As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Destiny - A MMOish non-MMO MMO

• Options
    jerichotwofourjerichotwofour The artist formally known as S043. Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Why would they work on it for the past four years and it not be released on consoles that already have install bases?

jerichotwofour on
    PSN: ZeroFourThree (PS3, PS4) | XBL: JerichoTwoFour (360, XB1)
  • Options
    YnuuYnuu Registered User regular
    Ah, okay. I wasn't sure, just had some vague doubt in the back of my head about the site.

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Two random thoughts:

Since Destiny is always online, it stands to reason that player info and save is server-side. I could see Destiny (base game) getting a re-release on next-gen, with better graphics plus additives. Hyphens.

Secondly, I'll eat the oppressive xbox live fee and advertising to not have to play a shooter with the PS3 controller.

Why would it re-release on next gen when it's going to release release on next gen? It's coming to next gen. that's the entire funny wink wink ha ha undertone of the tech conversation. Here's the "announced platform list", and some screen shots from current gen tech, oh yeah and a couple of interspersed shots from tech that can't be this gen, but noooo we have no clue about those 'next gen consoles' *wink*

Re-release as in shoot it out this year for current gen, and then throw a launchday edition out for next-gen (barring next-gen consoles hitting this year, which may happen).

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Why would they work on it for the past four years and it not be released on consoles that already have install bases?

It will be for both. I have no doubt they are serious about 360/PS3, but the nudge nudge wink wink is that it will be next gen right out the gate as well. Obviously the next gen consoles will offer the "optimal" experience.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Kinda hoping it isn't next-gen if just to save 4-500+ dollars. I don't want a Vita repeat where I ended up getting a new system just to play Persona 4 Golden.

Also I kinda doubt we'll get more info on Wednesday, feel like Sony would need more first party titles to showcase the PS4/Orbis/whatever. Seems more like something they'd devout more time to at E3.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2013

While I'm not saying anything as to what's its being released on.

Games change development platforms all the time, especially when their development runs over into next gen.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Saying nobody wants kbam is an overstatement but they absolutely changed the majority to wanting to play on their couch on a tv in comfort rather than at a desk somewhere

Please, define majority. Please provide any real data you have also.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Two random thoughts:

Since Destiny is always online, it stands to reason that player info and save is server-side. I could see Destiny (base game) getting a re-release on next-gen, with better graphics plus additives. Hyphens.

Secondly, I'll eat the oppressive xbox live fee and advertising to not have to play a shooter with the PS3 controller.

Why would it re-release on next gen when it's going to release release on next gen? It's coming to next gen. that's the entire funny wink wink ha ha undertone of the tech conversation. Here's the "announced platform list", and some screen shots from current gen tech, oh yeah and a couple of interspersed shots from tech that can't be this gen, but noooo we have no clue about those 'next gen consoles' *wink*

Re-release as in shoot it out this year for current gen, and then throw a launchday edition out for next-gen (barring next-gen consoles hitting this year, which may happen).

It's going to be both gens, right out the gate. This came isn't hitting until 2014. Activision already gave their earnings outlook to investors, and they flatly stated they expect no income from Bungie this year. We'll have both next gen consoles by Christmas.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Saying nobody wants kbam is an overstatement but they absolutely changed the majority to wanting to play on their couch on a tv in comfort rather than at a desk somewhere

I hate playing on kbam and I hate that certain games are ruined by it on ps3(see Dust) so I am glad bungie views it as a thing if the past. I don't have to worry that it will ever potentially ruin one of their games

A witch! Burn it!

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2013
    Staying console only also means they don't step on World of Warcraft's (and presumably Titan's) toes.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    More like won't step on Titan's toes, which many have speculated would be a game much like Destiny is being portrayed...though we have no serious info on Titan.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Kinda hoping it isn't next-gen if just to save 4-500+ dollars. I don't want a Vita repeat where I ended up getting a new system just to play Persona 4 Golden.

dammit beeb

• Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    Will there be a "Dammit Beeb" emote?

Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Screw people who say desks aren't comfortable. They are really comfortable if you don't have a shitty chair and shitty posture.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    If we have that "comfy chair" argument here...I will seriously reach through the internet and hurt someone.

• Options
    Yes, lets not please. So far all we know is it's console only, for now. We've gotten the whole KBAM thing out of our system, so yeah, Destiny!

