As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

bargue stuff[NSFW]

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    We had a beautiful model today. Her poses all seemed very serene and elegant. One of my gestures from today. I was trying to do more of the vilppu style of gesture. Didn't quite turn out that way, but I like the way it looks.
    wp000288.jpg

First longer pose of the day. She said to use something that we hadn't used before so I used conte crayon. Would have worked much better on mid tone paper, but all I had was newsprint :/
    wp000287c.jpg

I don't know how I feel about this one. The face was fun, but I got cut short working on it so some of the dark shapes aren't the right shape.
    wp000285.jpg

I really liked her pose on this one. The shape of the elevated arm, the way the shoulder muscles wrapped around, and since I've been watching those vilppu anatomy videos I was able to see it more clearly. I liked the pose, I like where it was going on paper, but we ran out of time :C :C :C :C :C :C
    wp000284i.jpg

ninjai on
    so drawing that face earlier I realized that aside from the orange analogy, I have no understanding of the face (still) or how it's constructed.

So I'm using loomis again. Here's some stuff. Sorry about the darkness.

wp000289u.jpg
    wp000291.jpg
    wp000290.jpg

edited February 2013
    Assignment from my figure drawing class, a copy of the rib cage from Anatomy for the Artist (Sarah Simblet) 1 of 3 more that I have to do. This took me 5 hours... Hour at school, hour at home, hour at the cigar lounge, and 2 hours just now. This is probably the most complex thing I've ever had to draw. This is also the first drawing that I've used every hardness of pencil at my disposal, from 4H to 8B and an ebony pencil. It is rewarding in it's own right, just trying to get the simple line drawing, the complex shapes... I don't know if the outcome was worth the effort, but a good learning experience for sure.

wp000297.jpg

ninjai on
  • HalenHalen Registered User regular
    Time seems to have been worth it - looks pretty fantastic!

Draw an egg.
  • MuddyParasolMuddyParasol Registered User regular
    Ninjai you've been putting forth a lot of effort and making big progress! Keep up the hard work!

Wow :) Thanks guys! That's very encouraging, I appreciate it

Here's part 2 of 3 for this assignment. Only took about 2.5 hours this time, give or take.

wp000299.jpg

I got payed today, and went to the local art store to get some stuff for class. I felt like a kid in a candy store. I got some new pencils and a conte pencil to try it out. Also got some mid tone paper to use the conte on, the newsprint made it look sickly, so I'm pretty excited to get using it
    wp000300.jpg

edited February 2013
    wp000303.jpg

Part 3 of 3 of my homework studying drawings of the rib cage. @angel_of_bacon I learned quite a bit about the value of taking your time on a drawing. 5 Hours is by far the longest I've ever spent on a single subject, being the first image I did. The second, while only taking half that long, it was much less saturated with detail. This one I worked on throughout the weekend when I had time, and only 1 other time (the cyberpunk dude I made) had I ever worked over multiple sessions on a drawing.

Goal this week 100 heads!!! Practice with loomis' guidelines, and learn proportions (so not necessarily from photo's)

ninjai on
    edited February 2013
    She had us draw with a blue pencil today ...? Due to the nature of the color blue, and the nature of photography, the following images are hard to see. My gestures are spoilered for being very hard to see.
    I was focusing on the vilppu method of gesture, I think these turned out ok.
    wp000308a.jpg
    wp000307x.jpg

The shadow on the knee is hilariously dark. It stands out something awful.
    wp000304.jpg

Here's conte on midtone paper. I really don't like the way the conte looks on this dark paper. I think the paper better suits charcoal. That combined with trying to learn the medium, I don't think that this particular drawing turned out very well. It's incomplete, but also the forms are very incoherent, though the line drawing was very good in my opinion. One of my better line drawings from this class
    wp000309w.jpg

ninjai on
    This is part of an assignment, but It sort of tied in with the enrichment, so I'm putting it here. The cast shadow wasn't part of the assignment, nor did I have any sort of physical shapes to use as reference, so this is done from a printout.
    wp000318z.jpg
    wp000316k.jpg
    wp000315t.jpg

a guy. head # 1 :D 99 to go :/
    wp000314e.jpg

wp000321d.jpg

HEADS!

These are people from school that I drew without their knowledge. I showed them afterwards and they all seemed to like them :) crits?
    wp000324f.jpg

edited February 2013
    Some more heads on this page.
    wp000327.jpg
    Some Falks.
    wp000328c.jpg

ninjai on
    edited February 2013
    More figure drawing stuff [edit] AUGHT WHY IS IT SO LIGHT!?!?!?
    wp000329d.jpg
    wp000330g.jpg
    wp000332c.jpg

I also drew a thing on my friends phone. I'll post it when I can figure out how to pull it from the phone...

ninjai on
    edited February 2013
    wp000333t.jpg
    A bunch of Buscemi's I fucking guess.

