As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Math [chat]

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Ironic racism to me sounds like when you make a joke about or allude to a stereotype and the joke is funny because of how blatantly stupid and absurd the stereotype is

Like if Chu were to say he's been cutting his spending and saving up for something important and I made some absurd reference to Jewish folk and money, or the international conspiracy backing his efforts

when chu says stuff like that i do lol though

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    How dare obama improve something!
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Surprising no one, the free Obamaphone Reaganphone program has been poorly managed with very little oversight. Looking at that little chart accompanying the article, Virgin Mobile and AT&T drank deeply from the government teat.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323511804578296001368122888.html?mod=WSJ_hppMIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsSecond
    The U.S. government spent about $2.2 billion last year to provide phones to low-income Americans, but a Wall Street Journal review of the program shows that a large number of those who received the phones haven't proved they are eligible to receive them ... A review of five top recipients of Lifeline support conducted by the FCC for the Journal showed that 41% of their more than six million subscribers either couldn't demonstrate their eligibility or didn't respond to requests for certification ... The FCC until last year allowed consumers to self-certify, without requiring documentation, that they met federal poverty guidelines. Subscribers didn't have to recertify once they were enrolled in the program, and there were few checks on whether households signed up for more than one cellphone.

fixed that for you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio

I know about the Obamaphone lady

Doesn't change the fact that it was started by Reagan and the specific expansion the WSJ article is talking about was a Bush policy

Free cell phones in 1986, huh? Well, Reagan and Bush seem like great guys who care about the impoverished, then. Vote Republican.

It was originally for landlines expanded to cells under Bush

which these days is actually cheaper than landlines so whatevs

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Organichu wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    What do you mean, "Ironic Racism?"

I mean jokes where you pretend to be racist but it's not really racist because it's a joke.

With scare quotes because I don't really observe the distinction.

i kind of don't understand this position

I guess it's like death of the author shit. Like, all I know about Seth McFarlane is that he makes Family Guy. So when he (or one of his writers, I guess) writes a homophobic joke or whatever, all that is presented is the homophobic joke. There isn't a disclaimer that the real joke is that anyone would make such a joke (and I'm not advocating such a disclaimer; jokes that need explanation are not good jokes)... as far as anyone can reasonably tell, it is what it is. A statement where the humor capitalizes on bigoted assumptions without challenging them.

that has never been the typical premise of a racist or sexist joke to me (in a situation where we're assuming it isn't meant maliciously). there is deconstructive humor that examines the causes and effects of bigotry in society, sure. and then there are jokes that kind of poke fun at people stupid enough to say them. but in my experience the vast majority of socially insensitive humor is just "shock and unbalance with brutal comments", or "cleverly reference cultural stereotypes" or whatever.

i mean, i laugh at jokes that make fun of dumb yokels and their bigotry, and i laugh at dave chappelle. but i guess i laugh at a lot of other humor too that it seems like you think is inappropriate? not sure if i'm following you.

• saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    Random question for you guys and gals:

Has anyone ever tried one of those "ancestry" websites that track your family tree? If so, did you have a lot of success? It's pretty pricey last time I checked, but that sort of thing has tickled my interest lately.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    fM9aGJq.jpg

that

is

ADORBS

Depends on the age.

If that's actually BeNarwal's card to his parents, it's actually a little bit creepy.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    What do you mean, "Ironic Racism?"

I mean jokes where you pretend to be racist but it's not really racist because it's a joke.

With scare quotes because I don't really observe the distinction.

i kind of don't understand this position

I guess it's like death of the author shit. Like, all I know about Seth McFarlane is that he makes Family Guy. So when he (or one of his writers, I guess) writes a homophobic joke or whatever, all that is presented is the homophobic joke. There isn't a disclaimer that the real joke is that anyone would make such a joke (and I'm not advocating such a disclaimer; jokes that need explanation are not good jokes)... as far as anyone can reasonably tell, it is what it is. A statement where the humor capitalizes on bigoted assumptions without challenging them.

yes, thank you.

