As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic the Hedgehog: The Ultimate Date Movie

AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
edited June 2019 in Games and Technology
htIrB87.gif

News:

October 29th - Lost World Launch Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZRm0ndfuUY

October 1st - Sonic returns to Super Smash Bros.

May 28th - Sonic: Lost World has a trailer now

May 17th - Sonic: Lost World has been announced on a Nintendo Direct as a WiiU and 3DS exclusive title (First Screenshot here). Along with another Mario & Sonic Olympic title, this makes up a deal for three exclusive Sonic games on Nintendo hardware. Sega Press Release

May 15th - The remastered version of Sonic 1 using the Retro Engine has been released on mobile platforms. Tails and Knuckles are even playable this time around. No Way? Yes Way!

March 30th - Sonic Dash has switched from a paid download to Free to Play. This change also brings new features like Daily Challenges and some other stuff.

March 19th - A mod has been released that ports the Daytime levels from Sonic Unleashed over to Sonic Generations for the PC. Check out the ModDB page for details, the download, and a trailer.

March 7th - Sonic Dash, an infinite running game, is out on iOS.

There's a fantastic looking hardcover book that recently came out called The History of Sonic the Hedgehog.

SC1FpuG.png

Recent Games and Re-Releases (Click for trailers):

Sonic: Lost World (WiiU, 3DS) - October 2013

Sonic 1 Remastered using the the Retro Engine (Mobile) - May 2013

Sonic Dash (Mobile) - March 2013

Sonic the Fighters (XBLA, PSN) - November 2012

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (PC, 360, PS3, WiiU, Vita, 3DS) - November 2012

Sonic Adventure 2 HD (PC, XBLA, PSN) - October 2012

Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode II (PC, XBLA, PSN, Mobile) - May 2012

Sonic CD HD (PC, XBLA, PSN, Mobile) - December 2011

Sonic Generations (PC, 360, PS3, 3DS) - November 2011

Sonic Colors (Wii, DS) - November 2010

Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode I (PC, XBLA, PSN, WiiWare, Mobile) - October 2010

Previous Thread (12/10 to 02/13)

soempty.jpg
Sterica on

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    About time for a new Sonic game.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Arino needs to play Sonic 2 someday.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I'd rather he play Sonic CD.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Going back to Generations' DLC woes from the tail end of the last thread, I was hopeful but not expectant when it came to new levels. DLC in past Sonic games generally falls into two categories: A) New gameplay modes that reuse levels directly from Story Mode, or B) Brand new level layouts that use preexisting art assets. And I think Sonic Unleashed is the only game that's ever done B.

I'd love to see them pull a Super Mario Galaxy 2, though. Handwave the plot and make a sequel featuring more classic level remakes. And maybe try to make a final level and boss in a 3D Sonic game that wasn't abysmal for once.

But whatever they do, I hope SEGA keeps putting out nice PC ports!

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    bobwocobobwoco Registered User regular
    A question to start off the thread: What do you think is the best post-Genesis 2D Sonic series: Advance, Rush or the Sonic 4 episodes?
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Arino needs to play Sonic 2 someday.

I can only imagine what his reaction would be to Death Egg Zone.

Steam ID: wocobob
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    do advance and then rush

avoid sonic 4

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    bobwoco wrote: »
    A question to start off the thread: What do you think is the best post-Genesis 2D Sonic series: Advance, Rush or the Sonic 4 episodes?

Half of Generations.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I liked Advance, though I only played the first one. I have no love for Rush or the "classic" sections of Generations.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    I liked Advance, though I only played the first one. I have no love for Rush or the "classic" sections of Generations.

Fix that. Immediately.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    First Advance really felt like Genesis Sonic to me. Never really got to play enough of the other two to find out.

I did not like Rush... pitfall city. Rush Adventure seemed to fix that, though.

I liked Sonic 4 Ep 1 well enough, save for the final boss and Sonic's rings not bouncing to be collected when he got hit half the time.

I love the stages in Ep 2, but hate most of the bosses. Metal Sonic on the roller coaster is fine, the one on the Tornado is annoying, and the Eggman fights are just tedious-- they don't feel like Sonic fights at all, but more like Mega Man X/Zero without a gun, only worse. Plus the ending stinks.

