As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tips for the student/budget/novice cook

FlayFlay Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm on the hunt for good recipe books for someone who has limited experience with cooking / is cooking a limited budget / regularly needs to prepare meals fit for only one or two diners. The problem is, I really don't have any idea what to look for...

So, I thought I'd start off this thread to share recommendations for good cookbooks you may happen to own or have heard of. While I hope this'll come in handy for several people, I'm particularly keeping an eye out for books with good sections on cooking simple vegetarian meals (particularly those involving beans and lentils), but not purely on that subject.

So, fire away!

Flay on

• Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm a big fan of "How to |Cook Everything" by Bittman. As the name implies, there's a great deal of variety, simple stuff as well as more elaborate meals, along with lots and lots and LOTS of information and advice.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    cyphrcyphr Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's a reason the Better Homes & Gardens New Cookbook is considered a classic. Do yourself a favor and get one, and, as Amazon says (I am totally going to shill right here):

"Discover why every kitchen worth its salt has a flour-dusted, bouillon-stained, batter-encrusted and whisk-maimed copy."

cyphr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Working as I do at a Borders, I can tell you that there is a whole subsection of the cookbook section devoted to this topic. I honestly can't tell you which ones are good, but there should be more than a few of them.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Leading your friend to a good set of internet recipe websites is probably the cookbook that'll keep on giving.

devoir on
  • Options
    ZifnabZifnab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I just picked up The Cook's Encyclopedia of Four Ingredient Cooking and Going Solo in the Kitchen, and they're both pretty good. Four Ingredient Cooking is a little less useful, since it has some odd things (four ingredient duck in plum sauce?), but it's a great way to get a good idea of what things are made of and what they taste like at a very basic level. Going Solo tackles planning, buying, cooking, and reproportioning for one or two people. I've found it great because I do a lot of cooking just for me, and every time I look up a recipe online it serves some ungodly number of people, and it's hard to cut down a 7-person recipe to one person, and I don't really want to make 7 people worth of food and eat it for a week sometimes. Personally, I'd suggest that you get him one of those.

Zifnab on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    "I'm Just Here For the Food" by Alton Brown - great recipes, plus food science and theory to let you know why food works the way it works. It's like the Joy of Cooking but easier to read and with cool diagrams.

Plus it comes with refrigerator magnets.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Butterfly4uButterfly4u Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Pretty much any vintage (1950-1980) Better Homes And Garden cookbook is a good place to start. You can find them for super cheap at Alibris.com, Amazon, ebay, Barnesandnoble.com, and garage sales. They have any catergory of cooking you can imagine. If you want to drop $50 you can get the new Better Homes and Garden Cookbook, but there are also cookbooks at the bookstores that have specificly three or four ingredients in all the recipes. Vegetarian recipes can get very complicated though. Try www.recipegoldmine.com or just search online for veggie recipe sites. Good luck with cooking!

Butterfly4u on
    Butterfly
  • Options
    DiscGraceDiscGrace Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As much as I hate Rachel Ray's TV show (and personality), her "30 Minute Meals" cookbook is actually really easy and generally quite delicious. :^:

DiscGrace on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Leading your friend to a good set of internet recipe websites is probably the cookbook that'll keep on giving.

That's what I'd go with, I have a couple of basic cookbooks for some chinese food and such, but really I just keep a collection of printed out recipes that I really like and are easy enough to make. If you're really looking for a cookbook, I'd go with The Starving Student's cookbook--it has nutritious stuff, while keeping it cheap, quick and easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Starving-Students-Cookbook-Dede-Hall/dp/0446679615

MotherFirefly on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh, a good start for recipe websites is www.cookingforengineers.com

KalTorak on
  • Options
    phamtqphamtq Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't have a book but I can impart some cooking knowledge that I've accumulated through the years.

Cooking is about following directions, timing. and heat. Read through a recipe first before doing anything. You need to be able to see where you're going and how things end up. It worked for me during O Chem lab and surprisingly works in the kitchen.

