As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dust 514] Internet Cyborg Space Marines

• psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    i got into the beta earlier, and like most people, didnt really like the gameplay or the purchasing or anything about it.

i recently decided to give it another chance, and im not sure what happened... something about it clicked for me. im really enjoying it. ive been top 3-5 on my team in almost every match. seriously, im just really enjoying this game right now.

so anyways, if there is a PA corp, id love to get in it, otherwise I'm working on starting one up myself. taking suggestions for names.

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Remote Mines are the best thing...

I rock a pretty unusual fit. Right now I'm running around in an Advanced Logi suit armed with an ELM-7 laser rifle. Half of my modules are dedicated to stealth and e-war; I run 2x Advanced Profile Dampers.

So I'm running around and randomly pull aggro, start sprinting around a corner out into open ground, dropping remotes as I go. After a bit I hear HMG fire from behind that's not connecting, so I turn around to get sitrep. Two HMG heavies have followed me out into a killing zone and are spreading out to try to box me in. I zap the shields off of Heavy #1, pop remotes to kill heavy #2, and leisurely lase away the rest of #1's armor as he just kinda stands there, morale broken.

Sokpuppet on
  • rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    Well I run with Betamax. Which is a group that grew out of the dust514 channel over on irc.coldfront.net and we are always looking for more mercs.

Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    So...just started this up. Going from xbox to ps3 controls makes me feel...ultra slow. I'm barely getting a handle on things before I'm dead :(

PSN: jfrofl
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Radiation wrote: »
    I'm barely getting a handle on things before I'm dead :(

Welcome to EvE Dust

edited February 2013
    Radiation wrote: »
    So...just started this up. Going from xbox to ps3 controls makes me feel...ultra slow. I'm barely getting a handle on things before I'm dead :(

Focus on not dying rather than killing. The kills will come on their own. If you die more than twice per match, you're being too aggressive.

Never get into a LAV. Not even once.

Try to stick to the outside edges of the engagement area and stay in cover.

Never fight to hold the low ground.

Pick up at least 3 ranks of Light Weapon Sharpshooter (or Sidearm Sharpshooter if you're going the SMG route).

Never engage a target that is aware of your presence - if they know you're there, break contact and try to find a way to flank, or just head to a different area of the map. This is suuuuper important. If they can see you, you're lit up on enemy radar for their entire team.

Radar works by comparing signature radius to scan precision. Your signature radius decreases when you crouch, and increases by various amounts as you walk, run, jump, or shoot. Various skills and modules can increase your scan precision and radar range, or decrease your sig radius so you stop pulling aggro from the entire map whenever you fire your weapon. Knowledge is power.

Always cook your grenades.

Remote Mines are your friend. Learn to love them. Put them on objectives. Put them everywhere someone might walk. or drive. Best 6,000 SP you will ever spend.

Sokpuppet on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    So, I did not like this game much at all when I played before. Is it better now? It sounds better now.

616610-1.png
    edited February 2013
    Depends on when you played it last. There are good things about it.
    It's not improved much over time, but it's free so give it another try?
    I go through periods of loathing the game, but sometimes it clicks and I obsess over it.

I think I'm just about back to hating it, though this may be because I've been Nova Knifing exclusively and still going at least 2 for 1. The player base is sooooo baaaaad right now.

Sokpuppet on
  • BuzzwordsBuzzwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    The player base is sooooo baaaaad right now.

i think it's drawn a lot of eve players, or just non FPS players. I cannot imagine the old t-rex "he can't see us if we don't move" thing working, yet soooooo many of them are trying it? not to mention you can kinda tell the people that couldn't bother to even look at a suit fitting, or what weapons exist on the marketplace. some people just melt, and many times i've seen the old battlefield3 "drive buggy up, swap to gunner seat, profit" tactic since the beta opened up. AV grenades are just about the best thing ever.

my KDR in most shooters tends to end up somewhere between 1.4-2. in dust i'm already at 3.5 and climbing, while making isk. i don't think i magically got reflexes, but having a varied gaming pedigree has helped me sink my teeth into the skills and fittings aspect while still being able to play at least competently.

