As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2nd Annual PAX East Cult of the Leaf

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    So this meetup (hoping I make it) will be my first cigar in 3 years. I'm tempted by the Maker's Mark infused line. Anyone try them? All hype or worth looking into?

5I7JEDi.png
  • Options
    ShirakShirak Registered User regular
    Eh. I didn't consider an event. I figure we just show up and take a corner of the place over. That place is huge.

• Options
    wolfsblood101wolfsblood101 Registered User regular
    hey, is there a twitter to follow for this event? this is the first time im going for all 3 days, don't wanna miss out on this

Hotel [X] Travel [X] 3 Days of badges[X] Crew[X] ITS ON!
  • Options
    KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Shirak wrote: »
    Eh. I didn't consider an event. I figure we just show up and take a corner of the place over. That place is huge.

Not being from Boston, I really have no idea what the capacity of these places are (which is why I wasn't willing to take a risk). If you say we'd have no trouble getting a dozen guys in on a Saturday night without any kind of reservation, then maybe it's viable.

But the other problem is that, with PAX lasting until 2 AM every night, anything that takes you away from the convention center is cutting into precious PAX time, and by the time PAX ends for the night, everything's closed. The first year I went, I tried to go to some off site parties and stuff, but over time I've decided the best bet is just to enjoy PAX while it lasts. So an on-site, 2 AM thing still seems ideal to me, but I recognize opinions differ.

• Options
    RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    I was actually just looking for a cigar bar when I suddenly remembered this thread. Stanza looks pretty cool, may not make sense to do a during Pax meet there but Im thinking of checking it out Thursday if anyone's around. Half tempted to suit up before I go.

RevGutter on
  • Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I'll be around Thursday pre-pubcrawl and would definitely be down for a meet-up at a cigar bar.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    gljvd wrote: »
    are there any good cheap portable humidors for cigars ? I have a local place near me in wayne NJ that rolls their own cigars and I'd certainly bring up a few. I dunno if I'm going to be able to meet up with you all but will try

There are tons available on amazon- search for "portable humidor" and you'll find tons. I can't reccomend any- I have never transported a cigar for more than a couple days, and for that, a simple ziplock bag and a drymistat tube is plenty.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    laivindil wrote: »
    I have a hookah, and live local. Is there really any issue at all with the PD? I've seen hookah's and other things being smoked quite often in the Common. Certainly all those people did not inform BPD. Never seen anyone hassled either. Not to mention Freedom Rally...

As I said, the previous people called BPD ahead of time, and told them what was up, and said they'd be totally cool with them dropping by to check it out, and we had absolutely no problems. The PD never bothered coming by. I'd strong suggest giving the BPD a heads up for this event since it's blatantly public, and located on the street if you're going to bring a hookah, but as long as you're only using tobacco, there's no problem. At worst, they'll drop by politely, take a look, and wander off. In all likelyness they won't bother, but eh. Keep in mind that they may.

The main reason for informing the BPD is because it's a very large group- that tends to attract attention, or at least interest anyway, so by being informative and helpful, it reduces the chances of attention (even if said attention isn't warranted.)

Kiashien on

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • Options
    Shirak wrote: »
    I hope I'm not out of line with this but,

I'm partial to interior spaces in Boston during March as typically it is quite cold and wet in Boston during that time of year, especially so at 2:00 AM.

That being said I'd still like to meet up with everyone and so, if I may, I'd like to propose an add-on outing for all cultists on Thursday or Saturday to possibly start at BCEC, migrate to Regina Pizza on Thacher Street for dinner (seriouly good pizza), then a a short constitutional (.2 mi) to Stanza dei Sigari on Hanover for cigars, booze and conversation till the wee hours or they throw us out.

Stanza is an awsome cigar bar. A tad pricy, but if we buy at least one cigar each and have some drinks no one will bother us if we start pulling out some of our favorites that we brought with.

Let me know if anyone is interested or if I'm totally off base with this idea.

I live in Boston, and believe me, I wish it was sane to be indoors. There's just no good way to do it- especially if we want to be inclusive. This way, people can just drop in, even if it was just someone going "Dude, you should do this thing after the concert!"

Koala tried pretty damned hard last year, like he said, but the cigar bars in Boston are super cautious due to a mostly hostile environment- people just don't want smoking in public places here, mostly, so they have a hard time. No excuse for the run around, but it's probably the reason.