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Will I be able to be a dude with a revolver able to set another dude on fire with my brain? Because that would be pretty goddamn rad.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Yeah. I'm really interested in the class system.

It seems like that means it won't be a straight up shooter. Probably end up being a magic-using class myself.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, it was made pretty clear the Warlock would have "magicy" powers. Apparently the Traveler gives you powers. So I would imagine we'll see various standard MMO fare, with a shooter twist. I hope all magic has to be aimed, just like a gun.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    As far as "aiming magic" goes.

I think Dishonored had a pretty decent system.

• Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    I play console games from my computer desk :D

Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I'd be cool with another ME2/ME3 type shooter/RPG hybrid kinda thing.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Looks interesting, I guess. You have to feel sorry for all of the media guys who flew out to Seattle just be shown some concept art and hear some vague descriptions of the game, though. This isn't much as far as reveal events go.

Edit: Seems really stupid to build that new city right underneath a big death star thing that could come crashing down at any moment. What do you want to bet happens in the series' "dark middle chapter?"

Darlan on
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The gamepad wasn't what made people start playing FPS games on consoles. Consoles being very popular was what led them to playing FPS games on consoles with gamepads. People played FPS games on freaking N64 controllers. It is the same reason almost every genre became more popular on consoles. More people were playing midcore/hardcore/whatever the fuck you want to call that type of game games on consoles in general for various reasons so developers moved there because that was where the money was, regardless of whether the controls were better. Halo was a result of this rather than a cause of the general move towards consoles.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    Destiny sounds interesting, and I trust Bungie, but some gameplay would be nice, and the multiplayer stuff doesn't excite me all that much.

• Options
    edited February 2013
    Couscous wrote: »
    The gamepad wasn't what made people start playing FPS games on consoles. Consoles being very popular was what led them to playing FPS games on consoles with gamepads. People played FPS games on freaking N64 controllers.

As a huge fan of both Goldeneye/Perfect Dark and Halo.. believe me, it's still annoys the fuck out of me when Halo is presented as the first successful console FPS.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Seems kind of insane to me to launch a product like this so late in a console cycle, supporting four separate platforms simultaneously with half of them straddling a generational gap.

• Options
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Seems kind of insane to me to launch a product like this so late in a console cycle, supporting four separate platforms simultaneously with half of them straddling a generational gap.

77 million 360s
    77 million PS3s

Kind of insane to ignore that massive install base

• Options
    Honestly, the only thing I'm thinking about is there talking about a 10 year plan.

So are they going to keep supporting the game on the 360/PS3 well after the systems have stopped being produced? Or are they going to expect people to upgrade?

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    I have no doubt they are reaching for as much money as possible. I guess my point was it's going to be a complete nightmare for Bungie to actually support this game. And I will be shocked if when the game launches either the current-gen or next-gen versions aren't regarded as hamstrung for the sake of the other gen.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

Especially something like this with an absolutely integral online component. Can I fire up my PS4 and play with my buddies on their PS3? I would guess no! It's bad enough the way communities are segregated already, seems kinda ridiculous how fragmented things would get if they were really splitting this game up across 4 (5 if you count PC) platforms.

• Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    FyreWulff wrote: »

77 million 360s
    77 million PS3s

Kind of insane to ignore that massive install base
    Plus, there will probably be a non-negligible amount of people who buy the first entry on their current gen system first, and then buy it again later on when they get their PS4/Xbox 3.

Edit: Assuming it's not F2P, that is.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Honestly, the only thing I'm thinking about is there talking about a 10 year plan.

So are they going to keep supporting the game on the 360/PS3 well after the systems have stopped being produced? Or are they going to expect people to upgrade?

I mean, they haven't said, but if I had to guess, the first game and it's 'expansion' (they talked about the games having expansions) will be cross-gen. After that they'll expect people to upgrade.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    What are the chances of CoD : MW 4 and Destiny being shown in the PS4 event?

Sony must have realized that they need Activision on board by now.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    I'm digging the concept art alot. I hope they do end up having a PC release, otherwise I'll never get to play it. :(

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    My big question is how the fuck is Bungie gonna pay for all this? Microtransactions?

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    My big question is how the fuck is Bungie gonna pay for all this? Microtransactions?

Game is already confirmed to not have microtransactions.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Map packs I guess.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Probably the same way that Guild Wars works. Frequent expansion packs keep the money flowing.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    It's not a free to play game. $60 for a box seems plenty enough payment.

This discussion has been closed.