As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Destiny (2014): It Looks Pretty Neat

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    jeff talking about the event makes it seem like they were going to be showing more but that was pulled back for some reason

who knows

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I agree with Dichotomy that this could easily end up being another Brink or APB.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    I agree with Dichotomy that this could easily end up being another Brink or APB.

Eh, maybe. I would disagree though because this is a proven studio with a powerful publisher.

jkZziGc.png
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    jeff talking about the event makes it seem like they were going to be showing more but that was pulled back for some reason

who knows

They've had this happen to them several times already, so it's not unheard of to happen again. They must have a really tight pr schedule. GDC stuff next month and then the buildup to E3 + new consoles.

jkZziGc.png
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Bungie hasnt done me wrong before, and I expect the same success with this

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    Druhim wrote: »

ehhhhhh i think bungie is putting a whole lot on this next project, which seems really ambitious and risky

but at the end of the day they are bungie, so i don't see this flopping like brink did

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    this seems pretty cool, like the setup.

we'll see how good the gameplay is though

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
    It's interesting that Jeff said some of the people he talked to at Bungie were surprised he hadn't been shown the game. So it is conceivable we might see Sony reveal gameplay at their Wednesday conference.

jkZziGc.png
  • JerkbotJerkbot some kind of hypnotist Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    you know, for all the talk about never trusting anyone to deliver a good game and never buying into hype
    fuck it
    if it's bungie or valve, 'i'm going to buy it' is my default state
    I think two teams out of the entire industry is a reasonable number to trust by default without ever getting screwed too badly.

Jerkbot on
    VyQGM.jpg
  • GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Hrrmm

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    yeah I completely understand the SHOW THE GAME stuff because, I mean, they need to show the game (and I'm sure they will) but some of these ideas sound really interesting, these mechanics are already kind of springing up all over the place, and bungie has a really solid track record in regards to presentation and gameplay

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    sounds like even the press didn't see anything

XMa5HYT.png

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    no real surprise that activision has an absurdly tight PR plan for this

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    now pay attention to the powerpoint, material from this lecture will be on the test

0BnD8l3.gif
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    if this is going to be a loot game, i would kinda rather it be third person. i like being able to see my cool shit. Hearing the town is in 3rd person is good though.

stick with what you know i guess.

Dichotomy wrote: »
    now pay attention to the powerpoint, material from this lecture will be on the test

Sir, will this be a take-home examination or open-book test?

• GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Donate, and we will kill you last.
    http://solidsaints.com/pools

will the powerpoint be uploaded online for us to study with?

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Adam Sessler ‏@AdamSessler
    So, went to see "Destiny" Didn't see it, was told about it being awesome. Embargo lifts along with pre-orders. I need to take a shower.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »

will the powerpoint be uploaded online for us to study with?

hahahahaha yeah right

0BnD8l3.gif
    dammit when are professors gonna learn to use the online system fucking university i'm dropping out

who the fuck takes notes anymore? do they think it's 1993 still?

hey asshole why don't you post any of the grades online god DAMMIT

My parents didn't pay good money so you could teach like it's the fucking stone age!

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    The lack of substantial gameplay stuff is

Odd

But I'm a fan of Bungie's previous works, so I trust them not to screw it up.

i am waiting until the press has access to playable demos before i even attempt to get hype.

though the idea of being a space wizard with space fireballs in space armour is hitting pretty much all the right space places.

Here's hoping that Destiny gets shown on Wednesday.

jkZziGc.png
    If we see something amazing on Wednesday that makes me completely change my tone about this whole affair, that will be a great birthday present.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    Pretty skeptical about all this business. I couldn't ever get into the Halo games, and all the rumors about this game seem to revolve around stuff that hasn't historically been Bungie's wheelhouse (persistant multiplayer world, etc) but I'm also really excited. That's some gorgeous concept art and I'll be cold in my grave the day exceptionally pretty concept art doesn't get me more excited about a video game than literally everything else.

bungie revolutionized console multiplayer with Halo 2

so I think that yes, super ambitious multiplayer content for consoles is directly in their wheelhouse

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    what time is the sony thing on wednesday

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    6 PM Eastern it seems.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    well, I'll be off work

as long as they're still using the dual shock I'm going to be more interested in what microsoft puts out, though

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Its weird that the press didn't see gameplay

but at the same time I don't get why everyone else was expecting to see it

I can't really remember any game reveals that actually showed gameplay

• SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    I think saying this could be a Brink or an APB is a little bit too harsh- Bungie has proved that it knows how to make a game that is fun to actually play and has mechanics that make sense and are fun to use, and have done it much more than Splash Damage or whoever the fuck made APB did before those games.
    I think a more accurate analogy is that it could still totally be a Mass Effect 3 or Diablo III, that weird mixture of being a really good game and commercially successful while also being hugely disappointing in some way or another

but that all said i am officially very hype for this and will play it until i throw up
    dat concept art, etc etc

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    as with everything else, showing is stronger than telling

compare this reveal to, say, Watch Dogs

PNk1Ml4.png
    i got used to the dual shock 2 back int he ps2 days, depending on stuff i could see picking up a ps4 over the new xbox.

really depends on features offered. if both of them are in the pay for multiplayer racket though, man, that'll be a tough choice.

the pictures of the controller actually looks like a pretty big improvement from the dual shock

it needs to be because fuck da dual shock

• SnorkSnork word Jamaica Plain, MARegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    as with everything else, showing is stronger than telling

compare this reveal to, say, Watch Dogs
    yeah this is very true

But while the Watch Dogs reveal demo was very "buzz"-y

I still have no fucking idea what the game is even supposed to be or how that multiplayer stuff will work

I already know way more about Destiny than I do about Watch Dogs

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]