Buzzwords on
    I have no idea why people even attempt to use LAVs

To the scanning system and your display radar, the way you described it is the way it's supposed to work, it doesn't really, it has alot of bugs, they are known to the devs, but as the system is not doing what they want at a base level, even taking the bugs into account, they are scrapping it and are working on a completely different system.

as to the LAV thing, I have a swarm launcher, bring it.

You can not think about this game as just another shooter, so many people do, so many people are wrong. I keep getting people asking me what class do you play, after I explain that there are no classes, they as what role I play, again I explain I provide the role my team needs at the moment, then they ask me what suit I use. This Idea that we are limited, that we should only do one thing is wrong.

I mainly run Logistics suits, as they provide me with alot of equipment and a good shield/armor balance with enough fitting and slots to use it for anything. but I don't use it for everything, and I'm not limited to it, with supply depots I can change into any number of suits. I have assualt suits for fast AV, I have Heavy suits for real AV work, I have scout suits for speed assualts. The suit doesn't limit the role, the fitting does.

Best way I have of telling people how they should look at this game is your only limited by your skill with your input device and your ability to think. Should someone use a heavy suit as a speed assualt with a shotgun, probably not, but they do, should you ever fit a logi with a swarm launcher, again I don't think so, but they do.

If you don't like the controler, use a keyboard and mouse, or the move. we have three viable control systems, I know people who actually use all three depending on what they are doing.

if you guys have the inclination head over to the #dust514 channel on the coldfront irc network, we have a decent group there and on occasion some devs. you can get there thru an irc client or head over to dust514.org and click on the chat button, but if you do that, please change the nick, we mock anyone who jumps on with a mib name.

Original Creepy Janitor

I may have to dig out a keyboard and mouse for this.
    I've been playing way to many x-box games and the ps3 controller just feels wierd.

I do like the insight rucdoc. I feel like I'm trying to switch based on the things I see on the field, but nothing has really clicked for me other than sniper (which I'm not that great at yet)

When I played in the closed beta, I felt like any fight was random. Im a pretty good shot in games like CoD, BF3, halo etc. but I just absolutely felt like I couldnt keep my bullets on guys long enough to kill. My greatest success came with shotties cause I could 1 or 2 hit kill people, and guys who were in heavy armor, well I could just get in their face and they couldnt hit me at all so I could 5-6 hit kill them.

I havent again tried yet, but I fear it will be the same.

Then again, the closed beta had a lot of good teams working toegther to pretty much keep tanks invincible and no logi warfare to really counter that. So maybe with a bunch of scrubs, I will dominate.

616610-1.png
    edited February 2013
    Disrupter wrote: »
    When I played in the closed beta, I felt like any fight was random. Im a pretty good shot in games like CoD, BF3, halo etc. but I just absolutely felt like I couldnt keep my bullets on guys long enough to kill. My greatest success came with shotties cause I could 1 or 2 hit kill people, and guys who were in heavy armor, well I could just get in their face and they couldnt hit me at all so I could 5-6 hit kill them.

I havent again tried yet, but I fear it will be the same.

Then again, the closed beta had a lot of good teams working toegther to pretty much keep tanks invincible and no logi warfare to really counter that. So maybe with a bunch of scrubs, I will dominate.

The problem you were having is a matter of playstyle.

If you're getting into "fights" in Dust, you're doing it wrong. If you just open up on everyone you see, yeah you're never going to meet with any success. You need to put yourself into situations where the target is A) unaware of you, B) can't get into cover fast enough once you engage, C) can't retaliate effectively.

Always gotta stop and think for a second before you pull the trigger.

Hit detection has definitely improved since the closed beta, and scout suits got a substantial mobility nerf.

rucdoc wrote: »
    To the scanning system and your display radar, the way you described it is the way it's supposed to work, it doesn't really, it has alot of bugs, they are known to the devs, but as the system is not doing what they want at a base level, even taking the bugs into account, they are scrapping it and are working on a completely different system.

I was directly describing my experience with the scanning system. The way it's supposed to work is the way it does, as far as I can tell. Not aware of any bugs. Could you describe them?

