As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're talking [chat]ball

• Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Those meteor videos are stunning. Why can't something this exciting happen here?

Much smaller target than Central Russia.

But why would you want that, anyway? 500 people injured, mass panic. Plus, if it happened here, there'd be a handful of videos from people's iPhones, not a few million dashboard cameras capturing the Universe taking a shot across our bow in real-time.

Edit: Burn on those dinosaurs. The only things they did better than us were suck and die!

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Those meteor videos are stunning. Why can't something this exciting happen here?

fuuuuck thaaaaaat
    The most interesting geologic /cosmic events in the UK? Tiny earthquake and the coast gradually falling into the sea. I demand more!

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    The building I work in has a metric fuckton(roughly) of windows. I am near a bunch right now. If a meteor hit right now I'd be like Sid 6.7 at the end of of Virtuosity.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
    edited February 2013
    Double post

Sagroth on
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I got allllllll the badgers

Sagroth wrote: »
    The building I work in has a metric fuckton(roughly) of windows. I am near a bunch right now. If a meteor hit right now I'd be like Sid 6.7 at the end of of Virtuosity.

The building I work in has been described by co-workers as "the glass palace." So, yeah. Glad the Oort Cloud didn't fling its shit closer to my neck of the woods.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »

Put them in your trousers!

fuuuuck thaaaaaat
    The most interesting geologic /cosmic events in the UK? Tiny earthquake and the coast gradually falling into the sea. I demand more!

Several impacts/airborne explosions across Central Russia resulting in 500+ injuries, concentrated in an area the size of the UK, would have meant fatalities. Glad that didn't happen, you should be, as well.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

fuuuuck thaaaaaat

Several impacts/airborne explosions across Central Russia resulting in 500+ injuries, concentrated in an area the size of the UK, would have meant fatalities. Glad that didn't happen, you should be, as well.
    Fiiine.
    Bogart wrote: »
    Come, friendly meteorites
    And fall on Slough.
    Slough literally means "swampy hole". I couldn't stop laughing when I found out.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Did Putin really take credit and claim that they shot the meteorites down before they could do damage?

PSN: Honkalot
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    And fall on Slough.

Would almost certainly catch most of London within the shockwave

I am okay with this

fuck gendered marketing
    Elldren wrote: »
    And fall on Slough.

Would almost certainly catch most of London within the shockwave

I am okay with this
    I live in London. I'd still be ok with this, there is waaay too much focus on this city.

edited February 2013
    And fall on Slough.

Strike him down and he'll become more powerful than you can imagine

Sagroth on
    edited February 2013
    Honk wrote: »
    Did Putin really take credit and claim that they shot the meteorites down before they could do damage?

Nah, this whole rumor has the whiff of batshit-crazy RTV speculation.

Same people who like to bring on guests who think Obama is literally a lizard-person from outer space.

Zoku Gojira on
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Casual wrote: »

Put them in your trousers!

That's ferrets!

I would not give a shit if I died to a meteorite.

It would look cool enough to be worth it. Come at me bro.

Too lazy to check Ebay. Fraudsters selling meteorite bits yet?

I bet he's deeply ashamed he couldn't catch it with his bare hands.

edited February 2013
    Wtf?

Sagroth on
    edited February 2013
    Triple post

Sagroth on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njP6YczRgsA

For some reason today I am playing the first ten minutes of dredd through my head a lot. I love his monologue at the start where he talks about mega city one.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    I was wondering what exactly the problem on the carnival ship was, cuz I haven't been paying any attention to that story

This is like a paragraph into the first story I read about THE HORRORS
    Passenger Janie Baker told MSNBC's Ed Schultz that people managed the situation well and that the crew was "fantastic," but on the final night, "people's tempers started flying." She described one incident where another passenger tried to disrupt a movie, and was taken away by the crew. "If we had gone any longer, it could have been much, much worse," she said.

Aaaand ok I don't care anymore

But there was poop everywhere!

Rich people not understanding that they can't poop in their toilet without running water is not an emergency, it's just them being dumb.

I mean, it sucks that that's how your vacation goes down, but you've got ziplock bags and hand sanitizer, and you've still got plenty of food and water, and apparently the ship still has power, and the weather is still lovely. It's not like they have to start fires in their cabins for heat.

I honestly think they had a personal hell there, I don't know about your quote but everything else I've seen speaks to it being very terrible. Simultaneously it seems to me that it was so terrible because they were being dumb and overreacting. Basically when the situation started happening they immediately cast off society and went totally native. So it's interesting to me in a mass psychology way.