But man, those are some gorgeous, fun stages...

...well, except the last one. Why companies seem hellbent on making people motion sick is beyond me.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Advance 2 was the highlight of the Advance series. Advance 3 had a weird mix of HUBS and Special/Bonus Zones.

• Options
    DLC for the PC version of racing transformed is up

it's three bucks in the US

• Options
    Rush & Rush Adventure are my favorite post-Genesis titles

I loved Advance 2 the most of that trilogy, but the original game was too bland and Advance 3 was too slow for my liking.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    I loved how your attacks became more powerful when break the sound barrier in that game. Oh...

AND YOU CAN BREAK THE SOUND BARRIER IN THAT GAME

• Options
    CaptainGanzCaptainGanz Salt Lake City, UtahRegistered User regular
    I liked the 3D portions of Generations better than the 2D parts. The Classic Sonic levels were offputting in their half-assed genesis emulation, I would have preferred them to stick with what they're good at with the 3D levels.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    How are the Sonic games?

Sonic the Hedgehog While it holds up for me, it may seem a bit too slow with features like the spin dash absent. Graphics also have a pretty washed-out look compared to future titles.

Sonic CD Some consider this the greatest Sonic game ever, and I...hate it. While it embraces the open design of Sonic levels, there's SO many annoying back-and-forth "pinball traps" and the time travel element is largely a novelty. Having to search for macguffins to get the best ending isn't much fun. It's not awful, and has a nice soundtrack, so pick up the recent HD release. It's cheap, so you aren't out much if you end up disliking it.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 This is my favorite Sonic. It's gorgeous, has tight level design, the best special zones (AND SUPER SONIC), good music, and it's a real meaty adventure. Also has Tails, but Tails is basically a Sonic clone at this point.

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (I am including Sonic & Knuckles because the two were originally planned as one game) I dunno why I don't have this at number 1, but it's good. Real good. I like the special zones, Tails and Knuckles offer a nice variant on gameplay, the music is fantastic, the levels have neat themes, and so on. Maybe it's because the levels feel a bit smaller than previous games? I have no idea if this is accurate, but sometimes things feel as if they are more linear.

Sonic Adventure: If you can look past the janky camera, you might enjoy this. That camera blows ass though, and the hub world is doing what every platformer felt they had to do after Mario 64 and I hate it. You may love or hate the extra characters, as their gameplay tends to differ radically from Sonic as opposed to the "Sonic but different" way they handled characters in Sonic 3. Graphics do not hold up, with REALLY weird facial expressions.

Sonic Adventure 2: Hub world is gone, gameplay is broken down into speed, shooter, and exploration. The former two are okay, and the latter is one of the most horrible experiences I've had in gaming. The camera HATES YOU actively, which becomes most evident in the exploration stages. It says a lot that the Chao Garden is better than the proper game. Avoid this fucking piece of shit. Introduces Shadow, if you care.

Sonic Heroes: You play as "teams" that have a speed, power, and flying character. I heard it's underrated, but disliked because you basically have to replay it 3-4 times. Some of the worst voice acting in Sonic history, with a Tails that has to be the son of a producer or something. Haven't played this one much, but maybe worth your time.

Shadow the Hedgehog: Not as bad as you might think, but very goofy in its overwrought attempt at being "dark" and "adult." Turns out games about giant running hedgehogs suck at that. Gunplay is interesting, action isn't terrible, and has a branching story path similar to Star Fox. Not AWFUL, but you will have to endure the ridiculous story and tone.

Sonic the Hedgehog (2006): I think this one is infamous enough as it is. It's easily the worst game in the main series, if not in all of Sonic's history, and is a literally unfinished product that was rushed for the holiday season. Do not play this game.

Sonic Unleashed: PLAY THE 360/PS3 VERSIONS. The Wii one is done by Dimps and features very empty, boring levels. This is the first incarnation of what is know as "Modern Sonic," and it's a lot of fun. The only complaint is the "werehog" stages, so your ability to enjoy this depends on how well you can endure those. Not to say they are TERRIBLE, but some people may not want beat-up-em action in their Sonic game.