Sokpuppet on
    If you're getting into "fights" in Dust, you're doing it wrong. If you just open up on everyone you see, yeah you're never going to meet with any success. You need to put yourself into situations where the target is A) unaware of you, B) can't get into cover fast enough once you engage, C) can't retaliate effectively.

I mean, thats the same in all FPS though. You constantly want to get the jump on people. The problem is in this game, I could pop out of cover, see a guy running in the open, try to shoot him a bunch, have him turn around and just kill me. Or if I started staifing quick enough instead of being all "no! No way! How is this guy not dead!" wed just at eachother until one of us had to reload.

I mean, yeah I definitely have a lot to learn about the various weapons/suits/equipment/skills to improve my play, but shooting and killing someone, which is sort of the backbone of any FPS, seemed very difficult to do.

But if hit detection has gotten a boost, and some speed nerfs have occured, that may fix my issues.

The best way I could describe it is that there appeared to be little or no "sticky aim" which is absolutely required for a console, controller based FPS. It reminded me of playing Halo and trying to shoot team mates. You could chase a dude around trying to shoot them without them paying any attention, but unless they stopped, or ran in a line away from you, it was pretty difficult to land enough bullets to kill.

I noticed there was an aim assist option in the menu, but it honestly didnt seem to do anything at all when I turned it on.

616610-1.png
    The aim assist is a bit too aggressive in it's stickyness. It can actually trap your crosshairs outside of the enemy hitbox in many situations.

As for Halo, I played a lot of that back in the day and it was buuuuullshit. Magnetic bullets wrapping easily around hard cover? No thanks.

edited February 2013
    Yeah, I have zero idea what your referring to when it comes to Halo... but back to DUST.

Maybe aim assist didnt actually exist when I played before and it got turned on at some point? Because I literally couldnt tell the difference between having it on and off when I tried it before.

I do get excited about the premise of this game. And the customability is awesome.

The gameplay didnt stop me from playing, but the fact the game didnt accurately leaderboard isk damage done versus isk lost, as opposed to k/d made me think they didnt know what they were doing. Who cares about k/d in a game when someone can buy a tank for 3000X the amount of isk it cost your infantry man. He should literally go 3000:1 against you, and you should go 1:30000 against him. But in isk ratio, you would break even.

Did they ever change that focus from kills to isk or anything else that would make more sense in this game?

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    They definitely do not know what they are doing, and no.

you can turn aim assist off if it's really bothering you.

and yah. fuck tanks. fuck them right in the ear! you should explode them. teach them a lesson. don't let them get away with that crap.

the trick is, for anything above a militia tank, you HAVE to gang up on it. one guy simply cannot kill even a mid-tier tank with any kind of av weapon in the game at the moment. you could run him off, force him to retreat; but if the guy driving is even half competent he'll escape, rep to full, rinse, repeat.

almost killing the tank 10 times accomplishes nothing, ACTUALLY killing it even once can cost the driver up to 2 million isk. make them pay for that stat padding.

edited February 2013
    Remote mines are effective against mid-tier tanks.
    Drop a 6-pack, bait him into position, and feel smugly superior for the rest of the day.
    I popped a tankful of Imperfects the other day. It was a good feeling.

I imagine it'd be really easy if you were working with a squad. Just have every guy on the squad fit proxies and plant twenty of the things in the road.

Sokpuppet on
    hmm.. i definitely overlook remote mines.

but yah i guess there you go. it's awfully restricted but if you can get enough alpha to kill them it's an option.

and given the raging boner i get when me and my squad kill a madrugar, it must feel amazing to solo one.

edited February 2013
    Played this last night

This originally sounded like normal FPS strategy. But after last night I realize DUST takes this a step further. Its not even B) or C). Its literally just A). Like it doesnt matter if the enemy can get cover, or retaliate, because chances are if the enemy even knows you are there, you will get into a straifing fight where nobody kills each other, until someone else comes in and shoots from an angle where you moving forwards and backwards instead of side to side.

It literally seems best to never, ever engage an enemy who knows you are there and is reacting to you.

And in those cases where this happens, i find its best to just wait for them to reload then try to calmly take them out without straifing. Or switch to an SMG or something and fight them up close where you can spray and pray. But trying to fight AR vs AR with both players dancing around is pretty much a waste of time.

