret-from-my-bf#latest

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

Kind of?

FUCK THIS SEXIST EARTH

• Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    I don't particularly know how or when my family acquired our NES - there's a photo of me playing it when I'm 3 years old, one hand on the controller, the other down my pants.

No one else liked to used that controller.

This will be banned.

As much as I bitch about the price of video games, I can't imagine what my parents must have dealt with paying the same price for said games back when I was a kid. I mean money was a lot tighter back then and I make as much now as my dad did in a job like 3x what I have today and he still bought me probably 4-5 new games a year.

Often got a lot more game for the money back then, though.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Podly wrote: »

They do billboards in Portland.

Do they do billboards in Brooklyn?

Hipsters are still a minority here, wey

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    edited February 2013
    Deebaser wrote: »

Nah it was even sillier.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/173324/kept-a-secret-from-my-bf#latest

Oh Esh...I should hit him up on Steam and make fun of him for this.

GnomeTank on
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I would assume that they don't show south american because it's such a mishmash between Spanish and indigenous groups. So some areas people just look Spanish, and in other places they look totally different

Right but they are already splitting by ethnicity

You could at least have one or two of the indigenous groups

I was really curious to see my wife's ethnicity and it wasn't on there : (

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
    spool32 wrote: »

Often got a lot more game for the money back then, though.

Yeah, I will say I replayed the fuck out of games back then and now I get one and 12 hours later I'm pretty much done with it. (the exception being Batman AA and AC)

This discussion has been closed.