As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pied [chat]

GLORY be to God for dappled things—	
  For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;	
    For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;	
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches’ wings;	
  Landscape plotted and pieced—fold, fallow, and plough;	        
    And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim.	

All things counter, original, spare, strange;	
  Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)	
    With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;	
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:	        
                  Praise him.

gerard-manley-hopkins.jpg

Gerard Manley Hopkins is a badass.

HIS MIDDLE NAME IS LITERALLY MANLY.

I'D SAY DISCUSS BUT THE MATTER IS CLOSED.

• CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    Hows your wang Jeep?

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    SPRUNG RHYTHM BITCHES

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    God, the BSG ending was magnificent simply cause of the reaction on these forums.

haha man don't even

that ending was so much worse than ME3

at least someone involved in some way in writing ME3 had an idea about how to end it, even if it was shitty

BSG's ending was so bad that I was laughing out loud

it was hysterical

Wait, the BSG ending was worse than the ME3 ending? Srsly? The BSG ending was bad but it didn't invalidate the entire series and didn't make me want to sacrifice a lamb to the Devil. People were bitching that much about an ending that isn't as bad as BSG?

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    America you have an awesome President.

But the Republicans will steal his water bottles so fast, he'll never get another drink again.

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    on chris claremont:

nsfw: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/27783795/images/pu_Marada_37.jpg

the dialogue has a strong "claremont censored a bit off some rather personal fiction and then sent it to bolton to draw" whiff

aRkpc.gif
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    God, the BSG ending was magnificent simply cause of the reaction on these forums.

haha man don't even

at least someone involved in some way in writing ME3 had an idea about how to end it, even if it was shitty

it was hysterical

Wait, the BSG ending was worse than the ME3 ending? Srsly? The BSG ending was bad but it didn't invalidate the entire series and didn't make me want to sacrifice a lamb to the Devil. People were bitching that much about an ending that isn't as bad as BSG?

Yeah it was. While the ME ending had it's issues, it was an ending. BSG was like "Oh, uhh, and they found a planet and lived there, haha, bye".

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »

haha man don't even

it was hysterical

Yeah it was. While the ME ending had it's issues, it was an ending. BSG was like "Oh, uhh, and they found a planet and lived there, haha, bye".

Well the BSG ending didn't make me mad at all so I guess I was right when I figured that if I played ME3 I wouldn't think it was a big deal.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I have comics to catch up on, but I don't want to. Someone give me a comic with a good backlog to jump in and start reading. Just one.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

haha man don't even

it was hysterical

Also they gave up their technology and history book insuring that the entire chain of events repeats itself.

• TaminTamin Registered User regular

haha man don't even

it was hysterical

Yeah it was. While the ME ending had it's issues, it was an ending. BSG was like "Oh, uhh, and they found a planet thanks to all along the watchtower providing starbuck spatial coordinates and lived there, haha, bye".

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Hah hah hah hah hah

While the chat thread was down I popped into the cookie thread. I was like "hey, cookies, a thread about cookies!"

Post number two is AR bitching about oatmeal raisin cookies.

Post like 5 or 6 or something is this incredible haughty AR post that starts with "It's amazing how many people think they can make good baked goods but are actually terrible, oh, but I am so spoiled my wife is a pastry chef."

How do you torch a thread on page one?

Well, you be that guy.

Regina Fong on
    The BSG ending infuriated me. They spent four seasons hyping this all up, and then it was like someone stuck a pin in the balloon. The whole thing was so phoned in. I wanted to break my TV.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Re: ME3 endings and why I don't buy indoctrination
    Once you start questioning the reality of events, there is no reason to stop. If you buy the existence of the entity, there is little reason not to buy its characterization, which in turn suggests that it has no reason to lie to you. It doesn't have a skin in the game aside from ideology, and I think the fact that it is willing to let you make a choice is reasonably convincing.

More concretely, the blue and green endings just don't make sense if indoctrination is true, as I mentioned before.

It's a nice idea but it isn't borne out by the actual mechanics of the ending.

How the fuck can anyone hate oatmeal raisin cookies.

So moist

So delicious.

• PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    America you have an awesome Vice-President who gets me so hard

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
    Elki wrote: »
    I have comics to catch up on, but I don't want to. Someone give me a comic with a good backlog to jump in and start reading. Just one.

Uncanny x-force

Journey into mystery

Locke&Key

The BSG ending infuriated me. They spent four seasons hyping this all up, and then it was like someone stuck a pin in the balloon. The whole thing was so phoned in. I wanted to break my TV.

The series went on so long I pretty much forgot all of the plot and didn't care what got resolved. Endings are so easy to fuck up that I don't really care about them anymore.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

The basic issue is it highlighted that Ron D. Moore just can't stop writing whatever the fuck he wants, and won't rein it in. They were dropping "this might be a plot line later" stuff in like the second last episode, when it couldn't possibly be because there weren't any more hours of TV left to tell the story in.

How the fuck can anyone hate oatmeal raisin cookies.