Because of this, team work is a must. Honestly, infantry combat reminds me of dogfighting in jets in like BF3 and the like. One on one, its lame, you pretty much run in circles trying to kill the other guy. But as soon as someone else joins in, killing becomes easier. So if I have an enemy on me, and im fighting him, its a toss up as to who will win, but if im working with team mates, then they will come in from a better angle and flank and take the guy out.

Basically, shooting people is not easy in this game, so you have to play it completely different then any other FPS.

The good news is, in my group of friends who played COD and Halo, we had the 2-3 of us who were really good at shooting faces who really couldnt play with the others who were kinda meh. Because it seems like NOBODY can really shoot eachother in this, and its less about aimimg more about flanking and team work, that gap should be lowered. So some of my friends who werent that great at Halo might be pretty solid at this. Gunna try to get them to try it.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    the bugs are, unless I am mistaken as follows: the scanner does not always pickup on targets it should, the scanner picks up on targets it shouldn't, scan res is not working as it should, suit sig is not working the way it should, terrain which should be affecting scanners isn't, things which should not affect the scanner are (like doors). there are a few others, but I can not remember them all or the events that affect them.

Original Creepy Janitor

that makes it sound like it is randomly picking out what to show you :)

616610-1.png
  • BursegSardaukarBursegSardaukar Registered User regular
    There's a bit more to it than catching someone unawares to win a fight. Fitting out your suit is deadly critical to your performance, as are the skills. If you roll up on a heavy that is maxed out with his tanking skills and armor fits his suit to take advantage of its strengths, you are dead. That being said, a well trained scout could roll up on the same heavy, and if he can stay in tight on him, smashing him with a damage-modded shotgun, you'll tear him up. Also, if a heavily shielded Assault tries being cocky with his assault rifle against a squishy-looking Logistics suit from moderate range, and the Logibro spins around with a damage-modded Laser rifle, that Assault dude is toast.

It's by far the best FPS I've ever played, but being a 7 year EVE player, I come from a background of already understanding the importance of skill specialization and proper fits for PVP. A lot of the flavor-of-the-week FPS fans sort of smash their face into the learning curve, but I make an effort to recruit guys that don't get all the nuances of the MMORPG aspect of the EVE universe each match and hopefully push them in the right direction.

Heavies are awful. Like oh-my-god-why-would-you-even-bother awful. HMGs are hilarible, forge guns are a joke.
    The only legitimate heavy fit is probably sniper. Lets you soak a couple counter-snipe shots or maaaaybe win the inevitable SMG vs. shotgun fight when someone sneaks up on you.

Honestly, from my experience, if you roll up on a heavy that is maxed out with his tanking skills, you can just dance away and he wont kill you any time soon. It is very, very difficult to kill people in this game if they are dodging. MAYBE that changes with a proper KB&M, but it most definitely is that was with ps3 controller. The only time you can reliably land shots on someone is if they are not changing their x axis on your screen much.

They claim there is aim assist, I dont see it at all. This game does not do a very strong job of making up for the lack of percision in console controllers. Which is fine, it promotes flanking and thinking strategically.

My point isnt that the only aspect to the game is sneaking up on folks. Hell, the thing that causes excitement for me is thinking about stuff like running a logi medic with my buddy being a heavy and just standing behind him armor repping him while he tanks. Its combining MMO gameplay with FPS. Or running two tanks remote repping eachother, or higher level gameplay that resembles EVE because you have a logi ship draining the caps off remote repping tanks to give your AT units a window to take one down. That sounds awesome.

But, my point is that if you try to play it like Halo or COD, you arent going to have fun. You can get a jump on two guys and start firing and kill neither because they scatter and lack of sticky aim means you wont be able to kill one before the other turns around and shoots you. In COD, theyd both be dead before they knew you were there. If you see a dude running across the field in the distance, and you stop to get some nice shots on him, chances are you wont kill him, and you being still will cause a sniper to get you, or someone else to come up on your side and kill you before you can start moving again.