I've been trying to articulate that for a while.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    also the answer is: no but by god I wish we did.

or well maybe right now isn't the right time because frostburn isn't particularly sexy

You could have one kid get really hammered, then go 'fake drown' somewhere while the sexy ladies save them. I'm sure nothing would go wrong.

you haven't bathed in the north sea in february much I take it

ftOqU21.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular

Obama could punch a kitten in the face and you would say the black eye makes its fur look more lustrous.

And you could be presented with reality, and then post Obamaphone lady as if it rebuts reality in any meaningful way.

Looks like we're even.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Some animals devour their young
    Some humans their young devour them.

Bless your heart.
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Fate of humanity hanging in the balance

all races putting Shepard under the spotlight

waiting...waiting...

"Hold on dudes gotta romance my crew!"

There is a little too god damn much sidetracking to random planets, stopping to talk to every crew member of your ship, and going back to the Citadel to jog a full lap just in case some pedestrian starts whining about their problems.

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    Surprising no one, the free Obamaphone Reaganphone program has been poorly managed with very little oversight. Looking at that little chart accompanying the article, Virgin Mobile and AT&T drank deeply from the government teat.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323511804578296001368122888.html?mod=WSJ_hppMIDDLENexttoWhatsNewsSecond
    The U.S. government spent about $2.2 billion last year to provide phones to low-income Americans, but a Wall Street Journal review of the program shows that a large number of those who received the phones haven't proved they are eligible to receive them ... A review of five top recipients of Lifeline support conducted by the FCC for the Journal showed that 41% of their more than six million subscribers either couldn't demonstrate their eligibility or didn't respond to requests for certification ... The FCC until last year allowed consumers to self-certify, without requiring documentation, that they met federal poverty guidelines. Subscribers didn't have to recertify once they were enrolled in the program, and there were few checks on whether households signed up for more than one cellphone.

fixed that for you

Doesn't change the fact that it was started by Reagan and the specific expansion the WSJ article is talking about was a Bush policy

Free cell phones in 1986, huh? Well, Reagan and Bush seem like great guys who care about the impoverished, then. Vote Republican.

Yeah, Reaganphones sure make up for the whole "starve the beast, destroy all welfare" thing.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Do college kids in other countries have Baywatch theme parties and/or dress up like Pam Anderson to be sexy?

how do you differentiate between that theme and "wear a bikini" themes

Hep C

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    saint2e wrote: »

Has anyone ever tried one of those "ancestry" websites that track your family tree? If so, did you have a lot of success? It's pretty pricey last time I checked, but that sort of thing has tickled my interest lately.

Recent convert to Mormonism?

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

waiting...waiting...

There is a little too god damn much sidetracking to random planets, stopping to talk to every crew member of your ship, and going back to the Citadel to jog a full lap just in case some pedestrian starts whining about their problems.

oh I skip all the irrelevant shit, unless it's going to get me laid

• wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    but feral, do u no why kids love cinnamon toast crunch
    I don't get it, it doesn't taste like apples

wandering on
  • Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »

That is some of the most moronic shit I have heard in a long time.

How do you even approach those ideas and try to grapple with them seriously? There's so much bigotry to unpack...

I guess I would just end up accusing the person who said it of internalizing the language of white racism, and suggest they break free of the rhetorical chains in which they're bound. Additional slavery metaphor, blatant accusation that the opinion is an example of patriarchy instead of a protest against it, etc.

Good grief.

wait i can't tell which side you're on

i'm confused

There are more than two sides here

what, like a triangle?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Ironic racism to me sounds like when you make a joke about or allude to a stereotype and the joke is funny because of how blatantly stupid and absurd the stereotype is

Like if Chu were to say he's been cutting his spending and saving up for something important and I made some absurd reference to Jewish folk and money, or the international conspiracy backing his efforts

Yes.

By it's very nature it underlines that fact that line isn't one believed in good faith, because it wouldn't be a joke. Sit there whilst I tell true facts isn't a form of humour by anyone's interpretation.