Miserable drawing day. I must have sat down 5 or 6 times to try and draw some heads, and they were all fucking miserable. So I forced myself to draw 6 Buscemi's anyway, and they're the worst of the lot. I'm doing the exact same shit I was doing yesterday, What the fuck am I doing wrong X(

I'm going to bed...

ninjai on
    edited February 2013
    wp000336.jpg

Drawring. Guess I didn't go to bed yet. Gonna work more on it later. Lines leaning all over the place, and a few wrong negative shapes. sweet.

Reference
    TimesSquare1943byAnonGiclee.jpg

ninjai on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    Hey ninjai, I just wanted to drop in and say that the figure drawings have all been really great and I am starting to see it reflected in your other work. I do wish you had a scanner or some way to better transfer your stuff to digital though! Keep it up, those rib cages are awesome!

• SpaceMooseSpaceMoose Registered User regular
    @ninjai of the Buscemi's I think the top left and bottom left are the best followed by the bottom right to my eye. It seems like he would be mega hard because his face is so expressive and has such a unique look. I think those that I mentioned captured that bit.

Also looking forward to where the Times Square one is going to go. Planning on coloring it?

edited February 2013
    wp000342.jpg

Some progress. I had to fix a lot of stuff, proportions and placement was pretty off. No I don't plan on coloring it, but I want to get a nice clean line drawing of it.

TIL: I should start with perspective lines...

ninjai on
    edited February 2013
    Still life from drawing 1 class. Brown and white conte. Was supposed to be black and white but my gray paper went missing. The bottle isn't symmetrical, and is waaaaaay too short. This was the first session, I'll be done with it by the end of next session. I should really slow down. :/
    wp000343l.jpg

Subject
    wp000344o.jpg

ninjai on
    edited February 2013
    More work on this. The sidewalk is massive crooked because of how I'm holding the pad, but I like how it's coming along. Any compositional or proportional/perspective problems? Any other problems that I don't know about?

Edit: I tried scanning it, the sketchbook is too thick. When I'm finished I'll take it out of the sketchbook and get it scanned. @brokecracker
    wp000350.jpg

ninjai on
    edited February 2013
    wp000357n.jpg

I tired something different on the bottom 2, starting with the sphere for the cranium, and instead of drawing the guidelines, drawing the contour. It was more fun I think. I'm so bad at this :C

v1200.jpg

I drew this on my friends phone during a break in the figure drawing class.

wp000361.jpg
    This is my grandpa doing his best to look like Patton.

ninjai on
    wp000364.jpg

I don't feel like these are all that great. The lighting wasn't any good, and my hand started to hurt.

Ever try to draw your feet in the mirror? Yeah me either. Hard to see :P I'll probably move right on to hands after I'm done with heads

edited February 2013
    wp000367.jpg

And more heads. They're both from the portrait drawing references tumblr that flay linked. One is from Inglorious Basterds. I really like the picture with the girl. I think it turned out ok. Not going for finished drawings, still trying to get the head down

[edit] Can someone tell me if I'm doing anything completely wrong, or is it just a "wait and do more" thing before I get the hang of it?

ninjai on
    Now I remember why I don't like compressed charcoal. It gets dark really easily, and is hard to move. I need to learn to use this shit.
    wp000368d.jpg

Our model today had some really dynamic poses, and the gestures were really fun. This is my favorite, the rest are spoilered.
    wp000370t.jpg
    wp000371.jpg
    wp000373k.jpg
    wp000372s.jpg

edited February 2013
    BLARG. So I could have rendered the hand on the second one sure, but I'm not doing this to practice rendering hands, I'm trying to learn the head. Her skin was such a soft white, I couldn't figure out how to draw it, because it disappeared into the background. That and no matter how soft a pencil I used the darks never seemed to get dark enough. Beautiful model though. Too bad I made her look like justin beiber instead of Audrey Hepburn.

My favorite part of this is the line variation on the hat of the left girl. It gets lots in the photo though :(
    [edit] oh wow, her head is much wider than I drew it, and its all at a stupid angle... stupid drawing... :/ Can I be good now and stop making these mistakes? :C
    wp000379i.jpg

reference for the struggle one. Not a very high resolution :/
    tumblr_mf4cawgACi1qahe9so1_500.jpg

My favorite of a few pages doodlin
    wp000381px.jpg

ninjai on
    edited February 2013
    wp000382.jpg

Top one was fun. Bottom one was a bit of a struggle. The head was tilted but not enough to make it obvious so I had to rearrange stuff a few times. I didn't notice the right eye until I uploaded it. I've learned a lot the last 2 days about drawing with form rather than line. What I learned is it's really damn hard. This is 34 by my count. 60-some to go :P

ninjai on
  • pineappleherbpineappleherb Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    fuck yes that first face there is great lol

you draw better when you draw bigger, bro

pineappleherb on
    edited February 2013
    AH!!! pineapple, thanks man. I was thinking of you when I saw the photo, I thought "this looks like something he'd draw". Thanks for the compliment :D Made my day. Also I noticed that I am doing better with the larger drawings. :) Thanks a bunch

