As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Destiny - A MMOish non-MMO MMO

• eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Its possible Microsoft and/or Sony threw money at Bungie to have them release it on current gen consoles.

Given that at one point anyways, they planned some sort of annual release for this franchise, whether its a full sequel or expansion. If they stick with that but only put the first product on current-gen consoles and the rest are all next-gen. Assuming the game is as big as you would expect from Bungie in terms of sales and cultural penetration, this could sell a lot of next-gen consoles to people that feel they have to keep playing. Making it an MMOesque format, it then becomes not just about continuing the story but also the desire many have to want to keep up with other players. I have no numbers to back it up, but its probably safe to guess that games that are heavily online focused have more frontloaded sales figures because of that.

(She/Her)
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    So everyone is their own Commander Shepard flying around an FPS Eve Online in the wake of a Reaper invasion?

I can dig it.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    My big question is how the fuck is Bungie gonna pay for all this? Microtransactions?

It's not a free game, you know. You have to buy it, not mention the expansion packs. I don't think it's exactly an MMO, either, and it wouldn't be the first game to have some level of online persistence.

Edit: I was beaten several posts ago. Mike's post just made me scratch my head for a bit.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    I guess I'm just not seeing the big picture here. Sure, everyone's going to be buying the $60 game and the expansions, but isn't Bungie going to be pushing content for this constantly, the way you'd see WoW having content patches? I am obviously a layman in developing console games, but it seems like the $60-a-pop revenue stream doesn't match with the kind of work involved in keeping something like WoW or Guild Wars running.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I guess I'm just not seeing the big picture here. Sure, everyone's going to be buying the $60 game and the expansions, but isn't Bungie going to be pushing content for this constantly, the way you'd see WoW having content patches? I am obviously a layman in developing console games, but it seems like the $60-a-pop revenue stream doesn't match with the kind of work involved in keeping something like WoW or Guild Wars running.

Are they gonna be pushing content for free?

I got the impression new stuff was gonna be sold as expansions/DLC.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Well...like someone has said.

Guild Wars pretty much only does the expansion thing and they seem to get along well enough.

That said I'm sure there will be microtranscations here and there.

• AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

I think you're misreading the "support for 10 years" comment as them supporting this one single game for 10 years. It's a new franchise, what they mean is they'll have a yearly (or close to it) 60 dollar game.release + expansions for each for the next 10 years (or beyond). Each set in and around the universe they're creating.

I firmly believe everyone to be completely sick of this by year 4.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I don't get how folks are whining about playing a fps on a console in a reveal for a game made by the guys who made HALO

Myth, Marathon, and Oni would like a word. Edit: I forgot about Abuse.

[oldschoolbungiefanhat]
    Technically they only published & beefed-up/improved the Mac version of Abuse. The game itself was made by Crack dot Com.
    [/oldschoolbungiefanhat]

I had no idea there was a iOS version, though.

So yeah, it sounds cool, and it sounds like it's platform agnostic, so I'm betting if they're going to announce a computer version they'll do it with the next-gen ones. (Since the computer versions would probably be sharing a asset base with them.)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    So Destiny seems to be some kind of Borderlands/Guild Wars/Halo hybrid.

I approve.

• Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Darlan wrote: »

Edit: Seems really stupid to build that new city right underneath a big death star thing that could come crashing down at any moment. What do you want to bet happens in the series' "dark middle chapter?"
    It seems its more "build our city underneath the only thing that stopped hostile aliens from murdering everyone" which is understandable.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I'm hoping for more elderscrolls comparisons! I want a halo/guild wars/borderlands/elderscrolls!

Imagine a elderscrolls game where the faction you join us sp allows you to fight for areas of control online in competetive multi. Then depending on which faction owns the area online that's who owns it in your game. And if your faction is getting its ass kicked, it's base will be crap, it's members depressed and the world will view it poorly. But if your winning, opposite!

This is the fantasy concept I had for Destiny without knowing anything

616610-1.png
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Well if you look at some of those outdoor in-engine shots, and you extrapolate that with Bungie saying that most of it can be explored...one gets a Skyrimy vibe. Not sure about all the faction stuff.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Also...imagine...a MMO-ish game with a PvP that might actually be good.

edited February 2013
    I kept getting a Phantasy Star Online vibe from it, actually, instead of Guild Wars. It seems like you can form a group of up to six players to go through the story quests or PvE and PvP modes. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a hub like in Phantasy Star Online, too. The menu screenshot has an icon labeled "Home".

Dashui on
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »

I think you're misreading the "support for 10 years" comment as them supporting this one single game for 10 years. It's a new franchise, what they mean is they'll have a yearly (or close to it) 60 dollar game.release + expansions for each for the next 10 years (or beyond). Each set in and around the universe they're creating.

Ohhhh, okay, that makes much more sense now.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
    Dashui wrote: »
    I kept getting a Phantasy Star Online vibe from it, actually, instead of Guild Wars. It seems like you can form a group of up to six players to go through the story quests or PvE and PvP modes. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a hub like in Phantasy Star Online, too. The menu screenshot has an icon labeled "Home".