So moist

So delicious.

Never my first choice.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular

It absolutely did

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    Free web comics.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    All that said, I can still go back and marathon watch BSG, because I am one of those people who won't let a shitty ending ruin an otherwise sublime experience.

edited February 2013

haha man don't even

it was hysterical

the BSG ending is the worst ending to anything i've ever seen or experienced in my life, and i had a really bad experience losing my virginity, so

that's pretty bad

Evil Multifarious on
    Free web comics.

Read Oglaf? (NSFW)

Free web comics.

Read Oglaf? (NSFW)

Just read it today.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Podly wrote: »
    America you have an awesome Vice-President who gets me so hard

I just assumed that was common knowledge.

Free web comics.

Read Oglaf? (NSFW)

only occasionally, and honestly some of the best are perfectly SFW

edited February 2013

haha man don't even

it was hysterical

Here's my take on it.
    BSG set us up for the idea that the future of humanity was human-cyclon hybrids from very, very early on.

ME drops that shit on you at the very very very end*, and has a character that they pulled directly out of their assholes drop it on you.

Oh, and it disintegrates Shepard, because, you know, no happy endings.

*Except it's not just sentient life it is all life organic and synthetic both, with like, tomatos with circuitry and your lamp has a big old scrotum instead of a lampshade.

So it lacks even a thin veneer or not being complete and utter shit that BSG had.

And that's the good ending. The other three are arguably worse.

Regina Fong on
    PantsB wrote: »

It absolutely did

Nah, the whole series is still fun and interesting to watch. If the ending is bad I disregard it and behave as if I just stopped one episode short of the end. It doesn't make a difference to me.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

The basic issue is it highlighted that Ron D. Moore just can't stop writing whatever the fuck he wants, and won't rein it in. They were dropping "this might be a plot line later" stuff in like the second last episode, when it couldn't possibly be because there weren't any more hours of TV left to tell the story in.

Based on BSG and DS9, I don't think Ron D Moore knows how to write an ending.

Like both of them have perfectly satisfying ends to the military plot line and then an asspull about the spiritual sides.

Lh96QHG.png
    I can't read that spoiler, Jeep. I haven't played ME3 yet! I should just play it. I bought it when it came out!

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    99 problems but tungsten ain't one in Dead Space 3 because of my scavenger bots.

Soon to be a hit song.

haha man don't even

it was hysterical

the BSG ending is the worst ending to anything i've ever seen or experienced in my life, and i had a really bad experience losing my virginity, so

that's pretty bad

Well at least the ME3 ending couldn't possibly surprise me then.

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I see you nerds turned Hopkins chat into shitty sci-fi ending chat.

I couldn't even keep watching BSG after awhile since it went from good to so bad.

The people writing BSG just had no idea what the fuck they were doing. They literally had no idea about communicating their themes or fulfilling an overarching plot.

They made it up as they went along. They admitted this, proudly.

When asked about a dramatic, apparently symbolic scene, the writer said "I don't know what it means, I just thought it seemed pretty neat"

He had no fucking idea what he was doing and he just put a fluttering bird in there

It was a hot mess

ME3 isn't so horrible. It just... ends. Lamely.

You still had your climactic battle.

EM, if I quit around the start of season 3 did I make a good decision? Because it seemed like they were just like 'lol, we dunno what to do so lol they are now doing this'

edited February 2013
    And their main form of YOU MUST KEEP WATCHING was GUESS WHO IS A CYLON NOW

Then that actor could be a cylon forever and show up all the time in the robot scenes even if you'd never seen them before.

You know who's a cylon now? Your mom. So shut up!

OnTheLastCastle on
    The people writing BSG just had no idea what the fuck they were doing. They literally had no idea about communicating their themes or fulfilling an overarching plot.

They made it up as they went along. They admitted this, proudly.

When asked about a dramatic, apparently symbolic scene, the writer said "I don't know what it means, I just thought it seemed pretty neat"

He had no fucking idea what he was doing and he just put a fluttering bird in there

It was a hot mess

It doesn't seem terribly hard to me

you sit down with the other writers and sketch out a skeleton of a plot. You put down the themes you want to cover, and all the major story beats. You make sure there's a discrete beginning, middle, and end.

then, as you write episodes (or missions and dialogue) you make sure you're building to the next plot point smoothly and staying on track with your themes.

I can't read that spoiler, Jeep. I haven't played ME3 yet! I should just play it. I bought it when it came out!

You can read this one though, it trashes the ending that was "inspired" by watching too much BSG without giving away plot details.
    The BSG ending pulled off the realization of the human-cylon hybrid being the next step for humanity (and cylons) well, even if Earth and the luddite thing was gay.

The "good" ME ending tries to address a similar idea but does it in a way which manages to be hugely unethical, violently opposed to the central themes of the story across all three games, completely pants on head ridiculous not passing even a Star Trek level of sci-fi believability, and tragic.

All at the same time.

And that was the "good" ending.

This discussion has been closed.