Here's some more. I watched proko's videos on anatomy of features, i think it's helping a lot

[edit] er... some. it's helping some
    wp000392.jpg

ninjai on
  • JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    The second and third ones are looking pretty good. Can't say if they are completely accurate, but they have a lot of character and nothing sticks out as wrong

edited February 2013
    More. the top was fun :)
    wp000397u.jpg
    JohnTWM wrote: »
    The second and third ones are looking pretty good. Can't say if they are completely accurate, but they have a lot of character and nothing sticks out as wrong

Hey thanks :) Oddly the top is the most accurate of them as far as likeness goes, though her face was mostly featureless, or the lighting was too ambient. I think the head of the bottom is a bit small front to back. I really appreciate the comments. I have no idea how I'm doing, and it's really great when I get feedback from other artists. Most of the feedback I get is something akin to "wow that's really good. I can't draw like that... :| It's great for encouragement, but otherwise not valuable for critique :P

So thanks again :)

ninjai on
    The bottom face grimacing at the other two... Yuck :C
    wp000398.jpg

edited February 2013
    heads. I went back to count. Almost halfway done :)

Why does the first guy look like a fucking anime character. his eyes don't look all that large to me :C
    wp000409h.jpg

this was at a local gallery. did a quick sketch of it.
    wp000404.jpg

ninjai on
    edited February 2013
    wp000408f.jpg

Yuck. I'm done for today

edit:

I forgot I did some more work on this Friday in class. Was trying to separate the flower from the cloth, as well as reconcile some of the darker shapes toward the back left. Working on composition, my teacher had me work on something to do for the negative space. I had already been thinking about the meaning during the planning part, so I got to work. I'll post it when it's completely finished. Here's where it is before I mutilated the paper.

wp000388.jpg

ninjai on
    edited February 2013
    More heads.
    wp000412l.jpg

YAY! I've filled my second sketchbook since starting this thread. A month and a half of drawing. chugga chugga

ninjai on
    edited February 2013
    So proko's 2 tone thing is really helpful :) I know he didn't come up with it, but it's still a good idea
    I used a tortillion on this just to see how it would look. Not going for a finished thing :P

#50, halfway there!!!
    wp000416b.jpg

[edit] after having some time to look at it, the far eye is a tad too big :/

ninjai on
    edited February 2013
    Not a bad way to start the new sketchbook :)
    wp000428i.jpg

After having a chance to look at the top drawing, it's quite elongated. I was sitting at a table for the first time in a while, looking down at the pad. If you look at it at my angle it's in perspective.

Lesson learned, don't draw on a flat surface

My connery isn't quite sitting on the frame the right way. IDK why

[edit]

I knew something was bothering me. The left ear was not the same size as the right ear, and they didn't line up. Fixed?
    wp000429f.jpg

ninjai on
  • iamJLNiamJLN Penny Arcade Stallion Boston Registered User regular
    Very cool.

edited February 2013
    @iamJLN thanks :)

I finally found a good search phrase for google images. "Dramatic Lighting Portrait" turns up good results for face drawing references.

Attempted fix after original upload. Fixing his ear reveals that his mouth is too low offsetting everything below it and his chin is all fucked up... feh
    wp000437x.jpg

I keep making the back eye bigger than the front eye, AND I did the same thing as I did with connery making the back ear WAY too small :C... :C After measuring both the eye ball and the iris are about the same size. Maybe It's an optical illusion because they ARE the same size, and the back should be SMALLER, idk.
    Original:
    wp000434z.jpg

Ref:
    meblog.gif

Having a terrible time in my figure drawing class. I'm getting a little sick of the class because we don't get any real drawing time, no time to warm up, it all feels rushed, and we STILL haven't begun using a light source for the model........................... [/facepalm] Oh, and the only feedback we get on the homework is a check mark. All that work on the ribs, legs, and fingers and the only feedback I get is "check".
    wp000432.jpg

ninjai on
  • SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    hey thanks for the tip, i also have trouble finding good ref.

as far as the check thing goes, the important thing is that your are practicing and from the looks of it improving, i guess it would be nice to get some more feedback from your teachers, but hey thats what we are here for :).

that face you drew has some REALLY true blacks in that shadowed area and you skimped put on the darkness there. really try and draw what you see not what you think is there.

SeveredHead on
    edited February 2013
    that face you drew has some REALLY true blacks in that shadowed area and you skimped put on the darkness there. really try and draw what you see not what you think is there.
    I'm using graphite. I can't get any darker. Some of the place I'm digging in with a prismacolor ebony pencil, using 7 and 8 b's for the rest of the shadow area. IDK how to get any darker :C Plz halp

@tynic thanks for the video in the question thread. I'll get to work on that pronto

ninjai on