Its strange, because in some respects its more like COD but in some its more like halo. Even though individual kill times when it comes to guns is pretty damned quick 4-5 shots with the tac rifle seems to do the job, more like COD or BF, the actual time to kill is longer, like Halo, because of how difficult it is to land all those shots on someone activiely dodging without aim assist.

The promotes Halo style team play, where two guys against one will win more often than not because they can get a good angle of fire to reduce his ability to straif and throw aiming off.

Now, it may just be that for some reason, I suck at aiming in this game despite being a pretty solid shot in others. But since I also find plenty of enemy players unloading entire clips at me and having to reload without killing me, I think its relatively universal and has to do with lack of strong aim assist to make up for console controls.

I suspect KB&M would be pretty OP in this game, but I hate KB&M and dont have a proper setup to try it out.

616610-1.png
    you may also want to tinker with your sensitivity.

i feel like there's not enough acceleration on the right stick, so it's difficult to find a good balance of stable aiming and quick turning. i've tended to favor lower sensitivity for easier aiming.

also, as for scanning: cpp removed all the ACTIVE scanning equipment for infantry. (because they were utterly fucked) could that be what you're thinking of?

One thing that helps is to set your sens so that you just naturally track at roughly the speed people move. 60 is working well for me - lets me keep a laser solidly on a moving target. If you're engaging with a closer range weapon, you'll probably want something a bit higher.

The active scanners are part of it, but not the entire issue, as said by Disrupter, they kinda are just picking at random when you see people, that's both passive and active.

to the Heavy thing, I know a few heavies that are effective with hmg and forge guns. but that's because they have thought about and worked on their fits for the length of the beta. if your running around in a heavy in any of the follow situations your the problem, not the suit: 1 you're alone, 2 you have fit nothing but dmg mods and speed, 3 your trying to kill mercs with a forge or a tank with an hmg, 4 your using a shotgun as a main weapon 5 you fit nothing but plates and shield extenders, 6 you're ALONE, 7 you think you're able to kill anything because you're in a heavy suit, 8 you're using a sniper rifle.

look in some situations most of that happens dispite your best efforts, but a heavy suit is not what you should be sniping with, your shouldn't be doing AV with a scout suit, and you shouldn't be trying to logibro with an assualt suit. these are basics.

Yes in most situations I can kill a heavy 1 on 1 in my logi suit using a toxin smg. But that's because the heavy has gone off by himself and I'm flanking him. if he was with his squad and had support I'd be screwed. However, I can say that about any suit. if your by yourself your gonna die, and that's as it should be. We may be immortal but we are not rambo. This is a team based game, act as a team and win, don't and your probably gonna lose, unless the other team is doing worse.

Original Creepy Janitor

edited February 2013
    No, heavies have no merit in a squad. This isn't TF2. The medic isn't about to uber you.

Scout suits are the only thing you should be doing AV with. A heavy with a forge gun is far, far, FAR too slow to maintain good lines of sight on a tank. Scout suit with swarm launcher is how it's done.

Honestly, the squad tactics that are currently being employed by people in this game don't work. Or rather, they work only because 99.99% of the player base consists of straight newbs. Most of these people have no idea how to properly fit a dropsuit, no idea how use cover, no idea what to do once they're in game at all. As we saw earlier in this very thread, even experienced FPS veterans need to do some adjusting. but people are going to learn, eventually. TF2 tactics don't work - there's no cart to push, no main lane to fight over. LAV and HAV abuse don't work without total team support, and you're never getting that from pubs.

What works is called "infantry minor tactics" in the real world. The first time you see an Australian Peel in Dust, it'll blow your mind.

Sokpuppet on
    I dunno maybe your referring to some high level play but the most success I have is with a forge gun and smg on heavy

Just make sure I don't get flanked and I can kill almost anything

But the radar is totally messed up. I was staring at a heavy who walked at me shooting and he wasn't on my radar, how is that possible?

616610-1.png
    as explained before, it's bugged.

and Sok not sure what matches you playing, or who your running with, but I suspect that is causing an issue. Pub matches are pub matches, they are not where this game is going, or at all decent for anything other than testing for new bugs.

