As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Smilies not visible, are there supposed to be popups?

MordrothMordroth EntrepreNerdNew Republic of AlbertaRegistered User regular
Hi there,

Just wondering if I'm missing some functionality over here. When I type in a smilie as :) it totally disappears. I don;t even see the text. Is there a setting to change that to make it work?

Also, I don;t seem to get notifications when someone tags me via @Mordroth - is this just an email alert or is there supposed to be a popup or something? It just seems like there isn't much difference other than the link colour for me. Could this just be because I'm using IE 9? (Don't hate, work computer!)

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I see the emote, so they are appearing on our end. Don't know enough about IE, but it...should show them.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2013
    Can you see the emote in other posts, such as this: :bz:

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MordrothMordroth EntrepreNerd New Republic of AlbertaRegistered User regular
    No... I see a colon and that's it. I do see the smilies in the drop-down on the top right of the chat box, but they don't seem to work in the post.

:winky: :twisted: D:

• Options
    MordrothMordroth EntrepreNerd New Republic of AlbertaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Although on that previous post they worked fine.... I clicked on the icons instead of simply typing the emote

Mordroth on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I don't see any smilies in the first post, but do see 3 in the 4th post.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I don't see them on IE9 in the first post, I do see them on chrome.

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Im using IE9 (at work, so cant use different browser till I get home), but I see this:

(broken image) :bz alt=:bz src="/plugins/Emotify/design/images/115.gif" width=1 height=1>: in Rorus' text above.

I see the emote in the alt text section though... bizarre.

El Skid on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    Im using IE9 (at work, so cant use different browser till I get home), but I see this:

(broken image) :bz alt=:bz src="/plugins/Emotify/design/images/115.gif" width=1 height=1>: in Rorus' text above.

I see the emote in the alt text section though... bizarre.

I'm no Vanilla expert, but I think what you're seeing is a clash between Vanilla's form of smiley rendering, the old PA way of doing it and how Chrome and IE prioritise HTML/CSS rendering.

In days of yor, vBulletin used a CSS file to automatically replace smiley codes with their images as background pictures. However what Vanilla appears to do is read the text as you're posting it, and any smiley codes detected are manually replaced with the HTML code to display the image. The problem with this approach is the "alt=[smiley]" section of that code. Chrome is clever enough to ignore it, but IE sees it and renders that sub image first, breaking the HTML code. Vanilla's style is also why we see :x instead of the old madface.