As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Long and Winding Road

BelieveBelieve Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Artist's Corner
named for the song that inspired the image. :whistle:

You might've seen this up in the doodle thread, and I altered it based on the comments given. I'm putting the full version sketch and the close-up on the girl.

lwr-basicfull.jpg

... I keep wanting to make the town smaller to make it seem more distant. Coloring is going to be kind of dark and drab, with the house being more lit-up than the others to stand out, along with the road. Not sure how to color the girl.

lwr-basicbody.jpg

Her feet are currently shapeless blobs because after drawing and re-drawing them several times I've given up and settled on fixing them later. Any and all help on the feet is especially appreciated.

I'm aiming for finishing this sometime early next week, or at least by Saturday, since my family is going on a two-week trip to Serbia next Sunday and I would really like to have it finished by then.

Believe on

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is the town on a different level than the girl? Because otherwise...
    persp.jpg
    ...that is one goddamn small house.

Mayday on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mayday wrote: »

Wow, thanks mayday, I've never heard of that rule before. Granted, I've never studied perspective or taken an honest drawing course before, but still.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • BelieveBelieve Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Mayday wrote: »
    persp.jpg

Heh, yes.

I actually was doing it with perspective lines earlier, but I took them out because I was worried I'd have to do the girl from a near birds-eye view, which I did not want nor did I ever imagine doing so. Still doesn't look quite right, though, does it?
    I'm not sure what to do about bases. Not entirely sure WHAT they are, either... been a long, long time since my last art class covered that (since I haven't taken one in three years and never draw perspective). Suggestions?

She's supposed to be wearing a skirt (ends at her ankles when she stands up), but the way I drew it doesn't look right.:?

Believe on
  • CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Can some explain Mayday's theory to me? I want to get it.. but I don't

At the moment her upper body looks twisted towards us than the lower body so maybe the right elbow could be a little lower. Or the left one a little higher. Waheva

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

perspective O_O

lilchingch0ng on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2007

perspective O_O

Scary stuff...

Projeck on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

I'm not very good at perspective myself, but I think...

Base lines are relative

Thus, A lines are relative

Thus, house is kind've small.

But I'm dumb. So maybe I'm way off.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    What is this pa..spek..teve you all speak of?

EDIT: As I was typing how I still didn't get it- I had my own idiot lecture and managed to solve it :)
    Hooray for threads back on track!

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • thundercakethundercake Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm no ace at perspective myself...but the closer to the ground your POV is, the flatter the road should look...basic rule of thumb :)

You might want to reconsider the position of the hands...if she were resting her chin on them, they'd probably have their fingers interlocked, and they'd be pressed down in the middle. I also think her right shoulder is out a little too far.

thundercake on
    edited August 2007
    I think I see what Mayday was saying now. I redid the road a bit and made the girl smaller, as well as changed the way the house was drawn (for the record it IS kind of small, although probably not as small as Mayday was saying it looked).

Laid some basic, rough colors to sketch out what I want it to look like:

lwr-basicfull2.jpg

... except initially I wanted a light shining down along the road and on the house. Yet for some reason, I can't paint it out correctly. =/

As for the shoulder... you're the second person to mention that, at least. Thing is I had a friend pose for me while drawing this and her shoulder was sticking forward in her pose. Although she was sitting only two feet away from me, and it was kind of hard to get a good view, so I guess that doesn't do much. Shall fix that tomorrow.

Believe on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007

maydaystheory.jpg

NakedZergling on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's not so much a theory as geometry. There's not really room to question it. Math is pretty absolute. So, your house is still only as tall as two people, and it now looks like it has two floors.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Allow me to explain. The perspective of the house (and the alignment of the character) in the OP implies that the viewer is at about 1,5 human height (about 2,7m). The eye level of the viewer is the horizon. Therefore, if you're placing the background building at the same level (base) as the character, you need to draw it so that the part of the building we expect to be at 2,7m has to be located on the horizon level. The rest should be above (therefore the low building edges should go / while the higher ones should go \ .
    It is a very wise rule to always start your work with the horizon line.

I like the mood and colours of the picture though I'm not sure what I understand what you're trying to achieve with the light.

Mayday on
  • thundercakethundercake Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Also wanted to point out, it's very weird for a road to lead DIRECTLY to the front door of any house, even a farmhouse. Houses are usually on the side of dirt paths or roads. It looks like the road leads to a village too, which makes it even more unusual. (If this is meant to be surreal/nonreality then feel free to ignore me.)

thundercake on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The road doesn't really seem that long, a five minute walk perhaps. :S

Projeck on
  • NakedElfNakedElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    To me the big problem is just that the road is nowhere near long enough to convey the melancholy feeling I assume the pic is supposed to convey. I get the impression that I'm supposed to feel 'poor girl, so far from the warm light of home,' but instead it looks more like she just went a few minutes down the road to have some quiet time. I think the road really needs to meander and the town needs to be quite a bit further into the distance to make it work.

NakedElf on
    edited August 2007
    Well, I always imagined the road leading to the house because... bah, listen to the song a bit, or read the lyrics. You'll get it better than I can explain it.

Current progress:

lwr-basicfull3.jpg

lwr-basicbody2.jpg

Altered the town and the hands of the girl, as suggested. Although now her right arm looks just... off.
    Project37 wrote: »
    The road doesn't really seem that long, a five minute walk perhaps. :S
    That's really my problem. I'm making it bigger, as suggested, but I really think a smaller town would make it look more distant. But then it makes the houses look tiny. I want to fix BOTH these (and her feet ._.) but I don't know how. Which is why I'm posting here, eh?

Believe on
  • CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You've made her wrist as wide as the end her forearm. (At the elbow) The wrist should be smaller and the forearm at the elbow should be wider. Do that pose yourself and take a look at your arm, you'll see it.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.