Get in a corp match vs the imperfects, or PRO, or WTF, then come back and tell me squad tactics and matched squads on a balanced team are not effective.

Original Creepy Janitor

Are you sure? I thought pub matches represented what high sec gameplay will be like

Which will probably be where a majority pf players play...

616610-1.png
    edited February 2013
    rucdoc wrote: »
    as explained before, it's bugged.

and Sok not sure what matches you playing, or who your running with, but I suspect that is causing an issue. Pub matches are pub matches, they are not where this game is going, or at all decent for anything other than testing for new bugs.

Get in a corp match vs the imperfects, or PRO, or WTF, then come back and tell me squad tactics and matched squads on a balanced team are not effective.

You're misunderstanding completely.
    I'm not having any problems at all, and neither are the people I play with.
    I'm just trying to pass along some knowledge, but never mind.

Edit: also, I've been testing extensively for weeks. Radar isn't bugged. It's working as intended - you need to put points in radar skills, or your radar sucks. The most important attribute for picking up hostiles is Scan Precision. With a few levels of Profile Analysis and a Precision Enhancer you won't see any more "randomness" in what you pick up and what you don't.

Look, I'm not sure what game you're playing, but you've been entirely wrong about nearly everything you've posted. No offense intended.

Sokpuppet on
    Have we got a corp for this yet?
    Perhaps Merch Mercenaries?
    Or a Goon corp?

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I have to say it is absolutely fascinating to read this progression commented. It's like seeing ancient EVE history played out all over again.

Sokpuppet, it's not "working as intended" I have spoken with the dev who is responsible for the radar system and he says it's broken, not doing what they want so they are going to completely redo it. and I haven't been testing for a few weeks, I have been testing Dust since it's first build.

look, you want a real convo, look me up in the #dust514 channel on irc.coldfront.net

Original Creepy Janitor

Look, theres almost zero chance its working as intended. Or if it is, what they intend is bad and unituitive. There is no way a heavy, a few feet from me, should be able to unload his HMG at me as I face him and not show up on my radar. I would assume given the limited info i have about how its supposed to work, that heavies would give off a big signature with their suit, and firing an HMG would give off an even bigger one...

That being said, I started getting some buddies to play this finally. Played with two friends last night, one at a time, not together. Was still way more fun.

Also, it may be because I discovered kneeling helps your aim a ridiculous amount, or it may just be that im getting used to it, but I find the aim to be less and less of a fight. It still doesnt feel as tight as COD or Halo, but I am reasonably able to kill dudes without feeling like I need to kill them when they arent remotely paying attention.

Also, how come everyone doesnt throw down an uplink to start every match? Those things are god sends.

But yeah, both my buddies came away impressed. It may be due to me un-hyping this game by talking about how fun the concepts are, but how shitty the gameplay is. And when the concepts lived up to coolness and the gameplay felt a lot more like BF3 than the shit hole I was describing, they seemed pretty interested.

Game needs gun customization though. Iron sights are the worst.

616610-1.png
    edited February 2013
    Basic radar range is 15 meters in the forward cone, this shortens as you rotate away from zero degrees, down to about 2-5 meters at 180 degrees (behind you). There's also some delay between when a target becomes "available" to your radar and when it shows up on your screen. This delay is related, again, to scan precision/sig radius: some targets won't show up for a while if your scan precision isn't high enough. If you haven't put any points into Profile Analysis, usually everything and everyone fits into this category. Don't believe me? Test for yourself by setting up a fit with 2x Militia Precision Enhancer and 2x Militia Range Amplifier. See if you ever miss a hostile again.

Almost everything about the game is clunky and unintuitive due to what the devs intend. Why should radar be any different? :lol:
    I certainly won't be sad if it gets re-tooled into a more interesting system, but over the last year I've watched the devs make almost nothing but bad design decisions. The game is arguably worse now than it was in the 3rd build.

Iron sights are one example of this, in fact.
    Several of the gun types which now use iron sights used to have a dot reticle when zoomed. The devs thought it was too easy to shoot people, or something. But hey, we've only had dot sights since the 1970's - can't expect immortal space warriors from the future to come up with something as advanced as a lens facing a bit of optical fiber.

Sokpuppet on