I gotta wonder though, they have a pool I figure. A pool has room for several million liters. Did they have a bucket on the ship? Congratulations - now the 3,000 people on the ship can flush their toilets as usual for 6 months.

Yeah I was wondering about that

I mean it's a ship, so I assume it's a good bit more complex than just the simple setup we'd have at home, but surely there must be some way to at least flush it down into the piping?

But yeah, it seems like the kind of thing where there's just enough danger to start people acting weird, and then after that basically just nothing for people to do, so people just sit around and start thinking up stupid shit

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    Haphazard wrote: »

I bet he's deeply ashamed he couldn't catch it with his bare hands.

BDIK_p0CQAAdJx1.jpg

edited February 2013
    so weird

Sagroth on
    edited February 2013
    Sorry!

Sagroth on
    edited February 2013
    Quintuple post?

Sagroth on
    edited February 2013
    Ok posting is getting weird

Sagroth on

There are several known cases of people hit directly who survived. If it's not big enough to flatten a city, and not energetic enough to airburst in the atmosphere, but instead actually falls to the ground, there's a good chance a small meteorite will hit with painful, but not lethal amount of momentum, and be cool to the touch thanks to the low temperatures that basically blasted Superman's freeze-breath at it on the way down.

Of course, if it's the size of that big space-rock all those gold rush era miners posed standing on top of back in the 19th century, you're gonna be pancaked.

I was wondering what exactly the problem on the carnival ship was, cuz I haven't been paying any attention to that story

Passenger Janie Baker told MSNBC's Ed Schultz that people managed the situation well and that the crew was "fantastic," but on the final night, "people's tempers started flying." She described one incident where another passenger tried to disrupt a movie, and was taken away by the crew. "If we had gone any longer, it could have been much, much worse," she said.

Rich people not understanding that they can't poop in their toilet without running water is not an emergency, it's just them being dumb.

I mean, it sucks that that's how your vacation goes down, but you've got ziplock bags and hand sanitizer, and you've still got plenty of food and water, and apparently the ship still has power, and the weather is still lovely. It's not like they have to start fires in their cabins for heat.

I honestly think they had a personal hell there, I don't know about your quote but everything else I've seen speaks to it being very terrible. Simultaneously it seems to me that it was so terrible because they were being dumb and overreacting. Basically when the situation started happening they immediately cast off society and went totally native. So it's interesting to me in a mass psychology way.

I gotta wonder though, they have a pool I figure. A pool has room for several million liters. Did they have a bucket on the ship? Congratulations - now the 3,000 people on the ship can flush their toilets as usual for 6 months.

I mean it's a ship, so I assume it's a good bit more complex than just the simple setup we'd have at home, but surely there must be some way to at least flush it down into the piping?

But yeah, it seems like the kind of thing where there's just enough danger to start people acting weird, and then after that basically just nothing for people to do, so people just sit around and start thinking up stupid shit

Unless it is vacuum controlled in some way I dunno, out of three thousand I would hope 2,950 think of using the pool as flush source. So I guess it just didn't work with that set-up.

Yeah I think they basically lord of the flies'ed themselves, a week more and I figure they would have started killing people off not joking.

edited February 2013
    Well, it's too damn late, but I'm glad I was up anyway, to check out that coverage.

Be safe, watch for falling space rocks, never forget to check your references, and never, ever trust a big butt and a smile.

Good night all.

Zoku Gojira on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

The sewage system relied on pumps. The toilets used a vacuum-flush system, not a gravity flush system. It was inoperative.

fuck gendered marketing
    The ship thing made me patent a "shit-swing" though. You strap yourself in and it swings you overboard and you shit into the ocean in a safe manner. No longer will you have to shit on the floor.

Tagline is gonna be like: "Just another drop (of poop) in the ocean"

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    The birthday was fun. Gift of buns very much appreciated.

Went to a restaurant bar thing that was almost empty and almost closed and they kept open just for us

Then i got a message from a certain girl saying hey cadiokids haven't played yet, get over here

So me and a mate left for that place, where there is only one ticket left

Which he gives to me <3

And since as a result i am posting from her bathroom again i owe him a lot of beers now

ftOqU21.png
    It was your Birthday, Abdy? Happy belated one!

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Doggy is curled up in my lap adorably.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Our new business cards are fucking busy. TEXT TEXT TEXT TEXT

Well done marketing. You've made us all business cards that will be thrown away when the client looks at the back and thinks they are just advertising material.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    My kitten was all "dooon't gooo! don't leeeeeave me!" this morning. I fear for my wallpaper.

You can always tell if a game is Japanese or not due it using serif type for the hud. They always do that for some reason.

This discussion has been closed.