• Options
    I'd like to ask people who plan on bringing:
    A) Extra Cigars for our less-capable brethren who did not know an event would even occur
    B) Those bringing extra Cigar gear (Humidors, Hefidors, etc) to give away
    C) Those just bringing extra to swap / trade / etc

to if you could post some details, when you have them. *This isn't required. Bring whatever you want.* I'm just trying to help people know what cool stuff is coming, and if they might want to trade for it... and to get a feel for how many extra smokes will be floating for random people we pick up :)

• Options
    Jim McAwesomeJim McAwesome PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Missed out on this last year, hoping to make it for my second PAX since I figure my head won't be spinning from all the PAX awesomeness this year.

cy9khf61zdnc.png
  • Options
    rewarrewar Boston, MassRegistered User regular
    i'm going to be making a stop over at Leavitt & Peirce in Harvard Square before PAX... (Leavitt & Peirce is a 130 year-old tobacco shop located in Harvard Square, Cambridge, MA, just across the street from the historic "old Harvard Yard." We have been a gathering place for generations of Harvard men and women, offering unique and traditional gifts, games, and toiletries. This is in addition to our fine selection of pipes, tobacco, cigars, and accoutrements.)

if anyone traveling in would like me to pick up something particular for them give me a heads up and i'll make a list...

• Options
    TreiusTreius Registered User new member
    Are there any plans for a pre pax meetup? Once PAX starts I'll likely be in a game induced haze and won't remember to stay up after the concerts.

I'll be in the area Thursday afternoon and I'd love to meet up with some people and maybe do some swapping.

• Options
    PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I will most definitely be enjoying some cigars while pubcrawling, I pronounce myself a moving cult meeting.

PayneTrayne on
    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    RevGutter wrote: »
    I was actually just looking for a cigar bar when I suddenly remembered this thread. Stanza looks pretty cool, may not make sense to do a during Pax meet there but Im thinking of checking it out Thursday if anyone's around. Half tempted to suit up before I go.

Stanza Dei Sigari is a personal favorite. They have a decent selection, a reasonable cutting fee should you wish to bring your own, an excellent selection of hooka sheesha, and they make some excellent drinks, and not at to unreasonable a price either for a somewhat classy cigar bar. Even better if your headed to the poke crawl at all this is in easy walking distance of fanuile hall (as far as previous years fanuile hall is somewhat central to the poke crawl). Suiting up would fit in nicely in the establishment but is not required. A personal favorite happening was when me and a few buddies went to Stanza Dei Sigari most of us dressed nicely but with one guy in his construction job attire. The funny part was when we all ordered relatively cheap drinks and the guy in the sweatshirt and work boots was ordering the blue label. As a bonus Stanza Dei Sigari is in the center of Boston's historic north end, a stones throw from the old north church (1 if by land 2 if by sea) so if you are interested in any kind of site seeing there is some to be had nearby Stanza Dei Sigari. Stanza Dei Sigari is also directly next to a pillar of the north end community known as Mike's Pastry, and hop skip and a jump away from the original Pizzeria Regina. As a mid day stop in the city of boston Stanza Dei Sigari is very hard to beat.

Churchill's is closer to the Fanuile hall area and scene but is, as are most establishments near the hall, more expensive. Though a few friends of mine swear by the place.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

Stanza Dei Sigari is a personal favorite. They have a decent selection, a reasonable cutting fee should you wish to bring your own, an excellent selection of hooka sheesha, and they make some excellent drinks, and not at to unreasonable a price either for a somewhat classy cigar bar. Even better if your headed to the poke crawl at all this is in easy walking distance of fanuile hall (as far as previous years fanuile hall is somewhat central to the poke crawl). Suiting up would fit in nicely in the establishment but is not required. A personal favorite happening was when me and a few buddies went to Stanza Dei Sigari most of us dressed nicely but with one guy in his construction job attire. The funny part was when we all ordered relatively cheap drinks and the guy in the sweatshirt and work boots was ordering the blue label. As a bonus Stanza Dei Sigari is in the center of Boston's historic north end, a stones throw from the old north church (1 if by land 2 if by sea) so if you are interested in any kind of site seeing there is some to be had nearby Stanza Dei Sigari. Stanza Dei Sigari is also directly next to a pillar of the north end community known as Mike's Pastry, and hop skip and a jump away from the original Pizzeria Regina. As a mid day stop in the city of boston Stanza Dei Sigari is very hard to beat.

Churchill's is closer to the Fanuile hall area and scene but is, as are most establishments near the hall, more expensive. Though a few friends of mine swear by the place.

• Options
    Sleep wrote: »

I'd be down for meeting up with anybody who's around Thursday afternoon there. I took a look at the website and it looks amazing. Anything that I can make it to at PAX would be my first herf, and I'd love to do some trading (my herf-a-dor is in the mail from cbid, and I'm excited to fill it up with some cool stuff).