Remember to take out all the things you're going to need: the ingredients, tools, bowls, etc... and start chopping and preparing the food. You want to get this all done BEFORE you turn on the stove. That way, when it comes time to cook, all you do is dump the ingredients.

The last thing to remember is that your stove has more than one setting. Rarely do you keep things on HIGH through the whole thing. I usually cook on high for a few second to sear the meat then turn down the temp to medium and let it sit and cook.

If you're cooking something like spaghetti, do the noodle first. Water takes awhile to boil and then it takes time to cook the noodles. During that time you could be prepping the meat and vegetables.

phamtq on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Also, I saw this on Time's top websites: www.chow.com

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm a big fan of recipesource.com It's searchable and has Tons of stuff. It may not be the most basic source, but it's a good one.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    "I'm Just Here For the Food" by Alton Brown - great recipes, plus food science and theory to let you know why food works the way it works. It's like the Joy of Cooking but easier to read and with cool diagrams.

I didn't get any magnets :(

I'll second the recommendation, as the book is quite good. It's not a cookbook, but a book about cooking.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    NealocusNealocus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I just saw http://www.amazon.com/101-Things-Do-Ramen-Noodles/dp/1586857355
    this book on Amazon. Can't wait to try it when I get to college! Hope this kinda helps.

Nealocus on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My first cookbook was the Betty Crocker Cookbook. It teaches the basics, like pancakes, banana bread, burgers, etc.

My second primary cookbook was Joy of Cooking. Excellent, with a good mix of fancy dishes with very easy reasonable ones (the fettuccine alfredo recipe is what sold me on the book due to its ease and low ingredient count).

I would also recommend Cooking Network's "How to Boil Water" as a good primer into cooking.

If you decide to get into baking, get Baking Illustrated.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Oh yeah, the reason I'm looking for books that are particularly good for instructing one how to cook lentils/beans is because the person I'm buying the book for (it's not for me, but looking at these suggestions there's a couple of books I wouldn't mind picking up) is looking for meals that are high in protein, though don't necessarily contain meat.

Oh, and d'you think I should change the title of the tread to something broader, like 'tips for the student/budget/novice cook'?

EDIT: Yeah, I think I'll do just that.

Flay on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Also, note, there's a new updated anniversary version of joy of cooking. sweet.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Well, I had planned on picking up a copy of 'how to cook everything', but it seems only the hardcover version was available, and the $42+ (AUS dollars, remember) price-tag was a bit high for my budget. So I ended up picking up something with 'four ingredients' in the title (I can't actually remember what it was called) because of its simplicity, and a random $5 vegetarian cookbook because it had a section on protein. Oh, and a bit of fudge as well. :P

Continue to post any handy tips or links you might have though. I'm trying to get in to cooking a bit more, but I really don't have much experience in the kitchen. :|

Flay on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    "How to Boil an Egg" is a good cookbook for the inexperienced because it explains everything in detail and has recipes for one or two people. It covers a lot of basic, simple meals and a couple fancier ones.

LadyM on
  • Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Better Homes and Gardens and Joy of Cooking are classics, maybe you can grab one for them later.

For simple vegetarian stuff, check out http://govegan.net/ (I have La Dolce Vegan!, it's pretty good). I'm trying to find a "college" veg cookbook that I have, but to no avail. If your friend wants protein, perhaps a book specializing in tofu would be useful. Also, nutritional yeast is something they should totally pick up from the store.

edit: I know you said vegetarian, not vegan, but I don't really differentiate between the two when it comes to recipes. Those vegan cookbooks will usually say something like "egg substitute equalling two eggs," so it's not hard to do either way.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    PirateJonPirateJon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

I didn't get any magnets :(

I'll second the recommendation, as the book is quite good. It's not a cookbook, but a book about cooking.

For a book about cooking, this and the follow up about baking (i'm just here for more food) are godly. Everything from how to use a knife to what pans you need.

For a cook book - ie a book of recipes - Get cooks illustrated's "New Best Recipe". That mag is aslo wonderful if you're an aspiring foodie. http://www.cooksillustrated.com/bookstore_detail.asp?PID=265

PirateJon on
    all perfectionists are mediocre in their own eyes