Sonic Colors: Basically refines the "Modern Sonic" formula, only without the werehog and vaguely Mario Galaxy-esque powerups. A lot of fun, and marks the return of Super Sonic!

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Attempt to bring back the classic side-scrolling. Not awful, but the shitty physics and poor level design make for a very boilerplate experience at best. Soundtrack involved the abuse of cats. Episode 1 is the worst, but you can play all of Episode 1 as Metal Sonic if you own both episodes, and Episode 2 makes some marginal improvements (and brings in Tails) but not enough to to redeem it.

Sonic Generations: Fucking amazing, mixing the modern 3D and classic 2D in a delightful trip down memory lane. This is the end product of the Modern Sonic style, and it fucking shows. Tight level design, fast action, and decent camera make modern Sonic, dare I say it, maybe more fun than the classic style? The classic is still good, but there are minor gripes about physics (I think some say this can be fixed with certain stat-modifiers the game lets you slap on Sonic). Buy on the PC: it's the prettiest, cheapest, and there's quite of bit of modded content of varying quality.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Nicho86Nicho86 Registered User regular
    I liked the Rush titles and thought Adventure was significantly better in terms of level design. The Advance games were good-ish, but got worse each release in my eyes- 2 was a bit straightforward and I didn't enjoy 3 much at all.
    AaronKI wrote: »
    And maybe try to make a final level and boss in a 3D Sonic game that wasn't abysmal for once.

I finally got around to finishing Generations recently (had to wait until I built a better PC!) and good lord. The rest of the game has such great mechanics and interesting design, then out of nowhere there is this awful final battle that wishes it was as good as Doomsday Zone.

Host/Writer of 'The Game Room' - http://www.youtube.com/user/thegameroomAUS
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm with you on actually liking the "Modern Sonic" gameplay more than classic in Generations.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    sonic heroes is almost a great game, not for what it lacks, but for what it has that it shouldn't

specifically the chaotix missions really fucking suck

it sucks to try and complete objectives, usually revolving around finding and collecting things, in levels designed to constantly push you forward

it was a design philosophy that infected shadow the hedgehog to its very core, and is really the biggest part of why it's so hated

the rest of Heroes is just having all the levels have easy, normal, and hard versions, which isn't a bad idea at all

though making you play through all of them AND the shitty chaotix missions to get the final ending is kind of a dick move - this was also something that became much worse when Shadow rolled around

• Options
    AvistTorchAvistTorch Registered User regular
    I hated Sonic Heroes because the glitches kept killing me, over and over again. That was bearable in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 because the levels were shorter and I could easily grind for extra lives, but in Heroes, the levels are long and your power level goes back to 1 after each death, making it take longer to kill enemies, and eventually I would just run out of lives, with at least half my deaths not even being my fault...

I really tried to like it just to spite my brother, who hates it, but in the end I couldn't do it. I should like it -- its level designs are great (except Bullet Station. **** Bullet Station), but the glitches combined with the long levels just ruined it for me.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited February 2013
    AvistTorch wrote: »
    I hated Sonic Heroes because the glitches kept killing me, over and over again. That was bearable in Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 because the levels were shorter and I could easily grind for extra lives, but in Heroes, the levels are long and your power level goes back to 1 after each death, making it take longer to kill enemies, and eventually I would just run out of lives, with at least half my deaths not even being my fault...

I really tried to like it just to spite my brother, who hates it, but in the end I couldn't do it. I should like it -- its level designs are great (except Bullet Station. **** Bullet Station), but the glitches combined with the long levels just ruined it for me.

This. Glitch city. We're talking about springs not taking you where you need to be. We're talking about plunging to your death because the stupid proto-quickstep thing in rail grinding sections doesn't work. We're talking about a camera that looses the character and points directly upwards during precision platforming sections.

We're also talking about checkpoints spaced ten minutes apart.

Frem on
  • Options
    For reasons I can't comprehend, someone made a Generations mod that replaces all rings with Omochao.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tkgEun5RsSg

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    AvistTorch wrote: »

This. Glitch city. We're talking about springs not taking you where you need to be. We're talking about plunging to your death because the stupid proto-quickstep thing in rail grinding sections doesn't work. We're talking about a camera that looses the character and points directly upwards during precision platforming sections.