• Options
    edited February 2013
    double post

Treius on
  • Options
    So my original plan was to hit Pizzeria Regina for dinner then Stanza afterward for cigars/libations as those locations are within easy walking distance of each other.

I'd love do something on Thursday if enough folks are coming in early and if that's the case then I'd be glad to take point on it as I started the whole "Let's do something other than at 2:00 am thing". Then we can all do the Friday at 2:00 am thing.

Pizzeria Regina does not take reservations so if we want to go as a group I would suggest that we make this an early dinner, say around 3 or 4ish, as that place gets packed for dinner and showing up later than that could result in a long wait time. Showing up at Stanza early around 5 or 6ish also ensures good seating there as well, but since it's so large I don't see any problems regardless of when we show up.

So if you all want to do a Thursday outing, just reply back to this thread with a heads up and we can make travel plans from there.

For Friday I intend to bring a couple of Gurkha products, the Legend Anniversario Perfecto and Legend Toro, perhaps 10 or 20 of those, and I might bring some shorter and or milder smokes for newbies who want to try a cigar but not turn four shades of green. These will be handouts/swap/trade or whatever.

• Options
    So my original plan was to hit Pizzeria Regina for dinner then Stanza afterward for cigars/libations as those locations are within easy walking distance of each other.

I'd love do something on Thursday if enough folks are coming in early and if that's the case then I'd be glad to take point on it as I started the whole "Let's do something other than at 2:00 am thing". Then we can all do the Friday at 2:00 am thing.

Pizzeria Regina does not take reservations so if we want to go as a group I would suggest that we make this an early dinner, say around 3 or 4ish, as that place gets packed for dinner and showing up later than that could result in a long wait time. Showing up at Stanza early around 5 or 6ish also ensures good seating there as well, but since it's so large I don't see any problems regardless of when we show up.

So if you all want to do a Thursday outing, just reply back to this thread with a heads up and we can make travel plans from there.

For Friday I intend to bring a couple of Gurkha products, the Legend Anniversario Perfecto and Legend Toro, perhaps 10 or 20 of those, and I might bring some shorter and or milder smokes for newbies who want to try a cigar but not turn four shades of green. These will be handouts/swap/trade or whatever.

• Options
    I am coming in early on Thursday as well, so if people want to get together for an early meet up, I'm all for that.

My plan is to hit Pizzeria Regina in the North End on Thacher St. for a late lunch/early dinner around 4 or 5ish then head off to Stanza as they are close and within walking distance of each other. Timing is negotiable depending on when people are coming in. Give me heads up and those of us coming in early can setup a meetup time and place.

For Friday, I have a number of different things I'll be bringing but haven't made and hard and fast decisions on what they will be yet.

• Options
    Good lord, Two different posts that say the same thing. Updating was so slow I thought the system lost my first one. LOL

• Options
    I'll be away for the next couple weeks, but, keep posting what you're bringing!

@Shirak, your loot sounds awesome. I'll see if I can find something special in my humi for you :)

• Options
    I'll likely do dinner with my group, but I'll do my best to come over to stanza 5-6ish.

I know I've got an Asylum 13 that I'll bring along, and I've got a extra Man O' War Virtue that I don't think I'll get to before PAX. I'll have a 10 count herfador with me, so I don't know what I'm going to fill the other slots with. My goal is to come back with a complete set of different cigars.

• Options
    RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    Don't know about what time I'll be in that area but I'd be all over a Thursday meet. What time does Stanza close?
    Going to be doing other things in the area and I'm the only smoker of the group so once they all head back to the hotel that's when I'll swing by.
    How's the scotch selection there? If they have some good 18 and up single malts I'll be very happy.

• Options
    I just got off the phone with the manager at Stanza and a private event room has a 1 kilobuck minimum, so thats out. We can reserve tables in general seating if we get 10 or more confimed attendees for 0 cost.

So everyone who wants to attend, please respond back in the forum and I'll put it together.

Stanza does not close until 1 AM and thier address is 292 Hanover St between Parmenter St & Richmond St.