Basically yes. The 'tower', and the city under The Traveler, are the hub, according to what I've heard and read. But I believe the outdoor areas are going to be much more wide open than PSO.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    I kept getting a Phantasy Star Online vibe from it, actually, instead of Guild Wars. It seems like yohttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCodeu can form a group of up to six players to go through the story quests or PvE and PvP modes. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a hub like in Phantasy Star Online, too. The menu screenshot has an icon labeled "Home".

That sounds ... exactly like GW.

What? No. Phantasy Star Online and Guild Wars 2 play a heck of a lot differently.

edited February 2013
    But PSO and Guild Wars 1 are very similar. The first Guild Wars is fundamentally different than the second one.

GnomeTank on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Never played Halo, but this sounds pretty great. Will probably wait until next gen before I hop on board.

Feel bad for the press though, getting drug out to see a bunch of concept art is kind of shitty.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    I've never liked Halo's combat. I'm interested in the magic. I hope a spell is not the same as a flashbang.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular

A yearly 60 dollar game? You're nuts and, I think, overestimating what an expansion would entail.

jkZziGc.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Seems kind of insane to me to launch a product like this so late in a console cycle, supporting four separate platforms simultaneously with half of them straddling a generational gap.

Especially something like this with an absolutely integral online component. Can I fire up my PS4 and play with my buddies on their PS3? I would guess no! It's bad enough the way communities are segregated already, seems kinda ridiculous how fragmented things would get if they were really splitting this game up across 4 (5 if you count PC) platforms.

Whether or not 360/720 and PS3/PS4 players will be able to play together will have more to do with MS and Sony's next-gen online architecture decisions than Bungie, I think. With the always online requirement, it's likely that all your character info is going to be stored Bungie-side, which should mean that going from current to next-gen with the same character will be as easy as logging in on the new console.

• Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »

A yearly 60 dollar game? You're nuts and, I think, overestimating what an expansion would entail.

I think the Bungie-Activision deal that leaked recently said that they planned to have a full game release in 2013, an expansion pack in 2014, a full game in 2015, expansion pack in 2016, full game in 2017 and so on for 10 years. I think...

• HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Looks cool so far... hopefully they can integrate 'magic' into an FPS-style shooter without making guns completely pointless.

1Gn4PNI.png
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I really like the idea of earth after the alien invasion. So many stories end right after the invasion is repelled. The idea of earth after losing the war is really interesting.

Given that you make your own character, I'm interested to see how they'll implement that over the course of several games. Will you be making a new character for every game? Or will you carry it over straight from game to game? Or will you just carry the name and look over and start over from scratch?

Given that you make your own character, I'm interested to see how they'll implement that over the course of several games. Will you be making a new character for every game? Or will you carry it over straight from game to game? Or will you just carry the name and look over and start over from scratch?

It would certainly be something to see, having a persistent character you've created carry over through a decade of games. That must be just what Bungie is going for - five years from now you'll run into someone in-game and be like "holy shit I heard about the crazy thing this guy did last year".

• LorkLork Registered User regular
    If that's how they do it, it's even more important that they get cross platform compatibility right. I don't want my character to be locked into a console when Destiny 2: Finish the Fight come out with a proper PC version.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    TwitchTV and Neogaf both already have ads running for Destiny, crazy shit

Giantbomb.com is decked out in a destiny skin too.

I just... I want more specific details. Some gameplay footage. They'd better give us some more to go on this week, I can't stay excited forever over what we've gotten so far.

• bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Giantbomb.com is decked out in a destiny skin too.

That just part of the new website all the game pages now have a huge header for its own game, I assume the front page will change with whatever their big thing is.

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2013
    shryke wrote: »

AFIAK we are going to be buying entire planets at a time as DLC.

So say we can go to Earth, Mars, and Venus in the initial game, they'll release Jupiter and if you want to go there, you'll have to buy it. They have teams divvied out that focus on specific planets.

FyreWulff on
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    FyreWulff wrote: »

So say we can go to Earth, Mars, and Venus in the initial game, they'll release Jupiter and if you want to go there, you'll have to buy it. They have teams divvied out that focus on specific planets.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular

I am standing up and clapping slowly at this post

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2013

That's not what my last client said
    Contracting work for NASA

FyreWulff on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I'm obviously keen to actually see the game in action, but what I read about it on Eurogamer yesterday has made me excited. So far, this sounds brilliant.

forumsig.png
    There are only a few companies I give enough benefit of the doubt to, to get excited/hype about a game I only have a smattering of details about. Bungie is one of those companies.

So I have tempered excitement right now. I'm also part of the "I think Sony is going to show Destiny off on Wednesday" club, so we may not have to wait forever to get some better footage.

Solid Saints is over so I needed a new sig quote, and @Sagroth is it. One of those few quotes that is funny with and without context. Well played sir.

This discussion has been closed.