It relies on either having the teller/idea be the but of the joke, or through being transgressive in a shocking fashion.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

Not personally, but my mother used ancestry.com pretty extensively to track down our extended family tree, information which we needed to prove our native / Metis status. Definitely helped her in her search a lot, if only by putting her in contact with extended family she was previously unaware of.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    having somehow missed all opportunities for sexy time in the first game, and then hilariously getting friend zoned by Jacob in the second, I am having ALL THE SEX this time

• LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013

Obama could punch a kitten in the face and you would say the black eye makes its fur look more lustrous.

A commercial could feature a person who happens to be a man unable to craft his own sandwich be saved by his wife who is the perfect sandwich maker and then you would come to the conclusion that the problem is that men are being pussified in popular media and be literally unaware of the problem of the woman being portrayed as sandwich maker so I really don't think you need to be casting stones about fellating President Obama's policies.

Ludious on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    my god what a racket

burn cable companies to the ground

i now side with the proletariat

to arms brothers

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular

The program has been running with this particular oversight since 1986

The Obama admin (i won't say Obama because he has absolutely fucking nothing to do with this individual program) is taking measures to make the program more efficient

People have already detailed the specifics of the program and you aren't responding in good faith, you're either being willfully ignorant or trolling

• The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular

waiting...waiting...

IT'S CUZ SHEPHERD IS JESUS GOD DO I NEED TO EXPLAIN EVERYTHING TO YOU

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

fixed that for you

you trollin, bro?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Gender swapping episodes are terrible. They are so gender essentialist.

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    ITT: Straight people think children are cute. Children actually creepy, inappropriate, vaguely threatening.

oh shit

i guess im gay

• Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular

My dad did that. It looked like it worked fairly well. He got a pretty full set of ancestors for 150-200 years, then it got spotty. In a few cases, he can trace the line back to the 15th century. No idea what was involved with that, all I saw was the printout of the family tree.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i have come to the conclusion there are 2 emnmens

the first is the nice calm soothing guy i have talked to in da past on vent

and the second is the poster in this thread

obF2Wuw.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Thius is more like Bush punched the kitten and you blame Obama for getting an ice pack

• SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    having somehow missed all opportunities for sexy time in the first game, and then hilariously getting friend zoned by Jacob in the second, I am having ALL THE SEX this time
    the only way to live

waiting...waiting...

oh I skip all the irrelevant shit, unless it's going to get me laid

I haven't yet fully wrapped my head around "War assets don't matter" so I am still trying to do everything.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    y2jake215 wrote: »

That is legitimately ominous to me.

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    emnemnemnemne trolling?

well I never

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

It was originally for landlines expanded to cells under Bush

which these days is actually cheaper than landlines so whatevs

Interesting.

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/10/the-obama-phone/
    The president has no direct impact on the program, and one could hardly call these devices "Obama Phones," as the e-mail author does. This specific program, SafeLink, started under President George Bush, with grants from an independent company created under President Bill Clinton, which was a legacy of an act passed under President Franklin Roosevelt, which was influenced by an agreement reached between telecommunications companies and the administration of President Woodrow Wilson.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

I remember this. It was hilarious.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular

waiting...waiting...

which is why, if I had made Mass Effect 2, you would only have had time to acquire 4 party members (with all dossiers unlocked from the get-go), all 6 (4+M/J) loyalty quests, and maybe a handful of side things / integrated dlc before Bad Things started happening.

Thius is more like Bush punched the kitten and you blame Obama for getting an ice pack

Listen.

That kitten got punched 5 years ago, Obama has been president for four years.

That kittens brain damage is Obama's fault.

/every republican

• SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    Woodrow Wilson!

we meet again, my old arch-nemesis

Tamin wrote: »

waiting...waiting...

which is why, if I had made Mass Effect 2, you would only have had time to acquire 4 party members (with all dossiers unlocked from the get-go), all 6 (4+M/J) loyalty quests, and maybe a handful of side things / integrated dlc before Bad Things started happening.

You and EM should get together and form a game company making games that everyone hates.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

My mom's into it, and she uses ancestry.com with success.

This discussion has been closed.