We're also talking about checkpoints spaced ten minutes apart.

Which console did you play this on?

I remember beating this game to 100% completion on my Gamecube, but I have no recollection of fighting against the game in this manner. Granted thats been almost 10 years ago, so it's possible I've just blocked it out.

DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    AaronKI wrote: »
    For reasons I can't comprehend, someone made a Generations mod that replaces all rings with Omochao.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tkgEun5RsSg

Oh my god.

• Options
    Sonic Heroes, I've only really played the GameCube demo of. I have it now, all these years later, but still need to sit down with it a little.

If I'm not mistaken, Rorus, you only play through one level of each zone from Sonic 4 Ep. 1 in reverse order when you play Episode Metal.

Sonic Generations, I love both styles. And even if you prefer Modern gameplay, it's still hard to deny Classic Sonic's charms as a character.

Speaking of which, there have been mods which allow the two to swap their respective sections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW2Tu7wI22E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqVsZyWHRi8

Why they didn't just make this an unlockable option, I'll never know.

There's also a mod which makes Super Sonic not suck, and features Hyper Sonic as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woARVEzLnlI

Oh, and the 3DS version isn't bad, either.

Regarding Unleashed, I know I've said this before, but the blasted Tornado QTEs are what did me in.

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Sega has finally confirmed Sonic Dash after a week of speculation. It's a mobile game in the endless runner genre, sort of like that upcoming Rayman game. What a good fit for a mobile Sonic game.

• Options
    Certainly sounds like a better fit than remaking Sonic Jump.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Kor wrote: »
    Which console did you play this on?

I remember beating this game to 100% completion on my Gamecube, but I have no recollection of fighting against the game in this manner. Granted thats been almost 10 years ago, so it's possible I've just blocked it out.

I played the GCN version and I can confirm it was exactly as buggy as reported. I had to constantly use flying formation (despite it being the least fun) to avoid being thrown into the abyss every few sequences. Sad part is, if Sonic games stopped stupidly using "extra lives" systems from the early 90s, cheap deaths would only be annoying instead of game breaking.

• Options
    Sega has finally confirmed Sonic Dash after a week of speculation. It's a mobile game in the endless runner genre, sort of like that upcoming Rayman game. What a good fit for a mobile Sonic game.

It would be completely awesome if they released it on a platform with buttons. (Read: 3DS and/or Vita, or fuck, even a console.)

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Well isn't that just peachy.

Wake me when something real comes out.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Can this not turn into a gripefest about virtual buttons before we even have any screenshots or real information about how the game plays? It might not even use virtual buttons, instead opting for a Single-Touch Input like Jetpack Joyride or Swipe Controls like Wind-Up Knight and Mirror's Edge.

I agree that virtual buttons are awful, but there are better touch screen input methods on mobile platforms. Plus it's probably not worth getting worked up over what will most likely be a game intended to be played in 3 to 5 minute chunks while you're waiting to get your hair cut.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Runners are almost entirely designed for touch screens. More complex ones like Bit.Trip Runner tend to get released on hardware with actual buttons.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Runners are almost entirely designed for touch screens. More complex ones like Bit.Trip Runner tend to get released on hardware with actual buttons.

Without a doubt, 100% this is being developed for touch screens. Every mobile device on the market today has a touch screen. It won't be complex like Bit Trip Runner. It's going to be like the Rayman game, only with Sonic.

• Options

Wait, you mean the one that came out a few months ago, or is there another coming up?

• Options
    edited March 2013
    Sonic Dash is out already. That was fast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ucbhL3kubVQ

Up/Down/Left/Right Swipe controls and a Dash button. Looks like it could be fun. Has anyone tried it yet?

Edit: Bummer. iPhone 4 and up, so I won't be playing this one for a while. Coming to Android at some point, too.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    I reviewed it here, if you're interested.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    The PC version of Generations is a lot of fun. I've beaten all the challenge missions and found a good portion of the red rings. But attempting to do anything related to the online stuff is guaranteed to crash the game on my machine. I fear I may never get that "do a time trial on every stage" achievement.

• Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Sonic Generations had an exceptionally good PC port. Barely had an issue on it.

edzepp on
This discussion has been closed.