• Options
    GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    Kiashien wrote: »
    I'd like to ask people who plan on bringing:
    A) Extra Cigars for our less-capable brethren who did not know an event would even occur
    B) Those bringing extra Cigar gear (Humidors, Hefidors, etc) to give away
    C) Those just bringing extra to swap / trade / etc

to if you could post some details, when you have them. *This isn't required. Bring whatever you want.* I'm just trying to help people know what cool stuff is coming, and if they might want to trade for it... and to get a feel for how many extra smokes will be floating for random people we pick up :)

I'll be bringing a few extras. Anything from Churchills to a few nubs and torpedos. I usually grab samplers (my taste in cigars tends to run the gamut) so if anyone has any requests let me know. I'm going to the pax dinner so don't plan on being at Stanza, just the Friday night deal.

• Options
    Alpha I OmegaAlpha I Omega Button Pusher in local news Registered User regular
    So any idea of when/where this will be exactly?

| Xbox Live GT: Alpha I Omega | PAX's Attended: Prime '11, Prime '12, Prime '13, East '13, Prime '14, Prime '15 |
    | Astro Gaming Chat Expert and Community Leader | Bacon Aficionado | Ewok Assassin |
    | Here's my BGG if you're a nerd: http://boardgamegeek.com/user/Alpha+I+Omega |
  • Options
    So any idea of when/where this will be exactly?

The standard meetup is Friday, next to the giant sign near the driveways in front and to the right (when facing outward) from the convention center. It's really hard to miss- they extend rather far up into the sky.

It will be Friday, right after Concerts get out (So ~2 am) weather permitting- if weather doesn't permit (due to terrible rain, etc) then it'll be Saturday after concerts get out.

There's a backup location for Sat if it's still crappy out, but I have to look up the details from last year for that.

Several people are discussing peripheral events, such as meeting up at a smoke bar or smoke shop separately, but the main event is still right after concert one day or the other.

• Options
    As a weather note: From my experience this year, we have a 10% chance of being pounded by a stupid blizzard, and 90% chance of 50 degrees or greater weather (I'm not joking, it really has been this year.. pretty much constantly. Even this obscene last snowstorm that dumped 2 feet of snow in 12 hours on us.. was followed by a week of 50 degree weather. Madness.)

So odds are good that we'll have at least not-freezing weather.

But we might have a blizzard. Because.

Oh well, I guess!

• Options
    JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    Good old MA weather.

• Options
    TechGamingNewsTechGamingNews CEO Cape May, NJ.Registered User regular
    If I can get some decent cigars I will bring some if not it will be me and my trusted pipe (TOBACCO just so there is no confusion)

DALTON DOOLY | CEO | T&G News
    http://techandgamingnews.com
    --
    [x]Media Pass [x] Hotel [x] Rental

I am not an exhibitor I am press I am not trying to step on toes, I am attending some Community functions to meet new people and have a good time.
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Is anyone going to the Poke Crawl? Im busing it from NYC to Boston so im not sure how many cigars i can bring but i will be smoking one during the pub crawl.

• Options
    rewarrewar Boston, MassRegistered User regular
    sooo.. i picked up a couple Montecristo - Rothchildes and an Ashton which i think is a Corona but i'm not sure.. so i'll have a Montecristo and the Ashton to trade and/or give away.. i'm looking forward to friday night.. my buddy and i have decided to take it easy after 8... we'll go have a nice steak dinner somewhere and have a few adult beverages.. then I'm gonna stroll over from the Renaissance and smoke a nice stogie in the crisp March air...

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I haven't been there myself, but apparently a restaurant near the BCEC has a decent cigar counter. Anthony's Pier 4. If I have the opportunity, I'll lunch there before PAX and take a look.

5I7JEDi.png
  • Options
    AlpineAnticAlpineAntic Registered User regular
    I will be very interested in an event like this.

• Options
    adastraadastra Registered User regular
    So suddenly I've found myself flying to PAX instead of driving (yay $120 fare!) which significantly cuts down on the amount of stuff I can bring along. I'd been planning to bring at least one spare humidor to give away, but it may or may not fit in my luggage. I suspect I won't know until I'm actually packing and deciding what to bring and what to ditch.

I've also asked for my Enforcer shifts to be at night, so I may be late to the party once again. If I do have stuff to share, I'll see if someone else can bring it out to the meetup before I get there. That seemed to work well last year!

• Options
    AlpineAnticAlpineAntic Registered User regular
    I will have to hit up the local (Boston) smoke shop and grab a bunch of extras to pass out

• Options
    def PDdef PD Registered User regular
    May show up with some friends. =]

This is why we can't have nice things!
  • Options
    embraceternityembraceternity Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'd love to show up, this sounds awesome. I'll try to buy spares in Boston, and maybe bring a few Pacific-Northwest brands with me on my flight, if I'm able to fit them in. :D I'll also check to see if my two hotel-roomies will want to tag along?